Why shouldnt there be this? I know you (SCrid) have your OSBBx but think about some sort of cross linking between your site and here. Lots of developer info over there and TONS of members here. Just trying to get the community involved haha
    There should be linking between the main blog and any development arm that CrackBerry wants to initiate; however, I don't know if CB WANTS to use the main blog to promote developer type things too much because, at the end of the day, CB is a consumer BB site. Too much developer and technical posts might drive away the consumer folks who don't want to know about development.
    And I do post most everything from OSBB here
    pkcable likes this.
    11-29-12 01:05 PM
    There should be linking between the main blog and any development arm that CrackBerry wants to initiate; however, I don't know if CB WANTS to use the main blog to promote developer type things too much because, at the end of the day, CB is a consumer BB site. Too much developer and technical posts might drive away the consumer folks who don't want to know about development.
    And I do post most everything from OSBB here
    CB posts anything and everything about the SDKs and Dev devices already. Bringing in devs, showcasing applications, etc, could only HELP generate consumer interest.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-30-12 06:32 AM
    I think most of the folks posting in here are OSBBx too lol! A big part of that, is OSBBx is a group of developers who got together through CrackBerry, so it makes sense.

With that said, its tough. BlackBerry has some good forums for developers with people much smarter than I. Their forum system leaves a lot to be wished for. The one major advantage, and driving reason for a lot of developers though, is the BlackBerry Forums play very nicely on QNX devices (they've avoided JS) and on mobile phones, so its easy for devs to browse while thinking of things.

With all of that said, I'm all for increasing traffic of any kind here. I don't necessarily think a distinction between developers and users *should* be made. You really want both groups communicating as much as possible to increase a platform. What killed RIM in the past (and likely could do it again) is they close their eyes to their customers by blocking/upcharging and overshoring support. Ensuring they lose visibility into their customers needs and wants.

Long story short, more devs on here, the more we can try to mitigate the blind perspective RIM takes towards customers, and the better we can improve our own apps by having direct feedback and support from eachother.

If you build a new forum for developers, I'll post one working sample complete with BAR for each section you build to help . If it doesnt get the traffic, no loss, you can change it back later. But you need to take a risk to get ahead sometimes (or as RIM likes to put it, be Bold - even if that phone runs a horrible java based OS that should have beend discontinued years ago).
    Last edited by KermEd; 12-01-12 at 03:09 PM.
    12-01-12 01:41 PM
    Well, sounds like several devs are on board. It's just up to the CB administration to make it happen.
    pkcable and Sith_Apprentice like this.
    12-01-12 07:28 PM
    I think most of the folks posting in here are OSBBx too lol! A big part of that, is OSBBx is a group of developers who got together through CrackBerry, so it makes sense.

With that said, its tough. BlackBerry has some good forums for developers with people much smarter than I. Their forum system leaves a lot to be wished for. The one major advantage, and driving reason for a lot of developers though, is the BlackBerry Forums play very nicely on QNX devices (they've avoided JS) and on mobile phones, so its easy for devs to browse while thinking of things.

With all of that said, I'm all for increasing traffic of any kind here. I don't necessarily think a distinction between developers and users *should* be made. You really want both groups communicating as much as possible to increase a platform. What killed RIM in the past (and likely could do it again) is they close their eyes to their customers by blocking/upcharging and overshoring support. Ensuring they lose visibility into their customers needs and wants.

Long story short, more devs on here, the more we can try to mitigate the blind perspective RIM takes towards customers, and the better we can improve our own apps by having direct feedback and support from eachother.

If you build a new forum for developers, I'll post one working sample complete with BAR for each section you build to help . If it doesnt get the traffic, no loss, you can change it back later. But you need to take a risk to get ahead sometimes (or as RIM likes to put it, be Bold - even if that phone runs a horrible java based OS that should have beend discontinued years ago).

Thank you very much for volunteering for this! I see the BB10 section has changed and now has a BB10 developer section to that BB10 Hub forum. This is very much a step in the right direction. I may, however, have missed the announcement on the main page for it!
    12-04-12 06:29 AM
    Awesome, building some BB10 apps this week and posting the source to github.

Ill do a tutorial post on here. I'm thinking: how to build a CrackBerry webapp via WebWorks, AS3 and BB App Generator - for BB10

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-10-12 08:04 PM
    Awesome, building some BB10 apps this week and posting the source to github.

Ill do a tutorial post on here. I'm thinking: how to build a CrackBerry webapp via WebWorks, AS3 and BB App Generator - for BB10

Ed

A most excellent 1000th post!!!!!
    KermEd likes this.
    12-10-12 09:09 PM
    I may or may not have time to post any tutorials on CrackBerry (I've been building new apps like a crazy man for the last couple days, and will be rebuilding for BB10 next week), but I WILL be posting at least two webworks BB10 apps (and probably several more) to Github in the next week or two, and I'll announce that when it happens.
    12-10-12 09:15 PM
    Lol!!!!

Now I *have* to do it!

12-11-12 06:53 AM
    Shane, awesome. I can help you get it promoted to the BB github if you need after too (worked with Eduardo on submitting apps to them this week). Finally understanding github.

12-11-12 06:56 AM
    One last thing for this, and hopefully the mods get behind it. We need someone to post these to the main CB page, even if its in portions (tutorial part 1, 2, etc) for the different platforms, linking to not only the CB forum but also the github pages etc.
    12-13-12 10:04 AM
    Hey All,

I'm all for covering dev-related stuff on the blogs. As mentioned above, I think overall we are a site more focused on BlackBerry end users.... but we have readers and engaged users from every part of the ecosystem, be it industry (RIM, carriers, devs, etc.), enterprise (IT folks, BES admins), or end users.

If you do up some great developer focused content here, we can for sure link to it and promo it on the homepage.

Obviously RIM has been doing a lot of work this past year and making great improvements to their developer relations effforts. So we should try in here to really compliment that. Give it a brainstorm... I'm all for more stuff!

Kevin
    Sith_Apprentice and KermEd like this.
    12-13-12 07:55 PM
37 12