01-20-15 12:56 AM
34 12
tools
    I've been on free international roaming with the T-Mobile USA $50 Simple Choice plan for the last week. So far, I've been in Toronto, London, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Holmfirth, and Norwich and places in between via trains and cars. I'm mostly connecting with 4G, though 4GLTE too. What's great is that I didn't need to notify T-Mobile of any travel plans. When I landed in Canada, I got a txt telling me txt and data were free, with voice calls at $0.20/min. The same occurred when I landed in the UK. The first 500 MB are "complimentary 4G". After that, data slows down, but for tourist walking speed, map usage is fine. Driving navigation is a bit too much with slower data. Access to data has been great. (For example, I am writing this on a train headed to Bristol.)

My original plan was to buy a local SIM, though so far, I've gotten by quite nicely without one. (I might buy one just to try out anyway.)

Roaming networks I've seen so far...

Toronto - Rogers
    UK - EE, T-Mobile and 3 UK

Some people disparage T-Mobile USA's coverage/service, but I have to say, the Uncarrier for international is how it should be done. It's a brilliant idea and works well.
    Nels, Wikichick and unspoken like this.
    09-22-14 08:34 AM
    Great post and this is so true. You also can't forget about wifi calling on the T-Mobile BlackBerry as well as BBM Voice. Many people knock T-Mobile, especially those that make a huge deal out of T-Mobile not carrying BlackBerry products right now. They're coverage is great and the savings are tremwndous. Even paying full price for a device, you're still way ahead of the game when you look at the overall cost as compared to other subsidized carrier plane like Verizon, ATT and Sprint.

Verizon mentioned the lack of a need for them to have wifi calling since their coverage is so great. Nice of them to try to mislead everyone as they really just care about their additional revenue generated by international travellers. Wifi calling, as has been available exclusively on T-Mobile branded BlackBerry devices for 6+ years, gives you FREE unlimited calls when you're overseas as long as you're calling a US number. In other words, it makes it as though you're calling from back home in the US.

Just an interesting FYI about BBM Voice....a friend of mine was flying home from Europe theother day and there was wifi on the arcraft, a proudly Made in the USA Boeing 777 (United). We ere using BBM and then I told him to use the BBM Voice when he got a chance. He was at 38,000 feet (aka flight level 380) just south of Greenland when we had a great conversation for around 10 minutes.
    09-22-14 08:56 AM
    Their cheap overseas rates and Wifi-calling are the best. The main reason, for me at any rate, is I'm always using my regular cell #.
    09-22-14 10:03 AM
    Their cheap overseas rates and Wifi-calling are the best. The main reason, for me at any rate, is I'm always using my regular cell #.
    This! The reason I stay with TMO.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    09-22-14 06:12 PM
    I received the same notice when I was at Taipei. I had to make a lot of calls so I used a local sim but otherwise this is great.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    09-22-14 06:44 PM
    I am a traveler too, not as often or widely as you but you hit the nail in the head with the service TMO US provides worldwide. At home, yea the service is ok, at work it really sucks (but I work in the middle of nowhere) but what can one expect for 100 bucks a month for 4 lines with true unlimited everything (voice/text/data), and yes 4G first (in US only) but there is no extra charge (unlike everywhere else). Nevertheless, data/text is UNLIMITED no just US but WORLDWIDE! One would have no legs to travel or arms to use a device for worldwide unlimited data with any of the carriers next door. It is sad that BB-TMO US could not play together, but hopefully they will soon. It would be a great partnership and help each other up as they rise from the ground... that would be a great co-advertising campaign BB-TMO/TMO-BB... imagine an half time comercial at the super bowl with these two (most heated) companies reconciling. Unfortunately TMO is too deep in Apples behind.

Posted from myZ30 via CB10 app
    09-22-14 07:01 PM
    I am a traveler too, not as often or widely as you but you hit the nail in the head with the service TMO US provides worldwide. At home, yea the service is ok, at work it really sucks (but I work in the middle of nowhere) but what can one expect for 100 bucks a month for 4 lines with true unlimited everything (voice/text/data), and yes 4G first (in US only) but there is no extra charge (unlike everywhere else). Nevertheless, data/text is UNLIMITED no just US but WORLDWIDE! One would have no legs to travel or arms to use a device for worldwide unlimited data with any of the carriers next door. It is sad that BB-TMO US could not play together, but hopefully they will soon. It would be a great partnership and help each other up as they rise from the ground... that would be a great co-advertising campaign BB-TMO/TMO-BB... imagine an half time comercial at the super bowl with these two (most heated) companies reconciling. Unfortunately TMO is too deep in Apples behind.

Please, no more half time commercials from BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 05:18 PM
    Honestly, I haven't seen a half time comercial from Blackberry. Although, the joint adventure wouldn't be a bad idea? Wouldn't you agree? (aside from the comercial) lol

09-25-14 01:04 AM
    Yes, have to ditto the shout out for Tmo international service... having used it this year in Germany, UK, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, The Netherlands, France, Lichtenstein, Spain, Luxemburg, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, China and Hong Kong.

The only issued I've had were failure to make data connection in one city in China (Guangzhou... but others ok) and intermittent ability to send outbound text messages from Singapore. Oh, and I was having the same REG99 errors with wifi calling everywhere during the same time as folks at home (seems fixed now).

Thank you Tmo... you've saved me thousands $$.

Posted via CB10
    rjpawlak likes this.
    09-25-14 01:22 AM
    Honestly, I haven't seen a half time comercial from Blackberry. Although, the joint adventure wouldn't be a bad idea? Wouldn't you agree? (aside from the comercial) lol

A joint venture would be an awesome idea, but they would need to start with prime time commercials, that air several times a day rather than splashing a few million on a one time, 30 second clip.

Posted via CB10
    quemo likes this.
    09-25-14 05:30 AM
    Yeah, I was just in the Middle East and Europe - had a few difficulties with the BlackBerry selecting the wrong network, and then data services not working, but a couple of calls to CS eventually gave me the workaround. Overall, it worked pretty well, and I was even able to use BBmaps when driving in the UAE. Very handy. The other carriers should make it this easy. I agree with the previous poster - cheap and painless international roaming + wifi calling keep me with t-mo.

Bob

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:30 PM
    Map usage on reduced speed:

Google Maps Web - faster tile download, slow location updates
    Google Maps App - super slow start up, gave up
    Nokia Here - slow tile downloads, but fast location updates

I mostly used Google Maps Web.
    09-28-14 05:37 PM
    In Rome... 4g with 3 ITA, 4G with Wind Telecom and emergency only with VodaphoneIT, like roaming on AT&T. Service switches a lot depending on area of Rome. The most annoying is automatically hopping on VodaphoneIT coming out of the subway. Usually toggling mobile radio on/off will take care of it.
    Last edited by cbvinh; 10-02-14 at 03:00 AM. Reason: updated info
    10-01-14 03:17 AM
    Fyi:

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/wifi-c...extenders.html

Wi-fi and GoGo in-flight text for free by TMO

10-05-14 06:00 PM
    Anyone know how long you can go outside of their US network without getting disconnected for abusing the unlimited roaming?

Does connecting to wifi calling make your handset appear as if it's on "their" network?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 06:13 PM
    Anyone know how long you can go outside of their US network without getting disconnected for abusing the unlimited roaming?

Does connecting to wifi calling make your handset appear as if it's on "their" network?

Posted via CB10
    Doubt there is a limit.

No, wifi-calling makes it appear as if you are on the tmo usa network. So far as I know.
    10-06-14 09:08 PM
    Fyi:

Wifi Calling & Wifi Extenders for Better Service at Home | T-Mobile

Wi-fi and GoGo in-flight text for free by TMO

Yeah, but if you go-go to the details, BB10 devices are not included. However, I have been using wifi-calling over GoGo for a long time. I have to pay for the wifi.
    10-06-14 09:09 PM
    Yeah, but if you go-go to the details, BB10 devices are not included. However, I have been using wifi-calling over GoGo for a long time. I have to pay for the wifi.
    Have you flown since the announcement? I wonder if the omission was just because BB10 phones are the red headed stepchildren not to be acknowledged (unless there's a poaching promotion to run,) or is it really a case of the service not being available.

I hear WP phones aren't on that list either.
    10-06-14 10:20 PM
    Have you flown since the announcement? I wonder if the omission was just because BB10 phones are the red headed stepchildren not to be acknowledged (unless there's a poaching promotion to run,) or is it really a case of the service not being available.

I hear WP phones aren't on that list either.
    Have not. But isn't there some "update" required to run the GoGo service? And what exactly does "run" mean? Seamless interface that allows free wifi on GoGo and automatic implementation of WFC? Worse case, it seems to me, is that I'd have to do what I always do: buy GoGo, hit a/p mode, then turn on WFC.

BTW, not sure if anyone else has been experiencing this of late, but the WFC status message on my Z10 is crazy. Often it will give me the REG99 error and WFC is working just fine. Wonder if it's TMO sorting it for their "next phase"...
    Last edited by scrannel; 10-07-14 at 04:36 AM.
    10-07-14 02:16 AM
    Have not. But isn't there some "update" required to run the GoGo service? And what exactly does "run" mean? Seamless interface that allows free wifi on GoGo and automatic implementation of WFC? Worse case, it seems to me, is that I'd have to do what I always do: buy GoGo, hit a/p mode, then turn on WFC. Worse case, it seems to me, is that I'd have to do what I always do: buy GoGo, hit a/p mode, then turn on WFC.
    Yeah, they do talk about an update. And just like you, I'm trying to figure out what exactly the update does. "Running it" I imagine means there's an interface between gogo and the phone to identify the accessing phone as a TMO phone for purposes of initiating the free service...but why does this handshake require updates? SIM recognition can be done in other ways, for example the MLB At Bat thing that's free to TMO customers. It doesn't require updates.
    10-07-14 03:33 PM
    Has anyone had experience with starting a plan for about 2 weeks and the. Leavening for 6 months? Do they kill you service for that?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 07:12 AM
    Dunno but three years ago I was once out of the US for six months straight. That was back when I was on my 9810. My TMO service remained intact.

As long as you're a paying customer and have a US address I don't think they care much.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 10:08 AM
    As long as you're a paying customer and have a US address I don't think they care much.
    Now they might, if you're on Simple Choice and they have to pay for 6 months of unlimited 2G roaming. But if you're very disciplined and all you use is WFC, they shouldn't care. Who's to say when your radio is off that you aren't a US customer with bad domestic reception, who has turned his radio off for the sake of battery life?
    10-13-14 11:37 AM
    From T-Mobile's International Roaming page: "Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse."

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:12 PM
    Dunno but three years ago I was once out of the US for six months straight. That was back when I was on my 9810. My TMO service remained intact.

Posted via CB10
    But you were on BIS back then. Yeah, Raino hit it -- use WFC as much as possible.
    10-13-14 12:33 PM
34 12