01-31-10 12:08 PM
213 123 ...
tools
    Okay guys, This will be a guide of sorts addressing all the new features, improvements and general changes in the 5.0 firmware, It is primarily for the users questioning an upgrade and users who have recently installed 5.0 so as to avoid repetitive threads of the same sort I.E. "5.0 has 3G instead of 1XEV" ect.

First and foremost, the 1XEV feature has been changed to 3G for all verizon users, rumor has it that this will change for all other providers in the near future as well.

* .323 and up now have reverted back to the 1XEV symbol

3G = 1XEV, there is no difference in signal whatsoever, Verizons descision to change this icon is still a mystery.

Icons update correctly on homescreen in official update 5.0.0.328 (i.e. Weatherbug, Meterberry ect.), this works in default zen theme and custom themes.

Next, Threaded SMS has replaced the old SMS format, Although some of you may not like it or find it kind of odd, trust me, you will get used to it and see the benefits. Some benefits include:

1. Each contact will have their particular sms chat placed under their own name, the general SMS page will only consist of 1 contact name per chat rather than numorous of the same contacts mingled between each other making keeping track of a certain convos difficult.

2. Deleting SMS to conserve memory is as easy as erasing the name in the list rather than cycling through what you want to keep and what you prefer to save.

3. For those of you using BBM, the emoticons list has been added allowing you to save time making a message by merely selecting a particular smiley rather than cycling through symbols to put one together (not a grand benefit, but still helpful)

Moving on, In sound profiles you now have the option to allow the phone to vibrate while it rings, you may also set the length of the vibration and amount of times it vibrates up to 10.

A new input style is available in the "Language and Text Input" section of the options menu, You may now choose a horizontal "Word Completion" type setting or stick with the "Auto Correction" most of you are used to.

A new native "today" feature is included now as well, simply click the BB button in your applications menu, select "options" and then once you are in the "Home Screen Preferences" screen select "today" in the "Set Home Screen Layout" section.

In the Screen/Keyboard section of your options menu there is a new option called "Popup Keys" This is similar to the popup on the iphones keyboard allowing an easier visual of what key you are clicking on.
    *This only exists up to OS .230, It has been removed in .323 .327 and .328

We all probably know that flick-scrolling has been added to all 5.0 firmware .191 and up, I won't say much more than that besides the fact it still needs a little tweaking although working pretty good right now.

UI Transitions, in .140 and .154 the UI transitions are similar to what was being tried out in the 4.7 OS's .151 and .167, The only difference is the 5.0 transitions were exact whereas the 4.7 versions were kind of buggy and not consistent. In later 5.0 versions .191 and up the transitions are exactly the same for the most-part, switching from your homescreen to your application menu does not use this transition though, it uses the old "fade" transition we saw in the original 4.7 OS's.

Color-Banding is pretty much gone, if you look hard you will slightly notice it depending on your device, not all will see this though.

There is an issue with .191 and up where the screen dims randomly, it is a bug that has not yet been addressed by RIM, it may be annoying to some but it is not effecting anything to where the phone does not work.

.191 and up have an issue with the audio in media, when listening to any particular playlist or full cd on your device the second song mutes and must be paused and then unpaused to continue listening, Not sure if this issue was fully addressed in the .238 hybrid yet. All sounds are about 50% louder as well in .191 and up, You will want to set them at between 5 to 7 in order to avoid distortion and a rattling speaker.

OS .140 and .154 DO NOT work with custom themes, there is an issue with audible notifications, To be honest, .154 is a terrible OS in all manners and should be completely avoided. (.191 fixed the audible issue and 99% of custom themes work with OS's .191 and up)

OS 5.0.0.191 DOES NOT HAVE a working camera or camcorder, both of these will automatically reset your device if you try using them. (the issue was addressed in .230 and for 9500 users .216)

There is a major improvement on memory stability on all of the 5.0 firmware in comparison to 4.7

Battery life is hit or miss, I myself have had exceptional battery life but some complain .230 and up decrease it for them. This may depend on running apps, how often you use your device and what you primarily use it for. It will not be the same for any two people.

When you install a theme on 5.0 it automatically recognizes it and asks if you would like to use it in a text bubble immediately after installation, no reboot required.

The applications section of the options menu has been completely revamped, It now includes the default icon next to each 3rd party app. You also have 3 seperate app sections available "3rd Party", "Add-on" and "Core"

OS 5.0.0.140 had tabbed browsing in the BB Browser, this disappeared in all higher 5.0 OS's after, Leading us to believe it was merely being tested and is now being revised for some future OS.

.230 does not play well with some devices, nor does other certain 5.0's, Installation is always at your own risk because every device is different.

In the "Security Options" section of your options menu there is a new "Security Wipe" section, this section allows you to completely remove "Emails, Contacts, ect.", "User Installed Apps", "Media Card" or all three, BE CAREFUL WITH THIS NEW FEATURE!

I am not going to go through working Themes and Apps, there are plenty of other threads that outline these questions. (The best .230 App Compatibility Thread) If I have missed any important improvements, changes or bugs please PM me and I will add them to the list ASAP. This thread will be stickied sometime this evening. Please keep all non-topic convos out of it. This thread was requested by PK.
    Last edited by dankblaze; 10-27-09 at 08:01 PM. Reason: additional info
    10-08-09 03:36 PM
    OK we'll sticky this for a bit until folks get used to 5.0. However I would much rather replace it with a thread outlining the major differences between 5.0 and 4.7, including the 3G thing. So get to work dank!

I deleted a few off topic posts and adjusted the title.
    well here ya go!

Good write up blaze!
    10-08-09 03:46 PM
    Already stickied! I also added some section dividers to give it a cleaner look.
    10-08-09 04:07 PM
    Already stickied! I also added some section dividers to give it a cleaner look.
    Fantastic, I'll be updating this as new leaks surface and/or I recive any PM's stating things I have overlooked. Thanks PK.
    10-08-09 04:10 PM
    will os 5.0 either in the current "leaked" version or the official one to be used as the os for the storm 2 have the capacity to page out applications to sd card or even other internal memory? Obviously, this has been an issue with storm 1 and properly noticed by most storm 1 users. Did RIM get the message for storm 2?

ademon4u
    10-08-09 07:38 PM
    dam u have been dying to get a sticky looks like u got it. Any way folks will still post and not read it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 07:46 PM
    dam u have been dying to get a sticky looks like u got it. Any way folks will still post and not read it.

Actually, I just wanted people to stop making dozens of 3G threads, PK actually requested I just do a whole thread on 5.0 instead so I took care of it after work today
    10-08-09 07:50 PM
    will os 5.0 either in the current "leaked" version or the official one to be used as the os for the storm 2 have the capacity to page out applications to sd card or even other internal memory? Obviously, this has been an issue with storm 1 and properly noticed by most storm 1 users. Did RIM get the message for storm 2?

ademon4u
    If you are referring to installing apps on your MicroSD rather than your onboard memory, I have not seen any definites yet. We will probably have to wait for an official release announcement before we get any solid input on that matter.
    10-08-09 07:51 PM
    1. YOU ARE AWESOME!! thanks! seriously, very useful after even having read 3 hours worth of posts!

2. "A new input style is available in the "Language and Text Input" section of the options menu, You may now choose a horizontal "Word Completion" type setting or stick with the "Auto Correction" most of you are used to."

Where can i find this? i looked everywhere in "language and text input" and cant find it!

thanks!
    10-08-09 08:04 PM
    1. YOU ARE AWESOME!! thanks! seriously, very useful after even having read 3 hours worth of posts!

2. "A new input style is available in the "Language and Text Input" section of the options menu, You may now choose a horizontal "Word Completion" type setting or stick with the "Auto Correction" most of you are used to."

Where can i find this? i looked everywhere in "language and text input" and cant find it!

thanks!
    In "Language and Text Input" you will see a section entitled "Input Style" It will be between "Input Language" and "Keyboard Layout" If you just installed a 5.0 OS it will be set by default to "Word Completion" There is only 2 settings for this, Auto-Correction and Word Completion. Some people have complained that they do not see this particular setting, You may have to be in landscape mode before entering "Language and Text Input" section to see this, Other devices may have to be in Portrait, Try both views and lemme know if you locate it.
    10-08-09 08:24 PM
    It would b nice but the 3G input etc threads will still appear. Folks tend to forgot how to search.

10-08-09 08:33 PM
    It would b nice but the 3G input etc threads will still appear. Folks tend to forgot how to search.

lol, in my personal opinion, you do not belong on this forum if you are too dense to see this thread right on the top of the page
    10-08-09 08:39 PM

ademon4u
    neither now, nor in the near future will any of the blackberries , including the storm 2, have the ability to run apps from anything other than the partitioned "virtual" ram...aka "app memory"....it's mainly due to security from what i'm told.

the storm 2's OS is different than the storm 1's...i'm not sure if you were asking that or not (some punctuation would have helped, lol!)
    10-08-09 09:10 PM
    Thanks for the sticky outline of changes. However, there was no mention of any changes/improvements in device call quality.
    What did you say?
    10-08-09 09:34 PM
    Thanks for the sticky outline of changes. However, there was no mention of any changes/improvements in device call quality.
    What did you say?
    I did not mention device call quality due the fact that leaked OS's work differently on each device. It is impossible to make any more of a claim then what I have noticed on my own phone, this is not benifitting anyone due to it being different for everyone. I mainly outlined the new things that every device will see, whether it be bugs or improvements. I hope that explains.
    10-08-09 10:36 PM
    Thanks for the write up - very helpful and I discovered a few things.

You way want to add there is a known bug when entering phone numbers in the new contacts area - #2 returns letter "e" and #8 also returns an alpha character too - can't remember actual letter. There is a workaround posted on this site which requires changing the settings in Options - Language&Text Input.
    10-08-09 11:39 PM
    You may have to be in landscape mode before entering "Language and Text Input" section to see this,.

that did it thanks!!
    10-09-09 04:47 AM
    that did it thanks!!
    Good to hear, it's strange how that has to be done with only some devices.
    10-09-09 04:56 AM
    I did not mention device call quality due the fact that leaked OS's work differently on each device. It is impossible to make any more of a claim then what I have noticed on my own phone, this is not benifitting anyone due to it being different for everyone. I mainly outlined the new things that every device will see, whether it be bugs or improvements. I hope that explains.
    Thanks for the explanatory addition, yes, now I git it. And hear ya.
    10-09-09 07:21 AM
    is there a link i could down load to my storm on the upgrade 5.0.0.230?
    10-09-09 01:56 PM
    As an airline pilot the best improvement on .230 was that you finally have the option for the phone to auto detect your time zone. The inability of the BB to do this on previous versions is why many pilots wouldn't get it. EVERY OTHER PHONE has done this forever so it was pretty frustrating to have something as sophisticated as a blackberry not be able to do this. They finally figured it out and they better keep it in future OS.
    10-09-09 03:38 PM
    As an airline pilot the best improvement on .230 was that you finally have the option for the phone to auto detect your time zone. The inability of the BB to do this on previous versions is why many pilots wouldn't get it. EVERY OTHER PHONE has done this forever so it was pretty frustrating to have something as sophisticated as a blackberry not be able to do this. They finally figured it out and they better keep it in future OS.
    That's odd...it's always done it for me. Even when I am on GSM in Europe. Even prior to 5.0
    10-09-09 05:30 PM
    That's odd...it's always done it for me. Even when I am on GSM in Europe. Even prior to 5.0

blackberries have never had the "auto update timezone" feature...not until the 5.0 builds...

are you talking about another phone maybe? like a non-berry?
    10-09-09 05:32 PM
    What about improved radio signal, or is that .230 specific ???? I've used .75, .148, .151, .167, and now Im on .230 and I park in a cement parking structure daily. I NEVER had any kind of signal once I got 15 feet into the structure.

This morning on the way to work (first day at work with .230), I was in P1, first level downwards of ground level, and I actually got signal, instead of, "searching for CDMA service". I thought it was a lie, until I actually got a text message in the garage !!!! I was surprised, and rather impressed.

Conclusion: where the phone NEVER worked before (a cement building), I had a bar and got signal.

Don't know if that qualifies.
    10-09-09 06:26 PM
    .230 does not play well with some devices, nor does other certain 5.0's, Installation is always at your own risk because every device is different.
    Ok, that scares the beejeezys out of me, i dont know if its because its bold, or because I just replaced a storm that the screen went blank on. Either way, we are talking about something easily fixed with a wipe, and alternative OS right???

BTW Do all the apps work with this one? Especially Pandora?

thanks for the help, and THANKS FOR THE MASSIVE right up to begin with!
    10-09-09 07:08 PM
213 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD