I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong section...

I was wondering if maybe I missed it, but does anyone know if there are plans to replace the Classic next year with something very similar but higher spec'd maybe??

Thanks in advance!

Flame suit on...
    09-08-15 09:58 PM
    tmo hasnt annouced anything. evleaks stated that the slider will be released on all 4 carriers in november, but nothing official from tmo. its just a wait and see at this point.
    needsmospeed likes this.
    09-10-15 10:57 AM
    I think a more pertinent question to ask may be "what is BlackBerry going to release to replace the Classic next year?"
    needsmospeed likes this.
    09-10-15 12:01 PM
    I think a more pertinent question to ask may be "what is BlackBerry going to release to replace the Classic next year?"
    Thank you for clarifying, much appreciated. That is what I was hoping to answer at the heart of my question.

I love the single hand operating abilities and especially the trackpad... I am hoping for a refreshed version next year that will have higher grade hardware but the same form factor.

Thanks folks!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-10-15 07:33 PM
    I am hoping for an all-touch BlackBerry. Why can't they have more than one?
    lift likes this.
    09-10-15 07:54 PM
    BlackBerry gave users too many options and have shot themselves in the foot in not being able to keep updating all these form factors every year...

Z10 -> ??? (Z30's screen is too big)
    Q10 -> ??? (Classic has trackpad, unwanted by Q10 users)
    Q5 -> ??? (No new low budget version)
    Z30 -> ???
    Z3 -> Leap
    Classic -> ???
    Passport -> ???
    Slider -> ???
    09-10-15 08:06 PM
    I was hoping, if not for a new Classic, at least they would continue to make it. Since my Classic is in the shop, and I am using my Z10, I really miss the physical keyboard. I can't that Z10 flick to work as well as I used to.
    09-17-15 11:08 AM
    Ditto. And give us band 12 with a Paratek. Basically an upgraded Z30.

That said, I would like to at least play with a slider, but I don't think I will buy another slider again.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-21-15 01:57 PM
    I'm still on a z10. Would love to have a Passport before I go to the slider. Hoping TMO offers the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 04:30 PM
    I'm still on a z10. Would love to have a Passport before I go to the slider. Hoping TMO offers the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Just wait for the next sale on ShopBlackBerry and buy the Passport from them. Your Z10 is already a couple of years old... no telling how much longer it will last.
    09-25-15 05:00 PM
    We're not getting another BB10 phone period. Read Chen's interview/statements. They'll support OS 10 but that's it
    The slider is replacing everything and if that doesn't sell they'll be replacing Chen
    09-25-15 06:29 PM
    We're not getting another BB10 phone period. Read Chen's interview/statements. They'll support OS 10 but that's it
    The slider is replacing everything and if that doesn't sell they'll be replacing Chen
    I doubt bb10 is dead. What Chen is trying to do is get the number of units sold increased. There is a synergy in doing this since from a hardware aspect, there is no difference between bb10 and Android. If you increase the hardware sold, even at a break even price, you have the advantage of volume and scale. That is, you can cut better deals on the components that go into either phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 09:10 AM
    Not saying BB10 is dead at all - just not getting new BB10 phone. And IMHO any benefit of scale might accrue to HonHai (or whoever is building their phones and not to BBRY). Don't think they would sell enough the slice up that pie enough to make a difference.
    From the WSJ Article "While Chen didn't specifically say that BlackBerry will stop producing BlackBerry 10 handsets, if you read between the lines, all the CEO promised was continued support for BlackBerry 10, and updates for the OS in the upcoming year."
    09-26-15 11:17 AM
    Not saying BB10 is dead at all - just not getting new BB10 phone. And IMHO any benefit of scale might accrue to HonHai (or whoever is building their phones and not to BBRY). Don't think they would sell enough the slice up that pie enough to make a difference.
    From the WSJ Article "While Chen didn't specifically say that BlackBerry will stop producing BlackBerry 10 handsets, if you read between the lines, all the CEO promised was continued support for BlackBerry 10, and updates for the OS in the upcoming year."
    But it isn't that hard to make the same phone in both OSes. A PC runs windows, freebsd, linux, and even Hackitosh.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 01:47 AM
    Because they fired most of the hardware people, closed or reduced to a skeleton crew a large percentage of the BB10 support divisions (Blackberry World app vetting team, TAT, developer relations, marketing, etc) closed down a bunch of platform support frameworks (Scoreloop, certain native app advertising frameworks, Adobe Air, Adobe Flash) ended development/support of certain native app development platforms, terminated the API/feature roadmap, are not making money, have a dwindling cash position, and in general have limited resources.

But it isn't that hard to make the same phone in both OSes. A PC runs windows, freebsd, linux, and even Hackitosh.
    If the hardware architecture is not virtually identical to previously-built devices, this would mean they would have to develop an independent branch of BB10 just for that device, which entails a non-trivial investment in time/money to produce, test and maintain. This is probably a key reason why BlackBerry keeps releasing "new" devices which are essentially window-covering on the same things they made before. (Porsche devices, Classic, Silver Passport, Z30 to some extent, etc.)

The only longshot hope I can see for any new BB10/all-touch devices in the next year or two would be if they really did have BB10 running on the Venice at some point, they could presumably make an all-touch device based on that hardware architecture and resume development on the "Venice" branch of BB10 to bring BB10 to it. But something very big would have to go in the company's favor for Chen to be interested in re-building the BB10 development team and going back and building new hardware drivers and so on. This is a very big deal because most of the other companies in the mobile platform business are simply leveraging Linux and all the development work that has been done on that architecture already, including drivers. BlackBerry has to do it all themselves, at no small cost.
    modifier, lift and Centerman66 like this.
    10-12-15 04:24 AM
    The best phone right now would be a Passport with Classic Keyboard, tool belt and reception of the Classic. I would buy that.

Posted with my  Classic.
    10-30-15 08:40 AM