Hi everyone. I have att unlocked z10 works perfect but my tmobile hotspot Will not go. They can't seem to get it working at tmobile. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 05:52 PM
    If you're talking wifi-hotspots... Iif you go Settings > Network Connections > wifi > advanced, you find a notification selection for wifi hotspot notification. Does that work when you're near one?
    11-17-13 06:59 PM
    If you're talking wifi-hotspots... Iif you go Settings > Network Connections > wifi > advanced, you find a notification selection for wifi hotspot notification. Does that work when you're near one?
    I think he means making the phone into a hotspot.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 10:56 PM
    T-Mobile is kind of funny in that often things don't work well if they don't know your IMEI. Yes I know they get it from your simcard, but it seems you need to tell customer service about it.

Since you are a customer and your aren't hacking the system, that is the hotspot and even tethering are fine, just call 611 and tell them the problem.

Note that there are some restrictions on that cheap $30 plan.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 01:07 AM
    I do mean phone hotspot. I have a good plan. Even have the hotspot +4.5gigs etc. tmobile techs say it's because it's an att z10 that they can't enable it. They say it's a low level setting that I'll have to dig to modify... Said an app might do it.

Z10 is an amazing phone but I can't believe how low tech the network setup options are.
    11-18-13 03:47 AM
    Bump for some uber inside info on this issue!
    11-18-13 06:43 AM
    I do mean phone hotspot. I have a good plan. Even have the hotspot +4.5gigs etc. tmobile techs say it's because it's an att z10 that they can't enable it. They say it's a low level setting that I'll have to dig to modify... Said an app might do it.

Z10 is an amazing phone but I can't believe how low tech the network setup options are.
    That's certainly possible. TMO has a lot of its own stuff in their phones, like wifi calling. Are you able to download the wifi calling app and use that feature?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 06:46 AM
    The only secret sauce I see in the engineering screen is related to Verizon features. Go to "general radio", then RNDIS IP tethering.

In the old OS, there were specific tmob certificates, but I don't see them in bb10.

You might want to go over to the forums on the tmob website.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 07:04 AM
    No i cannot the default wifi calling app has "error" and the on/off button greyed out
    11-18-13 07:08 AM
    Grrr no dice at forums. Cant believe more ATT phone guys with tmobile service arent having this issue.
    11-18-13 07:19 AM
    I hate to tell you this, but tech support generally starts with two questions :

1) did you power down and boot the phone
    2) did you reload the operating system

Step 2 is an enormous time sink. However, you never know until you try. You will have to dig for the procedure to load the OS.

The provisioning for wifi calling has to be in an update from tmob. I see no other way it gets into the phone. UMA and wifi calling are a documentation black hole. They are doing security by obscurity. UMA and wifi calling are probably high on the hackers to do list since you could spoof the phone, which is why a lot of carriers don't provide the service.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:13 AM
    I wonder if i can flash to tmobile version of the phones firmware
    11-18-13 08:14 AM
    I hate to tell you this, but tech support generally starts with two questions :

1) did you power down and boot the phone
    2) did you reload the operating system

Step 2 is an enormous time sink. However, you never know until you try. You will have to dig for the procedure to load the OS.

The provisioning for wifi calling has to be in an update from tmob. I see no other way it gets into the phone. UMA and wifi calling are a documentation black hole. They are doing security by obscurity. UMA and wifi calling are probably high on the hackers to do list since you could spoof the phone, which is why a lot of carriers don't provide the service.

Posted via CB10
    Right. Tech support wil be useless. You'll have to figure this out on your own, or with help here.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:26 AM
    Backed up phone with link and did a reload software. It found an update at the same time. Hoping for the best~!
    11-18-13 08:53 AM
    Thanks for all the help guys! Looks like a factory reset/update cured it!! WOOT
    11-18-13 09:40 AM
    Yeah, but entering all those passwords is sure a pain. Fortunately all the email setup data doesn't get tossed.

With your success, I am more certain they sneak the provisioning in via an update. That is also why those that run leaks don't get the wifi option.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 03:20 PM
    A while back, I replied in a similar thread, except it was an AT&T guy using a non-AT&T phone. I think he couldn't get LTE or something. What worked for him was giving them an AT&T IMEI. Maybe try something similar, OP?

If I remember, I'll look for the thread tomorrow.
    11-19-13 12:22 AM
    Yeah, that makes sense. Although you'd think putting a carrier's SIM in would transfer your IMEI to their system, it doesn't seem to work right. You have to verbally convey your IMEI number to the carrier. And the CS agent needs to put it in the system.

Swapping SIM's allows most features to work properly, but some of the more "complex" ones don't. I think SIM swapping was designed to carry over the basic phone features back when phones didn't do much. Now that they're basically mobile computers, the technology hasn't quite caught up.

I think you need to call the carrier each time you change phones for full functionality. I wonder what this means if I switch back and forth between the same two phones - say one for week days, one for weekends. Do I need to call each time?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 08:07 AM
    It has been my experience that UMA or wifi calling is the only issue with using a non branded phone. UMA

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:56 AM
    Oops, hit the post button by mistake.

UMA and wifi calling need elements specific to the carrier. In the old days, that was a Tmob certificate. I don't know exactly what they do on the bb10.

This goes back to my post about UMA being a black hole of information. The carriers don't want spoofing on UMA and wifi calling, so they do something beyond just using the simcard for identification.

But it think you will be fine on your home carrier if you use a different simcard for s while. That is, your IMEI hasnt changed, so when you go back to your home carrier, they know who you are.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:03 AM
    It has been my experience that UMA or wifi calling is the only issue with using a non branded phone. UMA

Posted via CB10
    With UMA the T-Mo phones that ran it had to carry some hardware for it to function. Then with Kineto and the latest IMS versions of wifi-calling, not required. You will need an appropriate OS however. I remember when Kineto hit a developer ported it over to his Nexus.
    11-19-13 10:07 AM
    With UMA the T-Mo phones that ran it had to carry some hardware for it to function. Then with Kineto and the latest IMS versions of wifi-calling, not required. You will need an appropriate OS however. I remember when Kineto hit a developer ported it over to his Nexus.
    Wifi calling unfortunately is not as good as UMA, but it is acceptable. UMA let's you start a conversation on the carrier's radio, then switches to wifi on the fly. Besides hardware, UMA was a patented process, so perhaps that just went to wifi calling to save money.

Wifi calling is good enough. It just isn't as mobile. I use it in places where there is no service.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:15 AM
    Wifi calling unfortunately is not as good as UMA, but it is acceptable. UMA let's you start a conversation on the carrier's radio, then switches to wifi on the fly. Besides hardware, UMA was a patented process, so perhaps that just went to wifi calling to save money.

Wifi calling is good enough. It just isn't as mobile. I use it in places where there is no service.

Posted via CB10
    They use wifi-calling now because it can go on almost any phone w/o modification. Must admit I use it a lot and have never wandered out of wifi range yet.
    11-19-13 09:42 PM
    I always found the old uma implementation to be very iffy when switching from wifi to cell and it almost never switched from poor cell signal to wifi

I also find the sound quality on the bb10 implementation of wifi calling to be significantly better than on my old 9700.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 04:30 AM
    Yeah, it's way better than it was on my previous Android.
    11-20-13 02:52 PM