Anyone know if RIM plans to add flac support? Would be nice as my music library is 100% flac.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 08:00 AM
    just curious, but how did you get all those tracks into flac in the first place?

And you could always use this <snip> was spam sorry, bound to be something on google though
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-05-09 at 08:59 AM.
    01-05-09 08:20 AM
    FLAC is open source and available on Source forge. There is a front end GUI. Most of mine were ripped from CD using Exact Audio Copy then encoded to FLAC level 8. This is the best way to preserve music in a lossless format (NO DRM).
    01-05-09 10:05 AM
    The reason I ask is some people are silly enough to re-encode MP3's to FLAC which would of course be pointless.
    01-05-09 10:10 AM
    I ripped all my CDs to FLAC using EAC(170GB). I have a duplicate copy of the FLAC audio tree in MP3(34GB) I re-encoded using dbPowerAMP.

Personally, I think FLAC audio files are too large to put on an MP3 type player. Plus playing in my car or on audio headphones I hardly notice the difference.
    01-05-09 02:33 PM
    Personally, I think FLAC audio files are too large to put on an MP3 type player. Plus playing in my car or on audio headphones I hardly notice the difference.
    With noise canceling ear plugs/head phones and cheap/deep storage I would love to have an option for non-proprietary(ie apple) lossless on portable audio devices.

I have to maintain 2 libraries now, one for my Squeezebox (flac) and one for portable (mp3). Foobar2000 does a nice job converting everything though.

Also, I travel allot and would appreciate quality vs. quantity. A bit off topic but the Sandisk Sansa just added support for FLAC.
    Last edited by cgull; 01-05-09 at 05:39 PM.
    01-05-09 05:34 PM
    I record music (mostly live performances) and compress to FLAC. As the person who made the recordings, I know "exactly" what they "should" sound like (MP3 - in any bitrate - SUCKS).

I refuse to (and should not be expected to) sacrifice quality in exchange for quantity when listening to my music (or, more importantly, playing back for a client). I currently store several performances at a time (more than I can play back on a single charge) in PCM WAV on an 8GB card.

Nonetheless; I, too, demand FLAC playback from RIM. I see no reason why such a complex and "powerful" device cannot play back the "fastest and most widely supported lossless audio codec". What gives, RIM?
    Last edited by crackberry_jones; 05-31-09 at 01:04 PM.
    05-31-09 12:55 PM
    I feed FLAC to my home source(Transporter), but for the Storm? Not worth it IMO. I've used ipods with various portable amps with full sized cans as well as the ety's and Shure E500's. My ear can't hear the difference on portables even with a setup like that. Nope...no flac for portable gear and that's true for the Storm as well I suspect. For portables, I use Max to encode to AAC 224(found that to be a nice balance between sonics and file size). JMO and experience.
    05-31-09 01:10 PM
    I will throw myself in here aswell, RIM make your phones support Flac files please...
    So many of us have our CD collections in Flac as Crackberry_jones said i also refuse to sacrifice quality in my music.
    06-16-09 07:13 AM
    I agree with FLAC support. I trade alot of live shows, and majority of my shows are in FLAC. As a musician, I encode my live shows to FLAC from WAV.

To throw in 2 more cents lol, i would really love away to stream from archive.org so i can have any Dead show I want at my crazy finger tips!
    06-16-09 08:11 AM
    we will never see flac support on this device..
    06-16-09 08:29 AM
    1. lossless codecs are very battery-intensive on portable devices

2. the DACs on portable devices (iPod specific, but similar with smartphones) are not very good therefore greatly reducing the ability to discern the difference with anything better than a 192 mp3

3 There are plenty of quality devices available that support FLAC. Buy one and enjoy.
    06-16-09 10:08 AM
    1. lossless codecs are very battery-intensive on portable devices

2. the DACs on portable devices (iPod specific, but similar with smartphones) are not very good therefore greatly reducing the ability to discern the difference with anything better than a 192 mp3

3 There are plenty of quality devices available that support FLAC. Buy one and enjoy.
    There's almost no point to have lossless support on a mobile.
    No mobiles can actually reproduce the original sound.
    Does anybody honestly believe they can tell a damn difference between, say, 320kbps VBR AAC (you can always get higher) and FLAC on a bb and portable headset?
    Plus for most people even mp3s are good enough while walking on the street or sitting in a car/train, let alone AACs.

Sure you can always prove me wrong by sitting at home playing with your high-end headphones. The problem is most people don't have one of those, and even if they do, do they really need a bb rather than something that can actually match your headphones?
    06-16-09 11:07 AM
    There's almost no point to have lossless support on a mobile.
    No mobiles can actually reproduce the original sound.
    Does anybody honestly believe they can tell a damn difference between, say, 320kbps VBR AAC (you can always get higher) and FLAC on a bb and portable headset?
    Plus for most people even mp3s are good enough while walking on the street or sitting in a car/train, let alone AACs.

Sure you can always prove me wrong by sitting at home playing with your high-end headphones. The problem is most people don't have one of those, and even if they do, do they really need a bb rather than something that can actually match your headphones?
    For one, I can hear the difference. I have a really well trained ear being a musician and studying sound engineering and recording for years.

also, I think the point the original poster was making is that all their files are in that format, why spend time encoding instead of pulling them off his computer as is.

I know I suffer with this alot myself. my xbox wont reconize FLAC flies, so it has become a pain to listen to the literally 1000's of hours of live music I have.

I really wonder why entertainment software will limit themselves to certain file types instead of accepting all, especially wide used open source file types.

But you are right, you will not see support for FLAC on BB. Rather see Flash support anyhoots before FLAC but you wont see that either since BB works in Java, and doesnt support Flash well at all.
    Last edited by rj5570; 06-16-09 at 11:17 AM.
    06-16-09 11:14 AM
    yes...i have over 1.5 TB stored

If possible, I would like to see them support flac
    06-16-09 12:50 PM
    500GB of flacs here. It's annoying to have to schlep an iRiver lplayer that has the same capacity as my BB just because I want to store my music in flac format...and there are a lot of "mp3" players that support open source formats now. The goal is to let the user decide, not limit them. 'cmon RIM, get with the program!
    06-17-09 04:38 PM
    The goal is to let the user decide, not limit them. 'cmon RIM, get with the program!
    Amen! Coming from a device that prides itself on all of what it can do, why give up on something so seemingly simple? Who cares about battery life? That's up to whoever decides to use it.

The logic here is faulty.. Since you can't hear the difference, who cares, right? Well, since I don't use the calendar or docs2go, why even have them to begin with?

Create windows/doors for users to use freely, don't limit them because "it's easy to do it this way..."

I'd think that any product with as much competition as there is in this market would enable it's users to do anything they want. It's pretty simple and well worth the time/money invested.

Now I'm just blabbering...
    07-14-09 11:38 AM
    why can't someone develop software for it??????
    02-04-10 10:45 PM
    Anyone know if RIM plans to add flac support? Would be nice as my music library is 100% flac.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes my blackberry 8900 plays FLAC very well and smoothly. It did not play FLAC when I received it in OS 4.6, but I did upgrade on OS 5.0.0.1004 and now FLAC are recognized exactly like other format. That's great. No need to convert music again.
    the_sleuth likes this.
    06-09-10 05:09 PM
    I don't mind converting to mp3 at 320kbps for what I want on my phone. I would love to see someone develop an app to stream archive.org though
    06-11-10 12:00 PM
    Interesting thread:

>we will never see flac support on this device..

Bold 9700 supports it now on OS6 although it appears undocumented! I just tried it and it works!

> There's almost no point to have lossless support on a mobile.
    > No mobiles can actually reproduce the original sound.

Second point is correct. Nothing can reproduce the original sound, only your ears can. So best thing is to fly out to the recording studio.

First point is totally incorrect, people have libraries of 1000's of songs that can play on many devices (not just mobiles). The user does not support the mobile phone, it's the mobile phone that should support the user (who would rather not spend all day converting files).

Still these points were made a long time ago - Blackberry supports FLAC! - yey!
    06-20-11 10:03 PM
    Backpeddle! - Flac plays back great if you manually copy over the file to your card. Blackberry Desktop sync shows the flac files BUT WILL NOT DOWNLOAD via BB stating "unsupported format" - this is most strange..!!!
    the_sleuth likes this.
    07-03-11 05:06 PM
    Backpeddle! - Flac plays back great if you manually copy over the file to your card. Blackberry Desktop sync shows the flac files BUT WILL NOT DOWNLOAD via BB stating "unsupported format" - this is most strange..!!!
    Sure sign of poor software design.

I wonder if it will play ALAC from my iTunes catalogue? I am using 5.0.0.1041, I have to investigate.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 07-09-11 at 10:38 AM.
    07-09-11 10:36 AM
    5xxx.1041 will not play FLAC nor ALAC on my native music app.
    07-09-11 11:14 AM
    9900 (OS7) supports FLAC natively. APE is not supported yet, still need to convert to flac zzz...
    Last edited by iieeann; 08-30-11 at 12:19 PM.
    08-30-11 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD