09-29-14 09:50 AM
120 ... 345
tools
    With the report that ATT will have the exclusive I'm out period. I will NOT be on that network. As well as why on BB side would they in the age of very very few exclusive markets would they do this!?
    AT&T might be the only carrier subsidizing it but they're not the only one selling it. You can buy outright direct from BlackBerry. It may be semantics but I wouldn't call that exclusive.

[CB10 / Q10]
    bobbrown likes this.
    09-26-14 05:08 PM
    Wow, T-Mo has really let you down. Apart from the iPhone promotion sent to BlackBerry customers, what else has T-Mobile done to irritate you?

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1154 / T-Mobile USA
    The sales crew has this negative vibe when I say I use a BlackBerry. I totally don't know why. There's no need to be negative. That is why I won't buy any phones in T-Mo stores.
    bobbrown likes this.
    09-26-14 08:25 PM
    I agree that this is frustrating. But John Chen chose not to license T-Mobile to sell BlackBerry products. The only person in the world who can change that decision is John Chen. Legere has reached out publicly that he'd like to see BlackBerry and T-Mobile work together to satisfy customers who are with both companies. I haven't heard anything from John Chen on reconciliation.

I totally think you should do what's right for you. You know your situation best, but if you do the math, isn't it cheaper for you to stay with T-Mo and just buy the Passport unlocked from BlackBerry or Amazon?

By my math, if AT&T's 2 year contract plan costs $15 or more per month than your T-Mo plan, you're losing money even if you get the Passport for the $250 subsidized price. Sure, you'd initially save $349 on phone costs ($599 - $250) , which divided over the 24 months of an AT&T contract would be $14.50 per month. But AT&T plans usually cost much more than $14.50 more per month to buy the benefits you'd get by sticking with T-Mobile.

Here is where I agree with you. Once you do the math, you can find out that T-Mobile is cheaper for the monthly airtime, assuming if you live in their coverage area.

I am waiting to buy the white Passport from Amazon soon. The one thing I can thank T-Mo for is their BYOD policy!!
    bobbrown likes this.
    09-26-14 08:30 PM
    AT&T might be the only carrier subsidizing it but they're not the only one selling it. You can buy outright direct from BlackBerry. It may be semantics but I wouldn't call that exclusive.

[CB10 / Q10]
    I know that, but with me having NO coverage at my home, (im going to whine) I have to have wifi calling otherwise I have no phone, so buying unlocked is great and awesome and honestly the best way to go.... but then I can use it half the time!
    09-27-14 10:22 AM
    I know that, but with me having NO coverage at my home, (im going to whine) I have to have wifi calling otherwise I have no phone, so buying unlocked is great and awesome and honestly the best way to go.... but then I can use it half the time!
    Oh, I see what you were saying. You won't go to AT&T, therefore won't buy a passport since it doesn't support WFC. I'm on board with that. I wouldn't switch carriers just for a phone, although the current lack of WFC on new BB devices does make it a challenge for many.

[CB10 / Q10]
    bobbrown likes this.
    09-27-14 10:29 PM
    Id love to have it, If the booster works and I have signal at home. Im getting the passport if not I have to hope it comes or that there is a second gen and tmo gets in good graces again!
    09-28-14 04:38 AM
    Legere is back to his anti-BlackBerry Twitter remarks.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=962202

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:55 AM
    BTW, Legere didn't run just one anti-BlackBerry promotion. TMO is still running one as we speak: Up to $200 Off New Samsung Phones | Blackberry Trade In | T-Mobile

Talk about talking out of both sides of one's mouth.
    09-28-14 01:20 PM
    BTW, Legere didn't run just one anti-BlackBerry promotion. TMO is still running one as we speak: Up to $200 Off New Samsung Phones | Blackberry Trade In | T-Mobile

Talk about talking out of both sides of one's mouth.
    He never seemed to seriously want BlackBerry back.

Posted via CB10
    bobbrown likes this.
    09-28-14 05:05 PM
    He never seemed to seriously want BlackBerry back.
    Posted via CB10
    Sure, Legere was serious about reaching out to BlackBerry--he wouldn't have told CNET as much if he weren't.

Instead, Chen takes the Passport and signs yet another exclusivity deal, this time with AT&T, a T-Mo direct competitor. That's not a good way to rebuild with T-Mo or keep Verizon people happy, now is it?

So, yeah, my Z-30 and the new Passport will not have T-Mo wifi calling for now. And T-Mobile customers won't have BlackBerry device options for the time being, either. Verizon folk can take a hike, too, says Mr. Chen. Take a bow, Chen, your customers now have fewer options to buy your devices.

And AT&T? BlackBerry matters to them so much that the Passport will launch "eventually" just not along with all the other carriers and companies that have already offered it. Maybe in a few months once Passport gets that redesign/nose job AT&T's been asking for. Wow, that's love.

bobbrown likes this.
    09-28-14 07:03 PM
    I wouldn't knock Legere for a drunken tweet. I still would like to see the Passport on T MOBILE. Heck I'd even get a Magenta colored one if I could. BlackBerry needs to get their Devices carried by all carriers. Even Boost and Cricket. It really was nice offering it on Amazon though even if it was just for a day. I hope the Passport is not out of stock for long. #BlackBerry4All #MagentaBerry

Posted via CB10
    bobbrown likes this.
    09-28-14 07:17 PM
    Sure, Legere was serious about reaching out to BlackBerry--he wouldn't have told CNET as much if he weren't.

Instead, Chen takes the Passport and signs yet another exclusivity deal, this time with AT&T, a T-Mo direct competitor. That's not a good way to rebuild with T-Mo or keep Verizon people happy, now is it?

So, yeah, my Z-30 and the new Passport will not have T-Mo wifi calling for now. And T-Mobile customers won't have BlackBerry device options for the time being, either. Verizon folk can take a hike, too, says Mr. Chen. Take a bow, Chen, your customers now have fewer options to buy your devices.

And AT&T? BlackBerry matters to them so much that the Passport will launch "eventually" just not along with all the other carriers and companies that have already offered it. Maybe in a few months once Passport gets that redesign/nose job AT&T's been asking for. Wow, that's love.
    Re: Verizon, they are said to be looking at the Classic, so they may not be done with BB just yet. And how can you say with a high degree of certainty that Verizon not having the Passport was not a Verizon decision (i.e. they didn't want to carry it,) but a BB decision? There's actually evidence to the former.

Back to TMO. Why is BB going with TMO's direct competitor a bad thing when there is no business relationship now between the two, and TMO through actions has shown every intention of not wanting one? (see link to the previously posted, current promotion) After all, TMO did something similar to BB when there was a relationship between the two, and that was okay with quite a few people here. And I don't see how BB's customers have fewer options to buy devices now, given that ShopBB and Amazon sell the UMTS 1700/1900, LTE 2/4 Passport unlocked and neither seller discriminates/cares about which carrier you are on--unlike T-Mobile who obviously doesn't want it's customers using BBs, and 2) AT&T--a carrier with more buying power and larger third party distribution (should they choose to make the Passport available to authorized resellers like Best Buy, etc.) will be carrying it.

Maybe BB decided to give AT&T the Passport over Verizon or Sprint, maybe not. But you know who wasn't considered at all? T-Mobile. And for that if you want to blame someone, blame TMO and blame John Legere.

BTW, AT&T is said to be launching the Passport next week. Just rumors at this point that I'm trying to get sources for; will let you know when I have some.
    09-28-14 08:26 PM
    If Legere really wanted a partnership with BlackBerry, he could have called Chen directly instead of saying it to a reporter. That is not how to broker a business deal.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    09-28-14 10:23 PM
    In terms of T-mobile representatives telling customers that Blackberry is a dead company and that their phones are defective there was no more dirt thrown at Blackberry like that of AT&T and Beat Buy employees here in Albany, New York! They did it and did it with joy and overwhelming confidence and flair! Blackberry made a few errors as well. Specifically with 2 issues: most representatives would ask customers to establish a tertiary email account vs. A Blackberry email account as their primary on the device. Being dependent upon second party servers to deliver email was most certainly an issue and had zero dependability! No one knew how to log into their accounts to send service books when things weren't going so well and the bad tastes in the mouths of consumers was something listerine could not solve nor a carrier representative. The process was extremely cumbersome and technical and only a few knew the ins and outs of how to correct the issues. Second: the @blackberry.net email had an expiration date of 1 year after moving to blackberry 10 for those that had an account and depended on it. Not a good look at all if you did not know how to circumvent that issue! Not a good look at all!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:38 PM
    In terms of T-mobile representatives telling customers that Blackberry is a dead company and that their phones are defective there was no more dirt thrown at Blackberry like that of AT&T and Beat Buy employees here in Albany, New York! They did it and did it with joy and overwhelming confidence and flair! Blackberry made a few errors as well. Specifically with 2 issues: most representatives would ask customers to establish a tertiary email account vs. A Blackberry email account as their primary on the device. Being dependent upon second party servers to deliver email was most certainly an issue and had zero dependability! No one knew how to log into their accounts to send service books when things weren't going so well and the bad tastes in the mouths of consumers was something listerine could not solve nor a carrier representative. The process was extremely cumbersome and technical and only a few knew the ins and outs of how to correct the issues. Second: the @blackberry.net email had an expiration date of 1 year after moving to blackberry 10 for those that had an account and depended on it. Not a good look at all if you did not know how to circumvent that issue! Not a good look at all!!!

Posted via CB10
    You probably should start a different thread, as you are not on topic. This thread happens to discuss whether or not T-Mobile genuinely wanted BlackBerry back.
    09-28-14 10:43 PM
    Re: Verizon, they are said to be looking at the Classic, so they may not be done with BB just yet. And how can you say with a high degree of certainty that Verizon not having the Passport was not a Verizon decision (i.e. they didn't want to carry it,) but a BB decision? There's actually evidence to the former.

Back to TMO. Why is BB going with TMO's direct competitor a bad thing when there is no business relationship now between the two, and TMO through actions has shown every intention of not wanting one? (see link to the previously posted, current promotion) After all, TMO did something similar to BB when there was a relationship between the two, and that was okay with quite a few people here. And I don't see how BB's customers have fewer options to buy devices now, given that ShopBB and Amazon sell the UMTS 1700/1900, LTE 2/4 Passport unlocked and neither seller discriminates/cares about which carrier you are on--unlike T-Mobile who obviously doesn't want it's customers using BBs, and 2) AT&T--a carrier with more buying power and larger third party distribution (should they choose to make the Passport available to authorized resellers like Best Buy, etc.) will be carrying it.

Maybe BB decided to give AT&T the Passport over Verizon or Sprint, maybe not. But you know who wasn't considered at all? T-Mobile. And for that if you want to blame someone, blame TMO and blame John Legere.

BTW, AT&T is said to be launching the Passport next week. Just rumors at this point that I'm trying to get sources for; will let you know when I have some.
    I hate Blackberry's strategy of agreeing to carrier exclusives when the company is trying to sell as many phones as possible. I hated it when Verizon had the Z30 exclusive, and I hate now that AT&T has an exclusive launch of the Passport. I wouldn't even want a BlackBerry exclusive for T-Mobile.

I just think there's a chance that BlackBerry isn't enough of a value to any US carrier and that the only way it can get picked up by any one of them is to offer an exclusive. So, maybe you're right about Verizon being the one to take a pass on BlackBerry this go-around, especially if Big Red felt the Z30 exclusive was a dud and the rest of BlackBerrydom just isn't worth the trouble.

As for T-Mo, all I wanted was for BlackBerry to be back in the catalog, to get wifi calling support for current generation devices, and to have more retail stores where people could play with a working demo model of the new BlackBerries. I think that could have been worked out, depending on how much BlackBerry would pay for.

I hope the AT&T redesign issue is false/resolved and that they do start carrying the Passport soon. But that would be strange, since Chen had so little info at launch day.

09-28-14 11:26 PM
    To give att credit they seem to be taking a lot if risks with their phone lineup.
    From the Facebook phones, the fire phone and now a new form factor in the passport.
    I really hope their persistence is rewarded this go around with BlackBerry.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    09-29-14 07:59 AM
    I just think there's a chance that BlackBerry isn't enough of a value to any US carrier and that the only way it can get picked up by any one of them is to offer an exclusive.
    Exactly. That's how most exclusives work. They rarely benefit the OEM. IMO the hope is always to hit a home run initially that when the exclusivity period is over, other carriers come begging to you, wanting in.

To give att credit they seem to be taking a lot if risks with their phone lineup.
    From the Facebook phones, the fire phone and now a new form factor in the passport.
    I really hope their persistence is rewarded this go around with BlackBerry.
    Yeah, they do have a home run mentality, don't they? The iPhone, Fire phone, Lumia 1020, Motorola Atrix, and now the Passport. Verizon has this too, IMO to a lesser degree because they're largely reactionary: the Storm (ahem,) the Droid lineup, and the Z30.
    09-29-14 08:27 AM
    Exactly. That's how most exclusives work. They rarely benefit the OEM. IMO the hope is always to hit a home run initially that when the exclusivity period is over, other carriers come begging to you, wanting in.

Yeah, they do have a home run mentality, don't they? The iPhone, Fire phone, Lumia 1020, Motorola Atrix, and now the Passport. Verizon has this too, IMO to a lesser degree because they're largely reactionary: the Storm (ahem,) the Droid lineup, and the Z30.
    Completely forgot about the lumias like the 1520 etc...

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    09-29-14 08:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    There are no service books for bb10.

Who on the planet doesn't already have an email account? And why would the retailer get involved. I don't set up my email in the presence of a sales employee.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 09:50 AM
120 ... 345