T-Mobile will work with Nokia Networks to launch LTE carrier aggregation - FierceWireless

Are existing, branded BB10 phones on TMO capable, at least hardware-wise? And is that "software update" going to have to be released by TMO for their phones, or is this something OEMs can enable/provide without carrier intervention?
    10-01-14 11:35 PM
    T-Mobile is incapable of writing radio features into an OS. They request it from the individual phone manufacturers who ultimately ask Google and Microsoft since BlackBerry and Apple handle their own already. While the occasional app might add something here and there, T-Mobile isn't writing apps that can change core radio functionality.

With that said, if aggregation becomes a popular, necessary feature then I suspect BlackBerry would add it to the radio firmware at some point.

[CB10 / Q10]
    raino likes this.
    10-02-14 01:30 AM
    So this is not going to be another voLTE/WiFi calling situation where BB users are left stranded?
    10-02-14 01:43 AM
    It's too soon to know. BB could do their part and Tmo might not. I don't see how BB could enable this in the radio file and somehow restrict Tmo's network. That would be a first.

[CB10 / Q10]
    10-02-14 05:43 AM
    So there is a part for TMO to play. That makes me sad.
    10-02-14 11:14 PM
    So there is a part for TMO to play. That makes me sad.
    Huh? Why wouldn't there be? They need to roll out the technology before things go anywhere. If a phone is capable of aggregation then I don't see how Tmo could block it.

Or, did I not understand your previous question above?

[CB10 / Q10]
    raino likes this.
    10-03-14 01:10 AM
    Huh? Why wouldn't there be? They need to roll out the technology before things go anywhere. If a phone is capable of aggregation then I don't see how Tmo could block it.

Or, did I not understand your previous question above?
    Sorry, I was talking about a more device-level involvement than network-level. You answered my question with "If a phone is capable of aggregation then I don't see how Tmo could block it."
    modifier likes this.
    10-03-14 09:23 AM