12-27-08 02:16 AM
100 ... 234
tools
    seriously...what's your deal? do you like to follow me around and just chime in when you think it's funny?
    Yay! You have a stalker! ...I wish I was lucky enough to have one
    12-23-08 12:40 PM
    seriously...what's your deal? do you like to follow me around and just chime in when you think it's funny?
    I don't have 12 hours a day to waste following you around. Most of your posts are just comical to me.... you should change your name to CXMINIME.

Seriously though... no hard feelings!
    12-23-08 12:44 PM
    I was always under the impression that when RIM releases a new OS, they take the existing one and revise/add code to it then assign a new version number to it, but CX corrected me. It appears that several different OS versions are being worked on simultaneously (thats the impression I got from CX's post anyway).
    ummm...this goes against EVERYTHING in the software programmer's world...maybe I'm misreading something here, but revisions of most ANY software program ARE, in fact, added to the existing (baseline) platform - now, there may be more than one team building on the same base platform and the best of the bunch is picked as a "release" - but to say that they scrap the code and start over EACH and EVERY time is absolutely insane, and a waste of time (which is how I read your statement).

As a programmer, if you're revising .75, then you're building off that one (the last known good one)...you are NOT going back to earlier revisions and/or starting from scratch (period). This would not be a good use of resources, for any company.
    12-23-08 12:45 PM
    I don't have 12 hours a day to waste following you around. Most of your posts are just comical to me.... you should change your name to CXMINIME.

Seriously though... no hard feelings!
    i guess you find it comical that i help people and that i hosted the leak...

seriously...get off my nuts
    12-23-08 12:47 PM
    If you read all my previous posts, I havent stated one incorrect fact or even an opinion.
    And what I said wasn't meant as an attack against you at all. Nor would I expect you to do a background check on everyone before you post. My point is, CX is one of the most respected names around this site for information from the RIM side of the equasion.

"We take up a handful of sand from the endless landscape of awareness all around us... and we call that handful the Truth."
    12-23-08 12:56 PM
    I've been mostly lurking here for a month and a half, and I've seen John Doe post a few dumb comments.

DonNguyen, you and CX have been the most helpful and patient posters on this board.
    12-23-08 01:00 PM
    And what I said wasn't meant as an attack against you at all. Nor would I expect you to do a background check on everyone before you post. My point is, CX is one of the most respected names around this site for information from the RIM side of the equasion.

"We take up a handful of sand from the endless landscape of awareness all around us... and we call that handful the Truth."
    i still don't understand how people don't get it
    12-23-08 01:01 PM
    ummm...this goes against EVERYTHING in the software programmer's world...maybe I'm misreading something here, but revisions of most ANY software program ARE, in fact, added to the existing (baseline) platform - now, there may be more than one team building on the same base platform and the best of the bunch is picked as a "release" - but to say that they scrap the code and start over EACH and EVERY time is absolutely insane, and a waste of time (which is how I read your statement).

As a programmer, if you're revising .75, then you're building off that one (the last known good one)...you are NOT going back to earlier revisions and/or starting from scratch (period). This would not be a good use of resources, for any company.
    Yeah thats what I would think too, but I don't work for RIM so I wouldn't know. From what he described, it seems like there are multiple OS versions being worked on at any given time. Perhaps they all just start off from one build and try to build on that one.

I know I wouldn't stand having to start from scratch everytime I had to update something, I've always just improved on what I've already written, add new features, etc.
    12-23-08 01:02 PM
    i still don't understand how people don't get it
    Dont get what?
    12-23-08 01:10 PM
    I've been mostly lurking here for a month and a half, and I've seen John Doe post a few dumb comments.

DonNguyen, you and CX have been the most helpful and patient posters on this board.
    Well said rfabro.
    12-23-08 01:13 PM

I totally understand... thats why all i can give to this is what is happening on VZW's end so the fact that CX works for RIM has no weight on what im saying about VZW or vice versa.

Great quote... it is all about perception of the truth or peoples belief of what is the truth.
    12-23-08 01:16 PM

Thanks for the compliment.... 80+ posts and only a "few" dumb comments
    12-23-08 01:16 PM
    Ok, I know this will be a dumb question, but I just got my Storm, so I have not been through an upgrade yet. I am on a BES, so I know that I cannot update using the desktop software, so how do I upgrade? Do I wait until the icon shows up on the phone, telling me there is an update available?
    Thanks for the help, everyone, and Happy Holidays.
    12-23-08 01:22 PM
    I totally understand... thats why all i can give to this is what is happening on VZW's end so the fact that CX works for RIM has no weight on what im saying about VZW or vice versa.

Great quote... it is all about perception of the truth or peoples belief of what is the truth.
    I equally appreciate your input as well... from the VZW perspective. Keep it coming!
    12-23-08 01:25 PM
    Ok, I know this will be a dumb question, but I just got my Storm, so I have not been through an upgrade yet. I am on a BES, so I know that I cannot update using the desktop software, so how do I upgrade? Do I wait until the icon shows up on the phone, telling me there is an update available?
    Thanks for the help, everyone, and Happy Holidays.
    Or you can go into Options - Advanced Options - Wireless Upgrade... 4.7.0.75 is the standard OS right now.
    12-23-08 01:29 PM
    Or you can go into Options - Advanced Options - Wireless Upgrade... 4.7.0.75 is the standard OS right now.
    Thank you.. still learning my way around this thing...
    12-23-08 02:46 PM
    My dumb phones of the past were a **** of a lot faster than this phone. I guess it's like school. The smart kids are usually the slow nonathletic ones.
    12-23-08 03:07 PM
    And I hope the next upgrade is doing some serious illegal juicing.
    12-23-08 03:08 PM
    My money is on CX$$$$$$$$
    12-25-08 09:15 PM
    i installed .83 but it didnt show broswer after it backed it up, and also app dwnlder. so i downgraded it . works fine. is it comin out today for sure?
    12-25-08 10:21 PM
    I heard the next release will be last week and it will be .99128u3292r3nasdfb

Just wait for the next one. It will be out when it's out.

Personally .83 is pretty freakin' flawless and fast. I'm pretty content with .83.
    12-25-08 10:27 PM
    So for those among us still in the dizzy about the whole version number:

1. .83 is the leak. Agreed?
    2. Gasp! RIM discovered the no-audio-through-bluetooth video error. /Fix it.
    3. The version is now .84 (NOT an update OF .83, but the result of changes done TO .83.)
    4. Say the accelerometer lag issues were also hammered. Instead of a final copy of .83, you now have .85.
    5. Fix the memory leak after .85 is done and you have .86.
    6. RIM is content with their OS, so they send it off at .86.
    7. Tested
    8. Released.

So instead of using a full version or "upgraded" .83, you are now on .86, which contains the entire history of updates to that .83. You can't fix .83's issues and continue to call it .83... that is lousy book keeping.

This is also how you get large gaps- .76/.83. Something had to happen between those, didn't it? Now, if .83 was never leaked, .84, .85, .86, etc. would continue development until RIM was pleased with the result, CHOOSING to release it (not a bash on leaks in any way). That is why we will most likely (if not definitely) see ANYTHING above a .83 in the official release; as mentioned before, it would be customer service ****, which is why it was never released officially to begin with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm all ears.
    12-25-08 11:59 PM

3. The version is now .84 (NOT an update OF .83, but the result of changes done TO .83.)
    4. Say the accelerometer lag issues were also hammered. Instead of a final copy of .83, you now have .85.
    7. Tested
    8. Released.

So instead of using a full version or "upgraded" .83, you are now on .86, which contains the entire history of updates to that .83. You can't fix .83's issues and continue to call it .83... that is lousy book keeping.

This is also how you get large gaps- .76/.83. Something had to happen between those, didn't it? Now, if .83 was never leaked, .84, .85, .86, etc. would continue development until RIM was pleased with the result, CHOOSING to release it (not a bash on leaks in any way). That is why we will most likely (if not definitely) see ANYTHING above a .83 in the official release; as mentioned before, it would be customer service ****, which is why it was never released officially to begin with.

I agree. There are too many bugs with .83 for VZW to release it as an official OS. Im sure they are just waiting for .85 to be fully tested.
    12-26-08 09:17 AM

7. Tested
    8. Released.

I don't know if the specific changes you are referring to or os numbers are accurate (not calling you out, I just don't know), but you are right about the way that the version numbers are assigned. When a version number is assigned, and changes are made, it seases to be what it was before, but rather, is a new and higher number. If changes of any kind are made, a new OS number results.
    12-26-08 12:22 PM
    No; those were simply examples.
    12-27-08 02:16 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD