12-07-13 02:51 AM
103 123 ...
tools
    Many of you know that I've posted a FAQs page for dmglakewood's StormSlider, so I decided to make one for Tafasa's PatternLock (By the request of macnthamost...)

How do I get the keyboard to go away, when there's a keyboard on screen?
    This is most likely due to compatibility mode...turn turn off:
    go to options > advanced options > applications > patternlock > bbmenu > disable compatibility mode

Where do I go to change the options/reset my pattern?

Go to the global BlackBerry options screen (where you change your Screen & Keyboard settings, etc.) and there will be a new item there called PatternLock. Open that to gain access to all your settings and the ability to reset and choose another pattern.

How do I disable PatternLock completely?
    Go to options > PatternLock >
    Set "On Device Startup" to: No
    Set "After backlight turns off" to: Never

I try to pick a background but it says no images found. Where are my pictures?

The "Pick Image" screen is a file explorer. You start off by default in the Pictures folder of your device memory, however you may have no images stored there and only have images stored in, for example, your SD card. Click the up arrow next to "..." to go up a level in the directory structure and move to another folder, or continuously hit the up arrow to go all the way to the root level and enter your SD card folder. If you can't find your SD card, make sure that no other application (including your computer) is currently using your SD card.

I can't see all my BlackBerry Messenger, Facebook, etc. notifications when the screen is locked. Where are they?

PatternLock can only show Email and SMS & MMS notifications. If a way is found to gain access to other application notifications, it may be included in a future (free) update.

PatternLock can't locate me using the location feature, what do I do?

For this feature to work, you need to have BlackBerry Maps installed as this is used by the OS to determine your location. The time taken to determine your location can vary depending on your signal level and location, so please be patient. Verizon currently blocks some GPS features from 3rd party applications, meaning that if you are Verizon customer, PatternLock may be unsuccessful in trying to locate you. Some carriers (including Verizon) don't share cell tower location information, and therefore PatternLock will require a direct line of sight with the sky to be able to get your location. Please make sure Location permissions are set to "Allow" by going to Options > Advanced > Applications > Scroll to PatternLock > Menu > Edit Permissions.

My battery seems to die faster with the location feature turned on, how come?

This is normal because the location feature needs to use your device's GPS. However, there is a setting you can change to improve your battery life. If you choose a longer time period for the "Do not use location data older than" option, this will allow PatternLock to use your last known location without starting up the GPS and finding your current location. The way PatternLock works is that it will grab your last known location from the device and looks at the timestamp. If the timestamp is older than the time that you have set in the options, then it will use the GPS to try to get your current location.

If I have no locations set, will my GPS still be used?

No, PatternLock will function normally without needing the use of your GPS, or previous location data, if you have no locations set.

The screen lights up every time I click it while locked. Can this be turned off?

At the moment, it doesn't seem possible to keep the backlight from turning on when the screen is clicked as the OS handles turning on the backlight before the application is informed of the click event. If a way is found around this, it will be included in a future (free) update.

How do I download an update?

To download, just revisit the download link sent to you when you first purchased the application. If you lost the email, visit the "My Account" page in the store and you should find the link there. If you still see an old version number, click Menu > Refresh when you are on the download screen.

Every time I plug in my device, it unlocks. Is this a problem?

Setting "Disable autolock while charging" will stop the application from locking while charging (whether or not the clock application is set to run while charging) and will automatically unlock the device when plugged in.

Setting "Disable autolock while Clock application is running" will stop the application from autolocking only if the clock application is running (does not depend on charging)

If you want to have it not autolock while charging, but not unlock immediately when plugged in, setup your device to show the clock when charging and set "disable autolock while charging" to No and "disable autolock while clock application is running" to Yes.

You do not need to disable autolock while charging for alarms to sound or other notifications to get through. That feature is just there for those that want the clock to show when they put their device in the cradle or charge it.

Can I use the hardware lock key to launch PatternLock?

Yes, you can use the hardware lock key. If you lock using the top lock key, then there is a small delay in which the default lock will show, and then PatternLock will soon replace it. It can take approximately 3 seconds for PatternLock to engage using the hardware lock key. If you want faster launch times, it is recommended to either use the icon or a convenience key.

I want to use the Emergency Call feature but am afraid of making accidental calls. What should I do?

To place an emergency call, you must first confirm by clicking "Yes" to the prompt that comes up. That means that to place an accidental call, you must accidentally press the call button and the yes button which are both small and in different places on the screen. The buttons were specifically designed to be small the help prevent accidental presses, as well as having "No" be the pre-selected option in the prompt. The likelihood of an accidental call is very small, and you shouldn't need to worry.

I am getting errors or some unexpected behavior, what do I do?

Please make sure all permissions are set to Allow for PatternLock by going to Options > Advanced > Applications > Scroll to PatternLock > Menu > Edit Permissions. After making sure all permissions are set to allow, restart your device by performing a battery pull. If the problems still persist, please contact the Tafasa support email.

Do I have to pay for each upgrade?

All upgrades for PatternLock are free

How to get into your phone if you forgot your pattern for PatternLock?

NOTE: This method only works if you have set PatternLock to disable when charging.

1. Plug your phone into the charger or your computer with a Mini-USB plug.
    2. The clock charging screen pops up.
    3. Press the menu key and then click on close.
    4. Go to Options >> PatternLock >> View Pattern - and then enter your password to retrieve your forgotten pattern.
    5. Unplug the Mini-USB plug and PatternLock should pop back up.
    6. Enter your pattern that you just retrieved.

If you have set up PatternLock to not load on boot then do the following:

1. Pull the battery and put it back in.
    2. Wait for the phone to reboot
    3. Go to Options >> PatternLock >> View Pattern - and then enter your password to retrieve your forgotten pattern.

A last alternative:

1. Plug phone into computer
    2. Open Desktop Manager
    3. Click App loader.
    4. Uninstall PatternLock
    5. Once phone restarts, go to crackberry accout and re-download it.

If you did set it to lock when charging and start-up do or locked the pattern and forget lockcode along with pattern, do this:

1. Plug phone into computer
    2. Open DM
    3. Click App loader.
    4. Uninstall Patterlock
    5. Once phone restarts, go to crackberry accout and re-download it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update History: Took me awhile to put this together, went through ALL 63 pages to gather these updates

Current: VERSION 1.1.8
    ---------------------------------
    - Application lock: You can now specify a list of applications for PatternLock to individually lock. When an application is set to be locked, whenever it is brought to the foreground (or launched), the PatternLock dialog box will appear (this is the same one you see when you use the PatternLock call screen lock appearance). This dialog box will stop the user from being able to interact with the application in any way until they enter the pattern. You can still hit the end key to background the locked application and continue using the device. This is ideal for locking off sections of your phone, such as the options screen, from others.
    - Backup your options to an encrypted file
    - Restore your options from a backup file
    - Minor bug fixes

VERSION 1.1.7
    - Fixes an issue where PatternLock can engage multiple times
    - The ability to pick between using a 12-hour and 24-hour clock
    - The ability to disable autolocking when the camera is running

VERSION 1.1.6.1
    -----------------------------------
    - Added the charging icon to the battery indicator
    - Fixed an issue where QuickLaunch can pop up over PatternLock under certain circumstances
    - Fixes an issue where the call screen lock may still enable even if the number dialed is in the "do not lock" list

VERSION 1.1.6
    - Added the ability to specify numbers for which the call screen lock should not automatically enable. When adding numbers, you can only enter digits (eg. +1 (555) 123-4567 would be added as 15551234567) Please make sure to enter the exact number.
    - Hitting the red end key when in a call and using the "pattern lock" call screen lock appearance will now end the call

VERSION 1.1.5
    - Ability to use a pattern lock as your call screen lock for extra security (this is a new option under the call screen lock appearance). This will show a dialog box with the 9 dots for you to enter your pattern.
    - Ability to turn off the background of the clock bar.
    - Possible fix for an issue where the orientation may sometimes lock in landscape even though it is set to lock in portrait if the device is held in certain ways

VERSION 1.1.4
    - Ability to disable sounds when media player is playing
    - Ability to set PatternLock to always unlock to the Homescreen

- Ability to set locations in which PatternLock should not autolock. To add a location, you must already be in that location and add it through the options. When autolocking, PatternLock will try to get your last known location from the device and if that information isn't within the time period you set in the options, it will try to find your current location (this is a measure to help preserve battery life). It will not autolock if you are within your set distance from a location you have added to the list. If the device does not provide location info, or the location info is old due to you being out of service or unable to get a GPS location fix, this feature will be ignored. For this feature to work, you need to have BlackBerry Maps installed as this is used by the OS to determine your location. The time taken to determine your location can vary depending on your signal level and location, so please be patient.

PLEASE NOTE: Verizon currently blocks some GPS features from 3rd party applications, meaning that if you are Verizon customer, PatternLock may be unsuccessful in trying to locate you. Some carriers (including Verizon) don't share cell tower location information, and therefore PatternLock will require a direct line of sight with the sky to be able to get your location.

PLEASE MAKE SURE LOCATION PERMISSIONS ARE SET TO ALLOW IF YOU INTEND TO USE THIS FEATURE!

VERSION 1.1.3
    --------------------------------
    - Fixed an issue where the text in the Call Screen Lock was selectable making it possible for your cheek to select it during a call
    - Added the option of having the PatternLock icon show up instead of a message for the Call Screen Lock
    - Added a new option to specify applications that, when running, PatternLock should not autolock. There is an "Edit List" button in the options screen which will list all third party applications installed on your device. Check the applications you wish to keep PatternLock from autolocking, and click OK and save your options.
    - Added an "Off" option for the colors of the dots, dot highlight, path, incorrect path and correct path which will completely hide the respective element
    - Changed SMS & MMS notification icon to a slanted envelope to better match the default BlackBerry behavior and reduce confusion thinking you have a missed call

VERSION 1.1.2
    - Ability to turn on a quick vibration when unlocking and when a failed unlock attempt is entered. Default to off for both.
    - Ability to show the time remaining when the device is locked out. This is defaulted to off. When on, a count down timer will show next to the words "Locked Out"

VERSION 1.1.1.1
    - Fixes an issue where under certain circumstances you can bypass the PatternLock using the emergency call feature

VERSION 1.1.1
    - Emergency Call Button: You can now enable an emergency call button from the options, and specify your emergency number. When enabled, a small emergency call button will appear in the lower right of the lock screen. When clicked, it will ask you to confirm whether you want to make the emergency call and if confirmed, the call will be made. The phone will remain locked throughout the call, although you may see momentary flickers of the phone application.

VERSION 1.1.0
    - Ability to turn on notification icons for email and SMS & MMS. These are defaulted to off in the options screen. Turning these on will show you how many notifications you missed while the device was locked. Unlocking and relocking will reset the count (PatternLock will only listen for notifications while the device is locked to conserve battery). If there are email notifications, an envelope icon with a counter will show. If there are SMS & MMS notifications, an icon that looks like a phone next to an envelope will show with a counter.

VERSION 1.0.9
    - Ability to assign PatternLock to the lock key: This option can only be used by devices that do not have a password enabled using the BlackBerry built-in security system. Locking using the lock key is slower than launching it directly using a convenience key. You will see the built-in lock screen appear momentarily and then it will be replaced by PatternLock. It is still recommended to assign PatternLock to a convenience key or to depend on the autolock system for shortest launch time.

VERSION 1.0.8.1
    - New icon
    - Arrows now follow the colors set in the options. Initially they will be the dot color, and then they will change to the correct and incorrect path color depending on the pattern entered.

VERSION 1.0.8
    - Added the ability to set the lock screen orientation to "Both" or "Portrait Only"
    - Some organization changes to the options screen to make it more readable

VERSION 1.0.7.1
    ----------------------------------
    - Fixed a bug that could keep the call screen lock from automatically closing at the end of a call
    - Added the ability to hide or show the dot tray (the rectangle behind the dots)
    - Added the ability to specify a custom pattern entry message instead of "Enter Secret Pattern"

VERSION 1.0.7
    - Ability to use a dot more than once in a pattern
    - Small arrows will show up in the pattern pointing from one dot to the next. These can be turned off in the options.

VERSION 1.0.6.1
    - Ability to change the color of the dot highlight (circle around dot), the pattern path, the incorrect pattern path and the correct pattern path
    - Option to re-enable the call screen lock when the backlight turns off. Default is set to no.

VERSION 1.0.6
    - Password protect pattern has been changed to password protect options. It will behave as it did before, however if you have a password set, you must enter it to save any changes in your options. This will prevent others from changing your options.
    - Added the option to select the dot color when locked. White is still the default color, but now you can also choose from Black, Blue, Red, Green and Yellow.

VERSION 1.0.5.4
    - Ability to lock device upon holstering. Option set to no by default.
    - Bug fix related to the "immediately turn backlight off" option

VERSION 1.0.5.3
    - Ability to choose to allow voice dialing while PatternLock is enabled. This option is set to no by default. This has been added to accommodate those who use headsets and wish to voice dial.

VERSION 1.0.5.2
    - Added a counter in the options screen to tell you how many times your device has been "Locked Out"
    - Stopped PatternLock from being able to open when a call is in progress. This is to accommodate for those who assign it to a convenience key and accidently click the button mid-call.
    - Added the ability to turn the backlight off immediately when the lock enables. This is disabled by default.

VERSION 1.0.5.1
    - Some graphical improvements
    - Added the ability to enable a sound when an incorrect pattern is entered. This is disabled by default and will not sound if your profile is currently vibrate, alerts off or silent.
    - Another attempt at getting sounds working for users using the 4.7.0.75 OS

VERSION 1.0.5
    - Ability to pick a background to be used when in landscape
    - Ability to turn off the display of lines when inputting your pattern (the circles will still show around the dots you have touched)
    - Ability to disable autolocking while media is running
    - Lock screen performance improvements
    - Bug fixes

VERSION 1.0.4.2
    - Improved battery life
    - Ability to set a custom call screen lock message

VERSION 1.0.4.1
    ----------------------------------
    - The call screen lock will now activate while a call is initiating and won't wait for the call to connect. This means that if you are making the call, you won't have to wait for the person to pick up before the call screen lock timer begins. The timer starts once you begin your call. If you are receiving a call, it will function the same as before.
    - When the call screen lock is set to auto enable, the backlight will turn off right away when the screen lock activates
    - While in a call, a new menu item will appear when you click on the BlackBerry menu key called "Lock Screen". This will allow you to re-lock your screen using the PatternLock call screen lock.
    Last edited by DriftDevil; 06-05-09 at 11:31 PM.
    04-24-09 10:10 PM
    edited...10char
    04-24-09 11:06 PM
    very nice! just what is needed!
    04-25-09 04:05 AM
    Ahem... That's my "forgot pattern" techniques up

Nevertheless, very very slick FAQ. I wish there was one of these for all applications
    04-25-09 08:18 AM
    Lol ya if I knew some others to put up ill add a faqs page lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 09:49 AM
    I forgot how to turn the app off completely.
    04-26-09 09:36 PM
    I forgot how to turn the app off completely.
    I THINK (not sure tho) options > PatternLock Options > AutoLock > After backlight turns off > Never..... > on device startup > no
    04-26-09 09:41 PM
    I THINK (not sure tho) options > PatternLock Options > AutoLock > After backlight turns off > Never..... > on device startup > no
    Yup that worked. You may want to put this on your faq op.
    04-26-09 09:44 PM
    Yup that worked. You may want to put this on your faq op.
    good idea, haha
    04-26-09 09:49 PM
    updated version info
    04-29-09 06:13 PM
    edited...10char
    04-29-09 06:27 PM
    Anyone having problems with the "always unlock to homescreen" feature? It doesn't seem to work for me.

04-29-09 07:25 PM
    Anyone having problems with the "always unlock to homescreen" feature? It doesn't seem to work for me.

One other user reported this. They uninstalled PatternLock, restarted, installed PatternLock, restarted and that seemed to have solved the issue for them. Maybe you can try the same.

Also, just to make sure, when you say it isn't working, do you mean when you unlock it remains in the same application that you locked it in instead of going to the homescreen/applications screen?
    04-29-09 07:28 PM
    I will try that and yes, you correctly described my problem.

04-29-09 07:59 PM
    Ok...weird situation. If I use the default patternlock wallpaper the "unlock to homescreen" feature works. If I use a custom image the feature doesn't work.

Edit... It seems to be working properly. After a 4th or 5th reset.. I lost count. Your app is still amazing!

Last edited by gafly; 04-29-09 at 08:46 PM.
    04-29-09 08:36 PM
    Ok...weird situation. If I use the default patternlock wallpaper the "unlock to homescreen" feature works. If I use a custom image the feature doesn't work.

That is really strange. I use a custom image, and I believe so does everyone who tested the application. Have you tried the uninstall/reinstall process?
    04-29-09 08:41 PM
    That is really strange. I use a custom image, and I believe so does everyone who tested the application. Have you tried the uninstall/reinstall process?
    Here's what I did...
    1) Uninstall (it reset automatically)
    2) I reset the phone
    3) Downloaded Patt. Lock
    4) Reset
    5) Set Patt Lock
    6) Reset
    7) Tested homescreen feature with custom wallpaper (feature failed)
    8) decided to change each setting in Patt lock (one at a time) to find out if one of the options was causing the error...the wallpaper, of course, was the first option I came to and setting it to the default wallpaper fixed the issue.
    9) Changed the wallpaper back to custom image and the problem reappeared
    10) reset the storm again and the feature worked with the custom image.
    04-29-09 09:12 PM
    Here's what I did...
    1) Uninstall (it reset automatically)
    2) I reset the phone
    3) Downloaded Patt. Lock
    4) Reset
    5) Set Patt Lock
    6) Reset
    7) Tested homescreen feature with custom wallpaper (feature failed)
    8) decided to change each setting in Patt lock (one at a time) to find out if one of the options was causing the error...the wallpaper, of course, was the first option I came to and setting it to the default wallpaper fixed the issue.
    9) Changed the wallpaper back to custom image and the problem reappeared
    10) reset the storm again and the feature worked with the custom image.
    So is it working as it should now?
    04-29-09 09:13 PM
    So is it working as it should now?
    Yep!

filler...
    04-30-09 08:42 AM
    is there a free version of patternlock???
    04-30-09 02:47 PM
    updated update history
    05-02-09 04:36 PM
    updated version
    05-03-09 10:21 PM
    Hi im kind of annoyed because I bought the app from app world and i realized it only gave me version 1.1.2.0 and i really would love the newest version. Is there any way that I could get a free download link to an updated version. Im having some problems with this build. Thanks
    05-03-09 10:36 PM
    1) try going into my world and n c if u can upgrade
    2) try pm'ing tafasa, he'll prob help u out
    05-03-09 10:40 PM
    I tried both but tafasa said to wait a few days and app world doesnt have it yet....I just really am having some issues with it especially with the notifications and i see its all been fixed. Is there any other way?
    05-03-09 10:42 PM
103 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD