I was lukewarm a few days after buying it and using it. After installing the leaked upgrade on this site I am really let down. It is slow and unresponsive. I had to work to get the contacts back onto it from Outlook.

Turning the device on now requires a couple of minutes and a couple of screens that tell me the memory card is inserted and security is turned on.

Switching from portait to landscape is faster. The keyboard is no better.
    I also had to reset my email account. Which I am still trying to do.

Overall I am not impressed. If I am doing something wrong I would love to hear some advice. So far this has been way to difficult of a transition and not yet worth the effort.
    12-28-08 10:43 PM
    Still won't let me set up my email account after loading the leaked upgrade.

What give with that. It worked prior!
    12-28-08 10:48 PM
    Still won't let me set up my email account after loading the leaked upgrade.

What give with that. It worked prior!
    define reset your email account, what did you try to do?
    12-28-08 10:52 PM
    12-28-08 10:56 PM
    In addition I can no longer get my email because now it says the information I provided is incorrect. Even though it is the same info I used to set up my email a few days ago when I bought this. Since I upgraded to the leaked OS I have had nothing but problems.

I have run out of patience with this device.
    12-28-08 11:01 PM
    Still the same thing....walks me through the setup and then tels me its wrong.

How do I UNDO THIS EFFING UPGRADE it isn't working
    12-28-08 11:13 PM
    Calm down. Are you trying to enter the info from your phone? I would try doing it from the VZW BIS site.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
    12-28-08 11:21 PM
    why did you install the leaked version... in doing so, you put yourself in that predicament. these leaked OS's are not for everybody. CB even warns you, "This is NOT an official release, so install at your own risk and only if you're comfortable with doing so."
    12-28-08 11:29 PM
    It sucks and has effed up my new Storm.

I am done with this. It's been the worst phone/PDA experience I have ever had.

And I STILL can't go back to the version that came with the device. After a couple of hours I am ready to give up and just return it.
    12-28-08 11:58 PM
    I was lukewarm a few days after buying it and using it. After installing the leaked upgrade on this site I am really let down. It is slow and unresponsive. I had to work to get the contacts back onto it from Outlook.

Turning the device on now requires a couple of minutes and a couple of screens that tell me the memory card is inserted and security is turned on.

Overall I am not impressed. If I am doing something wrong I would love to hear some advice. So far this has been way to difficult of a transition and not yet worth the effort.
    ok , well , sorry you are experiencing user error while using this device, A) you are posting in the wrong subfourm and this post should be moved , B) options>advnaced options > service books> menu > resend service books, if this dosen't work go to > manage conncetions > email > and redo the set up .
    12-29-08 12:07 AM
    Obviously the phone is to smart for you, and you shouldn't be whining about it when you can't handle it. It worked flawlessly with me. Its your own fault for installing something that isn't official and have no idea what you are doing.

User Error
    12-29-08 12:09 AM
    It sucks and has effed up my new Storm.

I am done with this. It's been the worst phone/PDA experience I have ever had.

And I STILL can't go back to the version that came with the device. After a couple of hours I am ready to give up and just return it.
    First do a battery pull, then follow the advice from Horizon, Sooks and Sunkast.

Then remain calm and all manner of things will be well.
    12-29-08 12:10 AM
    Wow, you have no idea how to work/install/backup/restore anything on a new platform and you blame it on the phone. Calm down.

Read the stickies and how-to's, and get the info back on the phone. Most PDA phones don't have the ability to have so much done to them w/o jumping through hoops like BBs do. I've NEVER used a more user-friendly interface until I switched to BlackBerry (curve was my first).

It seems like you've upgraded/installed the leaked OS w/o backing up and restoring the data. When most of us install the OS the software backsup the info automatically and restores it for us (there's an option to check yes/no to do so). Even if we didn't do that, it's a simple matter of syncing you phone to Outlook and having Outlook override any conflicts.

As for email that link above will setup your emai and service books w/ ease. See if WinMo/Palm/or iPhone allows you to recover info so easily. I remember Palm OS kept duplicating my data on the phone and ruining my Outlook non stop. WinMo always crashed and again duplicated my info from time to time. Both platforms were trouble shot w/ Palm, MS, and the appropriate forums. NEITHER of them were as comprehensive, customizable, or well supported with a community like CrackBerry or Blackberry Forums. iPhone... hah, my friends wish they had the support that Blackberries have.

That said, calm down and stick with it. Your problems (I guarantee you) are either user error (most likely) or a defective phone (highly highly unlikely).

Next time you decide to upgrade to something that's not automated (i.e. leaked) make sure you know how to get yourself out of the pickle before doing it.

If you want to go back to the original OS, be ready to learn how to backup your data (contacts, calander, etc.) and know how to reload it. Be ready to wipe the phone. Be ready to have the correct OS (and only the correct OS) install. Be ready to know where to find the loader software to get the OS back on the phone from your computer. I swear, it's REALLY easy if you understand how the phone and software works on a basic level. BASIC LEVEL. No programming knowledge required...

I'm a dentist, and I can figure this stuff out w/o issues. I don't know why and how anyone else is having problems.
    Last edited by drPheta; 12-29-08 at 12:17 AM.
    12-29-08 12:13 AM
    Frickin' hilarious a phone can get somebody this worked up!
    12-29-08 12:19 AM
    Take some time and be patient, do some researching, you'll get use to it
    12-29-08 12:19 AM
    Obviously the phone is to smart for you, and you shouldn't be whining about it when you can't handle it. It worked flawlessly with me. Its your own fault for installing something that isn't official and have no idea what you are doing.

User Error
    .... a little harsh we are a "loving" community. Help don't hurt(yelling at ppl is rarely as constructive as some may think)
    12-29-08 12:21 AM
    That is true, but people who have little patience for learning something and then blaming it on something else doesn't make them look very good to begin with.

As everyone has said, OP search and you shall receive. If CrackBerry's search sucks do this:

Google and in the search box type:

site:crackberry.com whatever you want to search
    and putting your search parameters in quotes will narrow down your search to try to include all those words... like

"site:crackberry.com "storm os no contacts"

or

"site:crackberry.com "storm os .85"
    12-29-08 12:25 AM
    To the OP:

Goooooossssssffffraaaaaabbbbbbbbaaaaaaa.

With a little patience and getting to know the forums (we're talking hours of reading for most), you will be able to do things to you storm you never knew possible. With patience and knowledge you will find your situation a welcome challenge in the future. All is well. Your phone is fine, you have come to the right place, and hey, you have one of the most advanced peices of hardware on the market. Most of the members here will be willing to help you figure this out.

Goooooooossssssssffffrrrrraaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaa aa.

Good luck.
    12-29-08 12:34 AM
    User Error: Replace user and press any key to continue.

btw, if you can't find "any" key, that's an even bigger indicator that you should do some more reading in the Help/FAQ forum. OS loads and reloads as well as Blackberry answers to pretty much anything will be in there.
    12-29-08 12:41 AM
    are you on bes? if so, the password your it department gave you to set it up originally will no longer work. you need a new one.

Also, you clearly dont have the know how to install beta software, so why did you? Did you ignore the 500 warnings?

So basically, you installed software not supported by your carrier and are pissed cause its not working the way you want?
    12-29-08 01:07 AM

Sounds to me like you're expecting this to be a consumerist device a la "doesn't do a whole lot but does it just about the way you'd expect".

It's more of a power user's toy... Does a LOT but requires a time investment to master.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 03:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD