Prime Day Deals:FireTV Stick $15 | Echo Dot $23
03-11-14 04:17 PM
31 12
tools
    There have been a few threads with people on CrackBerry relating their experiences with the trade-in program, but on Slickdeals.net, there's a whole lot more:

T-Mobile $200 Trade In Credit For Your Blackberry 02-19-2014 - Slickdeals.net

Frequently asked...

Eligible non-T-Mobile devices:

Sprint 8330 8530 9330 9350 9650 9670 9850 9930 Q10
    AT&T 8110 8310 8520 8900 9100 9300 9360 9700 9780 9800 9810 9860 9900 Q10 Z10
    Verizon 8530 9300 9310 9330 9370 9530 9630 9650 9930 Q10 Z10

Prices on T-Mobile BB10 devices:

Z10 new - $456 - $250 = $206 ($299 at shopblackberry.com currently and only $199 over the holidays)
    Z10 refurb - $288 - $250 = $38 (good price for a spare!)
    Q10 refurb - $384 - $250 = $134 (also good for a spare)
    Q10 new - $528 - $250 = $278 ($499 at shopblackberry.com, $397.50 at Negri Electronics)
    p1800nut and dtarin like this.
    02-22-14 04:36 AM
    Updated info from my own experiences today:

If you have an older BlackBerry that's not on the official list, they'll still take them as a "generic BlackBerry". (Of course, results will vary depending on who you're dealing with.)

I went to a T-Mobile corporate store today and tried to do the deal. I wanted to trade-in my Sprint Torch 9850 for a refurbished Q10. My expectation was to get the refurb Q10 for $384 - $250 trade-in value for the 9850. I would get $50 instantly and the $200 later, after I send in the 9850. The $200 would be credited to my bill in 2-3 billing cycles. The store representative said that she could only order /new/ Q10's from the store system. Another representative said I could do it online. I tried looking online but couldn't find where to do it, so I called Customer Service via 611...

After about three Customer Service calls, I finally got an answer that further clarifies the trade-in offer. It's $200 off any new phone, $250 off any /new/ BlackBerry, but only $50 off any refurbished BlackBerry. This changes the offer to:

Z10 new - $456 - $250 = $206 ($299 at shopblackberry.com currently and only $199 over the holidays)
    Z10 refurb - $288 - $50 = $238 (more expensive than new)
    Q10 refurb - $384 - $50 = $334 (more expensive than new)
    Q10 new - $528 - $250 = $278 ($499 at shopblackberry.com, $397.50 at Negri Electronics)

I've done further research into doing the offer online and found this link:

Cell Phone Trade-In | Trade in your old device for credit toward your bill | T-Mobile

"Get Estimate" reveals that BlackBerry devices are worth $200 trade-in (assuming good condition: powers on, no cracked screen or water damage). So, following the instructions, it would be possible to order any phone and fill out the trade-in offer, all online, though you would miss out on the $50 extra for BlackBerry's.
    Last edited by cbvinh; 02-24-14 at 02:38 AM.
    Carterbits likes this.
    02-24-14 12:52 AM
    Thanks for your update. Two questions:

1. How accurate is that information in regard to refurbished units only qualify for $50? It isn't stated anywhere.

2. Also by doing this online, since every BlackBerry trade in worth $200, is it safe to say you can order a refurbished unit from t-mobile and still get $200 from trade in if #1 is true?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 04:13 AM
    Thanks for your update. Two questions:

1. How accurate is that information in regard to refurbished units only qualify for $50? It isn't stated anywhere.

2. Also by doing this online, since every BlackBerry trade in worth $200, is it safe to say you can order a refurbished unit from t-mobile and still get $200 from trade in if #1 is true?
    1. I learned about the $50 off on refurb units on the third call. I was transferred to Account Services from Customer Service on the third call and it was Account Services that told me. Customer Service was only able to do processing on new units with the trade-in offer, whereas Account Services could do both new and refurb units, but $250 off on new and only $50 on refurb. If you read the Slickdeals.net thread, you'll see that Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), depending on who you deal with at the stores, but through Account Services, it's probably what I was told.

2. I suppose if you did it all online, you might be able to buy a refurb unit and then fill out the trade-in form and get $200 off, but I'm not willing to try it because if they only take $50 off, it'll cost more than a new unit - $250 off. It's at their discretion and who knows what their check systems are. It might be a headache to return everything later should they not apply the $200 and it may take 2-3 billing cycles to find out...
    02-24-14 04:40 AM
    I just traded in my AT&T Bold 9000 for $200 at the store and they wouldn't give me the extra $50 since it wasn't a T-Mobile Blackberry Blah Blah.. But still they had 4 Q10s still in the store so I got out the door for 328 for a brand new Q10 sealed in the box.
    02-24-14 04:47 PM
    Tried again at a different store today and got the results I expected the phone should come in tomorrow so I'm excited that it actually worked out and that we got the 250 off and free expedited shipping as promised

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 08:02 PM
    I got my Q10! I got my Q10! I got my Q10! I got my Q10!
    A perfect back up for my Z10....

Happy.
    02-24-14 09:15 PM
    Can anyone who had successfully traded in an old BlackBerry online for a refurbished BlackBerry chime in? About to pull the trigger tomorrow

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 10:49 PM
    Congratulations! I got my Q10 today as well. It's great to have a physical keyboard again. Still have my Z10 and will probably switch back and forth.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 10:52 PM
    Congrats to all! I was worried that the deal would end soon, so I ended up getting a Nexus 5, with the plan to sell it and get a used Q10. I hope this alternative plan works!

Details:

I brought my 9850 to a T-Mobile store. My expectation was that they would sell me the Nexus 5 at full price and the only instant savings I would get from the $200 discount would be from tax and any accessories I might buy. After entering the details about the 9850, I was told that the $200 discount would be instant and I would only need to pay the difference. Total was $430.65 - $200 = $230.65 for the Nexus 5 and no accessories.

At the end of the process, the customer representative was about the open the box to activate the phone but I was quick enough to stop him. Unfortunately, he already scanned the SIM card number on the outside of the box and my Z10 became "not provisioned". (I didn't find this out until three hours later, when I needed to use the phone.) I guess I'll have to stop by the store again... erg...
    Last edited by cbvinh; 02-25-14 at 02:26 AM.
    02-25-14 02:14 AM
    Dang I picked up a used but mint condition BB 7290 from ATT (Cingular branding) in hopes of it getting me the 250 off a refurbished Q10.

rI'm still going to try and go into the store to see if they will give me the pricing.
    02-25-14 11:35 AM
    Dang I picked up a used but mint condition BB 7290 from ATT (Cingular branding) in hopes of it getting me the 250 off a refurbished Q10.

rI'm still going to try and go into the store to see if they will give me the pricing.
    On another thread, one person was able to order through Customer Service a refurb Q10. The Q10 arrived with an envelope for the trade-in, which would provide a credit in 2-3 billing cycles.

Good luck!
    02-25-14 01:45 PM
    Can anyone who had successfully traded in an old BlackBerry online for a refurbished BlackBerry chime in? About to pull the trigger tomorrow

Posted via CB10
    I previously described my success at getting a refurb Q10 (http://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobil.../#post10036377), but after reading a bunch of other people's post, I think it's completely random whether you'll end up equally happy or totally frustrated. It's like the OP's post that he was told that refurb phones only qualify for a $50 trade-in discount--I think the CSR pulled that one right out of you-know-where. This program was clearly not well thought through. OTOH, that doesn't mean it was a fraud or bait-and-switch as many have claimed. "Never attribute to malice what can be more easily explained by incompetence." (I never have figured out the source of that quote, but it's one of my favorites!)
    02-25-14 01:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure the blackberry curve I traded in yesterday was a refurbished phone. We got it through T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 03:01 PM
    Yeah after hearing about everyone getting $250 credits I called up customer service today and they couldn't find my phone yet in the system so they'll call me thursday and give me my extra $50 credit that the guy at the store claimed I wasn't elgible for lol! But anyway yeah the customer service rep had not a clue what I was talking about luckily I found the article and told them this is what it is "BlackBerry Loyalty Reward offer"
    02-25-14 06:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    I just traded in pearl 8120 for refurbished z10, a backup for my q10. After 250 discount z was $38. I also got $150 off my bold -> q10 upgrade - time ran out for its buyers remorse a week prior to promotion's start.

Obtaining the refurbished z10 via store wasn't easy - a retail support supervisor (via phone call) ended up processing transaction. Apparently the store didn't 'see' refurbished models on their screens and this one in particular didn't know how to go about the purchase of one. Nevertheless, the call to retail (store) support took care of it. Refurbished $38 z10 should be delivered tomorrow. My pearl will be shipped to them and before my new statement generates, all credits will be applied. If not, LOL, I have the supervisor's contact info.

To be honest, she was extremely helpful and went out of her way to make sure I was satisfied, even as I informed her of tmo's horrid mgmt, disorganization, lack of training and detached upper mgmt.. to the point this 'campaign' is teetering on the edge of running into legal trouble.

Anyway, best of luck getting the refurbished. It can be done.

Posted via CB10 Q10
    02-25-14 07:52 PM
    I just traded in pearl 8120 for refurbished z10, a backup for my q10. After 250 discount z was $38. I also got $150 off my bold -> q10 upgrade - time ran out for its buyers remorse a week prior to promotion's start.

Obtaining the refurbished z10 via store wasn't easy - a retail support supervisor (via phone call) ended up processing transaction. Apparently the store didn't 'see' refurbished models on their screens and this one in particular didn't know how to go about the purchase of one. Nevertheless, the call to retail (store) support took care of it. Refurbished $38 z10 should be delivered tomorrow. My pearl will be shipped to them and before my new statement generates, all credits will be applied. If not, LOL, I have the supervisor's contact info.

To be honest, she was extremely helpful and went out of her way to make sure I was satisfied, even as I informed her of tmo's horrid mgmt, disorganization, lack of training and detached upper mgmt.. to the point this 'campaign' is teetering on the edge of running into legal trouble.

Anyway, best of luck getting the refurbished. It can be done.
    I would have been happy with a refurb'ed Z10 as well, but since I already have a Z10, the Q10 was my goal for a backup phone...

I wonder if I could try Customer Care again, have them ship a refurb Q10 to a store and have me swap the Nexus 5 for it, with some cash coming back for the difference...
    02-25-14 08:12 PM
    I would have been happy with a refurb'ed Z10 as well, but since I already have a Z10, the Q10 was my goal for a backup phone...

I wonder if I could try Customer Care again, have them ship a refurb Q10 to a store and have me swap the Nexus 5 for it, with some cash coming back for the difference...
    The store got retail (store) support on the phone to assist. Retail support supervisor's name was Wendy, if that helps you. Not sure about calling customer care, more than half of them know nothing and it takes too much time to get through to knowledgeable help. Maybe cancelation dept will help if you don't go to a store. They gave me 150 toward q10.

Posted via CB10 Q10
    02-25-14 08:31 PM
    I talked to Customer Care last night and after about 30 minutes, I thought we got what my goal was all squared away. The Customer Care rep left a note in my account for the store rep to explain what was discussed. I brought the Nexus 5 into the store today and the store rep listened to my story, checked the note and said it pretty much detailed what I just said to him, but didn't give him any instructions on how to do what was needed. He suggested that I call Customer Care while at the store. The Customer Care rep immediately recognized that she needed to transfer me to Retail Support. Retail Support talked to both myself and the store rep. In the end, here's how my purchase of a refurb Q10 would be handled:

1. I return the Nexus 5, but would get dinged $50 restocking fee, even though the box was never opened. The store rep could do anything about that. ($250 discount down to $200.)
    2. The Sprint 9850 was already in transit to Device Recovery, so I would have to wait for them to process it. Once processed, I would get a $250 credit since I was picking up a BlackBerry for the trade in, not just another smartphone. (Originally, the store rep was going to undo the entire Nexus 5 purchase and give me back the 9850 so I could start everything fresh. Unfortunately, it was already shipped to Device Recovery. Had I gotten the 9850 back, I would have done the optimal way listed below.)
    3. I go online and do a device Upgrade on my account, which allows me to select a refurb Q10. I pay full price for the refurb Q10.
    4. I wait for the credit, and should it not show up in 2-3 billing cycles, I could tell Customer Care to reference the note left by Retail Support, left in my account notes.

I should receive the refurb Q10 tomorrow, based on the estimate from the website.

The optimal way this whole process could have gone for a refurb Q10 would have been:

1. Device Upgrade to a refurb Q10 online. Pay full price for the refurb Q10.
    2. After making the payment, click on the Trade In button. This doesn't appear until after the purchase has been made.
    3. Fill out the details and get a shipping label.
    4. Ship the trade-in BlackBerry and wait 2-3 billing cycles for the account credit.

It wasn't clear that step 2 would happen, so I went a really round-about way to get a refurb Q10.

Hope this helps someone else, though today is the last day of the trade in promo.
    03-05-14 06:40 PM
    I talked to Customer Care last night and after about 30 minutes, I thought we got what my goal was all squared away. The Customer Care rep left a note in my account for the store rep to explain what was discussed. I brought the Nexus 5 into the store today and the store rep listened to my story, checked the note and said it pretty much detailed what I just said to him, but didn't give him any instructions on how to do what was needed. He suggested that I call Customer Care while at the store. The Customer Care rep immediately recognized that she needed to transfer me to Retail Support. Retail Support talked to both myself and the store rep. In the end, here's how my purchase of a refurb Q10 would be handled:

1. I return the Nexus 5, but would get dinged $50 restocking fee, even though the box was never opened. The store rep could do anything about that. ($250 discount down to $200.)
    2. The Sprint 9850 was already in transit to Device Recovery, so I would have to wait for them to process it. Once processed, I would get a $250 credit since I was picking up a BlackBerry for the trade in, not just another smartphone. (Originally, the store rep was going to undo the entire Nexus 5 purchase and give me back the 9850 so I could start everything fresh. Unfortunately, it was already shipped to Device Recovery. Had I gotten the 9850 back, I would have done the optimal way listed below.)
    3. I go online and do a device Upgrade on my account, which allows me to select a refurb Q10. I pay full price for the refurb Q10.
    4. I wait for the credit, and should it not show up in 2-3 billing cycles, I could tell Customer Care to reference the note left by Retail Support, left in my account notes.

I should receive the refurb Q10 tomorrow, based on the estimate from the website.

The optimal way this whole process could have gone for a refurb Q10 would have been:

1. Device Upgrade to a refurb Q10 online. Pay full price for the refurb Q10.
    2. After making the payment, click on the Trade In button. This doesn't appear until after the purchase has been made.
    3. Fill out the details and get a shipping label.
    4. Ship the trade-in BlackBerry and wait 2-3 billing cycles for the account credit.

It wasn't clear that step 2 would happen, so I went a really round-about way to get a refurb Q10.

Hope this helps someone else, though today is the last day of the trade in promo.
    Good going!

Didn't you get the Nexus because they lied to you about BlackBerry availability when you wanted one? (so many ppl and posts, can't recall everyone's details). If so, when all is said and done, I'd call them for a refund of the Nexus restocking fee, as you were wrongfully led by tmo to purchase it when that is not what you wanted and asked for.... their mistake, not yours.

Posted via CB10 Q10
    03-05-14 07:47 PM
    Good going!

Didn't you get the Nexus because they lied to you about BlackBerry availability when you wanted one? (so many ppl and posts, can't recall everyone's details). If so, when all is said and done, I'd call them for a refund of the Nexus restocking fee, as you were wrongfully led by tmo to purchase it when that is not what you wanted and asked for.... their mistake, not yours.
    The store didn't lie about the refurb Q10 availability. They just couldn't order it with their in-store computer system. (They told me I had to go online, which ultimately was the solution.) They were willing to order a new Q10 for me, but it's significantly more expensive, by $144. I got the Nexus 5 as a temporary stop gap to collect on the trade-in promo, i.e. I had to buy a device when trading in.

In the end, I wasn't able to recover the restocking fee, but after more calls to Customer Care, I was able to get the additional $50 on top of the $200 that's the trade in value for a BlackBerry to get a new BlackBerry. So, instead of saving $250, I only saved $200 off a refurb Q10, which is fine. I had spent enough time on this. Looking at my call log, I spent 115 minutes with Customer Care! If they had only made the promo more simple to execute! I wouldn't have lost so much time and they on salaries of those Customer Care employees.
    03-06-14 04:24 AM
    I had no issues with the trade in process in store, no pressure from the sales person to change phones and even agreed that this is a great deal for someone sticking with BlackBerry. I was able to trade in two 8320s and a 9700 for 3 New Q10s. Then on Monday I received an email saying they are on backorder. I just got off the phone with customer care and they said their computers have no timeframe for when they will ship out. Great.
    03-06-14 09:01 AM
    I had no issues with the trade in process in store, no pressure from the sales person to change phones and even agreed that this is a great deal for someone sticking with BlackBerry. I was able to trade in two 8320s and a 9700 for 3 New Q10s. Then on Monday I received an email saying they are on backorder. I just got off the phone with customer care and they said their computers have no timeframe for when they will ship out. Great.
    I guess the promo was pretty successful to cause T-Mobile to run out of stock, especially with BlackBerry's given the 94% switch rate recently leaked.

My order shipped last night and I should hopefully be receiving it today, unless a signature is required, in which case I'll need to arrange for pick-up.

Good luck with your order!
    03-06-14 12:46 PM
    Update:

Thank you T-Mobile loyalty dept!

What a runaround I've had since last Friday. To make a long story short - I got a brand new Q10 for the price of a refurb Q10 (+ no taxes or overnight delivery charge.)

Walked into a local Tmo store and they were baffled when I showed them my 7290 Cingular wireless crackberry :/They had no clue on how to process the trade-in order so I had to order via phone with a 611 rep which the store employee aided with. The phone rep overcharged me for a new blackberry when what I wanted was a refurbished unit. As a "sorry for the headache: t-mobile loyalty ended up giving me the stated offer above because I just wanted to walk away from the whole ordeal.

The phone just arrived via ups and I couldn't be happier Noticed the date of manufacture on the outer box says 02-10-13 which means this phone has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for almost a year, what a shame.

Have others had such a hard time with this offer as I have?

T-mobile loyal for years to come.... Time to sell my backup LG l9 on Swappa!
    03-06-14 12:58 PM
    You're lucky I took a 8310 and a 8320 in to trade they said I could only do one.
    The rep on 611 said I could take both in and get 400 dollars off whatever phone I wanted.

When I explained this to the in store rep and asked him to check the notes on the computer, he said what they do in the store and at customer care are two different things.

This after saying that "BlackBerry are obsolete".

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 01:01 PM
31 12