I need help. My work emails come into my MESSAGES icon. I am able to separate my personal emails (they form their own icon as you know) but for some reason I can't separate my work email. They are on a server exchange and that's the issue. Now this wouldn't be an issue if I could assign a default folder. What I mean by this is, if I go into my messages and hit "view folders" and select my inbox folder, all the messages that show up are my work inbox, but when I get out of that and go back in, it reverts back to everything. I did the separate SMS and everything else, but as you know, you cannot prevent most messages from going to the message icon. Is there a way to set something so when I open up "messages" it defaults to my INBOX such as I have the default set on my calendar so when I open that up it's automaically in agenda view?

Thank you!
    07-31-08 09:49 AM
    I'm sorry, but I can't find any way to make the Messages folder default to opening the inbox subfolder. You've diagnosed the problem correctly, there's just apparently no way to do what you want to do with the native software. I have not used any of the 3rd party email programs, so I don't know what might be possible with them.
    07-31-08 07:22 PM
    ...Now the one thing I have done and works great is custom searches.. now you might say "I don't want to search each time...." but these are saved searches that can be accessed via hot keys. what I did was opened my messages folder clicked search. Now while in search I just changed the Service to what ever email account I was searching for and changed the folder to only inbox. I saved it and assigned the hot key of Alt + C for Caspan email. When I open my messages I hit alt +C and only my caspan email is there.. you can do this for every email service that you have on the BB best part is you can get rid of all the other email icons and just use the messages .. thats what comes up anyways every time you get an email so you might as well use it.
    Your search tip is fascinating. I'd never thought about doing that. After creating a couple of custom searches, I decided to change one. I can recall it and edit the search properties, but when I go to save it, it won't give the same letter as an option. How do you edit a search, or delete it so you can re-create it using the same Alt-letter?
    09-17-08 09:00 AM
    The only option I have found is the 3rd party application called empower BES MailBox. Empower your BlackBerry with HTML Email Viewer and BES MailBox .What this program does is when you open their icon it actually opens the messages application then switched the folder view to Inbox of the BES account. so for 20 dollars you can have some one auto change the folder view for you... I find that it worked OK but was not perfect by a long shot. The reason I say this is when you open their BES Inbox icon you briefly see the messages view then it changes to your inbox and if you hit the ESC key it takes you back to the messages view. so it works but is a work around some one has programmed to just change the folder view in messages when you click their icon. hey if thats all you want its good. other problem is that you hear your email alert and you take out your BB from its holster and what shows up but the messages view which is pointless.. i wish there was a way to change what happens after an alert and you unholster your BB.

Now the one thing I have done and works great is custom searches.. now you might say "I don't want to search each time...." but these are saved searches that can be accessed via hot keys. what I did was opened my messages folder clicked search. Now while in search I just changed the Service to what ever email account I was searching for and changed the folder to only inbox. I saved it and assigned the hot key of Alt + C for Caspan email. When I open my messages I hit alt +C and only my caspan email is there.. you can do this for every email service that you have on the BB best part is you can get rid of all the other email icons and just use the messages .. thats what comes up anyways every time you get an email so you might as well use it.
    Great idea! I'm going to try that instead of buying BES Mailbox. The other problem with BES Mailbox is that you can view BES email messages alone, but not BIS only. For $20, I hope it does more.
    09-17-08 12:33 PM
    Caspan, you are a genius!
    I set up a search for each email account and now i can display only the emails I want to see. Why this is so important is so I can isolate my BES emails from work, or isolate my personal ones and delete all of them at one time.

Jeff, I don't think the searches are editable. I just deleted the old search, and created a new one so I could use that letter.

Gotta love crackberry!
    09-17-08 12:46 PM
    Caspan, you are a genius!
    I set up a search for each email account and now i can display only the emails I want to see. Why this is so important is so I can isolate my BES emails from work, or isolate my personal ones and delete all of them at one time.

Jeff, I don't think the searches are editable. I just deleted the old search, and created a new one so I could use that letter.

Gotta love crackberry!
    Caspan's tip is terrific. And it turns out searches are editable. The same menu where you delete them has the edit function. I don't know why or how I failed to find it before: Search / Menu / Recall / select a search / Menu / choose select, edit, or delete.

Great work, Caspan.
    09-17-08 01:06 PM
    Absolutely ingenious!! Works Great! Thanks
    09-18-08 09:43 AM
    Thank you soooo much! Brilliant!
    09-27-08 12:45 AM
    Is there any way to DEFAULT to the inbox-only view. When I unholster my BB or launch "messaging" I want to ONLY see the inbox. Can someone help?
    01-12-09 12:22 PM
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but if it is the same as the OP's, no. For Messages, the device will always open in Messages first. That is the default, and there's no way to change it with native software.
    01-12-09 01:01 PM
    It is strange then. Because I just recently spoke to a client who has a BB on BES and she said she only sees the messages in her inbox. I can only do that after applying a filter. I have already chosen to hide sent and filed messages. Could it be that, because the messages weren't actually filed on the BB (they were filed with Outlook and Exchange) that is why they are stuck in my messages list?
    01-12-09 01:04 PM
    I recently came across the same problem and solved it by downloading the GMAIL app. I forwarded any additional personal accounts to my Gmail, bypassing the BES Message Icon and allowing it to ONLY manage my work exchange emails. I manage and filter all my personal accounts with the Gmail app.
    06-04-09 07:18 PM
    Now the one thing I have done and works great is custom searches.. now you might say "I don't want to search each time...." but these are saved searches that can be accessed via hot keys. what I did was opened my messages folder clicked search. Now while in search I just changed the Service to what ever email account I was searching for and changed the folder to only inbox. I saved it and assigned the hot key of Alt + C for Caspan email. When I open my messages I hit alt +C and only my caspan email is there.. you can do this for every email service that you have on the BB best part is you can get rid of all the other email icons and just use the messages .. thats what comes up anyways every time you get an email so you might as well use it.
    This is a great tip! Never knew this was possible!

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 10:53 AM
    Too bad there's not a way to reassign the preset hotkeys such as alt+m (mms). i don't need to filter for mms so it's wasted on me.

If anyone knows a way let me know! Thanks!

09-23-09 01:07 PM
    Odd. I have the same device, carrier, and OS, and alt+m is not preset to anything. Perhaps you are running an app that makes that assignment.
    09-24-09 09:44 PM
    Not running any apps that would do that. That is strange. Is alt p preset on your device to phone call logs?

i'm not sure why i didn't try before, but i did go in and edit the preset filters. So it can be done.

09-25-09 02:41 AM
    Caspan's tip is terrific. And it turns out searches are editable. The same menu where you delete them has the edit function. I don't know why or how I failed to find it before: Search / Menu / Recall / select a search / Menu / choose select, edit, or delete.

Great work, Caspan.
    JeffH,

Your tip on how to find, edit and/or delete saved searches was EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Steve
    05-04-11 08:53 AM
    The only option I have found is the 3rd party application called empower BES MailBox. Empower your BlackBerry with HTML Email Viewer and BES MailBox .What this program does is when you open their icon it actually opens the messages application then switched the folder view to Inbox of the BES account. so for 20 dollars you can have some one auto change the folder view for you... I find that it worked OK but was not perfect by a long shot. The reason I say this is when you open their BES Inbox icon you briefly see the messages view then it changes to your inbox and if you hit the ESC key it takes you back to the messages view. so it works but is a work around some one has programmed to just change the folder view in messages when you click their icon. hey if thats all you want its good. other problem is that you hear your email alert and you take out your BB from its holster and what shows up but the messages view which is pointless.. i wish there was a way to change what happens after an alert and you unholster your BB.

I did this when I had a Bold 9700 and It worked great! However I have a Torch now and I can't figure out how to do this w/ OS 6. Can anyone help?...
    05-12-11 11:31 AM
    I forgot about this! Thanks again!!!!!
    11-26-11 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD