12-27-08 02:16 AM
100 1234
tools
    Damm it! I am leaving today and I was hoping to see the amazing speed up of the storm. It's true that it seems to have some bugs, but also many good things...
    Correct, in some ways it's much better than previous versions. In others it's a step back. Typical this early. No worries, they'll get it right.
    12-23-08 12:00 PM
    i highly doubt Verizon wants to deal with this new batch of problems people are having and doubt Verizon will release this build either
    12-23-08 12:01 PM
    OK, the Oracle (me) will speak now.

On the first half of the first month of the new year when the Sun rises in the East, there will be a release of .85, .87, or .89 for the risen Storm. This is how it shall be done.
    12-23-08 12:04 PM
    OK, the Oracle (me) will speak now.

On the first half of the first month of the new year when the Sun rises in the East, there will be a release of .85, .87, or .89 for the risen Storm. This is how it shall be done.
    Thank you. We great appreciate it. All hail....
    12-23-08 12:08 PM
    hahahaha

did you take the red pill or the blue pill?
    12-23-08 12:08 PM
    So although you guys are running the .83 you think is not worth installing it?
    12-23-08 12:10 PM
    Lol. Why people aren't getting this I'm not sure.
    No need to get hostile but our info conflicts. Sorry I'm not taking the word of a moderator on a website over the group that tests the OS from VZW. The VZW test group hasnt received it yet and THATS IT.
    12-23-08 12:11 PM
    i don't see how his post was hostile whatsoever...CX has the patience of a saint...
    12-23-08 12:12 PM
    I'm familar with basic programming in Visual Basic but those like CX and others who also have background in this have to understand that folks who have no clue about programming won't understand the concept that all OS's released are "final", whether it be leaked or "official".

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to have a sticky explaining this concept in great detail, folks like CX are credible not just because hes a moderator (congrats btw) but because he works for RIM and understands their internal processes. Many folks who have the Storm are also completely new to Blackberry and may need a quick rundown of the significance of upgrading your OS, especially if this is their first smartphone. Besides, us Crackberry Storm users always seem to be hungry for any sorta news on any new OS's that may be in the process of being tested (I know CX can't divulge much information on them). lol I don't see many folks eagerly salivating and anticipating software updates for, say, their PS3.

They get confused and mistake it for a "beta" release, although I guess for all intents and purposes it is a beta since the carrier still has to test it at the time between we get our leaked versions and the carrier releases the final. As stated, the carrier does NOT make any changes to the coding of the leaked software, they simply test it and if they like it, they release it, if not it goes to OS heaven, living only in those phones in which people installed the leak version (which sounds like it will be the case with .83).

I hope my post didn't cause even more confusion earlier. I was merely trying to say that I doubt VZW will release .83 because of the issues many people have had with the leaked OS. When VZW does release an OS they like, it'll be higher than .83.

I'd imagine it'd be hard to answer the question of "when will [insert carrier] release OS [insert number]?" Because by the time we get our hands on the leaked version, the carrier is still testing it. I'd imagine that if most of us have issues with it, its safe to say the carrier will not release it.

Outta curiousity, CX are you a programmer? Its nice to know that RIM seems to be working very hard in consistently improving its OS.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 12-23-08 at 12:21 PM.
    12-23-08 12:16 PM
    Sorry I'm not taking the word of a moderator on a website over the group that tests the OS from VZW. The VZW test group hasnt received it yet and THATS IT.
    lol, I love how the Forum Mod cover has allowed CX to go incognito.
    12-23-08 12:16 PM
    i don't see how his post was hostile whatsoever...CX has the patience of a saint...
    You need to wipe that stuff off of your nose, there is a ton of it.
    12-23-08 12:17 PM
    I talked to a vzw rep and he said there was a new one but they didnt have it so I'm not sure but my guess would be its coming soon but today I doubt it but I hope so lol
    12-23-08 12:18 PM
    It may not be but it came across as a little hostile. My sources are the actual people that test the OS before it gets made public to update and i was only letting everyone know. To call my statements "laughable" is a joke in itself because im not giving an opinion but facts. As i said, I'm only letting everyone know what is happening on VZW's end and said .83 isnt final because VZW hasnt received it yet which means its still being worked on or hasnt been submitted to VZW yet. I would know if the VZW test group passed on it as well so thats not what happened either.

If CX has inside info for RIMs plans then good for him but i just know whats happening on our end. Sorry if i came off confrontational but intent is hard to send across on a messageboard.
    12-23-08 12:19 PM
    I'm familar with basic programming in Visual Basic but those like CX and others who also have background in this have to understand that folks who have no clue about programming won't understand the concept that all OS's released are "final", whether it be leaked or "official".

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to have a sticky explaining this concept in great detail, folks like CX are credible not just because hes a moderator (congrats btw) but because he works for RIM and understands their internal processes. Many folks who have the Storm are also completely new to Blackberry and may need a quick rundown of the significance of upgrading your OS, especially if this is their first smartphone.

They get confused and mistake it for a "beta" release, although I guess for all intents and purposes it is a beta since the carrier still has to test it at the time between we get our leaked versions and the carrier releases the final. As stated, the carrier does NOT make any changes to the coding of the leaked software, they simply test it and if they like it, they release it, if not it goes to OS heaven, living only in those phones in which people installed the leak version (which sounds like it will be the case with .83).

I hope my post didn't cause even more confusion earlier. I was merely trying to say that I doubt VZW will release .83 because of the issues many people have had with the leaked OS. When VZW does release an OS they like, it'll be higher than .83.

I'd imagine it'd be hard to answer the question of "when will [insert carrier] release OS [insert number]?" Because by the time we get our hands on the leaked version, the carrier is still testing it. I'd imagine that if most of us have issues with it, its safe to say the carrier will not release it.

Outta curiousity, CX are you a programmer? Its nice to know that RIM seems to be working very hard in consistently improving its OS.
    Perfectly worded... What i meant is calling .83 final is inaccurate as it would be made public to upgrade if it was "final".
    12-23-08 12:22 PM
    It may not be but it came across as a little hostile. My sources are the actual people that test the OS before it gets made public to update and i was only letting everyone know. To call my statements "laughable" is a joke in itself because im not giving an opinion but facts. As i said, I'm only letting everyone know what is happening on VZW's end and said .83 isnt final because VZW hasnt received it yet which means its still being worked on or hasnt been submitted to VZW yet. I would know if the VZW test group passed on it as well so thats not what happened either.

If CX has inside info for RIMs plans then good for him but i just know whats happening on our end. Sorry if i came off confrontational but intent is hard to send across on a messageboard.
    CX works for RIM so if anything we should take his info on whats going on from his end and compare it to whats going on with yours to get a general idea if VZW likes the OS they're currently testing.

We should clarify that when someone from RIM refers to an OS as final, they're finished with that specific OS as an OS that may run similar to say, .83 but with less bugs, will have a completely different version number entirely, and for all we know, be coded in a completely different way. If the carrier approves and is released officially then its "final" on their end and is available for widespread dl through the carrier.

I'm not trying to undermine what CX or Insomnias16 have already said, just trying to take what you two have stated and clarify for people who aren't familar with the process.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 12-23-08 at 12:29 PM.
    12-23-08 12:23 PM
    No need to get hostile but our info conflicts. Sorry I'm not taking the word of a moderator on a website over the group that tests the OS from VZW. The VZW test group hasnt received it yet and THATS IT.
    My Mod status has nothing to do with it. It's about my job.

I've been invisible for months now.
    12-23-08 12:25 PM
    .83 or whatever the next one is will not be coming today. In fact....I'd be shocked to see it by the end of the year.
    12-23-08 12:28 PM
    I love how people CONSTANTLY come in here questioning his credentials. Read a few posts before you make a fool of yourselves folks...
    12-23-08 12:28 PM
    All of this discussion is pointless anyway, I already told you what's going to happen in January.

When what I said comes true, you'll all have to take the red pill.
    12-23-08 12:31 PM
    Many of us will have our return limit on Jan 15-16th, so I just hope the update will come earlier, so that unconvinced people can fairly decide.
    12-23-08 12:34 PM
    You need to wipe that stuff off of your nose, there is a ton of it.
    seriously...what's your deal? do you like to follow me around and just chime in when you think it's funny?
    12-23-08 12:35 PM
    I see 4.0.7.118/4.0.7.83 as a available update on my DM. I will take a snapshot and post it here as soon as im done with the update. I was running .76.
    12-23-08 12:36 PM
    I love how people CONSTANTLY come in here questioning his credentials. Read a few posts before you make a fool of yourselves folks...
    AMEN!
    12-23-08 12:36 PM
    It says no updates available in my storm wireless updater....
    12-23-08 12:38 PM
    "Wise people talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

I just assume he is a moderator with more knowledge than a regular user but I dont think performing a background check is a prerequisite for posting on a message board. I let it be known that i work for VZW and have direct contact with the test group (as well as being a BES admin).

If you read all my previous posts, I havent stated one incorrect fact or even an opinion.
    12-23-08 12:39 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD