Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
09-27-14 08:23 AM
45 12
tools
    John Legere and the T-Mobile team invite you to join us in San Francisco on Wednesday, September 10 at the T-Mobile store at the corner of Market and 3rd street (669 Market Street).

Doors open at 12:30 pm pacific, and we'll kick off at 1 pm pacific.

Uncarrier 7.0 is coming - T-Mobile sends invites for September 10th event TmoNews

I need to work on my protest sign. Something like "More Rural Roaming!" Or maybe "Respect For The Classic Plan!"

Posted via CB10
    raino and LoneStarRed like this.
    08-31-14 11:26 AM
    Deleted.
    08-31-14 11:30 AM
    Although T-Mobile has been doing a lot of great promos their ultimate strategy, in my opinion, is to garner more market share and then raise their prices. For example, I am very satisfied with my plan 4 lines, unlimited, 2 have the grandfathered LTE in at 20 each per month and the other 2 lines have 1 Gig. Whenever I call or go into a store to buy a phone I get strong armed to give up my plan. They already took away my corporate discount and have done it to many others. In my case it was $14 month so I am not going to freak out but I don't like the whole give it and take it back.,Then they tried to talk me (actually strong arm me) into the 100 a month 2.5 gig each line till the end of 2015. That really is a super value plan but what do you think will happen when it's over? I think their unlimited LTE will go bye-bye and their data plans will substantially increase bringing it back to the way things were. They already have an internal memo targeting the unlimited plans.I did call them to say that I thought my 2 1 gig lines should be increased to the 2.5 gigs and they tried very hard to get my to give up my 2 unlimited $20 LTE lines to get it and then charge me $30 per line for the 2 unlimited lines which is their current price but I wouldn't give them up to get the increased data on the other 2 lines that they are giving to other customers. Those other 2 lines are mainly on wifi but I nicely explained to them that I have been a customer for 10 years so they did it.

I really am very happy with tmo but I think that people should think before they leap since there is always more going on behind the scenes.

It will be interesting to hear what their announcement is. Perhaps because Sprint upped their family data to 20 GIG possibly they will top that? If they did that I might give up one of my unlimited LTE lines.
    09-02-14 11:25 PM
    He's going to Announce T Mobile and BlackBerry are getting back together and BlackBerry Passport will sell for 1 dollar. Hey a guy can fantasize

Posted via CB10
    jpvj and imcurved like this.
    09-03-14 12:55 AM
    He's announcing a merger with Satan. And that the Corporate HQ will be going to Hell.
    09-03-14 01:22 AM
    I've really enjoyed the previous Uncarrier promotions and wonder what Legere will hit us with this time. Price cut would be nice, though T-Mo is a pretty good deal already. Probably going to announce increase to 15x15 and 20x20 LTE in more markets, VoLTE expansion, the free iPhone test drive thing. Not sure what new agendas he'll announce, but hopefully it'll be something I can use.

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1130+1154/ T-Mobile USA
    09-03-14 01:27 AM
    You can't escape the T-mobile test drive ad blitz.

You would think an ad server would figure out you saw the advert 20 times and they are just wasting their money.

I only see ads on my BlackBerry. I block them on the desktop.

One of these days the powers that be will figure out internet advertising is useless. It is far more effective just to mail coupons to your customers. I can't think of the last time I paid retail at a Sweet Tomatoes (Soup Plantation for those in socal).

I'm half serious about showing up with a protest sign.

"I have un-reception in Yosemite!"

"Can you hear me now?" NO!

I wonder if "his magentaship" will be there?

Posted via CB10
    Anovascular likes this.
    09-03-14 03:55 AM
    I wonder if "his magentaship" will be there?
    You think he's going to miss an opportunity to get in front of a camera?
    09-03-14 01:02 PM
    Uncarrier 7.0 Wi-Fi Unleashed - Wi-Fi calling and texting for every Simple Choice customer, from anywhere TmoNews

A big part of Uncarrier 7.0 is offering up Wi-Fi calling and texting for every Simple Choice customer on every new smartphone it sells. 100% of new smartphones in store will be Wi-Fi calling and texting capable, and if you have one that isn’t, T-Mo’s going to make it super-easy for you to upgrade to one.
    So I wonder in light of the recent WFC issues, if TMO's solution will be to push BB10 customers towards the super-easy upgrade option.
    09-10-14 05:09 PM
    Uncarrier 7.0 Wi-Fi Unleashed - Wi-Fi calling and texting for every Simple Choice customer, from anywhere TmoNews

So I wonder in light of the recent WFC issues, if TMO's solution will be to push BB10 customers towards the super-easy upgrade option.

Wi-fi calling is nice, but it is not the same as the UMA, which I am learning is what most people really want.
    09-10-14 06:45 PM
    He's announcing a merger with Satan. And that the Corporate HQ will be going to Hell.
    I thought they were already located there.
    09-10-14 06:58 PM
    Wi-fi calling is nice, but it is not the same as the UMA, which I am learning is what most people really want.
    Wifi calling is good enough. Well when it works. ;-)

I noticed the internet devices are locked to your phone(s), which might stop hackers. Emphasis on the word might. I wouldn't trust it for wifi. I run ddwrt.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 07:13 PM
    True. But UMA comes at a cost to the manufacturer--a cost they're no longer willing to bear as evidenced by UMA all but disappearing from handsets.

It kinda makes sense that TMO's claiming seamless transition between WFC and voLTE (and not WFC and lower networks,) given that both are IMS based. Apple mentioned this seamless transition too, but IIRC, they didn't clarify that the clean transition would be between WFC and voLTE only.

In theory, this should work well on BB10 phones too. Let's see.
    09-10-14 07:19 PM
    I thought they were already located there.
    Nope. That's where BB's marketing department is. :-P

Posted from a D618
    09-10-14 07:24 PM
    True. But UMA comes at a cost to the manufacturer--a cost they're no longer willing to bear as evidenced by UMA all but disappearing from handsets.

It kinda makes sense that TMO's claiming seamless transition between WFC and voLTE (and not WFC and lower networks,) given that both are IMS based. Apple mentioned this seamless transition too, but IIRC, they didn't clarify that the clean transition would be between WFC and voLTE only.

In theory, this should work well on BB10 phones too. Let's see.
    I'm genuinely confused. I looked up UMA or Unlicensed Mobil Access on T-Mobile's help site and there is a very good explanation updated earlier this year here: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5051

UMA seems to be just another name for what most people call Wifi calling because you connect via Wifi to the internet, establish a security gateway, and connect to the T-Mobile network via its UMA Network Controller (the UNC).

So instead of GSM radio connection, you connect via Wifi over the Internet.

Is there another process that is being used for iPhone 6 Wifi calling?

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1154 / T-Mobile USA
    09-11-14 01:29 AM
    I'm genuinely confused. I looked up UMA or Unlicensed Mobil Access on T-Mobile's help site and there is a very good explanation updated earlier this year here: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5051

UMA seems to be just another name for what most people call Wifi calling because you connect via Wifi to the internet, establish a security gateway, and connect to the T-Mobile network via its UMA Network Controller (the UNC).

So instead of GSM radio connection, you connect via Wifi over the Internet.

Is there another process that is being used for iPhone 6 Wifi calling?

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1154 / T-Mobile USA
    Wifi calling, at least on BlackBerry, can't switch between wifi and the cellular tower. UMA could switch between wifi and the tower, all on the fly.

UMA is better. Wifi calling is good enough.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 02:21 AM
    The basic difference is that UMA is hardware based and can talk to the GSM radio for handoff. WFC, as found in BB10 handsets, is software based and cannot handoff to a radio.

They might sound similar in overall function but are very different at their cores.

[Q10]
    raino likes this.
    09-11-14 09:39 AM
    So pardon my ignorance to this whole thing, but does this in ANY WAY give hope to those who purchase an unlocked BlackBerry Passport on the T-Mobile USA network, the possibility that they can get Wi-Fi calling even if it's not a T-Mobile branded phone in the near future?
    09-11-14 09:51 AM
    So pardon my ignorance to this whole thing, but does this in ANY WAY give hope to those who purchase an unlocked BlackBerry Passport on the T-Mobile USA network, the possibility that they can get Wi-Fi calling even if it's not a T-Mobile branded phone in the near future?
    Not really. Even if BB does its part (which it did, with the Z30 and the Q5--two unbranded phones) TMO has to do theirs by being a nice gatekeeper. The only outside chance of getting WFC on unbranded phones would be UMA hardware...but I don't see BB going back to it, especially for one carrier.
    molonlabe2a likes this.
    09-11-14 11:33 AM
    Apparently BlackBerry devices are not a
    Among the handsets that are included in this move. So they're not fully supporting the hardware they once sold. Also it says nothing about what they're going to charge people for this service.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    09-11-14 11:57 AM
    Apparently BlackBerry devices are not a
    Among the handsets that are included in this move. So they're not fully supporting the hardware they once sold.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    Same goes for BlackBerry phones not working with the new in-flight texting. We should not expect our BB phones to benefit from anything new on T-Mobile. At some point it's going to become very difficult to stick with both Blackberry and T-Mo (for some, that point may already have been reached). That's going to be a difficult choice....
    09-11-14 02:16 PM
    I text in flight all the time: with WFC. If that's what you mean.
    09-11-14 02:42 PM
    I didn't quite understand what the whole hoopla about the yesterday's event was. Going forward, all phones are going to be WFC capable? Great. I guess they won't be selling the next Nexus phone. But if try to take away a feature (WFC) that their branded Z10s and Q10s were advertised and sold with, they will have lawsuits coming--especially if they're telling people to switch to a different phone now as that can be construed as bait-and-switch. From a TMONews blog post that went up yesterday:

“Specifically, the Un-carrier announced:

• Wi-Fi calling and texting for 100% of T-Mobile customers and business customers

o 100% of new smartphones in T-Mobile stores are Wi-Fi calling and texting capable.
    Great. Our Z10s and Q10s are WFC and texting capable and performing. No biggie.

Next-generation Wi-Fi calling and texting on its network o Designed to deliver high-quality HD voice, fast call setup times, fewer dropped calls and seamless voice coverage between T-Mobile’s nationwide Voice over LTE (VoLTE) network and Wi-Fi with compatible smartphones.
    Not sure what "next generation" is, but our Z10s and Q10s are voLTE capable and performing.

Full-bars personal coverage wherever you choose o The T-Mobile Personal CellSpot – a new device that enables everyone to put the capabilities of a personal T-Mobile tower in their house, delivering a full-bars T-Mobile experience ANYWHERE you have broadband, and equipped with a unique patent-pending technology that prioritizes voice calls for crystal clear HD Voice.
    From what I understand, this has nothing to do anything with your choice of phone; you just need to be a Simple Choice customer, and be willing to put down that $25 refundable deposit.

Coverage at 30,000 feet o An exclusive, new partnership with Gogo – the world’s leading in-flight connectivity service – enabling T-Mobile customers to send and receive unlimited text and picture messages, and even get visual voicemail, on any Gogo-equipped flight on U.S.-based airlines.”
    Now this is something we may not be able to make use of. There is some sort of a "software update" involved that "is required to use Wi-Fi while in airplane mode." Can't that be accomplished by putting your phone in airplane mode and then manually turning WiFi on So in reality, if the requirement is really just 'phone must be WFC capable,' we've got that covered.
    09-11-14 03:33 PM
    Can't that be accomplished by putting your phone in airplane mode and then manually turning WiFi on So in reality, if the requirement is really just 'phone must be WFC capable,' we've got that covered.
    Which is what I do now, even on GoGo or whatever. However, here's the rub... on my last Android (still in service) you could do just that. Then we got an update. And while you could still activate wifi in Airplane mode, WFC itself would deactivate when Airplane mode was selected. And you could not turn it back on until a/p mode was turned off.
    Last edited by scrannel; 09-11-14 at 05:58 PM.
    raino likes this.
    09-11-14 05:48 PM
    Which is what I do now, even on GoGo or whatever. However, here's the rub... on my last Android (still in service) you could do just that. Then we got an update. And while you could still activate wifi in Airplane mode, WFC itself would deactivate when Airplane mode was selected. And you could not turn it back on until a/p mode was turned off.
    Interesting. You said your text on WFC during flights--that includes with the Z10, right? I don't think that's going to be getting any TMO "updates" any time soon.

Re: the Android, I would just manually turn off the mobile network, bluetooth, etc--harmless connections that shouldn't be triggering WFC shutdown.
    09-11-14 08:37 PM
45 12