Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I recently talked with a friend who got his new Blackberry with Telefonica in Mexico.

He told me that he had 3MB of data per month, which does sounds like NOTHING to me. Believing he meant Telefonica 3G 3mbps network, I went to their page where you can see that indeed they offer 3MB of data per month, or a way more expensive plan with 100MB?!

What is Telefonica thinking with this plans? I easily do more than 3MB of data per day, in a heavy week I might end up using the 100MB. Why do they have their data allowance so low?

Any users with this plan care to mention how you get away with such low data cap?

Thanks

Jose
    03-03-10 11:46 AM
    It depends if you can use WiFi all day like I do, you may never use that much data.

Out of WiFi 3M is not very much. One MP3 song will put you over the limit. If you just get emails and don't stream anything, maybe 3M is enough.
    03-03-10 12:00 PM
    Maybe its a typo, if not thats BS!
    03-03-10 04:42 PM
    Definately not a typo... They charge like 10USD for 3MB or 25USD for 100MB and worse, they are not even 3G, just EDGE. I honestly do not understand, yet I did told my friend to move to a unlimited plan, dunno if that's possible.
    03-04-10 01:15 AM
    I know in Canada every carrier I've looked at has an "blackberry email" type plan. It allows Instant Messaging (Windows Live, AOL etc) Email, BBM, that sort of thing but NO browsing. Usually thats about $15CDN. Next step up from that plan is 500mb... so I think either their blackberry's are set up different, or that carrier is aboslutely SOAKING their customers.
    03-04-10 07:23 AM
    3mb? I hope it's a typo... I am currently using Telcel on a prepaid BIS plan. I pay around $35 USD for an unlimited plan which gives me everything: email, socialnetworks, IM, browsing and the ability to use my phone as a modem (tethering?) with a "fair use limit" of 3GB. In Mexico, prepaid is more common than contracts (at least I think so). People search for the cheapest form of communication which right now, it seems everyone has a Nextel plan, for talking to anyone for free almost. I hate it because the coverage sucks. Telefonica Movistar is considered the "cheapest" and Telcel (GSM) and Iusacell (CDMA) are the bigger ones. Kinda like AT&T/Verizon. If your friend really needs BIS and doesn't want a contract, tell him to get the 8520 with Telcel. It seems to be the better choice for me.

EDIT: Wanted to add that Movistar is just now getting into the BB/BIS thing, Iusacell and Telcel seem to have had the BB thing going on for a much longer time. Currently the newest phones are the 8520, 8220, 9700(3G) for Telcel and the Tour1 and Storm1 for Iusacell (3G). I'm getting the 9700 later, and I just saw a Red & Black 8520!! Looked pretty sexy, might get that to switch between Black 8520 and Red 8520...
    Last edited by JRF_8520; 03-13-10 at 03:32 PM.
    03-13-10 03:26 PM
    Definately not a typo... They charge like 10USD for 3MB or 25USD for 100MB and worse, they are not even 3G, just EDGE. I honestly do not understand, yet I did told my friend to move to a unlimited plan, dunno if that's possible.
    I was so intrigued by this that I went to their site. I think there's been a misunderstanding between either your friend and the Rep, or him/her and yourself. Movistar is offering a very similar prepaid plan (2, 7, 15 and 30 days) for a certain amount of "saldo" or credit. The only unlimited one is the 30 day plan but it won't allow usage of the device as a modem. I don't know if they have a "fair use" limit, like my 3GB. There is also some extra info on the site about a service called "T_Conecta" which I don't really know what it is. If he doesn't need that service, then the 30 days of unlimited service (I'm guessing BIS) comes out to about $30 USD.
    03-13-10 03:58 PM
    Yeah that is on prepaid, but on Postpay (Contract) they offer 3 Blackberry Plans:

Blackberry Correo Just email, with 3mb of data (don't get this 3mb limit)
    Blackberry Emprendedor BIS with 3mb of data
    Blackberry Ilimitado BIS with 100mb of data

I simply do not get the first two options. Telcel (which is theorically more expensive) charges around 380 Pesos for the Blackberry Unlimited, with 500mb of data and then they throttle you, the Blackberry Unlimited of Movistar offers 100MB for 300 pesos, I just find it not worth it, as if you go over, they do charge you while in Telcel you just crawl for the rest of the month.
    03-14-10 04:19 AM
    Yeah that is on prepaid, but on Postpay (Contract) they offer 3 Blackberry Plans:

Blackberry Correo Just email, with 3mb of data (don't get this 3mb limit)
    Blackberry Emprendedor BIS with 3mb of data
    Blackberry Ilimitado BIS with 100mb of data

I simply do not get the first two options. Telcel (which is theorically more expensive) charges around 380 Pesos for the Blackberry Unlimited, with 500mb of data and then they throttle you, the Blackberry Unlimited of Movistar offers 100MB for 300 pesos, I just find it not worth it, as if you go over, they do charge you while in Telcel you just crawl for the rest of the month.
    Wow that really sucks :S
    I'd rather stay with Telcel. When I asked about changing my prepaid to postpaid without losing my number, I was offered the Blackberry plan Mas x Menos for about 490 pesos a month and it was also with the 3gb limit. There used to be a 500mb limit, now they just offer the unlimited BIS with Tethering with the 3gb limit. It just depends on how many minutes you use a month, so the plans go from 490 (60 min) to about 1000+ for unlimited everything. Not sure what their last plan offers. Maybe your friend should consider getting a Mas x Menos1 and if all his friends are on movistar, he can buy a cheap-o prepaid phone for them xD.
    Anyway, that really sucks being stuck with those plans. Tell your friend to think it over, maybe he can transfer over to Telcel for free. In mexico they let us switch carriers and keep our number for free, at least on prepaid. I think contract numbers can too but using a different procedure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 08:17 AM
    You can switch your number on postpay plans as well. As far as I know there are no unlimited plans in Telcel or Movistar, I just think Nextel has it. Yet the calls to cellphones are limited to 3 minutes and they will bill you for any additional minute (so you end up calling the same person 30 times for 3 minutes instead of one call)
    03-14-10 03:11 PM
    You can switch your number on postpay plans as well. As far as I know there are no unlimited plans in Telcel or Movistar, I just think Nextel has it. Yet the calls to cellphones are limited to 3 minutes and they will bill you for any additional minute (so you end up calling the same person 30 times for 3 minutes instead of one call)
    They should create an unlimited plan. I really use my phone more for chat/email/fb. So minutes aren't as important to me. At least I have the 3gb limit instead of 3mb
    I wanted the 8350i with Nextel but iDen is too slow for me. EDGE is okay, but soon I'll get the Bold2

03-14-10 03:32 PM
    A friend had the 8350i with Nextel, he can barely chat with it. When he sends me something over BBM it takes sometimes over 10 minutes for a 300KB photo. Yet he told me that his data plan covered all Nextel network, so when he came to the US he used his Nextel like he was on Mexico an he was not charged a dime. Yet some disadvantages include he can't use Youtube nor any streaming service. Plus any App update means having the phone downloading data for a LONG time.

EDGE rules, and trust me you will LOVE your 9700!
    03-14-10 07:08 PM
    A friend had the 8350i with Nextel, he can barely chat with it. When he sends me something over BBM it takes sometimes over 10 minutes for a 300KB photo. Yet he told me that his data plan covered all Nextel network, so when he came to the US he used his Nextel like he was on Mexico an he was not charged a dime. Yet some disadvantages include he can't use Youtube nor any streaming service. Plus any App update means having the phone downloading data for a LONG time.

EDGE rules, and trust me you will LOVE your 9700!
    I wish there weren't any roaming charges my blackberry is always disconnected while visiting the States, mainly because its prepaid and it'll eat my credit, I think. Anyways, I can't wait to get my 9700! Just got to save up a bit more

03-14-10 08:54 PM
    Lol I easily use 3MB per day
    03-15-10 02:47 AM
    That's not a joke, neither a typo.

Telefonica Movistar Venezuela also offer this 'data plan'. They say this plan is perfect for people that just receive emails on their BlackBerrys. I don't know how a person can survive an entire month with only 3 mb, I expend around 15mb everyday.

The cost of 3mb plan on Telefonica Movistar Venezuela is 12 US$
    There are also 500mb, 1GB and 2GB plans.
    more info at movistar.com.ve/tarifas/tcelular/servagre.asp#servicioblackberry
    04-30-10 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD