Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
07-10-14 03:14 AM
27 12
tools
    The Z10 is now available at Swisscom in Switzerland

Configuration - Residential Customers - Swisscom
    02-20-13 09:31 AM
    TX for the info! Do you know whether it's branded and especially whether updates will come from BB directly or through Swisscom?

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-20-13 10:16 AM
    Just made the order. I guess there's the typical Swisscom start screen. I Thought the updates are all the same for BB 10?!
    02-20-13 02:17 PM
    jst ordered mine..
    02-20-13 02:33 PM
    Just made the order. I guess there's the typical Swisscom start screen. I Thought the updates are all the same for BB 10?!
    I heard there was gonna be a Swisscom start screen, but haven't really seen it. I guess thats about it for the branding part.
    I have no idea about the updates. I hoped it would be handled like the Playbook updates...
    pb1379 likes this.
    02-20-13 03:01 PM
    I looked around. Apparently not only branded, but also carrier locked. Nearly $200 more expensive than in another Swiss store, which, valid point, doesn't have it in stock yet, but I prefer to wait another week or two and get a carrier independent much cheaper one, especially as I'm assured to get timely updates then, too.

02-20-13 03:06 PM
    especially as I'm assured to get timely updates then, too.
    Swisscom's awful when it comes to updates. They haven't even released Portico yet for the Lumia 920. Mind you: they're selling branded phones with Portico pre-installed but they won't release the update to existing users because - well, nobody knows. I'm guessing they just don't give a rat's a** about WP8. The Lumia was just a stop-gap for them before the next iPhone comes out. And so is the Z10, I'm afraid.
    pb1379 likes this.
    02-20-13 03:10 PM
    I looked around. Apparently not only branded, but also carrier locked. Nearly $200 more expensive than in another Swiss store, which, valid point, doesn't have it in stock yet, but I prefer to wait another week or two and get a carrier independent much cheaper one, especially as I'm assured to get timely updates then, too.

I highly doubt its going to be locked. The only locked phone they currently sell is the iPhone, dictated by Apple, of course.
    If you go without commitment those "other stores" are probably the better option for now.
    pb1379 likes this.
    02-20-13 03:18 PM
    Swisscom's awful when it comes to updates.
    Lol. I tried to hold back ranting on their "customer experience", but sadly my experience with Swisscom and updates matches your observations...

02-20-13 03:21 PM
    I highly doubt its going to be locked. The only locked phone they currently sell is the iPhone, dictated by Apple, of course.
    If you go without commitment those "other stores" are probably the better option for now.
    Yeah Apple, lol.

Their Z10 is not explicitly locked, but apparently they only provide Swisscom APNs, and you can neither change them nor add your own, which effectively means you're locked to Swisscom. If it were cheaper than an independent z10, one might argue. But together with the higher price and the risk of lacking or late updates...

UPDATE: crypticro got his Swisscom Z10 and reports APNs CAN be changed. See his posts #20 & #22.

Last edited by pb1379; 02-22-13 at 06:38 AM.
    02-20-13 03:31 PM
    Yeah Apple, lol.

Their Z10 is not explicitly locked, but apparently they only provide Swisscom APNs, and you can neither change them nor add your own, which effectively means you're locked to Swisscom. If it were cheaper than an independent z10, one might argue. But together with the higher price and the risk of lacking or late updates...

the only thing one might have to consider is that they might not let unbranded Z10s on their LTE network. If you buy an unbranded Lumia 920, you can't use LTE on Swisscom's network - only their own 920s work :-(
    pb1379 likes this.
    02-20-13 10:11 PM
    the only thing one might have to consider is that they might not let unbranded Z10s on their LTE network. If you buy an unbranded Lumia 920, you can't use LTE on Swisscom's network - only their own 920s work :-(
    That's actually not true. Some unbranded Lumia 920 have been sold with a firmware without LTE support. That's why they don't work on Swisscom LTE. That's a firmware issue, not a branding issue.
    02-21-13 03:49 AM
    Agreed, you should definitely check compatibility. But I would be REALLY surprised if Swisscom were actively blocking other devices, they make their money with subscriptions, not phones, after all. Also, independent sellers wouldn't make much of a business if their phones wouldn't work on local networks...

One advantage sure is that Swisscom promises their devices are fully configured out of the box, together with the advantage of the "one provider no pushing around responsibility" effect. However, configuration has never been a problem for me up to now. Actually, whenever I changed phones, first thing I usually get is a configuration SMS setting things up.

02-21-13 06:12 AM
    Has anyone understood their BES plans? BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10

I wonder what is exactly included compared to the old plans! I asked them twice and no decent answer!
    02-21-13 06:38 AM
    Agreed, you should definitely check compatibility. But I would be REALLY surprised if Swisscom were actively blocking other devices
    They definitely are - the Lumia 920s are all the same but you can only use Swisscom devices for LTE, the rest is limited to HSDPA+. I don't know if that's the case with the Z10 as well, though.
    02-21-13 10:02 AM
    They definitely are - the Lumia 920s are all the same but you can only use Swisscom devices for LTE, the rest is limited to HSDPA+. I don't know if that's the case with the Z10 as well, though.
    As previously explained, Swisscom does not block any devices, believe me I know.
    The problem with the Lumia 920 is that some "unbranded" devices have a generic firmware in which the LTE option is disabled.
    In this case I don't know if it really qualifies as an "unbranded device".
    02-21-13 01:10 PM
    As previously explained, Swisscom does not block any devices, believe me I know.
    The problem with the Lumia 920 is that some "unbranded" devices have a generic firmware in which the LTE option is disabled.
    In this case I don't know if it really qualifies as an "unbranded device".
    Hmm, my first Lumia 920 was one bought in Constance. It came with Vodafone branding. The LTE setting was present, yet LTE didn't work on Swisscom.
    02-21-13 02:25 PM
    Hmm, my first Lumia 920 was one bought in Constance. It came with Vodafone branding. The LTE setting was present, yet LTE didn't work on Swisscom.
    This is going a little off-topic.. But when did you try to activate it? Are you still using it?
    02-21-13 04:57 PM
    This is going a little off-topic.. But when did you try to activate it? Are you still using it?
    No, I sold it when LTE didn't work and got a Swisscom model. I activated in mid November, if I remember correctly.

Digitec still has a notice up on all non-Swisscom Lumias warning the customers that only Swisscom 920s work on LTE
    02-22-13 03:46 AM
    I just got my Z10 by Swisscom. The device is not carrier locked and the APN settings can be changed.
    02-22-13 05:37 AM
    I just got my Z10 by Swisscom. The device is not carrier locked and the APN settings can be changed.
    Great news, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

I imagine a happy crypticro

Enjoy!!!

02-22-13 06:26 AM

This is the screenshot of the APN settings.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    pb1379 likes this.
    02-22-13 06:34 AM
    The bonus gift of a free Bluetooth speaker with the purchase of a Z10 is gone. Thus, provided they didn't just pull it off for another reason, that means they got 50+ units sold

02-24-13 11:27 AM
    Got mine on Friday - except for the small app selection I'm quite happy with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    02-24-13 12:09 PM
    So, some time passed... Any feedback on mid-term usage of Z10 on Swisscom? Speed, any provider related elements, etc. ?
    05-06-13 07:03 AM
27 12