Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
02-17-11 02:05 PM
38 12
tools
    Alright everyone, Im sure you have seen some posts asking about replacing an 8320 curve keyboard. Since then I have purchased one from cnn.cn and it arrived in the mail today. I have notices that the instructional videos are few and far between for switching out keyboards. I have decided to post a simple "how to" guide with step by step instructions on how to replace a keyboard on your curve. This is my first stab at creating a guide for anything on CB, so please forgive me if there are any mistakes. If you have any suggestions please let me know and I will edit this post shortly after.

I am in no way responsible for any damaged devices. What you are about to see is a hands on approach, and could very well void your warranty.

So here goes, I will try my best to lay this out in a step by step simplified format.

To start you will need to remove your battery door, battery, sim card and (if you have one) your media card. Although taking the sim and media card out is not necessary to replace the keyboard, it will be much safer to have these set off to the side while working on the phone. In the picture below you can see that I have a torque #5 screwdriver which I got at sears, and a small phillipshead screwdriver that I used for prying small tabs apart. Any small flathead should work fine, perhaps one from an eyeglass repair kit.

Now remove the top left and top right torque screws from the device. After they are loose you may need to turn the phone upside down to remove them from their housing. Make sure to set them aside somewhere where they will not get misplaced.

Now you will remove the plastic housing from beneath the battery door latch and keyboard. I found this step to be the most difficult because I felt like I was about to break this piece, but keep in mind the plastic tabs are located on the end that is secured near the battery door and the end under the keyboard. Your best bet is to use your fingernail to pry up under this housing where the battery door latch is. Once you have both of those tabs popped out, use your phillipshead screwdriver to pull the rest of the housing away from the phone. This will be much easier to put back on.

Last edited by shorynot; 07-24-08 at 11:52 AM.
    07-24-08 04:30 AM
    On YouTube there is a video about disassembling your blackberry, but when removing the front panel the submitter did not remove the side rails. I found that popping them off about halfway down made the removal of the front half of the case much easier. This also gives you a clear view of exactly where the tabs are that latch the front housing in place. You will see in the pictures below exactly how far I pulled the side rails away from the phone in order to take the front half off. Simply use your fingernail and gently pull the side rails away from the phone. They have tabs that will pop right out.

Keep in mind my method was used because I do not have the tools available to pull the housing apart. I simply used my fingernails to gently pull the front half of my BB away from the back end. Working my way around the device and then taking a phillipshead to the small tabs that keep it secured. Once the front half is free you may notice that a small spongy material surrounding the LCD is peeling away from the phone. If it does just make sure not to let it peel it all the way off. This is the material I'm pointing at in the 2nd picture.

Last edited by shorynot; 07-24-08 at 11:54 AM.
    07-24-08 04:31 AM
    Now you should have the front housing completely separated from the phone. And you will notice a circuit board with holes in it (pictured below) where your old keyboard was. Simply align the pegs with your new keyboard with the holes and everything should rest pretty securely. Pop your side rails back on both sides of the phone making sure all the tabs are secure. Press your buttons and make sure everything is lined up correctly. Now put the front half of your phone back in place, making sure these tabs are also fastened. Put both torque screws back in place, make sure not to tighten these screws too much. If you strip them not only will you have hard time ever getting them out again, but you will have definitive evidence that your phone has been opened up. Now attach the housing under the battery door latch, replace your sim card, media card and battery and put the door back on. You should now have a brand new black (or whatever color) keyboard on your 8320.

I know this guide is a bit sloppy, but Im sure it will help some of you that are thinking about making this switch. It is a bit difficult to pull off, but the results are well worth it. I know some people were complaining about the actual performance of the keyboard, and so far I have yet to see a difference. My next post will contain before and after pics. I hope you all enjoyed this!!

Tony
    Last edited by shorynot; 07-24-08 at 11:55 AM.
    07-24-08 04:31 AM
    Before

Last edited by shorynot; 07-24-08 at 11:55 AM.
    07-24-08 04:35 AM
    After

07-24-08 04:42 AM
    Great write-up!

Awesome pictures and step-by-step instructions.

(P.S. : Did you happen to see the keypad LED while under there? Just curious)
    07-24-08 06:36 AM
    Great job gave me an idea, I have an old 8310 and certain keys don't work. I will see if I can get another old 83XXX phone and see if I can fix it good post.
    07-24-08 06:46 AM
    thats great job, tip and instructions!! I am envy of you got black keyboard first before me. I will look at cnn.cn site to order it..

Shorynot, what kind of hardcase you using? (just curious)

Thank you!
    07-24-08 07:02 AM
    Great job gave me an idea, I have an old 8310 and certain keys don't work. I will see if I can get another old 83XXX phone and see if I can fix it good post.
    If keys are not working... it will not be a simple swap of keypad, it would be the membrane or the circuit board

thats great job, tip and instructions!! I am envy of you got black keyboard first before me. I will look at cnn.cn site to order it..

Shorynot, what kind of hardcase you using? (just curious)

Thank you!
    Seems like it is the Seido Hard Rubber, if I am recalling correctly
    07-24-08 08:05 AM
    Great write up, thank you
    07-24-08 10:30 AM
    Awesome write up!!!!! I will refer to this when i change out my case to black.... if they ever come out.
    07-24-08 10:32 AM
    Great write-up!

Awesome pictures and step-by-step instructions.

(P.S. : Did you happen to see the keypad LED while under there? Just curious)
    Hey BM the keypad LED is under the membrane on the actual main board. And there are a few of them not just one.
    07-24-08 10:41 AM
    Thanks guys, im glad you like it. And yes, the case im using is the Seidio Rubberized hardcase.
    07-24-08 11:48 AM
    Hey BM the keypad LED is under the membrane on the actual main board. And there are a few of them not just one.
    Cool!! Thanks for the info man...
    07-24-08 11:51 AM
    Yes, I forgot to mention that I couldn't really pinpoint where the keyboards led was. I didn't remove the circuitboard and with no power to the device I couldn't really tell.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 01:18 PM
    My wallet now dislikes you, I just went to CNN to purchase everything I need. I am sure my BB will like you though, new look coming soon.

thank you for the confidence inspiring thread.
    07-24-08 04:05 PM
    Lol, i hear you inkwell...my blackberry has been a money drainer since i purchased it. But im glad you liked the post though, im trying to think of something else i can create a post about.
    07-24-08 05:36 PM
    You should add it to your signature
    07-24-08 06:43 PM
    Thank you very much
    07-24-08 06:47 PM
    You should add it to your signature
    Good idea, im gonna do that now!
    07-24-08 07:41 PM
    Nice tutorial Shory!! I like, very high quality!! GJ. Rating this thread 5 stars!!
    07-26-08 08:43 AM
    Nice tutorial Shory!! I like, very high quality!! GJ. Rating this thread 5 stars!!
    Thanks brother! I appreciate it
    07-26-08 10:07 AM
    Ok, I recieved my new housing, trackball and USB port. Is there any chance you saw how the USB was physically attached, soldered or snapped in?
    I'm staring at it now and it looks snapped in.
    08-03-08 06:58 PM
    Hmm, ink i wanna say that its just snapped in but i didnt really take alot of time looking at the usb port. I dont wanna give you instructions on something im not sure about. But once you find out feel free to post your results in this thread, that would be a good contribution.
    08-04-08 03:36 PM
    Hey man, where'd you get those funky wallpapers? I need to get thoise on my curve. Thanks
    08-04-08 03:59 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD