Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I've gotten a taste of having Wi-Fi Calling while traveling, so what would it take to get Wi-Fi Calling supported on the Passport, and the Z30, while we're at it? Obviously both BlackBerry and T-Mobile USA play a part, but who would be best to petition first so that the pieces are in place so that the other will just need to agree?
    mkelley65 likes this.
    10-10-14 04:45 PM
    That would most likely be carrier dependent.
    10-10-14 04:55 PM
    I would say T-Mobile. BlackBerry has made the phones capable of WFC, next step would be the carrier (TMO) accepting these phones for WFC.
    10-10-14 04:59 PM
    T-Mobile is responsible. They would have to accept support for the Z30. And, if they accept support for WFC then they'd likely have to accept support for other questions and issues on the hardware. None of that would happen if they aren't making money from it. With the Z30 already a year old, I don't see it happening.

Not being negative, just realistic.

[CB10 / Q10]
    10-10-14 11:11 PM
    Every carrier so everyone can enjoy

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.1.396
    10-10-14 11:17 PM
    It would be T-Mobile. I doubt that they would support a phone that is not T-Mobile branded. Although I do recall they had made an exception in the past with the iPhone when they did not carry it. I was told from a higher up that they would just have to add the phone in the system and there would need to be a demand for it. Thus I assume a petition...

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 11:10 AM
    It is necessary to Petition John Chen to renew T MOBILE's contact to sell BlackBerry Devices. Why should Loyal T Mobile Customers suffer. BlackBerry did not renew the Contract. BlackBerry should. Legere has publicly admitted T MOBILE Should be able to give Customers what they do. I tweet @blackberry most everyday. What would be better than a BlackBerry Device on the T MOBILE jump program. #BlackBerry4All #MagentaBerry

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:14 PM
    @BlackBerry @socialmediaweek plz get Chen to call Legere I'm Dreaming of a BB Passport with T MOBILE branding #BlackBerry4All #MagentaBerry
    I'm @leojzueg On twitter retweeet me till @blackberry gives in

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:18 PM
    Legere on CNET reaching out to Chen

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:25 PM
    Legere on CNET reaching out to Chen
    1. Stop spamming this thread
    2. Legere is a pompous, phony tool. Reaching out to Chen, while running a promo to get BB users to switch to Samsung, and then mocking your beloved Passport.
    10-16-14 01:50 PM
    Even if Chen did relent and give T-Mobile another opportunity to sell BlackBerry phones, there is a terrible culture in T-Mobile stores that is anti-BlackBerry, and what guarantee would Legere make to suddenly LOVE selling BlackBerry?

Its hard to believe that T-Mobile would actively sell BlackBerry over their precious Galaxy and iPhone offerings. When they did sell BlackBerry phones in the past, you could go into stores and see the most filthy BB phones imaginable on the display, with keys missing, or totally non-functioning phones. It was definitely a "hate these BlackBerry phones" attitude LONG BEFORE Chen was ever CEO of BlackBerry!
    10-16-14 07:16 PM
    Why is it the people who are outraged over T-Mobile USA's CEO not T-Mobile's customers? Why aren't you tending to your own carrier's redirection of customers from BlackBerry to other devices? Where's the Z30 on AT&T? Where's the Passport on Verizon?
    leojzueg likes this.
    10-16-14 09:12 PM
    Incorrect, quasi-defensive generalizations and redirects aside, I hear that WFC is coming to the Nexus 6. Apparently it's going to get WFC as well. So that's two platforms now where TMO doesn't approve OS updates, that are getting WFC.
    10-16-14 09:27 PM
    Incorrect, quasi-defensive generalizations and redirects aside, I hear that WFC is coming to the Nexus 6. Apparently it's going to get WFC as well. So that's two platforms now where TMO doesn't approve OS updates, that are getting WFC.
    It sounds like the main limitation of whether a device gets WFC is whether T-Mobile USA sells the phone or not, independent of whoever controls the OS updates. Since BlackBerry pulled the license, then there's no way for future BlackBerry devices to have WFC. How exactly do we get past this impasse, then?

Here's what I want from another carrier:

1. $50 unlimited data (1 GB 4GLTE cap is okay), txt (domestic and international), and voice
    2. Wi-Fi Calling for free calls when traveling abroad
    3. Free unlimited data (500 MB 4G cap), txt and $0.20/minute voice when traveling abroad
    4. Corporate discount

Any suggestions?
    10-17-14 12:07 AM
    It sounds like the main limitation of whether a device gets WFC is whether T-Mobile USA sells the phone or not, independent of whoever controls the OS updates.
    I wouldn't be quite sure of this yet: Nexus 6 coming to T-Mobile, available from November 12 TmoNews

After an OTA software update, itll become the first Nexus device to support Wi-Fi calling thanks to capabilities baked in to Android 5.0.
    If these capabilities hook up non-branded Lollipop devices with WFC, TMO's going to have some 'splainin to do.

Here's what I want from another carrier:

1. $50 unlimited data (1 GB 4GLTE cap is okay), txt (domestic and international), and voice
    Get the best Cell Phone Plans with Sprint

$50 unlimited everything for the new iPhones, $60 (unlimited everything, including data) for other phones. Cheaper than TMO. Most likely no international texting included, but that's irrelevant to most people. I do recognize you asked for it.

2. Wi-Fi Calling for free calls when traveling abroad
    Sprint Services - Sprint Wi-Fi Calling

3. Free unlimited data (500 MB 4G cap), txt and $0.20/minute voice when traveling abroad
    Probably not included. Again, irrelevant to most people, but I do recognize you asked for it. I'm not sure where you get the 500 MB 4G cap, as that's not free. It's $50. And not guaranteed to be 4G (if by 4G you mean LTE.)

4. Corporate discount
    Sprint Discount Program

BTW...corporate discounts for new customers are gone on TMO: About the T-Mobile Advantage Program | T-Mobile Support

Legere tried to be cute about the way he tried to rid of corporate discounts for all customers (calling them "unfair and part of what needs changing in the US wireless industry")...only to back down when faced with a mini revolt and keep offering them to existing customers. Bringing change to the US wireless industry one backtrack at a time, how commendable!

AT&T has a $50 1GB data plan too, when you BYOD. AND they offer corporate discounts.

So, in summary, TMO may be the best option for you based on needs overseas, so I'm glad you've found something that suits you. But most people don't care about international services and WiFi calling. They care about money, domestic coverage, and domestic coverage for the money.
    10-17-14 12:52 AM
    I wouldn't be quite sure of this yet: Nexus 6 coming to T-Mobile, available from November 12 TmoNews

If these capabilities hook up non-branded Lollipop devices with WFC, TMO's going to have some 'splainin to do.

Get the best Cell Phone Plans with Sprint

$50 unlimited everything for the new iPhones, $60 (unlimited everything, including data) for other phones. Cheaper than TMO. Most likely no international texting included, but that's irrelevant to most people. I do recognize you asked for it.

Sprint Services - Sprint Wi-Fi Calling

Probably not included. Again, irrelevant to most people, but I do recognize you asked for it. I'm not sure where you get the 500 MB 4G cap, as that's not free. It's $50. And not guaranteed to be 4G (if by 4G you mean LTE.)

Sprint Discount Program

BTW...corporate discounts for new customers are gone on TMO: About the T-Mobile Advantage Program | T-Mobile Support

Legere tried to be cute about the way he tried to rid of corporate discounts for all customers (calling them "unfair and part of what needs changing in the US wireless industry")...only to back down when faced with a mini revolt and keep offering them to existing customers. Bringing change to the US wireless industry one backtrack at a time, how commendable!

AT&T has a $50 1GB data plan too, when you BYOD. AND they offer corporate discounts.

So, in summary, TMO may be the best option for you based on needs overseas, so I'm glad you've found something that suits you. But most people don't care about international services and WiFi calling. They care about money, domestic coverage, and domestic coverage for the money.
    I appreciate the thoughtfulness of this response.

I used to be on Sprint prior to T-Mobile USA and data speed was pretty bad, though service in the city and plan pricing was good (I was only the $40 unlimited SERO plan.). Adding a corporate discount required committing to a new two year contract, which actually got me to look into other carriers. At the time, Sprint had no BlackBerry BB10 devices yet. They were last to get them and the writing was on the wall that they weren't going to support BlackBerry, given how much the reps pushed other devices, even saying to a customer that BlackBerry's can't tweet or use FaceBook.

Wi-Fi Calling on Sprint is currently for select Android devices only.

The 500 MB 4G data cap I was referring to is for international travel. 500 MB 4G was complimentary, at least according to the txt message I got when I was in the UK. It's unlimited at the slower speed though. I'm guessing that 4G only meant up to HSPA+ and not LTE.

I currently have the corporate discount on T-Mobile so that's why I would still want it on another plan.

I'll have to look into AT&T's $50 1 GB BYOD plan and see how it compares. Already, the Passport travel plan additions don't sound appealing to me. It's much more expensive that buying a local SIM.

I understand that most people don't care about international services or wi-fi calling. I don't care about rural coverage (the big complaint about T-Mobile) as most of the time, I'm in a city, whether it's in the U.S. or abroad.
    10-18-14 01:51 PM
    They were last to get them and the writing was on the wall that they weren't going to support BlackBerry, given how much the reps pushed other devices, even saying to a customer that BlackBerry's can't tweet or use FaceBook.
    . Sprint is just a bad, bad carrier to be on. Frankly I'm surprised they even get so many phones, given their obscure combination of bands, and relatively smaller customer base. They really lucked out with LTE band 41, because that's the one China's using, but bands 25 and 26...no.

I hear they may not be getting the new Xperia Z3. The other three carriers will be.

Wi-Fi Calling on Sprint is currently for select Android devices only.
    True. But if you look at comparable phone buying experiences, the end result is the same. You have to buy new Sprint phones through Sprint, and if you were to do the same on TMO, you wouldn't get a BB with WFC.

The 500 MB 4G data cap I was referring to is for international travel. 500 MB 4G was complimentary, at least according to the txt message I got when I was in the UK. It's unlimited at the slower speed though. I'm guessing that 4G only meant up to HSPA+ and not LTE.
    Interesting. I was referring to this ("Will I get the same high-speed network experience now internationally, as I do here at home in the U.S.?",) which shows no complimentary high speed data. Maybe it was a UK thing, given that TMO has a familial namesake there?
    10-18-14 09:52 PM
    . Sprint is just a bad, bad carrier to be on. Frankly I'm surprised they even get so many phones, given their obscure combination of bands, and relatively smaller customer base. They really lucked out with LTE band 41, because that's the one China's using, but bands 25 and 26...no.
    One thing they did wise up to recently is to discount their iPhone 6 plan heavily. They're still paying for those iPhone 6's, whether they sell them or not, so why not get some customers out of it.

True. But if you look at comparable phone buying experiences, the end result is the same. You have to buy new Sprint phones through Sprint, and if you were to do the same on TMO, you wouldn't get a BB with WFC.
    At least I could get new BlackBerry's.

Interesting. I was referring to this ("Will I get the same high-speed network experience now internationally, as I do here at home in the U.S.?",) which shows no complimentary high speed data. Maybe it was a UK thing, given that TMO has a familial namesake there?
    My mistake. My Q10 is my daily driver, which I switched back to upon returning home. The Z10 was what I used overseas and I fired up the other night to check on what I had read. The txt message was actually an old one, one that was sent to inform me that I had hit my regular domestic 500 MB limit, prior to the new 1 GB limit that TMO extended to all Simple Choice $50 customers. During the trip, I received another TMO message from the same number and saw the txt at the top of the screen.

In sum, no free complimentary 500 MB at 4G. Data speed was fast enough for map updates as a pedestrian though.
    10-21-14 01:05 PM
    One thing they did wise up to recently is to discount their iPhone 6 plan heavily. They're still paying for those iPhone 6's, whether they sell them or not, so why not get some customers out of it.
    That will push them even further in the grave, quite honestly. They have to pay for the iPhones because of the noose around their neck (that they chose to wore,) and now they have to discount plans even more to get customers who have more of a discretionary power. So they're cutting their margins even more.

At least I could get new BlackBerry's.
    Not after the Q10, which is the last BB10 phone released on both Sprint and TMO. And out of these two, there's only one still selling the Q10.

And if they get the Classic, that's one carrier not named TMO that a new customer could buy a BB from.
    Last edited by raino; 10-21-14 at 03:14 PM.
    10-21-14 02:19 PM