Sorry if this has been asked before...I did a search and didn't see anything like it. I was wondering how some themes coming out have a different background for the horizontal lock screen than the vertical lock screen. I'm trying to build my own theme, but no matter what I do the same wallpaper is used in both lock orientations, just stretched/squashed to fit.

Any help you can give would be great. Thanks!
    02-18-09 10:56 PM
    Sorry if this has been asked before...I did a search and didn't see anything like it. I was wondering how some themes coming out have a different background for the horizontal lock screen than the vertical lock screen. I'm trying to build my own theme, but no matter what I do the same wallpaper is used in both lock orientations, just stretched/squashed to fit.

Any help you can give would be great. Thanks!
    Please, I'm interested too in this thing. Anyone can explain how to do?

Thanks
    03-18-09 01:37 PM
    In theme builder next to the device Orientation is a button with a chain or link make sure its off
    03-18-09 02:30 PM
    In theme builder next to the device Orientation is a button with a chain or link make sure its off
    Thanks a lot!
    03-18-09 04:52 PM
    HAHA pinwheel!
    03-19-09 08:18 PM
    Hey guys,

I'm having a slightly related issue... I'm trying to make my lock screen background transparent - so that it shows the current wallpaper that is slected. I have tried to use a transparent image to set as the wallpaper in lock mode, but it just shows up as a white screen. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Pretty much, I want the lock screen wallpaper to work the same way it does in the default precision zen theme....

Thanks!
    07-03-09 04:25 PM
    Hey guys,

I'm having a slightly related issue... I'm trying to make my lock screen background transparent - so that it shows the current wallpaper that is slected. I have tried to use a transparent image to set as the wallpaper in lock mode, but it just shows up as a white screen. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Pretty much, I want the lock screen wallpaper to work the same way it does in the default precision zen theme....

Thanks!
    Well sorry to tell you but you cant do what your trying...if you make a new file in Theme Builder and look at it you see they used the same image for homescreen and lock...but if someone changes the background on their blackberry it wont match the lock screen. I too have felt the frustration of this setup but hey if it worked right, it wouldnt be a RIM piece of software...lol...
    07-03-09 05:48 PM
    Well sorry to tell you but you cant do what your trying...if you make a new file in Theme Builder and look at it you see they used the same image for homescreen and lock...but if someone changes the background on their blackberry it wont match the lock screen. I too have felt the frustration of this setup but hey if it worked right, it wouldnt be a RIM piece of software...lol...
    Thanks for the quick response, WM!

And yeah, I did see what you're saying about creating a new theme and checking out the default settings - that was my first thought too...

Was the default Precision Zen theme made in Plazmic? If so, there IS a way to do it. No matter what you change our wallpaper to in Precision Zen, it will still load it as your lock screen wallpaper. So, IF Precision Zen was created in Plazmic, we know it MUST be possible. Although I'm not so sure it was made in Plazmic - didn't our new versions of Plazmic come out a while later?

My next thought is...
    Is there any way to do this with an svg file? If we found out how to manipulate the code of the lock screen to point to the same place where the wallpaper is pulled from?

Maybe I'm firing blanks and going down a dead end, but a user really wants this and I'd love to deliver it to them... if anyone can figure out, it'd be awesome

Thanks again for the quick response WM! I just don't want to give up hope.... yet!
    07-03-09 05:57 PM
    Thanks for the quick response, WM!

And yeah, I did see what you're saying about creating a new theme and checking out the default settings - that was my first thought too...

Was the default Precision Zen theme made in Plazmic? If so, there IS a way to do it. No matter what you change our wallpaper to in Precision Zen, it will still load it as your lock screen wallpaper. So, IF Precision Zen was created in Plazmic, we know it MUST be possible. Although I'm not so sure it was made in Plazmic - didn't our new versions of Plazmic come out a while later?

My next thought is...
    Is there any way to do this with an svg file? If we found out how to manipulate the code of the lock screen to point to the same place where the wallpaper is pulled from?

Maybe I'm firing blanks and going down a dead end, but a user really wants this and I'd love to deliver it to them... if anyone can figure out, it'd be awesome

Thanks again for the quick response WM! I just don't want to give up hope.... yet!
    Actually Im pretty sure it is possible to do it in codeing its a little complicated and the end user would have to always save the background to the same folder with the same exact name but I think its possible..

Yeah I actually just went and looked at what you were saying about the backgound..lol thats weird...have you tried loading a clear background in the apps screen and outputing the file like that, then try changing the background on a blackberry. I dont know if that will work but its pulling the homescreen background from somewhere..I see that Plazmic is doing in the program even if you leave the original lock screen..but will it act the same on a Blackberry..

Ive learned the backgrounds are weird in Plazmic, my theme I have on here now originally had a transparent background, but for some reason in landscape mode the lock screen bleed through somehow..oh the pains and pleasures of plazmics bugs.. RIM must have hired windows programmers to come up with their software...lmao..
    07-03-09 08:19 PM
    Actually Im pretty sure it is possible to do it in codeing its a little complicated and the end user would have to always save the background to the same folder with the same exact name but I think its possible..

Yeah I actually just went and looked at what you were saying about the backgound..lol thats weird...have you tried loading a clear background in the apps screen and outputing the file like that, then try changing the background on a blackberry. I dont know if that will work but its pulling the homescreen background from somewhere..I see that Plazmic is doing in the program even if you leave the original lock screen..but will it act the same on a Blackberry..

Ive learned the backgrounds are weird in Plazmic, my theme I have on here now originally had a transparent background, but for some reason in landscape mode the lock screen bleed through somehow..oh the pains and pleasures of plazmics bugs.. RIM must have hired windows programmers to come up with their software...lmao..
    Lol yeah, it sure is a pain. But I'm not sure I followed what you were asking up there about a clear background in the apps screen and outputting it like that... sorry! Any clarification?
    07-04-09 07:07 PM
    Lol yeah, it sure is a pain. But I'm not sure I followed what you were asking up there about a clear background in the apps screen and outputting it like that... sorry! Any clarification?
    Ok in Theme Builder:

Click on the Theme The Home Screen Tab in the inspector
    Under the Applications is the background.
    Load a clear PNG for the background. You can make one in composer, just make a new Document normal size with a clear background, then go to File and export PNG.
    Load your clear background.
    Save and output your Theme Builder File.

Load it on your BB
    Change the Homescreen Background
    Hit the lock button.

If the lock screen background is the same as the homescreen you just changed come back here and post that it works...I havent tried it..but the theory seems sound..lol..
    07-05-09 09:08 AM
    Ok in Theme Builder:

Click on the Theme The Home Screen Tab in the inspector
    Under the Applications is the background.
    Load a clear PNG for the background. You can make one in composer, just make a new Document normal size with a clear background, then go to File and export PNG.
    Load your clear background.
    Save and output your Theme Builder File.

Load it on your BB
    Change the Homescreen Background
    Hit the lock button.

If the lock screen background is the same as the homescreen you just changed come back here and post that it works...I havent tried it..but the theory seems sound..lol..
    Ok, just did it, and no, it didn't work... but I'm not following why changing the home screen background would make a difference - isn't it the lock screen background that would change this?

That being said, I tried it with both being transparent, and the lock screen is still just white.
    07-05-09 02:09 PM
    Ok, just did it, and no, it didn't work... but I'm not following why changing the home screen background would make a difference - isn't it the lock screen background that would change this?

That being said, I tried it with both being transparent, and the lock screen is still just white.
    Yeah I was affraid that TB would default to white background, did you load a background on the Blackberry itself?

Or are you just seeing the white screens in Theme Builder?

I thought the purpose of the question was to come up with something that an end user can change their homescreen background and it would change the Lock screen as well to what they chose for the homescreen background.
    07-05-09 03:03 PM
    Yeah I was affraid that TB would default to white background, did you load a background on the Blackberry itself?

Or are you just seeing the white screens in Theme Builder?

I thought the purpose of the question was to come up with something that an end user can change their homescreen background and it would change the Lock screen as well to what they chose for the homescreen background.

Yeah you're right - the purpose is to change the home screen background and have that change appear as the lock screen background as well. So I was thinking that the lock screen background would have to be transparent to allow for the home screen background to "show through" the transparent lock screen background. Make sense?

But to answer your question, yes, I did also change the wallpaper on the blackberry after I had loaded the theme onto it
    07-05-09 03:10 PM
    Yeah you're right - the purpose is to change the home screen background and have that change appear as the lock screen background as well. So I was thinking that the lock screen background would have to be transparent to allow for the home screen background to "show through" the transparent lock screen background. Make sense?

But to answer your question, yes, I did also change the wallpaper on the blackberry after I had loaded the theme onto it
    OK still not a problem Im pretty sure that I can do it in the SVG, however like I was saying the end user would always have to put the same file name on any background they want to load and it would have to be in same folder.

Now I just have to find the file structure setup again for blackberry and it give it a shot. I was looking at it earlier today to find solutions for this question. Once I figure out the SVG code needed for this it will have to be added to both the homescreen SVG file and the lockscreen SVG file, granted I can get it work, no promises, but I am fairly convident that I can figure it out.

As far as the lock screen background with a transparency, well I know that doesnt work, I was trying to exploit bugs in the software doing the way I explained, but some bugs just cant be exploited in our favor.
    07-05-09 03:59 PM
    OK still not a problem Im pretty sure that I can do it in the SVG, however like I was saying the end user would always have to put the same file name on any background they want to load and it would have to be in same folder.

Now I just have to find the file structure setup again for blackberry and it give it a shot. I was looking at it earlier today to find solutions for this question. Once I figure out the SVG code needed for this it will have to be added to both the homescreen SVG file and the lockscreen SVG file, granted I can get it work, no promises, but I am fairly convident that I can figure it out.

As far as the lock screen background with a transparency, well I know that doesnt work, I was trying to exploit bugs in the software doing the way I explained, but some bugs just cant be exploited in our favor.
    Thanks for looking into this! That's too bad about the name always having to be the same I do understand why - to point to the appropriate image... but that pretty much renders this useless for end-users. I don' think we can ask our users to rename and relocate every background they use.

Now, for someone like you and I, it may be something we'd appreciate, but just not likely implement in theme releases for typical users.
    07-05-09 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD