Please can the pop up advertisements on Crackberry! I don't mind ads on a page, it pays the bills. What I do mind, is an ad that pops up in the middle of the screen that you have to click to get rid of.
    10-29-11 10:08 AM
    I have yet to come across any pop-up ads on any of the Mobile Nations websites... yet anyway, and I hope I never do. If I did I can promise I'd visit them a lot less!!!
    10-29-11 10:19 AM
    Please can the pop up advertisements on Crackberry! I don't mind ads on a page, it pays the bills. What I do mind, is an ad that pops up in the middle of the screen that you have to click to get rid of.
    Pop up blocker perhaps? Most if not all browsers have them.

Just sayin...
    10-29-11 10:26 AM
    I experience them on CrackBerry, but not TiPb. Yes, they are very annoying.
    10-29-11 10:26 AM
    Pop up blocker perhaps? Most if not all browsers have them.

Just sayin...
    I thought that Firefox had that built in, but I will look into it.

The advertisers are always looking for new ways to get around ad blockers, so it is an ongoing battle.

I don't want to run a huge hosts file (used to do that) just to have a comfortable internet experience.

Please give us registered users a way to opt out, or a small fee to opt out of all advertisements on the site while logged in.

I occasionally purchase stuff from Crackberry, I know where the store tab is, and I know where the Best Buy website is, I don't need any help to spend money (already proficient).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-29-11 11:07 AM
    The lack of popup adds was one of the reasons I've always prefered CrackBerry. I'm quite disappointed that I'm seeing these now. They are one of my most hated things on the internet.

If there was a popup ad for free money I'd still ignore it, and close it out.
    moiselles and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-29-11 11:08 AM
    I tried Adblock Plus, it helped some, but not with the one that takes up the middle of the screen.

Now I am trying NoScript, and it works great. Now I just have to figure out which ones to let run.

I don't mind advertisements, but when they interfere with normal browsing, it is a bit much.
    10-30-11 12:48 PM
    Now I am trying NoScript, and it works great. Now I just have to figure out which ones to let run.
    I don't allow any scripts to run and only temp allow to log in or shop. I've never seen a popup on CB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-11 08:10 PM
    Definitely annoying. I am seeing it a lot more.
    10-31-11 09:00 PM
    Please get rid of that full page pop up ad! I have only been on the site for 5 minutes and I've gotten it three times. It takes over the entire screen and says right on it "Message from Crackberry.com". It needs to go!
    Use a script blocker, it works very well from what I have found, and Crackberry loads really fast. I have been using it for a couple of days, and my internet experience is enjoyable again.

I am using Firefox, and the blocker that I am using is called NoScript, very effective.

I don't agree with the pop up crap at all, but since Kevin defends having them (for obvious reasons), I am guessing they are here to stay.
    11-01-11 08:52 AM
    The ads are a pain when viewig full CrackBerry on a mobile device.
    11-12-11 07:04 PM
    I will point this thread out to Kevin and the Forum Managers.
    Chrisy and moiselles like this.
    11-12-11 09:16 PM
    I will point this thread out to Kevin and the Forum Managers.
    Already has been done...............
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-12-11 09:58 PM
    Are you guys kidding me with these ads??? Sometimes I'll open a number of tabs and have to close the stupid pop up add on each and every tab before I can read anything. On my desktop, I guess I could resort to third part ad blockers, but I can't believe that it is Crackberry that is so utterly obnoxious that this is the first time I have considered doing this since I started using Firefox many years ago. And what about my Playbook? Guess there is not much I can do there. Right now, Crackberry is easily the most annoying site I have ever used on a regular basis when it comes to pop up ads. Sad
    12-26-11 04:17 PM
    Hey Jhimmel,

Thanks for posting. Sending an email to our ad partner right now to see what's going on here.

Popup ads should only serve once per day to a user, which I think is acceptable. If you're clearing your cookies on every visit or visiting from multiple computers/browsers you might get served more than once, but on a computer in a browser session it should be once per day only.

Thanks for the patience. We're ok with having ads on the site obviously, but our intent isn't for it to turn off people.
    12-27-11 12:00 AM
    Hey Jhimmel,

Thanks for posting. Sending an email to our ad partner right now to see what's going on here.

Popup ads should only serve once per day to a user, which I think is acceptable. If you're clearing your cookies on every visit or visiting from multiple computers/browsers you might get served more than once, but on a computer in a browser session it should be once per day only.

Thanks for the patience. We're ok with having ads on the site obviously, but our intent isn't for it to turn off people.
    Thanks for the reply, Kevin. What was happening is, I will open a group of tabs containing the Forum area's that I am most interested in. As I go to each tab to read that forum, I would be faced with the giant in-your-face ad (that I can't imagine ANYONE would want to do business with) that I would then close. Then it's there on the next tab, and the next one, and the next one... I'm not sure why the ads on this site are getting past the normal pop-up blockers in Firefox, but I do not seem to have this problem on other sites. I'd rather not have to employ a third party tool for just this site alone. I'll be watching to see what your contact with your partner will result in. I hope it helps. I don't think you want CrackBerry to become one of "those" sites.

What's worse, the SAME thing was happening on my PlayBook tabs.

Personally, I think pop-up ads are intrusive, annoying, and I hate to presume "unnecesary", but 99% of the sites I visit seem to do just fine without them. I wish you would reconsider that practice entirely. CrackBerry is easily the most comprehensive site on the net for all things relating to BlackBerry. The intrusion in recent months of users with questionable motives and intent is bad enough - and a struggle that I can certainly understand the complexity of, but the pop-ups are a REAL shame to see here. Just voicing my opinion, for what it's worth.

Great job otherwise, and thanks so much for your attention, Kevin.
    12-27-11 03:19 PM
    Little late on this thread, sorry, but the ads plastered all over the forums are seriously obnoxious. I understand that this is a business, but isn't there some way to offer "premium" forum access that isn't riddled with ads?? It really has gone over the top since I started coming here... Just sayin
    01-24-12 08:00 PM
    As Kevin stated, the pop-ups are set to only appear once in 24 hours. Do you stay logged in? I don't see pop-ups much at all. PC, PB, or BB. Not sure why this is still an issue.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 01-24-12 at 09:17 PM.
    01-24-12 09:08 PM
    As Kevin stated, the pop-ups are set to only appear once in 24 hours. Do you stay logged in? I don't see pop-ups much at all. PC, PB, or BB. Not sure why this is still an issue.
    I've only seen a pop up once. My problem is with the chunks of ads in the forums between posts. It's just annoying. I'd pay a couple bucks to not have to look at that crap.
    01-24-12 10:37 PM
    I did notice that on the mobile forums once, but it went away. I'll have to check again. If that's the new thing, I will have to hate it.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    01-25-12 06:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD