Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
01-02-09 09:30 AM
34 12
tools
    The dust that is, there is now about 100 tiny little specs of dust. So thinking about going to vw and getting a new one. Is this disputable or are they just going to order me a new one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 05:16 PM
    It seems like an inherent manufacturing flaw -- you should be good. I am almost ready to do the same, but how do you know it won't appear on the new model? PS Are you a pocket user?
    12-25-08 05:24 PM
    Yes, I don't see myself carrying in hand all the time.

12-25-08 05:29 PM
    I appreciate the sarcasm

You could always use a belt clip or holster of some sort.
    12-25-08 05:30 PM
    i tried this already...the people in verizon said they would send me an exact same model, but it will be factory refurbished and not brand new...

i always kept mine in holster
    12-25-08 05:40 PM
    It's probably going to happen to every Storm you get after a while. I believe there is a thread where someone suggested putting foam in the gaps. Otherwise, good luck with whatever you do.

12-25-08 05:41 PM
    You can get dust or pocket lint on almost any phone. The new one might add it just like this phone. Might not be worth doing it.
    12-25-08 05:41 PM
    Guys I started a new topic so feel free to submit your ideas for a fix!
    12-25-08 05:51 PM
    I believe there is a thread where someone suggested putting foam in the gaps.
    Thats got to be the dumbest idea ever
    12-25-08 05:58 PM
    Guys I started a new topic so feel free to submit your ideas for a fix!
    You shouldn't have done that. You should have just used this thread even though there are many others like this and ones that already provide a fix. Multiple threads on the same topic in the same day is a waste of space. Not trying to be rude. Thanks for contributing though.

12-25-08 05:58 PM
    I think the best solution to preventing dust from getting under the screen is to actually seal up the gap between the two layers of the screen. I, and a couple other crackheads, have done this and it seems to be working great. Even though my phone is a newer build that is unlikely to have dust problems, applying the seal gives me a lot more confidence.

CAUTION - If you aren't comfortable taking apart your phone and handling small electronics, DO NOT ATTEMPT this! Also, keep in mind this technically voids your warranty though 1) you can avoid detection by carefully removing the warranty sticker and 2) you can always remove the seal if needed.

1) Get the right tools and materials. You need a T6 screwdriver, a phone prying tool, an x-acto knife and thin electrical tape (check the thickness on the tape packaging). An alternative to the phone prying tool is any other hard, thin plastic (NO METAL) edge - those plastic keyrings from Borders, grocery stores, etc. seem to work.

2) Take out your battery, micro SD card and SIM card. Very carefully remove the warranty sticker covering one of the back screws and stick it on a non-stick surface - like the backing stamps come on. You can gently pry off the sticker using a small safety pin or needle. I recommend leaving the sticker on the non-stick surface and placing it aside for safe keeping.

3) Take the phone apart following this video -

4) Take the screen out and clean the sides between the two layers of the screen. If you already have dust in the screen, try using a vacuum to get it out. DO NOT try to blow it out with compressed air - this will only force it further in.

5) Cut a strip of electrical tape to cover one side of the screen. I found the easiest way to cut the strips is to use the x-acto knife to cut it directly from the roll of tape. Just place the blade at the beginning of the tape near the edge (the strip should be as wide as the thickness of the screen) and slowly turn the roll. I recommend cutting each strip a little longer than the length of the side you're covering. Make sure each piece you're cutting has one side from the edge of the tape - this will ensure one side of the tape is perfectly straight.

6) Apply the tape to the side of the screen, sealing up the gap between the top layers (see pic below) . Line up the straight edge of the tape with the top of the screen. Once it's all lined up, take some time applying pressure on the tape to ensure it's all sealed tight. Carefully cut off any excess tape from each end.

7) Repeat step 5 and 6 for each side.

8) Once complete, your screen is probably a little dirty. Now's a good time to clean it off.

9) Before putting your phone back together, give each side of tape another press for good measure.

10) Put your phone back together. Make sure the 2 top and 2 bottom screws are nice and tight. Also, I wouldn't put the camera cover and bottom cover on until you've powered the phone back up and tested the screen - just want to make sure everything is working properly.

I know a video or pics would have been better. But, my phone's back together and working great, and I'm not willing to take it apart again - sorry.

Merry Christmas, Crackheads!

(photo credit to TBacker)
    Last edited by changal; 12-31-08 at 03:14 AM.
    12-25-08 06:02 PM
    It seems like an inherent manufacturing flaw -- you should be good. I am almost ready to do the same, but how do you know it won't appear on the new model? PS Are you a pocket user?
    based on a couple polls it seems the 21009 models are far less likely to have hardware problems...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/whe...issues-120063/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/hardware-poll-107728/
    12-25-08 06:06 PM
    Changal- That is a good fix but with all of that clicking on the screen the tape will start to rub and it will loose its adhesion to the screen! Then after that you will have to go through the disassembly to do it again!
    12-25-08 06:15 PM
    Do you guys walk with piles of dust in your pockets or what? because i've had my phone since day one and always have it in my pocket and have yet to get a piece of dust anywhere under my screen
    12-25-08 06:19 PM
    Changal- That is a good fix but with all of that clicking on the screen the tape will start to rub and it will loose its adhesion to the screen! Then after that you will have to go through the disassembly to do it again!
    i don't know about that - electrical tape is pretty damn sticky and it's completely flush to the sides of the screen. given theres a gap between the screen and the casing, the tape doesn't rub on anything when the screen is clicked. i guess only time will tell.
    12-25-08 06:55 PM
    I use electrical tape a lot and its adhesive is very sticky but has too much play between the contact surface and the material to hold tight, but like you said only time will tell!
    12-25-08 07:01 PM
    If my storm gets dust under the screen for a known defect, they will replace it. Verizon doesn't make their money selling devices, they make it from keeping customers on their wireless service for as long as possible. I can appreciate the OP's concern but come on, this is way more than anyone should be expected to do. I will never disassemble my storm as *that*, will void your warranty and you will not be able to make a legitimate claim, IMHO.
    12-25-08 07:06 PM
    What about a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter? Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking this might work but I'm reluctant to try.
    12-25-08 07:25 PM
    I don't want a fix, I should not have to fix this it is a manufactured problem. I posted this to see if anybody was having trouble getting a replacement due to this problem. Thanks for your concern and comments but please read the OP.
    12-25-08 07:36 PM
    I think the best solution to preventing dust from getting under the screen is to actually seal up the gap between the two layers of the screen. I, and a couple other crackheads, have done this and it seems to be working great. Even though my phone is a newer build that is unlikely to have dust problems, applying the seal gives me a lot more confidence.

CAUTION - If you aren't comfortable taking apart your phone and handling small electronics, DO NOT ATTEMPT this!

1) Get the right tools and materials. You need a T6 screwdriver, a phone prying tool, a x-acto knife and thin electrical tape. An alternative to the phone prying tool is any other hard, thin plastic (NO METAL) edge - those plastic keyrings from Borders, grocery stores, etc. seem to work.

2) Take out your battery, micro SD card and SIM card

3) Take the phone apart following this video -

4) Take the screen out and clean the sides between the two layers of the screen. If you already have dust in the screen, try using a vacuum to get it out. DO NOT try to blow it out with compressed air - this will only force it further in.

5) Cut a strip of electrical tape to cover one side of the screen. I found the easiest thing way to cut the strips is to use the x-acto knife to cut it directly from the roll of tape. Just place the blade at the beginning of the tape near the edge (the strip should be as wide as the thickness of the screen) and slowly turn the roll. I recommend cutting each strip a little longer than the length of the side you're covering. Make sure each piece you're cutting has one side from the edge of the tape - this will ensure one side of the tape is perfectly straight.

6) Apply the tape to the side of the screen, sealing up the gap between the two layers. Line up the straight edge of the tape with the top of the screen. Once it's all lined up, take some time applying pressure on the tape to ensure it's all sealed tight. Carefully cut off any excess tape from each end.

7) Repeat step 5 and 6 for each side.

8) Once complete, your screen is probably a little dirty. Now's a good time to clean it off. Also, give each strip of tape another press for good measure.

9) Put your phone back together.

I know a video or pics would have been better. But, my phone's back together and working great, and I'm not willing to take it apart again - sorry.

Merry Christmas, Crackheads!
    Just did this. We'll see what happens in a couple days. Did manage to get dust that was in the screen by separating the GLASS(Yeah it is glass) screen from its housing. Initial reactions are that the click is alot more "snug" I guess you can say. It also looks as though the light leakage around the screen is no more, which is great cause that kinda bothered me. Great tip. Kudos.
    12-25-08 09:18 PM
    I don't want a fix, I should not have to fix this it is a manufactured problem. I posted this to see if anybody was having trouble getting a replacement due to this problem. Thanks for your concern and comments but please read the OP.
    Funny I found this thread. I just got off the phone with Verizon right now regarding this issue. Per the rep that I spoke too, the lint under the screen issue is not a "known" issue and therefore it is not considered a "manufacturer defect" and therefore not eligible for a replacement unit. Im still within my 30 days so i pulled the cancellation card out and he was more than willing to cancel my account rather than send out a replacement.

Keep in mind this is my 2nd Storm so im not sure how that figures into his judgement call. The first Storm I had was more of a software issue. Right before he cancelled my account I mentioned the screen click issue as well and then he offered to send out a replacement. He said that he HAS heard of the screen click issue and was more than happy to send out a replacement unit.

Conclusion - If you want a replacement unit I would not use the lint issue as a reason. Try mentioning known issues like the screen click or constant freezing/rebooting even after updating to .75. Then cross your fingers and hope that your next phone is sealed better. Thats all you really can do.
    12-26-08 01:23 AM
    I called VZW on the 22nd about my phone accumulating dust under the screen. They were more than happy to send me a NEW SEALED replacement. They actually sent it out on the 23rd via next day delivery and even waived the fee. My new Storm looks to have a MUCH better seal, as there isn't ANY light leaking from between the layers of the screen like my old one has. If this one gets dust in it, there is no hope for anyone else.
    12-26-08 02:40 AM
    I did this yesterday and am very happy with the seal around the screen. However I am having difficulty with the clicking mechanism now after reassembling. No matter how many times I remove the case and carefully put it back together, I either have a crunching click where the screen needs to be pressed down once, then again to fully click, or now I have a perfect click on the top half of the screen and a very tight slow click on the bottom.

#1 - If you open your phone, be careful.
    #2 - Can anyone think of something I can do to fix it? The phone is relatively simple to take apart and put back together and I was very careful in doing so. Any ideas?
    12-30-08 11:39 PM
    I did this yesterday and am very happy with the seal around the screen. However I am having difficulty with the clicking mechanism now after reassembling. No matter how many times I remove the case and carefully put it back together, I either have a crunching click where the screen needs to be pressed down once, then again to fully click, or now I have a perfect click on the top half of the screen and a very tight slow click on the bottom.

#2 - Can anyone think of something I can do to fix it? The phone is relatively simple to take apart and put back together and I was very careful in doing so. Any ideas?
    First, make sure to use the thinnest electrical tape possible. You can check the thickness of various tape on the packaging.

Second, when putting your phone back together make sure the two top and two bottom screws are nice and tight.

Finally, if the screen still isn't clicking properly you can try to very slightly the two middle screws - there are many threads on how this adjustment helps screen click issues.
    12-31-08 03:04 AM

This was happening to me when I first did it. When I went back to check and see what was wrong, I came to the conclusion that I put too much tape on the corners. I overlapped a little. Make sure there is no overlapping, and make sure that the tape is pressed in as much as possible. To the point that if your looking directly top down at the screen, you won't be able to see the tape, or as close as possible. Also assure that the tape is ONLY adhering to the SIDES(LCD and Backlight) of the screen and nothing else, i.e.- don't let it touch the backplate or the Digitizer. The Digitizer is very slightly wider on all sides then the LCD and Backlight. Refer to the pic below.

This worked perfect for me, now the screen is clicking beautiful.

Last edited by cocruxified; 12-31-08 at 05:28 PM.
    12-31-08 04:45 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD