AAAAGH. Sorry, had to do that.

So I cancelled my AT&T services today. They have not bothered ONCE updating me on their Classic sale date despite my signing up with them for updates and, of course, they haven't advertised it on their site as 'coming soon'. The only way I knew it was launching on 20th was the general internet and, of course, Crackberry.

The fact that AT&T delayed the release of the Blackberry Classic and Passport was the last straw for me (after the ridiculous costs for users). For years now AT&T has been promoting every other phone (especially Samsung and iPhone) over Blackberry - not showing blackberry in stores, telling customers (like me) - why do you want a Blackberry?, Blackberry is dead, I didn't realize it still sold phones?, etc and that's giving them a bad reputation with those of us who need a real performing business and play phone. The lack of support for a brand they supply is really bad business. The other brands just can't perform like Blackberry for my needs.

Plus - do any of you travel abroad for family stuff and small business (like me) where I only need 2 phones? With this Blackberry debacle I lost my patience and bought an unlocked Classic so AT&T just lost another customer today. I am totally DONE with AT&T's data costs - especially the fake 'upsell' I got last time I was instore. I was told I could get double the data for what I was paying currently. They didn't tell me that they would put me back on a plan (I was out of contract), nor that I could stay on my current data package for LESS money! After finding this out 2 days later I had a very blunt conversation with AT&T and had them revert to my old data costs with no plan. AT&T isn't competitive any more. Doesn't offer unlimited data and overseas packages for data and calls are hugely overpriced. How about 120MB of data for $30 and $1 per minute cost????? My last bill came to $300 and I am on a mobile share 3gb plan (with company discount!!) and restrict my son's phone so that we always are less than 3gb. I can get pay less per month with no contract with another provider for unlimited data calls and texts in US, free unlimited data and calls from overseas than I do with AT&T for 3gb data and ridiculous overseas fees.

So I am now moving to another provider with no plan, unlimited data, texts, calls AND unlimited data overseas and phone calls (free) to landlines from overseas plus the lowest cost per minute to cell phones. PLUS they are happy to take me and my little Classic and didn't laugh in my face or try and sell me a different phone! AT&T didn't even apologize for not stocking the Classic yet - when I talked to them today they didn't even mention a sell date for it and offered me a Z10 (with an expensive plan) as their solution!!

AT&T really does NOT like Blackberry. Sorry for the vent! Is anyone else suffering AT&T ignoring that they will be selling the Classic and Passport?
    02-18-15 11:41 AM
    Yep, American ISPs and phone carriers are notorious for these types of shenanigans. As long as companies like AT&T, Verizon, Comcast own so much of the market share, sometimes they really have you by the balls - I'm glad you could find another carrier that meets your needs and that you could bring your Classic with you!
    02-18-15 11:52 AM
    SOOO... where exactly do you plan to go that does have the Classic available or who is showing BlackBerry the love (you think) they deserve? T-Mobile maybe, possible Sprint....
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    02-18-15 12:05 PM
    SOOO... where exactly do you plan to go that does have the Classic available or who is showing BlackBerry the love (you think) they deserve? T-Mobile maybe, possible Sprint....
    Hahahahahha
    The sarcasm is strong in this one.

Unfortunately, pretty much every American carrier has thrown BlackBerry under the bus and/or left them for dead so until they make a comeback in their market share, just be happy (some of) the major carriers are still supporting their phones!
    02-18-15 12:35 PM
    I've never had anyone give me grief for my BB at AT&T, and in fact had a few positive comments from in-store employees and once on the phone with an AT&T customer service rep, I got into a nice lengthy chat with her, all small talk, like an actual conversation, lol, I guess she was bored, and I never complain about chatting with a lady, but she obviously didn't give me a hard time about owning a BlackBerry... I hope she didn't get in trouble, we were literally on the phone for like 30 minutes and my question was answered within the first 5 minutes, haha. Anyway, I've always been pretty happy with their service...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-18-15 12:55 PM
    Truth be told. Even some former blackberry faithful threw blackberry under the bus. I left for a few years to try Android (which I still use and love), but came back in January. I love my Classic and didn't need to wait for AT&T . As for support. Two things must happen. Blackberry must stay True to what they are and customers must know what they want. What I mean is, don't expect an iphone to be a BB. Don't expect the total Google experience without Google services. It's obvious that carriers push what is hot and can sell easily. No reason to get angry. As you did, buy unlocked (nice not having bloatware) and let your wallet dictate. Seeing how well both the Passport and the Classic are doing on Amazon speaks volumes.
    anon1727506 and alternator77 like this.
    02-18-15 01:01 PM
    Truth be told. Even some former blackberry faithful threw blackberry under the bus. I left for a few years to try Android (which I still use and love), but came back in January. I love my Classic and didn't need to wait for AT&T . As for support. Two things must happen. Blackberry must stay True to what they are and customers must know what they want. What I mean is, don't expect an iphone to be a BB. Don't expect the total Google experience without Google services. It's obvious that carriers push what is hot and can sell easily. No reason to get angry. As you did, buy unlocked (nice not having bloatware) and let your wallet dictate. Seeing how well both the Passport and the Classic are doing on Amazon speaks volumes.
    Words of wisdom.
    02-18-15 01:08 PM
    Unsure why the OP or anyone else is upset over a well stated problem with carriers.... time to face facts.... reallly does not matter how much you like BB is at best as niche market device and at worst a dying brand.... has nothing to do with how much better a given platform is......if it has fallen out of favour it really does not matter..... time to live with being dissapointed by BB's place in the world.... the BB consumer is not longer the focus of the company.... as sad truth but nonetheless true....
    02-18-15 01:19 PM
    Well if you bought an unlocked Classic, then you are Out of Luck with Verizon and Sprint..... so that leaves you with Tmobile.. which is great if you travel abroad..... smh you shouldn't choose your carrier based on them selling a phone.. pick it for the service coverage map and the plan pricing.. anyways good luck searching an american carrier to provide you with blackberry love
    02-18-15 01:54 PM
    Blackberry must stay True to what they are and customers must know what they want.
    When BlackBerry gave the keys to the Kingdom away, they stopped being "True" to themselves and their customers.

Customers wanted a safe, secure platform to work on. The moment that trust relationship was lost, BlackBerry capsized, and is not recovering. Sure, both the iOS and Android markets didn't have this problem, they were never secure operating systems, and were never billed as such.

Blame AT&T for a lot of things, but don't blame them for BlackBerry's market share.

And by the way, AT&T offered me a data plan last time I talked to them that saved me money. I went from 6 Gig across 4 devices, with a regular overage, to 60 Gig across 4 devices, and save money on the monthly bill. Okay, it's only 30 bucks, but I never go over the 60 Gig barrier, and that's a lot of mobile data. To AT&T I say thank you for that.
    02-18-15 04:16 PM
    Thanks bbdj92651 for taking my statement out of context. The statement following that sentence explained it. Also, I never mentioned market share. Blackberry is what it is and the latest two entries are a nice step in the right direction.

As stated by Chen, these new devices are for a niche market. I don't understand why they are still being compared to iPhones and Android devices. This past month alone I have seen a lot of the core target for the new devices embrace them, while using iPads and other tablets as companion devices. Most of us did not wait for our carriers to get them in. We took a chance and speaking for myself, am currently enjoying my Classic.

Now if you were waiting for AT&T to get them in because you wanted to subsidize one. Well, I can respect that.

Sorry for going off track.
    02-18-15 05:34 PM
    I took your phrase and added, as you suggested you already provided your context - there are core expectations from BlackBerry and that includes a secure platform. It is not the competition of iphone or android that has lost them market share, it is BlackBerry's loss of their core mission. If they are truly to support their customers, that was something to maintain. Once secure platform is gone, why not gravitate to any device, right?

Z30 on ATT/US with no support, and Classic pre-ATT release, plus Z10 ATT/US supported. I don't think trying to brand me as an "AT&T Waiter" is fair at all.
    02-21-15 11:16 AM
    I took your phrase and added, as you suggested you already provided your context - there are core expectations from BlackBerry and that includes a secure platform. It is not the competition of iphone or android that has lost them market share, it is BlackBerry's loss of their core mission. If they are truly to support their customers, that was something to maintain. Once secure platform is gone, why not gravitate to any device, right?
    I will agree that security should always have been the priority. It was their bread and butter. I will also admit that being near sided when it came to mainstream app selection played a part in their major loss of market share. I did like the fact that they gave the customer hardware choices not found on any other platform. The main complaints that have always bit them in the end was lack of app selection (without android side loading) and processing speed along with killer camera. Today may seem a bit late to fight for #1, 2 or even 3. However, if they can maintain a strong niche market. Well, who knows? I'm back in the game.
    02-21-15 11:33 PM
    Check out Consumer Cellular if you are 55 or older

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 08:58 AM