BB10 is now officially dead, and the handset business will soon follow when this Android plan blows up in Chen's face because he can't compete on the hardware or the pricing. Android was a toy to all here before, but now won't be because it has the name BlackBerry on the device.

Posted via Z30
    Life is full of surprises, so let's all be patient and see how the dice rolls in the near future.
    09-15-15 05:07 PM
    I'm not sure I would describe the potential of the Android Slider failing as something "blowing up in Chen's face". I think everyone acknowledges, including Chen, that this is a hail Mary, last ditch effort to save the device business.

As a matter of fact I think Chen said to the device division, "ok guys, you have one more shot at this - do what you think you must ".

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    You must be clairvoyant.
    09-15-15 05:10 PM
    There's no denying it now!
    09-15-15 05:10 PM
    The questions for me are....

how will BlackBerry running on Android really be executed/implemented?

Will all the familiar BB10 features simulated on it? Hub, swiping, etc.

And will the BlackBerry Suites (I've heard so much about) be available as a standalone app that can be loaded to a non-BB Android phone?

Heck would those Suites become available on iOS?

And how quickly will the Android OS be updated compared to the fast updates to Nexus or Moto X Pure Ed phones? (this one might take awhile to reveal themselves).

And how will it compare to the upcoming Blackphone 2 in terms of security?

I won't get this Slider blindly. There are legit competitors, as if.....
    09-15-15 05:30 PM
    That's funny. I'm responding with BlackBerry 10.
    09-15-15 05:33 PM
    So if any of you follow what I say on other threads you will know I basicly confirmed the "slider" without confirming it directly. I'll say this, the internal document is gone from searching, and what I didn't say is I have taken pics of the info + the renders(most haven't been leaked). I'll be posting those up on the 23rd. *wink wink nudge nudge*...
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-15-15 05:55 PM
    I'm hoping BB10 is not "officially" dead.
    You've been around these forums longer than I have, so I pay attention to your thoughts. You've seen the good and the bad on this roller coaster ride lol.
    Just hoping I see at least one more generation of BB10 devices.

Not riding that full Android BlackBerry boat myself, but to each his own.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    I'm not riding the BlackBerry Android boat either. I'm getting off before they hit the iceberg and totally for the hardware leaving everyone in the lurch. Time to move to an ecosystem that developers respect and make money in that isn't on race to the bottom hardware with an extremely healthy company behind it. I don't want to leave, really like BB10, but I watched Palm circle the drain before jumping to BlackBerry and watching them go down the drain. BlackBerry's hardware business is at that identical point staying with them hoping for miracle with inept leadership answerable to a mega investor who is just trying to recoup his money at all costs.

Posted via Z30
    09-15-15 05:58 PM
    dc2000: What's your take on the apparent lack of FCC approval?
    09-15-15 06:01 PM
    Can't answer that.. idk. Only have info from the carrier internal leak. They can go through the FCC and have everything ready within a week, pretty sure it's been done before.

We may see a Canadian-first release, also unlike previous models I'm lead to believe we'll only see one version up here in the great white north. But, I don't know 100% who has what when it comes to bands/freq. nor do I care, but based on what this thing has, it's more bands than I usually see.
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    09-15-15 06:06 PM
    It means nothing.

Posted via CB10
    jope28, mrfreeze and 00stryder like this.
    09-15-15 06:07 PM
    So if any of you follow what I say on other threads you will know I basicly confirmed the "slider" without confirming it directly. I'll say this, the internal document is gone from searching, and what I didn't say is I have taken pics of the info + the renders(most haven't been leaked). I'll be posting those up on the 23rd. *wink wink nudge nudge*...
    We will all hold you to your word.
    09-15-15 07:38 PM
    That's a great catch. I looked at the slider under the BlackBerry Hub this morning but I haven't had a chance to check back until now. The plot thickens....

Posted via CB10
    More like "the plot sickens."

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2239
    anon(1852343) and FF22 like this.
    09-15-15 08:32 PM
    What's all the fuss about really? CB10 doesn't show any new/different format to the forum sections?

For a second there I thought you meant it was all being moved to Android Central. That would have been weird for sure. And while I'm asking questions: if they are indeed creating a new BlackBerry Android segment here, how exactly would that not be considered breaking a supposed embargo?

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed | BB Social → C0007CC89
    09-15-15 08:56 PM
    What's all the fuss about really? CB10 doesn't show any new/different format to the forum sections?

For a second there I thought you meant it was all being moved to Android Central. That would have been weird for sure. And while I'm asking questions: if they are indeed creating a new BlackBerry Android segment here, how exactly would that not be considered breaking a supposed embargo?

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed | BB Social → C0007CC89
    They're just "cleaning up the organisation of the site" or something like that...it gives an excuse, and a way to confirm without confirming.
    09-15-15 09:13 PM
    BB10 is now officially dead, and the handset business will soon follow when this Android plan blows up in Chen's face because he can't compete on the hardware or the pricing. Android was a toy to all here before, but now won't be because it has the name BlackBerry on the device.

Posted via Z30
    Lets see if they include the "business" features like hub, and get rid of the "kid's toy" overall look of lolipop. If they manage to make a "bb10 by Android" it might not be that bad... Not sure about security thought...

Android always has been the least favourite OS in the Mobile industry for me, but I'll give a go to a Android with some Blackberry mods.
    09-15-15 09:30 PM
    Lets see if they include the "business" features like hub, and get rid of the "kid's toy" overall look of lolipop. If they manage to make a "bb10 by Android" it might not be that bad... Not sure about security thought...

Android always has been the least favourite OS in the Mobile industry for me, but I'll give a go to a Android with some Blackberry mods.
    Trouble is that the more they customize it, the more problems they'll have patching security issues in a timely manner. A vanilla implementation of Android may actually be the best-case scenario for security. That way, they can just throw in their device drivers and send the OS for approval to carriers as soon as Google releases an update.

Combined with the additional investment that it would require BlackBerry to make, I'm not expecting the customization to go much further than preloading the BlackBerry Experience Suite. But that's just pure speculation on my part.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-15-15 09:56 PM

Its stock Android (UX at least) - nothing else has been seen in the leaks - which makes perfect sense - Chen wants to cut costs to bone so why blow money on that when it already exists and is provided.

That loud quacking sound is a duck however much people want it to be a bear.
    09-16-15 01:53 AM
    I LOVE this move by CB. It's such a nice way to picture the relationship between Android and BlackBerry.

From running Android apps on BB10 to full Android on a BlackBerry there should always have been this mental division.

We could have spared ourselves a lot of complaints about non-working apps and all the hue and cry that came with the rumours about the Slider being "an Android."

There has been and always will be a BlackBerry at the core. Android is just running on top of that.

For those of us with a strong preference for BB10, this should create a quiet breathing room to enjoy the unique platform BlackBerry created.
    09-16-15 02:30 AM
    Woohoo! At least now we have space to appreciate the device and also to air questions when the device actually arrive - without input from the "true BlackBerry loyalist"

No more "if it's Android, I'm not interested" posts in this space set aside (as some of them had called for)
    No reason for them to visit "Android on BlackBerry" when they are not interested in the device
    Last edited by Jasper-Ng; 09-16-15 at 02:54 AM.
    09-16-15 02:36 AM
    The one with the hypervisor and QNX kernel with Android on top. That one.

Posted via CB10
    Are the Tizen and WebOS Runtimes included???

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 02:57 AM
    This slider is I assume a Blackberry phone? and this site is for all Blackberry phones then there should be a forum here.
    09-16-15 03:17 AM
    I've already got one, but I'm not allowed to talk about it

Posted via CB4
    09-16-15 06:16 AM
    I never had a problem with Android itself. It was Google and their requirements that I didn't like. For example, you had to have a Gmail account to set up an android phone. I simply refuse to have one. Whether I'd actually use one or not wasn't the point to me. I saw it as a numbers grab for them ("look how many Gmail users we have") that I simply didn't want to encourage and be a part of it.

I do have a Google account that I started way back before Gmail became a thing, and the idea that I couldn't use that in an android phone setup was a problem for me.

Now, that was a few years ago, and I don't know if that has since changed, but I'd hope the the BlackBerry implementation is different. Yes, there still may, and should, be a BlackBerry ID requirement, but I can still use an email address of my choice.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 06:50 AM
    I've already got one, but I'm not allowed to talk about it

Posted via CB4
    Dream on

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 07:07 AM
    Woohoo! At least now we have space to appreciate the device and also to air questions when the device actually arrive - without input from the "true BlackBerry loyalist"

No more "if it's Android, I'm not interested" posts in this space set aside (as some of them had called for)
    No reason for them to visit "Android on BlackBerry" when they are not interested in the device
    Yeah I'm not a crazy blackberry fan or anything. I only owned a passport for about a month and before that I had a curve but it sure does bother me when I hear people say they rather see blackberry dead than see it running Android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-16-15 08:12 AM
72 123