05-26-11 07:45 AM
1,278 ... 4243444546 ...
tools
    First, gotta say this thread has solved pretty much all the minor frustrations I've had with my BB Storm (made the jump from a 3 yr old LG Flipphone to the Storm about a month ago so it was a big learning curve!). Spent hours on this thread yesterday changing stuff around on my Storm and learning and it's so much more fun to use now!

I noticed a bunch of messages about the SMS shortcuts like typing in mynumber, myver, ld, etc.

I was playing with my phone today and found where you can find more of them and even create your own shortcuts!

From home screen:
    BB button>Options>Auto Text

It goes through all the autocorrections it will make when typing and the coolest thing I noticed is that you can create your own shortcuts.

Lots of extra shortcuts that autocorrect like"

mns > minutes
    secs > seconds
    sec > second
    cmd > command
    hr > hour
    sig > whatever your signature is
    also most contractions will automatically put in the ' into the word as well

The coolest thing though is....you can create your own shorthand corrections!

For example if you want to save a couple key strokes, create on that says mycell or mynum rather than mynumber and it enters my cell number in...saves you a couple keystrokes. hmnum enters in my home number. Some of the other ones I created were offaddy and it enters in the full address to my office with a note in brackets of a couple landmarks close by ("My office is located at 123 That Ave in X City...right across the street from XYZ company")....saves me a bunch keystrokes! "offnum" converts to my office numbers (enters a message like this "Call me anytime at my office at 333-333-3333 or toll free at 888-888-8888"). "Appcon" prefills the start to an appointment confirmation message ("Hey...Just wanted to confirm that we are still on for our appointment at") so I just have to fill in the date/time and/or maybe their name at the start rather then the whole sentence. I also made short cuts for regular stuff like "ilu" converts to "I love you", "hwu" converts to "Hey...what's up?", "java?" converts to "You up for a coffee?". Good lord this thing is making me SOOOOO much lazier!

To create your own (from the home screen)
    BB button>Options>Auto Text>BB Button>New (or select edit to change an existing one in there)

Thought this might save some frustration for people with fat fingers and such when typing out common phrases...save a lot of spell checkin' and stuff. Texting at lightspeed now and I can practically create an autoresponse to a text with the push of a button or 2! These work for all SMS (text message, IM, E-mail, etc)

Sorry if this is in the user manual or on here somewhere...I'm only a 1 month old newb to BB's and this excited me...haha

If this is useful, can someone PM imann about it to add the the first post? Appearently I need at least 10 posts to PM...
    Last edited by thecoach17; 05-03-09 at 03:37 PM.
    05-03-09 03:23 PM
    here is a tip for storm;
    in messages if you click and hold on a sender it filters that person out and shows all messages from that sender
    Do you mean while in the msg list? Cause while reading a msg, I cannot duplicate. If you do mean within the msg. list, you do not mean click and hold, rather just touch and hold, see one of my earlier posts here just a few down.
    05-04-09 06:29 PM
    This thread is so awesome and I have learned so much. Thanks for all the help!
    05-04-09 07:53 PM
    i have a bb curve 8330, i woiuld like to know if there is a tip or way to select all email or text for deletion/move etc, without having to do it one by one??? i have a lot of email i want to delete but dont have the time to go through each one to delete. HELP!
    05-06-09 06:39 AM
    Thanks for the thread!
    05-06-09 07:25 AM
    Im having the same issue and 2 different verizon stores said its just a fluke and cant be fixed...this is abviously not possible....PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!
    The only way is the following:
    First you will need add custom profiles in sounds.
    Second go to Custom profiles that you created and in each one (Phone, Messages, Instant Messages, Reminders and Others) set the Volume: Silent, LED: Normal Settings, Vibration: ON. Make sure you save each one.

After that go to your set contact alerts and make sure that all your contact read as follow:
    Volume: Active Profile
    LED: Active Profile
    Vibration: Active Profile.
    Then when you select your custom profile is going only to vibrate.
    I did it and it was the only way that work.
    05-06-09 01:53 PM
    i have a bb curve 8330, i woiuld like to know if there is a tip or way to select all email or text for deletion/move etc, without having to do it one by one??? i have a lot of email i want to delete but dont have the time to go through each one to delete. HELP!
    click on the latest date and then menu/delete prior
    05-07-09 07:40 AM
    download berrytweak and you can choose the lock option during calls and change led colors for different alerts and messages.
    for the deletion of all sms messages click and hold the top message and then hover another finger and slide toward bottom message
    stormslider is BEST in class for locking the screen, try it, am sure you will agree !!
    05-07-09 08:13 AM
    I was told I could come to these forums and find out how to lock my screen while I am talking to people so I don't accidentally mute the phone. However, I can't find it anywhere. Can someone please help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated.
    05-07-09 09:30 AM
    I was told I could come to these forums and find out how to lock my screen while I am talking to people so I don't accidentally mute the phone. However, I can't find it anywhere. Can someone please help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated.
    your issue has been solved in the latest .141 update (allegedly!) available from your Desktop manager....
    05-07-09 09:34 AM
    I set the left button to access the keyboard but I want an icon on the main 8 to show voice dial. How do i do that?
    05-07-09 01:39 PM
    Didnt read all the way through sorry if this is a repost...

Call your voicemail without having to enter password ...

1. Click on CALL button (green button)
    2. Press BB button (Blackberry button)
    3. Scroll and click on OPTIONS
    4. Click on VOICE MAIL
    5. Under "Password", type in your password.

So now, when you press and hold down 1, it will call your voicemail and will pause automatically and enters your password for you.
    05-07-09 02:39 PM
    In the browser, how can I quick scroll or go directly to the end of the page? If it is a long page, it can take me 25 swipes to scroll to the bottom.

Thanks,
    05-07-09 03:14 PM
    I read through the first couple pages, and I cant imagine this not being covered. I am pretty new to the BB family. But to save yourself a lot of time:
    When composing any message type in "mypin" and press space. Your pin with generate in the message.

This is the best thing I have found.
    05-07-09 06:10 PM
    I'm not sure how many people know this but in landscape mode while typing if you hold down a letter it will capitalize it
    05-07-09 07:50 PM
    I read through the first couple pages, and I cant imagine this not being covered. I am pretty new to the BB family. But to save yourself a lot of time:
    When composing any message type in "mypin" and press space. Your pin with generate in the message.

This is the best thing I have found.
    There's a whole lot more like it and yes it has been covered, several times over.
    "mynumber" "myinfo" there's more, but it's all I can recall right now since these are the only ones I use all the time.
    Actually elsewhere here I have posted how to find all of them and how to create.
    05-07-09 08:35 PM
    Found it, here it is...
    There's more, you can check them out yourself by, while writing a dummy sms and pull up the menu and click on 'edit autotext', look for the ones that have a % next to them i.e. [ lt (%T) ] lt space will give you the local time, sig will give you the text of your owner info, usrid will give you the name you have entered as owner. There's more, check it out and add some yourself such as some unique text for your signature.
    I'm not sure how many people know this but in landscape mode while typing if you hold down a letter it will capitalize it
    BTW: Sorry, my mistake, it's not "myinfo" it's "sig", sorry!
    05-07-09 08:42 PM
    Newbie here, sorry.

I have a Storm, and I am having trouble syncing my contacts. The site won't let me start my own thread for some reason. My problem is:

When I sync with Outlook, my contacts appear twice, last name first, then first name first. I manually deleted 300 contacts from my phone, rearranged and deleted duplicate Outlook entries, and when I synced again it still put duplicate entries on my phone.

Please help!
    05-07-09 09:03 PM
    Look for threads about stormslider or stormlock. They will both do the job. I prefer stormslider as it is one of my favorite apps.
    05-07-09 09:51 PM
    Look for threads about stormslider or stormlock. They will both do the job. I prefer stormslider as it is one of my favorite apps.
    I have the same problem. What I do is I use the lock button on top left of the storm as you face the display. You should be able to see a pad lock icon etched on the plastic. I assume you are looking for the button, not some app.
    You don't need an app, use the lock, it works!
    05-07-09 10:40 PM
    In the browser, how can I quick scroll or go directly to the end of the page? If it is a long page, it can take me 25 swipes to scroll to the bottom.

Thanks,
    Just pull up the keyboard and press "T" for top and "B" for bottom of the page. Play around with the other keys while you're there and you'll discover a few more time savers. Works in both portrait and landscape.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 02:27 AM
    That was excellent, thanks. Lots there that I knew and lots i didn't. Cheers.
    05-08-09 05:32 AM
    Can I delete bb messanger? I don't use it! Does it have to be there?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 03:53 PM
    Good job!! Congratulations!!
    05-09-09 03:39 PM
    How can I reduce the sensitivity of storm bec its always changing to portrait to landscape and its annoying.thanks
    05-11-09 02:00 AM
1,278 ... 4243444546 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD