View Poll Results: How do you feel about your new BlackBerry Storm?

Voters
3615. You may not vote on this poll
  • Completely Happy. I Love it!

1,151 31.84%
  • Satisfied. It's ok now and know it'll get better.

1,905 52.70%
  • Not Happy. I expected more but am keeping it.

285 7.88%
  • Really Not Happy. I'm taking it back.

173 4.79%
  • RIM Fraked Up.

101 2.79%
08-13-09 07:18 PM
579 123 ...
tools
    So I'm starting this poll on November 21 st, 6pm. Today is the first day the Verizon Storm has been on sale.

Today has also been the busiest day in CrackBerry.com's history from a traffic perspective - the forums have been non-stop with Storm action. We even broke a Million forum posts today!

In reading through the new Storm threads, I have never seen such opposing reactions to a new BlackBerry. Some of you are loving it. Some of you are hating it. Some of you are somewhere in the middle or just haven't made up your mind yet. I want this thread to be useful... so

A) If you're a STORM OWNER, vote on the poll above

and

B) Let us concisely know what you love like, dislike, where you see room for improvement, what you think is really wrong, etc. on the forum thread below. Lists your Pros/Cons, Hits/Misses. Keep it objective!
    11-21-08 06:15 PM
    Good Idea Kev...
    11-21-08 06:16 PM
    Pros:
    Large Screen
    Looks cool
    3.2MP Camera

Cons:
    Screen Movement
    Loose buttons (2 of 3) - on/off about to fall off
    Laggy
    Freezes from time to time (won't accept screen tap or any button for that matter)
    Random reboot (2X in 12 hours) - sitting on desk while charging & sitting on desk unplugged
    No shortcuts (knew this ahead of time but didn't realize my dependence)
    11-21-08 06:25 PM
    This all has been said before, just not under one thread, good thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 06:25 PM
    The question is..... How did Kevin vote???
    11-21-08 06:40 PM
    Got mine at 10:30 this morning :-D

Cons:
    - difficulties with the touchpad keyboard (had full qwerty for 5 years from the V to the enV to the curve), though I'm willing to write this off as I know that as I try different sensitivities and use it more, I'll get up to speed again
    - browser. really difficult to click links as clicking seems to zoom in rather than click. probably a really simple explanation somewhere I haven't found yet.
    - the big problem: the OS lags. yes I knew this going into it from the reviews, but it's just such an irritation after my curve

Pros:
    - amazing display
    - great design
    - the envy of every person i know ha
    - international capabilities

Since I couldn't play with it all day since I was at work, I know that I need a night (or three?!) to sit down with it and really play with it. I've already discovered some shortcuts that have solved some of my first irritations, and I know there are tons more...just need to dig around to find them as they're different than the curve!

Bottom Line: I know time will iron out most of my problems with the phone, so I'm inclined to keep it, BUT I'm going to give it a full week test run before I sell my curve and commit, because the big question for me is whether or not I'm willing to put up with the severe lags in the OS until they come out with an update to fix them. Any which way, even if I do end up returning it now, I'll DEFinitely be getting it when the OS is running smoothly... it's an amazing phone!!
    11-21-08 06:46 PM
    Didn't buy one played with in store for 20 mins total 5 this morning 15 this evening. Big screen pro camera takes good pictures same size as curve almost. Cons: freezes like crazy typing is hard to do switching from side to side is slow wait for awhile the store I went to outside of philadelphia had only recd 5 the rest are being ordered

11-21-08 06:48 PM
    The question is..... How did Kevin vote???
    HAHA. CrackBerry Kevin automatically loves all BlackBerry devices. The Storm is an interesting one though... I'm a bit all over the place on it. Some things I love about it, some things I like about it, some things I'm not so fond of, a couple things that I really don't like about it, and a couple things that just make me go ????????

I'll get my full thoughts up here soon enough. Still giving it some more time. There's a bit of learning curve with the Storm and I won't judge it until I consider myself to have "mastered" it. Getting there.
    11-21-08 06:52 PM
    Still trying to get the hang of texting but this is an amazing device. Glad I finally made the switch!
    11-21-08 07:00 PM
    The lag issues are the biggest concern of mine, but not enough for me to dislike to device. My biggest gripe so far is the fade in /out effect after pressing a button or going back to the home screen. I dont expect it to be Bold fast at this point, but I wish it would just go, and skip the animation.

Im not a huge fan of the qwerty keyboard either, because the farther to the right, the harder I have to press the buttons to register. Is my phone defective or does everyone have this problem?
    11-21-08 07:01 PM
    I waited 2 hours outside store and got 1 of 10 that they had. I must say I'm a little dissappointed with it. It is a little more difficult to get things done quickly like I am used to.
    I am going to stay with it for a while though and go through the learning stages, and I think it will get better. The OS is a little buggy and typing is not as quick. I think OS upgrades will make it better.
    It IS a pretty cool phone with a great display. I compare it to my curve and it is a nice upgrade. (i miss the quickness of the curve though)
    3rd party apps should be pretty cool for this one, when they start to become available. >> I'm gonna hang with it for a while, I think it'll grow on me
    11-21-08 07:10 PM
    I voted "completely happy" even though I didn't receive my order yet. I just wanted it so badly and I'm going to love it no matter what
    11-21-08 07:16 PM
    i am dissapointed that during a call the screen does not lock or do something to keep my face from clicking through all the help menues when I hold the phone between my face and shoulder. Otherwise I am pretty happy with it. Some OS updates would be nice though
    11-21-08 07:17 PM
    updates will come
    patience grasshopper
    11-21-08 07:18 PM
    The lag people are talking about is probably just the fact that they are not sure they have pressed
    The correct button physically! If u learn to trust the sure click you will love the storm. End of!

11-21-08 07:18 PM
    My opinion may be of limited value as this is my first BlackBerry and my first smart phone, but since I got it this morning, I can't put it down.

Things I like:
    - The touch screen feels great. I really like the "touch to highlight, then click" idea.
    - The quality of the screen is great for photos and vids.
    - Bluetoothed right into my car w/o a problem (a lot of phones won't).
    - All my accessories for my RAZR2 use the same micro-usb as the Storm.
    - I can plug the Storm into my computer or my car usb to charge it.
    - QWERTY touch is weird at first, but I feel I'm really gonna like it when I get used to it.
    - 8 gig memory card. All my iTunes are on with room for more.
    - Easy set-up for my multiple e-mail accts.
    - I'm not experiencing any noticible lag with the screen or the phone itself.

Not so much:
    - I took the trial offer of VZNavigator. It worked on a dry run in my office, but I had no voice assistance on two trips down the road later today. Guess I need to call CS.
    - Sure-Typing is difficult for me, but I'm willing to give it time.
    - Web page loading is slow - especially for this site (Crackberry), but could have been due to the heavy site traffic today.
    - No slip case.
    - Piano black finishes really show fingerprints.
    - The Store did not bother to format the 8 gig memory card. I had to do it after I figured out what was wrong.

I still have a ton of learning to do, but so far, I love it!
    11-21-08 07:21 PM
    I love it. There's still a lot to get used to and the OS has a long way to go. But, I'm patient and I love the features. I'm also a first time Blackberry user, so it's all new to me
    11-21-08 07:25 PM
    I knew it was somewhat laggy due to this OS build, but it's not REALLY that bad. I did have one unintentional reboot today but I can most likely blame that on VZ Navigator... not a GREAT piece of software. Took it a while to reboot as well... I was a little panic'd about it.

My left lower corner (by the green phone button) is REALLY hard to press down. Everywhere else seems to be ok though. It's just that one area... wonder if it's a MFG defect. I have to PRESS it about 10 x harder than anywhere else to get it to register, and there's almost NO click ever.

I might try exchanging it in a week or two, or at least seeing if the others are similar.

OTHERWISE... I really like the phone a lot. It's really got some power options under the hood if you look.
    11-21-08 07:33 PM
    Being a blackberry developer I got some good time in with some pre release storms a
    while ago. I was a confirmed hater of the touch screen but now that I have my release
    model storm I've been using it non stop and I'm sold on this device. And I do dig the
    touch screen and the click.

11-21-08 07:38 PM
    Love the resolution of the screen. Color is more vibrant and it has more depth than the iPhone. That little .25" shorter length than the iPhone makes a huge difference when browsing web pages. Pull up CB on the iPhone. You can read it. Pull up CB on a Storm, you can't read it without zooming. RIM was sooo close to making something that could compete with the iPhone's browsing experience.

I've not had the typing issues that others have complained of. I actually don't mind typing on it. SureType rocks. Even if you make mistakes it MOSTLY seems to know what you're trying to say.

Beyond that, improve the laggy OS and it's a pretty decent machine. I must admit I am disappointed, but I had pretty high expectations. For the time being, I must be contented with saying "It's not fantastic, but it's a good phone."
    11-21-08 07:46 PM
    i am dissapointed that during a call the screen does not lock or do something to keep my face from clicking through all the help menues when I hold the phone between my face and shoulder. Otherwise I am pretty happy with it. Some OS updates would be nice though
    I agree completely! keep changing it to speaker, but I really love the phone. as Kevin said theres a learning curve with this one!!!
    11-21-08 07:51 PM
    I am very satisfied with the storm but I believe it will get better in time with new apps and updates.

Pros:
    screen looks amazing
    easy to use after playing with it for a day
    very good camera phone
    specs are good
    speaker is great
    verizon / blackberry

Cons:
    gap
    not enough apps especially the youtube app not out yet (quality isnt that good going through browser unless i am missing something there)
    expected volume keys to work on side for calls/texts
    music player isnt that good (even tho bb isnt known for being a music player)
    11-21-08 07:52 PM
    Got mine this morning but only had limited time to play. So far, I've found the call/sound quality slightly superior to my 8330. Maybe its just a setting, but it made my Curve sound a bit "tinny" in comparison. Also I'm loving the camera. It's about time some US models started coming with a decent res camera. I also like the extra weight this has over the Curve. I know lightweight is better, but it makes the Storm fell more "solid" than the Curve did.

On the flip side the lag is a little dissapointing....and its not just getting used to the touch screen/click. I wasnt even out of Verizon's parking lot yet when mine completely froze on me and wouldnt respond till I re-booted. Hopefully future updates will clear this up...not hating on the new toy; was just hoping for something a little smoother after all the hype.
    11-21-08 07:56 PM
    A couple weeks ago I had seen that it was supposed to come with an 8GB memory card. Did that end up happening?
    11-21-08 08:08 PM
    So far I am very happy I am posting with it now and can say I love it and I have not put it down since I got home
    11-21-08 08:29 PM
579 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD