12-27-08 02:16 AM
100 1234
tools
    It seems like theres a lot of confusion...
    • .65 wasnt the first OS, .61 was but comsumers didnt see it because it was the OS before release (which was horrible by the way, real bad menu delays)
    • .83 is not final and therefore cant be measured as being "not good enough" or 80% (which is ridiculous in its own right because you dont know what 100% is)
    • The OS isnt from VZW, its from RIM.
    You misread what I meant. I never meant it as 80% but it had its fair share of bugs. I was always under the impression that when RIM releases a new OS, they take the existing one and revise/add code to it then assign a new version number to it, but CX corrected me. It appears that several different OS versions are being worked on simultaneously (thats the impression I got from CX's post anyway).

I know RIM writes the software and distributes it to various service providers pending their approval.

My point was that I can't see Verizon (since thats apparently the service provider who was supposed to get this update) distributing this OS. Its caused bugs for some users and wasn't as reliable as .75.
    12-23-08 10:36 AM
    You misread what I meant. I never meant it as 80% but it had its fair share of bugs. I was always under the impression that when RIM releases a new OS, they take the existing one and revise/add code to it then assign a new version number to it, but CX corrected me. It appears that several different OS versions are being worked on simultaneously (thats the impression I got from CX's post anyway).

I know RIM writes the software and distributes it to various service providers pending their approval.

My point was that I can't see Verizon (since thats apparently the service provider who was supposed to get this update) distributing this OS. Its caused bugs for some users and wasn't as reliable as .75.
    CX may be assuming that since .83 leaked, theyre already working on another OS update but in this situation, its not the case. .83 is still being tested and updated so its not final. Thats why i havent updated my storm yet to .83.

The people that do the testing for RIM and VZW are not all professional and discreet and thats the reason for the leak. From what i know, we (VZW) havent received .83 for testing and unless we get it before the end of the week and everything runs smooth, i dont see it coming out til after the New Year which is a good thing because nobody wants a rushed OS being pushed.
    12-23-08 10:45 AM
    .83 still has bugs and a memory leak, but it was an improvement from .75.... I am hoping they move (Quickly) to another version...
    12-23-08 10:50 AM
    I was told by VZW around three weeks ago that a second update was expected in mid January. We'll see.
    12-23-08 11:00 AM
    It seems like theres a lot of confusion...
    • .65 wasnt the first OS, .61 was but comsumers didnt see it because it was the OS before release (which was horrible by the way, real bad menu delays)
    • .83 is not final and therefore cant be measured as being "not good enough" or 80% (which is ridiculous in its own right because you dont know what 100% is)
    • The OS isnt from VZW, its from RIM.
    All OS's are from RIM. Verizon does not make it's own. RIM builds the OS, tests it, then hands it to the carriers. They test it, and if they like it they release it. Verizon does not build it's own.
    CX may be assuming that since .83 leaked, theyre already working on another OS update but in this situation, its not the case. .83 is still being tested and updated so its not final. Thats why i havent updated my storm yet to .83.

The people that do the testing for RIM and VZW are not all professional and discreet and thats the reason for the leak. From what i know, we (VZW) havent received .83 for testing and unless we get it before the end of the week and everything runs smooth, i dont see it coming out til after the New Year which is a good thing because nobody wants a rushed OS being pushed.
    I'm assuming? There is already new builds. In fact, I have it installed. There are always newer builds than what the public or carrier know about.

Edit: again, I'm sorry, but the statement you made is laughable at best. I mean, you think RIM just stopped? That's not the way it works. And as of probably late today, there will be 2 new builds past .83.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 12-23-08 at 11:02 AM.
    12-23-08 11:00 AM
    [QUOTE=Insomnias16;1246715]CX may be assuming that since .83 leaked, theyre already working on another OS update but in this situation, its not the case. .83 is still being tested and updated so its not final. Thats why i havent updated my storm yet to .83.
    QUOTE]

I am sure that RIM is way beyond working on .83. Just because that is what was given to Verzion, doesn't mean it is the most recent build.
    12-23-08 11:01 AM
    [QUOTE=smpross;1246825]
    QUOTE]

I am sure that RIM is way beyond working on .83. Just because that is what was given to Verzion, doesn't mean it is the most recent build.
    Exactly, obviously he is unaware of how this works.
    12-23-08 11:03 AM
    i think .83 was an official unofficial beta release, these things don't happen by accident, if they didn't officialy release it they don't have to support it. They are hopefuly watching these forums and getting ready for the .83< release which will hopefuly take care of a lot of issues.
    12-23-08 11:10 AM
    Also, to claims that .83 isn't "final". I'm not totally sure what that's supposed to mean, but .83 is what it is. There will be no changes made to it, it is what it is, and if the carriers do not want it like it is, they will move on to the next build. Again, the SW is built and tested. It is then sent to the carriers who test it. If they like it, they release it. If they don't, they wait on the next one.
    12-23-08 11:10 AM
    I laugh why you all waiting for the release iv had the leaked and no problems keep waiting
    12-23-08 11:11 AM
    Also, to claims that .83 isn't "final". I'm not totally sure what that's supposed to mean, but .83 is what it is. There will be no changes made to it, it is what it is, and if the carriers do not want it like it is, they will move on to the next build. Again, the SW is built and tested. It is then sent to the carriers who test it. If they like it, they release it. If they don't, they wait on the next one.
    I hope you have this copied and pasted because it seems as though you have to tell this to people every time someone brings up an OS version
    12-23-08 11:14 AM
    I hope you have this copied and pasted because it seems as though you have to tell this to people every time someone brings up an OS version
    Yes I know. Where people come up with this other stuff is beyond me.
    12-23-08 11:18 AM
    Hmmm. Has anyone at RIM seen the black Verizon screen at boot up?
    12-23-08 11:29 AM
    I have the leaked .83 and it works GREAT!

Would there be any advantage to getting the "official" .83???

Your statement that it works GREAT, tells me that I would not mess with it then. Especially if it is just the "official" .83. Now, if they come out with something above the .83, I would wait to see what they fixed and may update if I felt it would help my Storm. Otherwise, I would stay with what works.

This is just MHO.
    12-23-08 11:33 AM
    All OS's are from RIM. Verizon does not make it's own. RIM builds the OS, tests it, then hands it to the carriers. They test it, and if they like it they release it. Verizon does not build it's own.

I'm assuming? There is already new builds. In fact, I have it installed. There are always newer builds than what the public or carrier know about.

Edit: again, I'm sorry, but the statement you made is laughable at best. I mean, you think RIM just stopped? That's not the way it works. And as of probably late today, there will be 2 new builds past .83.
    Not sure if youre confirming what i said or you misread but i did say that RIM builds the OS not VZW.

I'm only going by what VZW has tested or is testing. We still havent received .83 which means its not done yet or RIMs not releasing it to us. I dont know what RIM is doing but obviously you have the inside track with them if youre using something later than .83
    12-23-08 11:35 AM
    Not sure if youre confirming what i said or you misread but i did say that RIM builds the OS not VZW.

I'm only going by what VZW has tested or is testing. We still havent received .83 which means its not done yet.
    Verizon has had access to this OS for days now. Almost a week to be exact. And again. .83 is DONE! NOTHING else will be added to it. Once it leaves RIM it's DONE.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 12-23-08 at 11:39 AM.
    12-23-08 11:37 AM
    So will it be out today or not?
    12-23-08 11:47 AM
    Verizon has had access to this OS for days now. Almost a week to be exact. And again. .83 is DONE! NOTHING else will be added to it. Once it leaves RIM it's DONE.
    lol, I don't understand. Once it leaves RIM, is it done?
    12-23-08 11:49 AM
    Lol. Why people aren't getting this I'm not sure.
    12-23-08 11:51 AM
    So RIM gives it to Verizon and says here it is if you have issues we will fix it on the next upgrade. Hope it works. Let us know if it doesn't...
    Last edited by accce; 12-23-08 at 11:55 AM.
    12-23-08 11:53 AM
    Wow, I leave for 15 minutes and Crucial is already yelling at people lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-08 11:54 AM
    Are you smelling the update like crispy snow coming?
    CX, still confident it will be today? Noon perhaps?
    12-23-08 11:55 AM
    Wow, I leave for 15 minutes and Crucial is already yelling at people lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm not yelling, only trying to emphasize the statement so I don't have to make it yet again.

Are you smelling the update like crispy snow coming?
    CX, still confident it will be today? Noon perhaps?
    I never said it was coming today. I said that there were rumors it was coming today. Personally, as I posted elsewhere earlier, I don't believe it will be this build and not today.
    12-23-08 11:57 AM
    once it leaves RIM, Verizon tests it and decides whether or not they like it...if they like it, they push it out...if not, they tell RIM they don't like it and wait for another one...
    12-23-08 11:57 AM
    I never said it was coming today. I said that there were rumors it was coming today. Personally, as I posted elsewhere earlier, I don't believe it will be this build and not today.
    Damm it! I am leaving today and I was hoping to see the amazing speed up of the storm. It's true that it seems to have some bugs, but also many good things...
    12-23-08 11:59 AM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD