Any fans of Formula 1 should realize the Blackberry Monaco and it's GSM counterpart, the Monza are named after race tracks/locations. Hmm... I wonder who at RIM came up with those names?

Anyways, Blackberry World is May 3-5. The Monaco F1 2011 race is May 26-29, which is shortly after, around the time the new Blackberrys are supposed to drop. Could we see a release then? Maybe someone gave us that codename as a hint. Or I might just be thinking too much into this....

Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 03-29-11 at 01:57 PM.
    03-29-11 03:39 AM
    I'm not an avid watcher of the F1 series, truth be told I never watch it, but I am into racing video games. After seeing the codenames "Monaco" and "Monza", I immediately thought of racing as well. IDK how much you're reading into this, or even if you are, but it would be cool if this "coincidence" would actually pan out. Not to mention that the race in Monaco is actually a couple of days before my birthday. I'm not that optimistic, but it would be kind of cool to get the Monaco as a gift. In either case, if the device does drop before my upgrade in August, I'm snagging that baby up and paying full price. My two-and-a-half-year-old Storm 1 is nearing it's end.
    03-29-11 03:49 AM
    Well the Storm was also connected to F1 so you could be right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 05:49 AM
    Anyways, Blackberry World is May 3-5. The Monaco F1 2011 race is May 26-29, which is shortly after, around the time the new Blackberrys are supposed to drop. Could we see a release then? Maybe someone gave us that codename as a hint. Or I might just be thinking too much into this....
    Yes, you probably would be thinking too much into it for Monaco, there's probably no way they would choose a codename 9 months or whatever in advance when there would be so many variables that could change that date.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if they then chose a linked codename for the umts version and our challenge would be then guessing other cities, locations that would fit this pattern.
    03-29-11 10:55 AM
    Don't hate Skeeve! Ill be back when it releases within those dates! Jk.

Just saying it was an interesting coincidence. I still feel like it'll release may-june regardless. The time is near!

03-29-11 11:12 AM
    The dates wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, the connection is more tenuous than that one people dreamt up based on the use of that gehry wallpaper prior to mwc.
    03-29-11 11:15 AM
    I don't want to upset anyone, but the CDMA version will be out earliest July, likely late August, and the GSM version likely not until September. The OS is still under v. 100. It has a while to go. lots of features in the OS are still not even decided on let alone nearing completion.

Sorry.
    03-29-11 11:26 AM
    Source?

Even if it is under .100. I think within 2-3 months it will be much higher as history has shown. Also, if you're referring to the regional CDMA leaked roadmap, it says July-August. But remember, regional carriers always get their phones later than the main carriers, sometimes months later!

We've seen that Verizon has already been testing it for awhile so it seems close with a release shortly after BB World.

03-29-11 11:35 AM
    Source = (Sources) . You will have to see several of my other posts with regard to the veracity of my Monza sources. I am not referring to the roadmap. That is a goals list, NOT an internal 'drop dead' release date. Hence see the date of release of the regional CDMA release for the Playbook.

Intra company relations between a certain CDMA carrier and RIM...you know, I can't go there either. I think It is safe to say that software testing and issues are not dealt with in the same way for all phone manufacturer's. It is unfortunate for these boards that some sources feel quite negative about their experiences here; or we would surely see more of these 2011 devices and hear more about the changes in the OS.
    03-29-11 11:49 AM
    I don't want to upset anyone, but the CDMA version will be out earliest July, likely late August, and the GSM version likely not until September. The OS is still under v. 100. It has a while to go. lots of features in the OS are still not even decided on let alone nearing completion.

Sorry.
    Like the other person said, the CDMA roadmap IS for local carriers, pretty sure At&t and Verizon and Sprint will be releasing the Bold Touch and Monaco and Monza late May early June

03-29-11 11:58 AM
    The odds are that the first 6.1 device launched by at&t will be the torch 2 rather than the Monza or Bold Touch.

I think May is too early to expect these devices, I think we will get confirmation of the dates at their show in May with the first devices launching mid to late June.
    03-29-11 12:09 PM
    Like the other person said, the CDMA roadmap IS for local carriers, pretty sure At&t and Verizon and Sprint will be releasing the Bold Touch and Monaco and Monza late May early June

Oh, ok. You're probably right, I would advise you to ignore anything I've said on the matter.
    03-29-11 12:09 PM
    I am not referring to the roadmap. That is a goals list, NOT an internal 'drop dead' release date. Hence see the date of release of the regional CDMA release for the Playbook.
    Right. It definitely is not a release date. Since you're using another device like the Playbook as an example, I'll use the 9300.

The same roadmap with the future BBs (Monaco, Montana, etc.) on it put the Blackberry 9300 (9330) at Q1 2011. For a regional carrier like US Cellular, the 9330 came out 11/2/10, which is a little before Q1 2011. I'd say pretty close and actually earlier.

The same phone ended up coming out for Verizon and Sprint 9/16/10 and 9/26/10 respectively.

I don't mean to say you or your sources are wrong, just telling you where I'm basing my opinion.

Definitely a possibility
    03-29-11 12:12 PM
    Right. It definitely is not a release date. Since you're using another device like the Playbook as an example, I'll use the 9300.

The same roadmap with the future BBs (Monaco, Montana, etc.) on it put the Blackberry 9300 (9330) at Q1 2011. For a regional carrier like US Cellular, the 9330 came out 11/2/10, which is a little before Q1 2011. I'd say pretty close and actually earlier.

The same phone ended up coming out for Verizon and Sprint 9/16/10 and 9/26/10 respectively.

I don't mean to say you or your sources are wrong, just telling you where I'm basing my opinion.

Definitely a possibility
    Also, hasn't RIM released their NEW phones usually in late May-early June? (Curve 8330 in June 2008 and Bold 9650 May 2010) stands to reason (and to slow down the pull of the Android market from RIM) that a late May release would just make sense?

03-29-11 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD