I have Verizon Fios internet service 20MB down 20MB up. I use Firefox.

The Storm's browser performance with the update to .85 is almost as fast as when I'm using the browser on my PC.

Every page, no matter which one I go to, is now loading incredibly fast to the point that it feels almost as quick and to the point as when I'm browsing the web on my computer. They've definitely hit the sweet spot with the browser in this update.

Anyone else noticing this incredible performance? For sites I visit very regularly it's pretty much on par with my pc browser.
    12-28-08 04:02 AM
    What's Verizon Fios?
    12-28-08 04:08 AM
    My browser is nowhere near as fast as a computer. Opera Mini maybe... My browser gets hung up going to the mobile facebook site sometimes. I don't get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 04:09 AM
    Opera Mini is remarkably fast! The OEM Browser is useless!
    12-28-08 04:10 AM
    Fios is fiber optic aka cable. Really good speeds. And yes I've noticed the browser is a lot faster!

12-28-08 04:10 AM
    I would say the browser is fast but not as fast as a computer.
    12-28-08 04:12 AM
    mmmmmmmmmm

Do you have Javascript turned on? If not, turn that on then try the sites again.

It's fast for a mobile phone, but my PC's browser (I use Firefox as well) is WAAAAAAYYYY faster. Any web page loads almost instantly, like less than a second. If your Storm loads an html page just as fast then you probably got one of those super units or something.... lol

are you sure you're not loading WAP sites? cuz WAP sites are super fast on mobile phones anyway.
    Last edited by Bonjour43MA; 12-28-08 at 04:17 AM.
    12-28-08 04:13 AM
    Having java script turned on significantly reduces my browser speeds. That's always been the case. Not sure how it speeds yours up... I wouldn't mind seeing a video of your lighting fast browser.

12-28-08 04:16 AM
    Having java script turned on significantly reduces my browser speeds. That's always been the case. Not sure how it speeds yours up... I wouldn't mind seeing a video of your lighting fast browser.

that's what I meant. He may have javascript turned off so the pages may be loading faster than they should (but without proper rendering).

I have yet to seen a mobile phone connected to a wireless network that loads as fast as a home PC browser.... maybe in Japan or Korea, but definitely not here. Not yet.
    12-28-08 04:20 AM
    Whats crazy is that apple can not only get javascript, css and EVEN AJAX to work, and rim cant even get javascript implemented right. you gotta turn it off to make the browser usuable.

i mean the fact it can do ajax is amazing. apple has done alot of right with their browser!
    12-28-08 04:53 AM
    Whats crazy is that apple can not only get javascript, css and EVEN AJAX to work, and rim cant even get javascript implemented right. you gotta turn it off to make the browser usuable.

i mean the fact it can do ajax is amazing. apple has done alot of right with their browser!
    Yes and opera mini is completely useless in this area :P
    12-28-08 05:07 AM
    too bad the batt pull reboots are taking so darn so
    12-28-08 05:10 AM
    I've left things at default so if it's on or off, it wasn't done by me specifically. I take it javascript is turned off by default? I've never messed with the setting, but I just checked it definitely disabled on my Storm.

I'm using the OEM browser that comes with the storm. It really is almost as fast my pc's browser -- extra emphasis on almost -- but with sites I visit a lot like Narutomania.com it's exactly on par with my pc and I'm definitely running a strong machine. It's why I'm so surprised by this. Maybe it's because the site is all over the cache. I specifically tried "teamxbox.com" because I know it has a lot of annoying things that needs to be loaded and it was only 7 seconds slower than my pc's browser. My pc's browser loads that site in exactly one second. I think it being 7 seconds slower is pretty impressive considering all the annoying things that need to be loaded on that site. Clearly a number of stuff is left out that the browser can't handle, but it's still a lot of things to load up.

I'm gonna look to put together a video to show you guys how fast it is.
    12-28-08 05:19 AM
    oh ok that makes sense. 1 second vs. 7+ seconds. Sounds about right for some pages with javascript turned off.

Have you used any mobile browsers before the Strom?

Also... you need to try Safari Mobile on an ipod or iphone to see where the bar is raised to... it's amazing and I really hope someday RIM can come very close to it, heck, even 95% of Safari mobile will make me very happy.
    12-28-08 06:56 AM
    don't mean to hijack this thread - but how do click the little remember me boxes in Opera when you want to log in?
    12-28-08 09:50 AM
    HHHmmmm maybe his PC is just really slow...
    12-28-08 11:03 AM

Um, you do know that the Blackberry Browser does ajax too? Check my sig for the home page I designed ... 100% ajax implementation (plus some javascript and dhtml). Runs fast too; pretty "usable" if I do say so myself.
    12-28-08 11:44 AM
    I have Verizon Fios internet service 20MB down 20MB up. I use Firefox.

The Storm's browser performance with the update to .85 is almost as fast as when I'm using the browser on my PC.

Every page, no matter which one I go to, is now loading incredibly fast to the point that it feels almost as quick and to the point as when I'm browsing the web on my computer. They've definitely hit the sweet spot with the browser in this update.

Anyone else noticing this incredible performance? For sites I visit very regularly it's pretty much on par with my pc browser.
    How did you get the update?
    12-28-08 12:15 PM
    The browser takes forever to loah the initial page. After that its pretty fast at least with java script off

12-28-08 07:49 PM
    How did you get the update?
    It's all over this section of the forum. You should've seen the thread.

Here it is.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/4-...thread-123560/

Yep Hakoreh, at first it takes a bit -- still much faster than before -- but then it's insanely fast.
    12-28-08 08:12 PM
    don't mean to hijack this thread - but how do click the little remember me boxes in Opera when you want to log in?
    Uhhh, try, try, try again and again? I always get it in the end but many things are hard to click in Opera since you have only one zoom level. Still, opera blows away the lame native browser, even with the interface issues. Mainly that Opera loads faster, displays better.
    12-28-08 09:13 PM
    Hahahaha sorry, but there is NO WAY your phone browser is even close to as fast as your FIOS broadband.
    12-28-08 10:01 PM
    Either he's joking or he has some SERIOUSLY mis-configured laptop/desktops connected to his fios. I mean, a hundred Storms couldn't even fake the throughput of one fios connection, even if they had 0 latency, which is probably the biggest issue with phone-based internet.
    12-28-08 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD