As many have noted, voice notes do not work properly in the .85 release. I did some troubleshooting tonight and think I understand the problem and found a (hopefully temporary) work around.

Problem:
    When you record a voice note then hit pause and stop, the new recording does not show up in your voice notes list. However, I discovered that the voice note recording is actually occurring and being saved to the memory card. It appears that the BBThumbs.dat file that resides in that folder is not being properly updated and the phone doesn't recognize that new recordings are in the folder to list for playback.

Work Around:
    To view and play back voice notes files, back out to the main media screen (with the music, video, ringtone, etc icons at the bottom). Then go to menu>explore>media card>Blackberry>voicenotes. All voice notes will appear in that folder even though the voice notes app doesn't recognize them as being there due to the corrupt BBThumbs.dat file.
    12-28-08 12:50 AM
    Thanks for the tip...
    12-28-08 06:56 AM
    I now designate you as a certified BlackBerry Genius.
    12-28-08 04:51 PM
    I noticed this also this morning, it seems like all the dat files for Media aren't getting updated properly, atleast in my case. If I delete the dat file, then everything shows up, haven't tried this with voice notes as of yet, because I'm in the process of going back to .83.
    12-28-08 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD