Hey Mods,
    I believe there should be a dedicated forum for Developers. You could place it under BLACKBERRY OS AND DESKTOP MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE DISCUSSION.

It would serve for developers to exchange ideas, learn new things, get feedback on their upcoming apps, and as a place for prospective developers to get help from the pros.
    Maybe as an extra benefit we will see some crowd sourced apps being developed for BB10
    Toodeurep and anon(3310921) like this.
    11-21-12 06:17 AM
    I second this idea, but I would rather see it as its own forum grouping. With BB10 and the (hopeful) influx of devs, it should be separate.

Forum structure something like the following:

BlackBerry Developers
    HTML5/Webworks Development
    Adobe Air Development
    QT/QML/Cascades Development
    C++ Development
    Java Development
    Android Application Porting

In each section (if the need arises) there can be a tutorial section or a getting started with (insert dev environment here).
    Qaxl, Toodeurep and kbz1960 like this.
    11-21-12 06:39 AM
    In each section (if the need arises) there can be a tutorial section or a getting started with (insert dev environment here).
    The need will arise, and there should be getting started tutorial threads as sticky, and also feature specific tutorials.
    Sith_Apprentice and Toodeurep like this.
    11-21-12 06:50 AM
    What's wrong with the old developers forum?

http://forums.crackberry.com/app-developers-f9/
    11-21-12 07:19 AM
    Nothing inherently wrong with it, just fleshed out a bit and its own forum grouping Plus we should see traffic can be increased to it
    11-21-12 07:29 AM
    It could benefit from visibility and structure.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    11-21-12 08:26 AM
    I think they mean something more robust with it's own sub forums. I support this idea!
    Sith_Apprentice and Qaxl like this.
    11-21-12 08:45 AM
    Also it might be possible to get developers (who post here often) to speak about their experience with the different dev environments. This should drive traffic to the development area and hopefully bring in new ones! This might also be something good to advertise on the Android Central forums for those devs there that may want to port.
    Qaxl and pkcable like this.
    11-21-12 09:00 AM
    Out of curiosity... what do you folks think of the developers' forums over at WPC? Windows Phone Central Forums

Would love your feedback.

If doing something new with the Developers forums here at CrackBerry would mean more engagement... I'm all for it.
    11-22-12 09:45 AM
    Out of curiosity... what do you folks think of the developers' forums over at WPC? Windows Phone Central Forums

Would love your feedback.

If doing something new with the Developers forums here at CrackBerry would mean more engagement... I'm all for it.
    Yes something similar to that would be perfect in my opinion! I will invite I few more developers to weigh in though.
    11-27-12 04:26 PM
    The developer forums aren't exactly a hotbed of posting excitement... IMO, adding more subforums at this point won't serve much benefit. MAYBE a QNX/Java divide, but more than that and you'll make them seem even deader than it is.
    That being said, I'm sure there's lots of devs who would be willing to assist if CB wants to do it.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 11-27-12 at 04:59 PM.
    11-27-12 04:43 PM
    I'm all for it but it would need visibility #BeBold
    11-27-12 04:44 PM
    The developer forums aren't exactly a hotbed of posting excitement... IMO, adding more subforums at this point won't serve much benefit. MAYBE a QNX/Java divide, but more than that and you'll make them seem even deader than it is.
    +1 on the QNX/Java split but yeah anything more than that may be a bit much. And not trying to drive traffic away from CB but the official BB Dev forums are really the place to go for this stuff. CB seems to be more of a consumer facing audience.
    11-27-12 04:50 PM
    I'm not a dev, but could there also be an area strictly for beta apps? Where people could get invites and talk about the beta.
    11-27-12 04:52 PM
    I'm not a dev, but could there also be an area strictly for beta apps? Where people could get invites and talk about the beta.
    That more often happens in the App sections (which I believe it should).
    11-27-12 04:58 PM
    +1 on the QNX/Java split but yeah anything more than that may be a bit much. And not trying to drive traffic away from CB but the official BB Dev forums are really the place to go for this stuff. CB seems to be more of a consumer facing audience.
    The idea is to engage the consumers and make them a part of the app development process. Get feedback and opinions on apps in development, get requests for features, or ideas for whole new apps. Also get the consumers interested in development by making it open and welcoming to the newbies with tutorials and how-tos and helping them out with their first apps, yet also have a section where the more experienced developers can exchange experiences with various dev environments.
    11-27-12 05:04 PM
    I would be happy to hang in the theads and provide insight where I can.

I would love it if we had it completely seperated out by Java / QNX device and by language. But the more you diverge the harder it is to get traction.

But I am biased being a dev
    11-27-12 05:14 PM
    If sub forum for BB10 dev is made. It's better for devs to fill it with beta test. Know how, tweaking for their apps. And mingling with their customers. I think it will be fun for both parties.
    11-27-12 05:19 PM
    Been doing a lot of reading lately looking to develop my own work. I think it would be great to have such a place.
    11-27-12 08:45 PM
    ...and thanks again for all you devs do.
    Sith_Apprentice and KermEd like this.
    11-27-12 08:46 PM
    So having a subforum for Java and BB10 would be the divide then. Keep in mind there is also the HTML5 auto SDK etc. I think we could really attract people to post here, especially if there are beta testing, tutorials, help from the devs (if you are all are willing) et all. Having an app a week featured on the CB home page, or a dev story, tutorial etc would get a TON of responses. Also putting an Android section in there might bring in some bleed over devs from Android Central

Those devs that do the give away apps for a period of time or free trials etc can post links to the apps in the forum as kind of a CB exclusive, bring in people from outside as well directly to those forums. There are definitely ways to generate a ton of interest and traffic, and we, as CB, have immensely talented devs already posting everywhere. I know I have been trying to teach myself some QML (not a programmer at all hah) and its very interesting, though RIM's documentation (while improved) is still lacking in many areas.
    Qaxl and pkcable like this.
    11-28-12 09:07 AM
    ...and thanks again for all you devs do.
    +1 to this. Thank you all!
    11-28-12 09:10 AM
    I brought in some ringers.
    Sith_Apprentice and Toodeurep like this.
    11-29-12 09:35 AM
    Actually, if the main blog is used to attract devs and learners and CB commits to continuing to encourage traffic, I suppose it is possible that separate forums for all the different coding types would be workable.
    It'd definitely need that boost.
    11-29-12 09:47 AM
    Actually, if the main blog is used to attract devs and learners and CB commits to continuing to encourage traffic, I suppose it is possible that separate forums for all the different coding types would be workable.
    It'd definitely need that boost.
    Why shouldnt there be this? I know you (SCrid) have your OSBBx but think about some sort of cross linking between your site and here. Lots of developer info over there and TONS of members here. Just trying to get the community involved haha
    11-29-12 12:57 PM
37 12