I am a T-Mobile postpaid customer, and frequently visit places (central Maine) where US Cellular is the T-Mobile roaming partner.

I think my Passport used to work on US Cellular. The PRIV and Key2 definitely do not, and trying to associate comes back "Forbidden" despite awesome LTE coverage. An iPhone on the same plan works fine.

Is anybody having luck roaming on US Cellular as a T-Mobile customer? If so, did you do anything special? I have read both that US Cellular used to only allow specific hardware, but now "anything that supports VoLTE should work".

Thanks for any ideas!
    09-23-19 09:41 PM
    You didn't say where in Maine. T-Mobile fixed their poor coverage in much of Maine with band 71. My guess would be there is no more roaming on US Cellular where you are, and Key2 doesn't support band 71 while iPhone does.
    09-24-19 10:11 PM
    It was definitely US Cellular (confirmed on the iPhone); Unity, Brooks, Union, and Camden for instance. Also the iPhone in this case is an Xr that doesn't have 71.

That said, I've been looking at the LTE 71 buildout maps and thinking that at some point T-Mobile is probably going to chop their USCC roaming agreement way down, but I'm not sure the hardware base is there for it yet.

Sadly, there's even a model number reserved for a T-Mobile Key2 (BBF100-5), but afaik it never saw the light of day. I bet it would have had 71, I'd be in line for it if so!
    09-27-19 11:56 AM
    I also live in a state where T-mobile had some poor coverage and now they seem to be in the process of fixing that with LTE 71 buildout. What LTE 71 buildout maps did you look at? I've been visiting band71.batcave.net but can't figure out where they get their info from.
    10-02-19 11:52 PM
    I also live in a state where T-mobile had some poor coverage and now they seem to be in the process of fixing that with LTE 71 buildout. What LTE 71 buildout maps did you look at? I've been visiting band71.batcave.net but can't figure out where they get their info from.
    The map at https://coverage.lart2150.com/ (which appears to be what the batcave.net page links to as well) is made by automated queries against the official T-Mobile coverage maps; I believe it started as a project by somebody on another forum. (It might also be somebody else doing the same thing; it's not too hard.) You can also click on the official map and see if you get warned that your phone might not support the LTE in a particular location, but it's a pain in the butt and they're not straightforward about it, you have to figure it out from the list of phones they say will work.

When I feel like really nerding out I look at spectrumgateway.com, which has a ridiculous amount of info, although looking at it now it doesn't have anything new for this year. You can see where buildout is blocked and where TMO has licenses, though; I don't think that's changed too quickly.
    10-05-19 07:37 PM
    Interesting. But lots of the places where LTE 71 is shown to be present on lart2150.com appear to be blocked according to spectrumgateway.com because a TV station has not yet moved. Maybe the official T-Mobile coverage maps are showing where LTE 71 is installed but not yet turned on?
    10-05-19 09:08 PM
    This whole thread demonstrates why if you’re concerned about coverage with any carrier, switching carriers or less supported devices regarding all my listed issues, the only real solution is real life testing by you for your specific footprint. Not being argumentative, just an observation.
    10-06-19 04:26 PM
    The map at https://coverage.lart2150.com/ (which appears to be what the batcave.net page links to as well) is made by automated queries against the official T-Mobile coverage maps; I believe it started as a project by somebody on another forum. (It might also be somebody else doing the same thing; it's not too hard.) You can also click on the official map and see if you get warned that your phone might not support the LTE in a particular location, but it's a pain in the butt and they're not straightforward about it, you have to figure it out from the list of phones they say will work.
    I'm not sure relying on the "phones they say will work" at a particular location is an accurate indication of whether or not LTE 71 is present at the location. All phones that support LTE 71 also support LTE 12 and 66. I see no way to use the "phones they say will work" to predict if LTE 71 is present except if LTE 71 is the only band present. And looking at that map, it's obvious that it's saying that LTE 71 is present at locations where LTE 71 is not the only band present. Where did you get that information that the map is based on what phones they say will work?
    10-07-19 07:50 PM