04-28-09 07:54 PM
56 123
tools
    So, I just installed .132, and some of my old applications, and used the shrink-an-os to slim down my OS as small as I can make it, and yet even after I start the day with a fresh pull (I get about 40 mb of memory) my phones eats it up, and by 4:00, I'm down to the low teens.

I am so annoyed because it continually goes down and does not "recover" memory like everyone tells me it will. I cannot fathom how I own a phone that I have to pull the batter twice a day just to keep it functioning normally. What blows me away even more is that some people can go weeks without pulling the battery! I love the storm, but I cannot deal with this memory leaking anymore. With meterberry installed, every couple of hours I see a HUGE drop in memory (like - 8mb) for no real reason. I have begun to lose my patience, and I'm starting to think the iPhone would be a better choice solely for the reason that their users don't need to micromanage their memory constantly.

Does anyone have any idea why I might be leaking memory so bad?

I'm running <<enso || levitation SE>> theme.
    04-25-09 03:40 PM
    well im going to keep saying what i always say, which unfortunately is not going to help you.

i think you probably have memory ocd like most people here.

i hate not being able to save apps to my sd card, and not having alot of app memory but usually no matter how low my memory dropps i dont care because my phone runs the same despite my app memory and i bet yours does to.
    04-25-09 03:45 PM
    Last night I let mine drop to under 10mb and the speed was the same as in the 40 range. I schedule a restart through meterberry and all is well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 03:50 PM
    Unfortunately, no. Once the phone gets to <12 which only takes a few hours, it suddenly takes longer to load things up, and slows down dramatically. Trying to compose an SMS and I'll get the clock, or trying to scroll the home menu and I'll lag out. I wish I could just forget about it, but it does affect my performance, and if I didn't do a battery pull everyday it would stay that low which really troubles me, as I don't see why it wouldn't recover.
    04-25-09 03:50 PM
    So, I just installed .132, and some of my old applications, and used the shrink-an-os to slim down my OS as small as I can make it, and yet even after I start the day with a fresh pull (I get about 40 mb of memory) my phones eats it up, and by 4:00, I'm down to the low teens.

I am so annoyed because it continually goes down and does not "recover" memory like everyone tells me it will. I cannot fathom how I own a phone that I have to pull the batter twice a day just to keep it functioning normally. What blows me away even more is that some people can go weeks without pulling the battery! I love the storm, but I cannot deal with this memory leaking anymore. With meterberry installed, every couple of hours I see a HUGE drop in memory (like - 8mb) for no real reason. I have begun to lose my patience, and I'm starting to think the iPhone would be a better choice solely for the reason that their users don't need to micromanage their memory constantly.

Does anyone have any idea why I might be leaking memory so bad?

I'm running <<enso || levitation SE>> theme.
    I dunno, my memory never seems to increase. Sure as heck goes down. Did a test last night, it was at 14when I went to bed, got up in the morning sure enough it was at 14. So I dunno about everyone who says that their memory recovers that much.
    04-25-09 04:05 PM
    I feel the same way, I cannot get the memory to go up, only go down.
    04-25-09 04:07 PM
    There is something wrong with an installed app that is draining it. I have the ENSO SE theme and still run with over 30 megs for most of the day and if mine drops to say 20, it will automatically pop back up like it should. Here is a shot from today, you can see it recovers some here and there.

Last edited by howarmat; 04-25-09 at 04:18 PM.
    04-25-09 04:07 PM
    I have 9 apps on my phone and I use quick pull. Every day my memory is over 50 mb. I end up usually with around 40 mb by the time I go to bed.

I do check it twice a day or after I install any other additional app. Basically it's a non issue for me. I don't use a OS shrink either, I simply deleted memory hogging apps I never use.
    04-25-09 04:13 PM
    I loaded 132 and used shrink-an-os like you. I don't have any memory problem at all. Its probably one of your apps. Unfortunately not all apps work as they should due to poor programming. Its not always RIM's fault. I know .75 ran fine without apps and I really think that the leaks have gotten better but part of it is also that newer versions of apps have come out hat work better with the storm. I have over 10 apps installed with no issues. They are as follows

Google maps
    Poynt
    Quick Pull
    Opera
    Bolt
    Facebook
    Pandora
    User twitter
    Speedtest
    Vymail
    And an app that gets me on the net with my laptop

I avoid Viigo and weatherbug because of poor mem utilization

You can bookmark a weather.com page powered by weatherbug and get the same functionality except temp on the hoke screen. This config is fantastic for me. Boots up at 50mb free and stays in the 40's.

The other thing hat helps is keeping the mail folders cleaned up. I gained a lot of memory by lowering the # of days to keep mail from 30 to 15. I also started deleting a lot of messages from device.

04-25-09 04:57 PM
    Did you do a clean install of 132 over 75?

This seems to fix a number of issues.

132 should recover memory in large gulps unless you are running an app that is misbehaving.

Here is mine yesterday (with the new FB and the old WB running LOL)

04-25-09 05:00 PM
    It's funny how RIM gets blamed for memory problems when 99% of the people complaining about it have 3rd party apps and themes installed that they never investigated to see if they are causing the problem. Who do you think is better at writing software for a Blackberry, RIM coders or the guys writing 3rd party apps. Since most people aren't having memory related performance problems it would seem to me that the first place to start troubleshooting is the 3rd party apps before condemning the OS or the phone.
    04-25-09 05:30 PM
    Unfortunately, no. Once the phone gets to <12 which only takes a few hours, it suddenly takes longer to load things up, and slows down dramatically. Trying to compose an SMS and I'll get the clock, or trying to scroll the home menu and I'll lag out. I wish I could just forget about it, but it does affect my performance, and if I didn't do a battery pull everyday it would stay that low which really troubles me, as I don't see why it wouldn't recover.
    I had this same problem, after I upgraded from .113 to .132 and deleted a BUNCH of apps that I never used, I went from going from 27mb down to like 1mb in the matter of 4 hours, but now after the upgrade and deletions I hover from 43mb down to 41mb and back up to 43, the highest it has been so far was 44mb which is a drastic change to where I was before memory wise.
    04-25-09 05:35 PM
    It's funny how RIM gets blamed for memory problems when 99% of the people complaining about it have 3rd party apps and themes installed that they never investigated to see if they are causing the problem. Who do you think is better at writing software for a Blackberry, RIM coders or the guys writing 3rd party apps. Since most people aren't having memory related performance problems it would seem to me that the first place to start troubleshooting is the 3rd party apps before condemning the OS or the phone.
    BINGO! Spot on.....

It does seem strange how people have such different phone characteristics, even running the same OS.....the wild card in all of this is the various 3rd party apps, themes, etc.
    04-25-09 06:29 PM
    It's less often the 3rd Party apps and more often user error.
    04-25-09 06:32 PM
    I never blamed rim just merely said it was a new problem with this Os. Late ill post a list of my apps and maybe you guys can help me find the leak.

04-25-09 06:58 PM
    I took my Storm off the charger at like 2:30EST today and it had 37MB then and it has 36MB now after getting sustained use from me all day.

I don't know why it seems that some have memory issues while others have a flawless experience, but that just seems to be the case.
    04-25-09 07:28 PM
    Alright, let me clarify.

I do not claim that RIM is responsible for my memory leak, in fact I feel that the new operating systems are very good with memory management. That said, I know that it is likely a 3rd party application that is causing my memory leak, but I have not been able to isolate it and eliminate it. I am baffled as to how my OS can lose so much memory so quickly. Perhaps some of you who are more in "the know" can assist me. Here goes:

Theme:
    <<enso || levitation>> SE (claimed by others to not leak)

Applications:
    Aerize Optimizer
    AIM
    App Store (crackberry)
    BeWeather (this program was installed today, after the leak was already present, whether or not it is contributing is unknown)
    BigTinCan BuzzMe
    BB 4.7 Core Applications
    Blackberry App World
    BB Attachment Service
    BB Maps
    BrickBreaker
    Browser
    CBLauncher
    DocstoGo
    Email Setup Application
    Google Maps
    Helicopter
    logMaid
    MemoPad
    Meterberry
    Pandora
    Phone
    Poynt
    StormSlider
    Tasks
    VyMail
    Word Mole

These are all the applications on my phone. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to isolate this leak but uninstalling the apps and letting the phone run, I cannot seem to find the cause of the dramatic memory leak. I would love to hover even above 25, instead of dropping to the low teens and single digits only hours after a battery pull.

What do you guys think?
    04-25-09 11:18 PM
    Aww no insightful wisdom from you BB gurus? I never meant to insult anyone, I just wanted some advice.

04-26-09 12:36 AM
    Kylazin I don't see any apps on your list that are known memory hogs. Since you have MeterBerry you can give us more info by setting it to change the Update Rate to 15 minutes and then post a copy of your memory log after you do a battery pull and let the Storm run for a few hours. If that log shows a constant drain with no recovery you may need to wipe the device and do a fresh OS install. What you are looking for is memory constantly going Minus and no Plus. If that's the case, something is leaking for sure. Have you followed all the Steps in the Forum Discussion for optimizing the Storm and reset them after an OS update? Like setting network to 1XEV instead of Auto so it doesn't constantly search for a network? They do all go back to default after the update and have to be reset manually.
    04-26-09 02:55 AM
    First off, thats a TON of apps. If you are concerned with memory first thing to do is to pick a maps programs. BB Maps or Google. I bought Garmin Mobile which is bigger but only 1 app and it seems to handle memory much better.

When I've played with Google Maps, zooming around, sat view, etc, and closed the program it wouldn't seem to release all of the memory it used while running.

Also, I have NEVER had luck with any theme either on my v3.5 or my wifes .75 not leaking memory. EVERY one that I tried would kill the memory over the day, especially the ones with Today Plus either hidden or standard.

With the same apps running over a 24h period, running a theme seems to eat about 10mb more than running the default.
    04-26-09 09:08 AM
    The theme is okay, it isn't as memory efficient as the default, but no theme is. I was able to narrow it down to not being the problem as I never had to worry about losing too much memory with just the theme active.

I was not aware that google maps was not releasing memory, I don't really use it all that often, but I prefer it to BB Maps, so I uninstalled BB Maps.

I'm letting my phone run, and I'll post a picture of my meterberry memory log a little later.

EDIT: That's a ton of apps? If this is a lot, then RIM needs to do something about app memory. This is a thinned out list, for my memory's sake. If they wanted this to be a competitor in the smart phone market, don't you think they'd have to let the users put more applications on it? Half of those apps are the default RIM stuff.
    Last edited by Kylazin; 04-26-09 at 10:13 AM.
    04-26-09 10:05 AM
    Kylazin I don't see any apps on your list that are known memory hogs. Since you have MeterBerry you can give us more info by setting it to change the Update Rate to 15 minutes and then post a copy of your memory log after you do a battery pull and let the Storm run for a few hours. If that log shows a constant drain with no recovery you may need to wipe the device and do a fresh OS install. What you are looking for is memory constantly going Minus and no Plus. If that's the case, something is leaking for sure. Have you followed all the Steps in the Forum Discussion for optimizing the Storm and reset them after an OS update? Like setting network to 1XEV instead of Auto so it doesn't constantly search for a network? They do all go back to default after the update and have to be reset manually.
    Does anyone know of a list of memory-hoggin' apps? It would be good to know. I've done a wipe an reinstalled .131 with almost no 3rd party apps (only Meterberry and Capture It) and am seeing how things go. Will post back in a day or two on how this test goes if anyone is interested
    04-26-09 10:09 AM
    I am Phoct, let me know what your result it. I'm almost positive my leak is a 3rd party app, it is just frustrating not being able to figure out which one is causing the trouble.
    04-26-09 10:11 AM
    i had the same problem so i think you should reconsider your third party apps. one by one i deleted, checked then reinstalled the app evaluated whether or not it caused memory leaks. i use quickpull which works fine but when i upgraded to quickpull v2 i noticed a big difference in memory loss so out it went. i know it sucks but there aren't many alternatives.
    04-26-09 10:16 AM
    just a tip, i got rid of blackberry maps and just use google maps. i'm pretty sure that'll free up a nice chunk of mem.
    04-26-09 10:19 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD