Announcing Advanced Messaging. Only at T-Mobile | T-Mobile Newsroom

Key points of note:

• Rich 1 on 1 and group messaging, including near real-time chat
    • See when others are typing, when your message is delivered and even read
    • Share high-res photos and videos up to 10 MB just as you would a regular text message
    • And T-Mobile Advanced Messaging is built to work across all devices, makers and operating systemsand wireless operators.
    With T-Mobile Advanced Messaging, you wont need to search out, download, install, setup and register an extra app to get all that and more. It just works. Right out of the box. And, even more important, because Advanced Messaging is built on the RCS standard, in the future, your real-time chats wont be held inside a single app or platform ecosystem.
    So is this the carriers' response to BBM/WhatsApp, etc? How are they going to bill this--as texts, data, or both?

And finally, I wonder if BB10 will get it or will this also end up being an super-proprietary Uncarrier feature that is OS/phone controlled (like WFC/voLTE/free in-flight texting, etc.)
    07-22-15 10:02 PM
    RCS in one form or another has been around since about 2008. If it hasn't caught on in the last 7 years, I doubt it will anytime soon, given the head start that all the various IMs have. I think a carrier would likely bill for it as some sort of option.

Ironically, when Jim Balsillie first proposed cross platform BBM, his pitch was to partner with carriers to make it "SMS 2.0". The carriers would basically pre-install BBM on all devices, charge a monthly fee for the service, and RIM would get a cut.
    raino likes this.
    07-22-15 11:33 PM
    RCS in one form or another has been around since about 2008. If it hasn't caught on in the last 7 years, I doubt it will anytime soon, given the head start that all the various IMs have. I think a carrier would likely bill for it as some sort of option.

Ironically, when Jim Balsillie first proposed cross platform BBM, his pitch was to partner with carriers to make it "SMS 2.0". The carriers would basically pre-install BBM on all devices, charge a monthly fee for the service, and RIM would get a cut.
    I disagree, i think this will catch on very quickly. In this day and age it's all about convenience. It's the reason a lot of websites incorporate social media logins for comments now as opposed to creating an account for that one website. Outlook mail has now incorporated skype within the mail account so you don't have to download the separate app if you don't want to...
    in the tmobile press release they made no mention of charging for this advanced messaging and if it is free then it would certainly give them the upperhand in this department as it would be a nice surprise to old and new customers.

This is just bad news for bbm since the few people that still use it really have less of a reason to continue using it and those that gave up on it have no reason to go back to it now...people don't want to download an app with similar features just to communicate with 2-3 people that have it. If this is free for all of tmobile's phones right out of the box it's a sure fire win.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 12:15 PM
    in the tmobile press release they made no mention of charging for this advanced messaging and if it is free then it would certainly give them the upperhand in this department as it would be a nice surprise to old and new customers.
    So why would they be introducing this service in an already crowded market if the goal is not to make money? Why not just, maybe up the data buckets if the goal is to make life easier for the customer?

Plus if it were free, I would have expected to have seen the word "free" 26 times in the press release. And international messaging damn sure is not going to be free. Good luck sending a 10MB video to a contact overseas.
    07-23-15 12:39 PM
    How is it " built to work across all devices, makers and operating systemsand wireless operators. "... and at the same time "Only at T-Mobile" ?

If this fails, it's because people will be confused by anything branded with one specific carrier's name.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    07-23-15 12:42 PM
    How is it " built to work across all devices, makers and operating systems—and wireless operators. "... and at the same time "Only at T-Mobile" ?
    Right. They "expect" it will catch on with other carriers domestic and perhaps international. I'm sure it will--just like NFC payments did pre-Apple Pay.

Plus they say it's built to work across "all" devices...but will be enabled by software updates.
    07-23-15 01:08 PM
    I disagree, i think this will catch on very quickly. In this day and age it's all about convenience. It's the reason a lot of websites incorporate social media logins for comments now as opposed to creating an account for that one website. Outlook mail has now incorporated skype within the mail account so you don't have to download the separate app if you don't want to...

This is just bad news for bbm since the few people that still use it really have less of a reason to continue using it and those that gave up on it have no reason to go back to it now...people don't want to download an app with similar features just to communicate with 2-3 people that have it. If this is free for all of tmobile's phones right out of the box it's a sure fire win.

Posted via CB10
    Reading through the press release, it sounds like only T-Mobile is releasing this right now. If it's not available on the other carriers at the same time as the new SMS standard, I don't see how this would catch on anytime soon. It definitely wouldn't be convenient if you could only use it with your T-Mo contacts. They would be facing the same challenges BBM (when it was single platform only) faced when cross platform messengers started taking pieces of the IM pie...except they are years late to the game.

And I'm sure the carriers will find some way to monetize it. They're probably still hurting from the loss of SMS revenue caused by IMs.
    raino likes this.
    07-24-15 09:50 PM
    So like joyn, but even less people will use it?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 01:26 AM
    Reading through the press release, it sounds like only T-Mobile is releasing this right now. If it's not available on the other carriers at the same time as the new SMS standard, I don't see how this would catch on anytime soon. It definitely wouldn't be convenient if you could only use it with your T-Mo contacts. They would be facing the same challenges BBM (when it was single platform only) faced when cross platform messengers started taking pieces of the IM pie...except they are years late to the game.

And I'm sure the carriers will find some way to monetize it. They're probably still hurting from the loss of SMS revenue caused by IMs.
    I wouldn't call it much of a challenge seeing as there are a lot more tmobile users then bbm users. It's not like you have to ask your friends to download it either. also, it's not intrusive like having a particular os to use...i see it as more of a nice perk for being a tmobile customer.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 08:24 PM
    Funny thing is when you can actually get somebody to install BBM, they like it.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 09:02 PM
    Funny thing is when you can actually get somebody to install BBM, they like it.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, to get them to install it is the challenge. And if they do, it doesn't last cause none of their other friends are on it.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 12:54 AM
    Yes, to get them to install it is the challenge. And if they do, it doesn't last cause none of their other friends are on it.

Posted via CB10
    And then whenever it updates it signs them off and they either (1) never notice and never sign back on or (2) notice but can't remember their password because they only ever entered it once (ok twice) when signing up for a silly BBID.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 08:36 AM
    I like how with BBM you have two choices of how to send a geo location, mostly because you bypass Google. I pretty much only use BBM to coordinate meeting people.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 11:45 AM
    And then whenever it updates it signs them off and they either (1) never notice and never sign back on or (2) notice but can't remember their password because they only ever entered it once (ok twice) when signing up for a silly BBID.

Posted via CB10
    That's odd. You must have automatic updates turned on or something cause that doesn't happen to me. I'm actually 2 updates behind because i heard they actually removed some features so i refuse to update it. But when i did it never would sign me out...which poses another advantage that this advanced messaging has over bbm, not to mention being able to send a 10mb video without having to use a separate app to compress it.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 03:08 PM
    That's odd. You must have automatic updates turned on or something cause that doesn't happen to me. I'm actually 2 updates behind because i heard they actually removed some features so i refuse to update it. But when i did it never would sign me out...which poses another advantage that this advanced messaging has over bbm, not to mention being able to send a 10mb video without having to use a separate app to compress it.

Posted via CB10
    The original "complaint" may be on platforms other than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 03:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not talking about BB10. I was referring to BBM on Android (and worse on iOS). The majority of people I convinced to install BBM at one point or the other stopped receiving BBMs. When I would contact them using WhatsApp, I would ask them about it, and the usual remark was 'Oh... yeah I still have it...' followed by 'weird,.. it's asking me to log in--I guess it logged me out... what password did I use again?'
    07-26-15 03:39 PM
    I'm not talking about BB10. I was referring to BBM on Android (and worse on iOS). The majority of people I convinced to install BBM at one point or the other stopped receiving BBMs. When I would contact them using WhatsApp, I would ask them about it, and the usual remark was 'Oh... yeah I still have it...' followed by 'weird,.. it's asking me to log in--I guess it logged me out... what password did I use again?'
    Yes i was talking about bbm too. It never logs me out when it needs to update and it usually asks if i want to update. I guess it's automatic for android.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 09:56 PM
    Sprint has been using RCS for the last 2 years with a app called message me. On both Android and iPhone. Nothing new to see here.
    07-27-15 07:17 AM
    Sprint has been using RCS for the last 2 years with a app called message me. On both Android and iPhone. Nothing new to see here.
    T-Mobile is doing this without an app or additional download and is compatible across all brands of phones. This is nothing like Sprint.

[CB10 / Q10]
    07-27-15 08:15 AM
    T-Mobile is doing this without an app or additional download. This is nothing like Sprint.

[CB10 / Q10]
    It is a software update, so yes there is a app involved wither you know it or not.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:17 AM
    It is a software update, so yes there is a app involved wither you know it or not.
    Software updates are not apps. Sprint does this via a separate app. T-Mobile is accomplishing this through the standard SMS interface in your existing device's interface.

That's vastly different.

[CB10 / Q10]
    07-27-15 08:27 AM
    Keep thinking that it is a stock function in your phone and you will be disappointed. Reason why the S6 can do it is because it already has the software to do it. You know notice only Samsung phones are the only ones capable right now of doing it?
    07-27-15 08:28 AM
    Updating the OS still doesn't make it an app by definition. Even if BB has to update to include the feature in the OS, that still doesn't make it an app.

And, who's to say BB isn't already working on integrating this into the OS?

[CB10 / Q10]
    07-27-15 08:33 AM