So here it is... I have been running .109 for awhile now, and the weekend before last my boss deleted my BES account which sent my storm into a horrible downward spirqal. slowly my core apps started to stop working correctly, and I was left with basicallty phone, sms, camera and email. media player stopped working along with both browsers (BB & opera mini)

I finally gave in after getting spammed a ton with data messages trying to be sent between my device and the no longer associated server and called Verizon BB support. they worked with me to try to resolve all the issues even after I straight up told them I was running the .109 Beta... After several unsucessful attempts to get things fixed Verizon support decided to send me a new / refurbed BB.

I guess that dispells any rumors about voiding your warranty when you upgrade to a leaked OS... Granted it is a refurb, but still a huge plus!

Please do not take this as an open season to go and "brick" your BB, alot of the time most issues can be resolved by rolling back your OS to the "official" release, but if you do experience issues you cannot get fixed, having a beta leak OS will not necessarily disqualify you from getting a new device if something does go severely wrong...
    03-24-09 01:40 PM
    I spoke to a tech last month and asked him if Unofficial updates can void the warranty, he told me that they will not support the update (meaning if the problem is related to the update, they will not help you). What we can do is downgrade it to .75, which is available and they support . However if it's 'Bricked'... they will still replace it, co'z they wouldn't know anyway.

We'll see then...
    03-24-09 01:51 PM
    I spoke to a tech last month and asked him if Unofficial updates can void the warranty, he told me that they will not support the update (meaning if the problem is related to the update, they will not help you). What we can do is downgrade it to .75, which is available and they support . However if it's 'Bricked'... they will still replace it, co'z they wouldn't know anyway.

We'll see then...
    I guess that all depends on how friendly the support engineer is, cuz the one I spoke to tried to help getting the beta working right, and after we had no luck, had me do the downgrade, and all the while was talking about how his kid had done the beta upgrade behind his back and how amazed he was with the improvements he was seeing in the .109 Beta... LOL!!!!
    03-24-09 01:56 PM
    $100 says you didn't reset your IT policies.
    03-24-09 01:59 PM
    another $100 says that if the OS has been rolled back, there wouldn't have been a need to replace the phone.

good post, but methinks that'll just stoke the fires of "oh ****, I bricked my storm trying to load a beta os! Oh wait! I can call Verizon to have them replace the phone because of my inability to read directions!"
    03-24-09 02:09 PM
    It policies were reset I think??? do you mean on the device or the server???, and service books were resent after cancelling my enterprise activation with verizon. ... and rollback didn't fix the media player issue... either way new phone should be delivered today. so all that is left is to move all my files over, etc...
    Last edited by djzachtyler; 03-24-09 at 03:02 PM.
    03-24-09 02:59 PM
    another $100 says that if the OS has been rolled back, there wouldn't have been a need to replace the phone.

good post, but methinks that'll just stoke the fires of "oh ****, I bricked my storm trying to load a beta os! Oh wait! I can call Verizon to have them replace the phone because of my inability to read directions!"
    LMAO!!!! I hear ya!!! Inability to read, and lack of patience usually are the 2 main factors!!!
    03-24-09 03:00 PM
    It policies were reset I think??? do you mean on the device or the server???, and service books were resent after cancelling my enterprise activation with verizon. ... and rollback didn't fix the media player issue... either way new phone should be delivered today. so all that is left is to move all my files over, etc...
    On your device.

Go to Options>Secuity Options>General Settings and scroll down to IT Policy Name. It will tell you the name if one is applied and the date it was last updated. If that date is any time before when you started having problems, I bet clearing that will fix all of your problems.
    03-24-09 03:33 PM

OH SNAP!!!!
    03-24-09 03:39 PM
    OP - you might want to change your sig. . . :-)
    03-24-09 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.