So why do I have to call TMO every time I want to switch from my Nexus 5 to my Q10?
    This post "http://crackberry.com/no-you-dont-need-bis-plan-blackberry-10-phones" says I can just
    put the SIM card in and I'm good to go?

Maybe TMO still has to pay BB for every BB phone used and might explain why they want to
    move users off BB?
    03-08-14 06:18 AM
    No special data plan.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 09:46 AM
    Only special data was for "BIS" (older pre OS10 BlackBerries) and "BES" which still exists today. Don't even call - treat it like another android/iphone/smartphone.

Personally, I am really glad BlackBerry went this route finally. It was about time.

Posted via CB using a Q10
    03-08-14 05:59 PM
    So there are no more bb data plans exclusives with tmo?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-08-14 10:07 PM
    When I first got my Q10 from T-Mobile the rep was unaware that I did not need my old pearl BIS data plan and kept it on the bill. I did get it corrected though but to answer the first question BB10 does not need any special data plans.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 10:18 PM
    I believe it's about metrics and knowing which or what kind of device (IMEI#) is currently associated with their proprietary SIM card.
    It may have something to do with the proper provisioning of the device of services. Not sure though.
    Have you tried simply asking them directly why this is required for you?
    03-09-14 07:56 AM
    I asked a few of the reps online - never got anything but "we need to know what kind of data plan you're on" - Duh!
    I think that you're correct - they just want to associate the IMEI with the SIM card. It's kind of stupid for them to have to do that since after a short time the system automatically figures it out. Anyway thanks for answering - I was just trying to figure out their antipathy towards BB - obviously a BB10 phone costs TMO nothing extra in data services.

I believe it's about metrics and knowing which or what kind of device (IMEI#) is currently associated with their proprietary SIM card.
    It may have something to do with the proper provisioning of the device of services. Not sure though.
    Have you tried simply asking them directly why this is required for you?
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-09-14 09:19 AM
    I asked a few of the reps online - never got anything but "we need to know what kind of data plan you're on" - Duh!
    I think that you're correct - they just want to associate the IMEI with the SIM card. It's kind of stupid for them to have to do that since after a short time the system automatically figures it out. Anyway thanks for answering - I was just trying to figure out their antipathy towards BB - obviously a BB10 phone costs TMO nothing extra in data services.
    LoL!
    03-09-14 09:51 AM
    You just need one of the current data plans that will permit use of the "fast" APN. Some of the older plans do not permit that APN's use (they are restricted to "epc") and you cannot connect to LTE without using "Fast"
    Anovascular likes this.
    03-09-14 02:43 PM
    Their reps, especially in-store, are mucho clueless about BB10. When I switched to T-Mo the in-store manager made me wait while she struggled to add BIS to my plan. I told her, "you know that's not needed for BB10 devices, right?" She rolled her eyes and looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about - then continued going on being stupid. Just assume you know more about BB10 than anyone you will talk to at T-Mo and you're on the right track.
    03-12-14 10:39 PM