I have had my moments, as many here will attest, but thanks!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Glad you edited that! What you wear while being a desktop warrior is none of my business, though I'm sure you look cute.
    04-16-19 08:32 PM
    351 posts and this thread hadn’t been closed.
    04-16-19 09:00 PM
    The soft bigotry of low expectations

04-16-19 09:57 PM
    Maybe it will be moved to the rehab area.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-17-19 04:33 AM
    Seeing your logo...it should be closed.... FCN rules!! (Just joking...)!
    04-17-19 06:09 AM
    I have owned, moderated and been a user on numerous forums over the past 20 or so years. So I have a little background on how they operate and the challenges associated with operating a public forum. The spam, the brave keyboard attackers, etc etc.

Yesterday a thread was closed. Someone had actually responded to a thread which had not had any activity for 2-3 years. WHY?? Someone had actually found a thread of interest and taken the time to reply. I received an email since I was quoted in the reply. I went to try and update/reply ..... but the thread was closed.

There are probably 1000's of threads here that have not had a reply in 2 or more years ...... but if someone replies that's a reason to close???

The poster who replied was a new user ...... it was his first post. What a greeting!!! You are welcome to register but if you pick the wrong thread to post on we'll close it. Welcome to CB!!!

A couple of years ago I posted a BB device for sale in classifieds. After no activity on the thread for a week or so the moderator closed or deleted the thread. WHY!!! There is no rhyme or reason. An item is listed ..... done. Sure if u need to update the item description, price ..... u update. If there is no need to update, you leave it alone. If u choose u can bump twice a day to keep it at the top. But, to just make up random rules and lock/close/delete listing??? Why have a classifieds area if its going to be operated this way??

I know there are valid reasons to close/lock/delte threads. If not chaos can exist a forum can be destroyed ..... I've seen it happen.

But, in the 2 instances I've mentioned above ..... there was no reasonable benefit to CB for these threads to have been locked/closed. IMO ...... these unwarranted moderator actions have a negative impact on CB.

For me ....... I personally use this entire CB forum area far less and will never post another classified listing here. Why would I??? Kinda pointless with moderators making up their own over zealous rules.

I have no data to back this up but it "appears" to me that there is far less traffic here over the past several years. I base this on the number/frequency of threads/posts in the areas that I visit.

I realize that a lot has changed with BB, their OS (now predominantly Android), their devices (now TCL/bbM), etc. Many have moved on as a result of BB.

Due to my personal experience here, I have to wonder how much over zealous moderators have caused a loss of traffic and use here at CB. I really don't know the magnitude .... all I know is it has affected me. And, I can only think that I am not the only one.

----- I wonder if this thread will be closed/locked since I am responding to a thread which has not had any activity in a month.
    ----- BTW ...... What is the rule this week?? Does the thread have to be older than 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years before it's closed if someone takes the time to reply??? (For what it's worth, I have threads that have been up on other Web sites for over 10 years and they are not closed and still occasionally get replies/posts.)
    Last edited by duckduke; 05-19-19 at 10:16 AM.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-19-19 10:02 AM
    I have owned, moderated and been a user on numerous forums over the past 20 or so years. So I have a little background on how they operate and the challenges associated with operating a public forum. The spam, the brave keyboard attackers, etc etc.

Yesterday a thread was closed. Someone had actually responded to a thread which had not had any activity for 2-3 years. WHY?? Someone had actually found a thread of interest and taken the time to reply. I received an email since I was quoted in the reply. I went to try and update/reply ..... but the thread was closed.

There are probably 1000's of threads here that have not had a reply in 2 or more years ...... but if someone replies that's a reason to close???

The poster who replied was a new user ...... it was his first post. What a greeting!!! You are welcome to register but if you pick the wrong thread to post on we'll close it. Welcome to CB!!!

A couple of years ago I posted a BB device for sale in classifieds. After no activity on the thread for a week or so the moderator closed or deleted the thread. WHY!!! There is no rhyme or reason. An item is listed ..... done. Sure if u need to update the item description, price ..... u update. If there is no need to update, you leave it alone. If u choose u can bump twice a day to keep it at the top. But, to just make up random rules and lock/close/delete listing??? Why have a classifieds area if its going to be operated this way??

I know there are valid reasons to close/lock/delte threads. If not chaos can exist a forum can be destroyed ..... I've seen it happen.

But, in the 2 instances I've mentioned above ..... there was no reasonable benefit to CB for these threads to have been locked/closed. IMO ...... these unwarranted moderator actions have a negative impact on CB.

For me ....... I personally use this entire CB forum area far less and will never post another classified listing here. Why would I??? Kinda pointless with moderators making up their own over zealous rules.

I have no data to back this up but it "appears" to me that there is far less traffic here over the past several years. I base this on the number/frequency of threads/posts in the areas that I visit.

I realize that a lot has changed with BB, their OS (now predominantly Android), their devices (now TCL/bbM), etc. Many have moved on as a result of BB.

Due to my personal experience here, I have to wonder how much over zealous moderators have caused a loss of traffic and use here at CB. I really don't know the magnitude .... all I know is it has affected me. And, I can only think that I am not the only one.
    Reactivating a 2 or 3 year old thread can also spread misinformation by bringing up conditions or situations that may no longer exist. It is simply better to start a new, fresh, up-to-date thread.

As far as classifieds are concerned, there is a strict policy on form and structure. If it is not correct, or the thread appears dead, it will get deleted, or so I gather.

If you feel something happened in error, simply PM the mod, and they would be more than happy to re-evaulate or provide further information.
    Last edited by conite; 05-19-19 at 10:23 AM.
    TgeekB and BigBadWulf like this.
    05-19-19 10:12 AM
    Reactivating a 2 or 3 year old thread can also spread misinformation by bringing up conditions or situations that may no longer exist. It is simply better to start a new, fresh, up-to-date thread.

As far as classifieds are concerned, there is a strict policy on form and structure. If it not correct, or the thread appears dead, it will get deleted, or so I gather.

If you feel something happened in error, simply PM the mod, and they would be more than happy to re-evaulate or provide further information.
    Unfortunately it does not help dear Conite. You are really helpful here. You, Conite, Thurask...But some other moderators are not.

I am curious to know if the request of the new member was edited by a moderator in a new thread or simply closed. I hope it is not the case.
    05-19-19 10:21 AM

As far as classifieds are concerned, there is a strict policy on form and structure. If it not correct, or the thread appears dead, it will get deleted, or so I gather.
    When my classified was deleted ..... There were dozens upon dozens (possibly) of pages of classifieds older than mine that were still active. I did PM the moderator ..... And was obviously monitoring my entry. I pointed out the pages of listings older than mine with no activity. But because I didn't bump or reply enough to satisfy the "moderator" he deleted ......... I'm talking about just a week or so with no posts/replies/bumps. While all the others older entries than mine were there I in plain few.
    Last edited by duckduke; 05-19-19 at 10:51 AM.
    05-19-19 10:28 AM
    When my classified was deleted ..... There were dozens upon dozens (possibly) to pages of classifieds older than mine that were still active. I did PM the moderator ..... And was obviously monitoring my entry. I pointed out the pages of listings older than mine with no activity. But because I didn't bump or reply enough to satisfy the "moderator" he deleted ......... I'm talking about just a week or so with no posts/replies/bumps. While all the others older entries than mine were there I in plain few.
    So was your classified ad reinstated upon request?
    Last edited by conite; 05-19-19 at 10:45 AM.
    05-19-19 10:29 AM
    The closed thread is titled At&t super suxs!!!

So the new user responded/replied to me yesterday. I tried to respond but the moderator closed the thread.

So as u suggest above. I started a new thread (At&t super suxs!!!! - part 2) and I included a quote from the new users post in the old thread in my new thread so he would be notified and see it.

I just posted the new thread in the last hour or 2 ........... And the thread is ALREADY LOCKED/CLOSED.

I updated my subject letting everyone know about my subsequent moves to Tmobile and then in January to Verizon.

So your suggestion is not very helpful.

I guess before long u and the moderators can spend the day locking each other's threads when everyone else is gone.

For what it's worth ...... At&t still super suxs!!!
    05-19-19 10:44 AM
    The closed thread is titled At&t super suxs!!!

So the new user seconded to me yesterday. I tried to respond but the moderator closed the thread.

So as u suggest above. I started a new thread (At&t super suxs!!!! - part 2) and I included a quote from the new users post in the old thread in my new thread so he would be notified and see it.

I just posted the new thread in the last hour or 2 ........... And the thread is ALREADY LOCKED/CLOSED.

I updated my subject letting everyone know about my subsequent moves to Tmobile and then in January to Verizon.

So your suggestion is not very helpful.

I guess before long u and the moderators can spend the day locking each other's threads when everyone else is gone.

For what it's worth ...... At&t still super suxs!!!
    For the record, I'm not a mod.

I was asking about your classified thread.

As far as your rant against AT&T, I'll just leave that between you, the mod, and the forum ToS.
    05-19-19 10:47 AM
    So was your classified ad reinstated upon request?
    NO!!! I had a couple of communications with moderator before it was deleted responding to msgs he had sent me regarding updating listings.

I don't recall that I ever communicated with him after he deleted the listing. What's the point really. I communicated with him before and he still deleted it.
    05-19-19 10:50 AM

I don't recall that I ever communicated with him after he deleted the listing.
    K. So nothing to see here.
    05-19-19 10:51 AM
    K. So nothing to see here.
    Sure!!!! Lots to see!!!! just go here to "marketplace" and go down the page and start opening listings.

I just did. Didn't take to long to get down to 3-years and no posts/replies in 3-years ( and there are many older than that ). This is what I tried to point out t the moderator who deleted my listing after about a week of inactivity on the listing.

Why ???? Who knows ......
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-19-19 11:12 AM
    For the record, I'm not a mod.
    I know that. You"re generally a intelligent guy that provides some great info here.

I realize that the guys paying for the server, bandwidth and the vbulletin license can run a site however they choose.

And as a user I can chose to come or go.

I use to visit here regularly.

Now ..... Not so much...... Primarily due to mods.

The closed/locked thread this AM is another great example of mod flex for no good or legitimate reason. And certainly no benefit to CB or its users.

To each their own .....

Thanks for all the great info and content u provide here Conite.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-19-19 11:31 AM
    Sure!!!! Lots to see!!!! just go here to "marketplace" and go down the page and start opening listings.

I just did. Didn't take to long to get down to 3-years and no posts/replies in 3-years ( and there are many older than that ). This is what I tried to point out t the moderator who deleted my listing after about a week of inactivity on the listing.

Why ???? Who knows ......
    I don’t recall deleted threads as mods just lock. In the Marketplace, the policy is to move to sold/archived status thread or so I believe.
    05-19-19 12:00 PM
    I don’t recall deleted threads as mods just lock. In the Marketplace, the policy is to move to sold/archived status thread or so I believe.
    I saw several threads xlosed. Some were really interesting....but criticising (with numbers) BB strategies. Closing that thread and the reason given was really childish. Or maybe the moderator has a poster at home of the Dear Leader.
    05-19-19 12:30 PM
    I saw several threads xlosed. Some were really interesting....but criticising (with numbers) BB strategies. Closing that thread and the reason given was really childish. Or maybe the moderator has a poster at home of the Dear Leader.
    Nobody gives a rat's bleep, about criticizing BB or BBMo here as that's partly what grew this site from the beginning. The only reason threads get close is TOS violations such as inappropriate comments towards other members. Usually the inappropriate comments are deleted and offenders warned first.

The other big reason for thread closures is duplicate threads or antiquated threads where duplicate new thread is more appropriate.

Anything resulting in deletion of thread must be something way over these examples. The offender is notified via PM about the problem and solution to keep matters private and from becoming much bigger issue.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-19-19 12:48 PM
    Nobody gives a rat's bleep, about criticizing BB or BBMo here as that's partly what grew this site from the beginning. The only reason threads get close is TOS violations such as inappropriate comments towards other members. Usually the inappropriate comments are deleted and offenders warned first.

The other big reason for thread closures is duplicate threads or antiquated threads where duplicate new thread is more appropriate.

Anything resulting in deletion of thread must be something way over these examples. The offender is notified via PM about the problem and solution to keep matters private and from becoming much bigger issue.
    I am afraid you are not getting the point. But I want to trust your good faith on this, specially because you were not writing on that thread and you may have passed it. There was not TOS reasons or attack to any member or fan or fanboy, etc.... So, there was no reason.

Anyway let's see what the mods answer to the OP. You can keep on answer to me or rant against me, fine. But it is not the point of the OP. They should I think give him am answer. Unless you are now a moderator.
    05-19-19 12:58 PM
    I am afraid you are not getting the point. But I want to trust your good faith on this, specially because you were not writing on that thread and you may have passed it. There was not TOS reasons or attack to any member or fan or fanboy, etc.... So, there was no reason.

Anyway let's see what the mods answer to the OP. You can keep on answer to me or rant against me, fine. But it is not the point of the OP. They should I think give him am answer. Unless you are now a moderator.
    I'm not a moderator and you probably won't see any specific response from any mod.

TOS prohibit discussion of specific violation on thread and have to be done via PM or away from CB to elsewhere.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-19-19 01:07 PM
    @duckduke, a PM to me after you found your thread closed, and you may have found me quite reasonable.
    Laura Knotek and Rico4you like this.
    05-20-19 11:02 PM
372 ... 131415