09-27-14 08:23 AM
45 12
tools
    Interesting. You said your text on WFC during flights--that includes with the Z10, right? I don't think that's going to be getting any TMO "updates" any time soon.

Re: the Android, I would just manually turn off the mobile network, bluetooth, etc--harmless connections that shouldn't be triggering WFC shutdown.
    Right I use the Z10 99%. The problem with the Android is nothing shuts down WFC except a/p mode. So sure, if you didn't put it in a/p mode. it would work. What we really need is an airplane mode app that puts a bogus a/p mode symbol in the top of the phone.
    09-11-14 10:12 PM
    Right I use the Z10 99%. The problem with the Android is nothing shuts down WFC except a/p mode. So sure, if you didn't put it in a/p mode. it would work. What we really need is an airplane mode app that puts a bogus a/p mode symbol in the top of the phone.
    show a previous screenshot full screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 10:37 PM
    Interesting, so there seems to be two parts of this "software update." One is to allow WFC while in airplane mode. But is there a second component that allows connecting to Gogo's onboard router for free? Scrannel, are you able to use the Gogo server for free with your Z10?
    09-11-14 11:29 PM
    I text on flights all the time using WFC over GoGo. Yes, you have to pay for it. To my knowledge, no in-flight wifi is free for public users at the moment.

Regarding airplane mode on or off, I've never turned airplane mode on with any device since going from AMPS to GSM 15 years ago and haven't crashed a bird yet. Mute works just fine. If BB doesn't release an update allowing WFC texting while in airplane mode then not a care will be given in my seat.

[Q10]
    09-12-14 03:09 AM
    For me, a long time tmobile and BlackBerry customer, the time has finally come for me to choose one or the other.

And the answer is....I'm staying with tmobile and moving to an iPhone. Wifi calling is the killer for me, but also, even though don't need many apps, I'm getting very tired of the still far from perfect compatibility with many android apps. It's just not work the pain.

So sorry to be saying good bye to my BlackBerry, but it was great while it lasted.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 06:07 AM
    show a previous screenshot full screen.

Posted via CB10
    Of my Motorola Defy?

I have no idea what's in whatever update, I was just commenting on the difference between two phones as they are now. Yes, I have to pay for wifi but can text message using WFC with my Z10. All I'm saying is, if they wanted to kill WFC every time you turned on a/p mode they can do it by something as simple as pushing an MR.
    09-12-14 08:23 AM
    For me, a long time tmobile and BlackBerry customer, the time has finally come for me to choose one or the other.

And the answer is....I'm staying with tmobile and moving to an iPhone. Wifi calling is the killer for me, but also, even though don't need many apps, I'm getting very tired of the still far from perfect compatibility with many android apps. It's just not work the pain.

So sorry to be saying good bye to my BlackBerry, but it was great while it lasted.

Posted via CB10
    But wifi calling works on BlackBerry. What am I missing here?

I just can't see any BlackBerry owner going iphone. The systems are so different. BlackBerry to Android isn't that much of a shock to the system.

With AT&T adding wifi calling, I rather just dump TMobile and maintain BlackBerry support. Of course if I had AT$T service, I wouldn't need wifi calling.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 01:14 PM
    I noticed wifi calling is absent from 10.3 at this point. I'm thinking 10.2 may be the end of WFC on a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 01:27 PM
    I noticed wifi calling is absent from 10.3 at this point. I'm thinking 10.2 may be the end of WFC on a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    It seems odd an upgrade would break wifi calling. The 10.3 in use are leaks, right?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 06:27 PM
    There was a thread about WFC working on a 10.3 leak. Here it is: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=930948
    09-12-14 06:59 PM
    I'd also like to point out that in theory the new wifi calling won't need an app. So future BlackBerry phones might work on TMobile wifi calling.

I mean going iphone is crazy talk!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 08:01 PM
    T-Mobile store at the corner of Market and 3rd street (669 Market Street).
    Dangit, that's like 3 blocks from my office. Wish I would have seen this earlier.
    09-12-14 08:37 PM
    I'd also like to point out that in theory the new wifi calling won't need an app. So future BlackBerry phones might work on TMobile wifi calling.
    Man...I hope so. TMO has been crazy proprietary with WFC from the beginning.
    09-12-14 08:40 PM
    Man...I hope so. TMO has been crazy proprietary with WFC from the beginning.
    Right, but if they really believe in BYOD, they can't be as picky.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 06:23 AM
    There was a thread about WFC working on a 10.3 leak. Here it is: 10.3.0.296 WIFI CALLING WORKS! (T-Mobile) - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Perhaps it worked with earlier leaks. I went from 10.2 straight to 10.3.0.1154 and it does not.
    At least not for me. Just says disabled. Otherwise, everything is cool.
    I'm at a crossroads of sorts and trying to decide whether to stick it out with T-Mobile, or go back to AT&T.
    The WiFi issues, and the T-Mobile/Blackberry relationship are factors, so I am watching to see how things play out.
    jskerutis likes this.
    09-15-14 04:57 PM
    Perhaps it worked with earlier leaks. I went from 10.2 straight to 10.3.0.1154 and it does not.
    At least not for me. Just says disabled. Otherwise, everything is cool.
    I'm at a crossroads of sorts and trying to decide whether to stick it out with T-Mobile, or go back to AT&T.
    The WiFi issues, and the T-Mobile/Blackberry relationship are factors, so I am watching to see how things play out.
    I could not agree with you more.
    09-15-14 05:29 PM
    I could not agree with you more.
    I've been with them ten years. WFC is a big reason. Living in So. Cali, I can get anyone's signal in town. (At home, don't get anyone). So WFC is great at home, but I travel. And WFC is then, a must. I saw T-Mo as sort of a weird upstart with ridiculous coverage, and a one trick pony: WFC. But it oddly worked for me. And it still does. So, in order for me to leave, at&t etc., would have to offer WFC, no lame strings attached.
    09-15-14 06:08 PM
    I've been with them ten years. WFC is a big reason. Living in So. Cali, I can get anyone's signal in town. (At home, don't get anyone). So WFC is great at home, but I travel. And WFC is then, a must. I saw T-Mo as sort of a weird upstart with ridiculous coverage, and a one trick pony: WFC. But it oddly worked for me. And it still does. So, in order for me to leave, at&t etc., would have to offer WFC, no lame strings attached.
    The nice thing about GSM is these Europeans believe in standards. So GSM systems on different carriers should be very similar. Thus when AT$T says they will have wifi calling next year, I don't think it is much of a stretch.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 11:37 PM
    ...The problem with the Android is nothing shuts down WFC except a/p mode.
    That is because with the latest droids nothing completely shuts down wifi except airplane mode. Otherwise even if you have your wifi "off" your friendly pocket espionage agent is collecting information about the various wifi networks you come into range of, their locations, and so on.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:53 AM
    That is because with the latest droids nothing completely shuts down wifi except airplane mode. Otherwise even if you have your wifi "off" your friendly pocket espionage agent is collecting information about the various wifi networks you come into range of, their locations, and so on.

Posted via CB10
    Was referring specifically to an older Android phone and TMO's "need" to be sure you could not use WFC in a/p mode. At that time, when the phone first came out (one of the first to use Kineto) a/p mode shut off everything, and in order to turn wifi back on you had to go into the service menu. Then, once wifi was lit up, you could get WFC going. Then they hit us with an OTA OS update that specifically deactivated WFC in a/p more, whether you had your wifi on or not. Times may have changed on the Android side (?), but on the Z10 of course, there is no such restriction. However if TMO wanted to make it so only their "designated" GoGo phones could work (WFC) in a/p mode, they are capable of sending out an MR to do this. Seems unlikely they'd do this to current BBerry phones, however.
    09-27-14 08:23 AM
45 12