Many of us longtime members have been getting frustrated in the forums. Many of us have stopped visiting as often, some I know have stopped coming altogether. The source of then frustration is the constant negativity that is being hurled not at BlackBerry or CB, but at us members that are trying to have productive conversations. CB used to be a place where we could come ask questions about our phones, get help when needed, tell stories about something we find cool. But we're not allowed to do that anymore. Every time we try, a recognizable bunch will swoop in, overtake the thread, talk about how BlackBerry is dead, tell us how we're wrong for using these devices, and often times directly insult us.

I understand people have complaints. I understand people feel cheated, slighted, lied to, and yes, CB being a BlackBerry fan site is a place to air these complaints. There are plenty of active threads about these issues.... What I do not understand is whywith all these outlets to have your voice heard in threads created just for this, why this group of angry posters feel the need to run in and overtake any productive thread that might lean on the pro-BB side of the fence.

I understand CB tries to be an open forum, and there are rules in place to attempt to stop blatant bullying, but some of these posters have figured out the system, and are using it fully to their advantage. We see it time and time again. They will enter a thread, make some not-so subtle attacks on posters, and when the posters fire back, I'm assuming the instigators report it, because suddenly mods will step in, warnings are given, threads shut down.

My fear, and the fear of many others I've spoke to, is that mods are so concerned about being open, and trying to make CB an open forum, that a lot of things that are bad for the overall atmosphere of CB forums is being allowed. And in the same token, it feels like when you take your kids to your 'fancy' friends house. You're friends kids are running around tearing then place up, but you keep your child under your thumb. If something breaks, it won't be your child's fault! We'll, that's what it feels like, us so called 'fanboy' positive posting kids are being disciplined by our mod-parents, while the disruptive children of our fancy friends are playing ball in the house and breaking lamps.

Now, in the open nature of this forum, this thread should be allowed, however I know it won't. I brought up this question before in another thread and received a warning stating it was 'not a good idea to post slaps at moderators'. Well, quite honestly, I don't believe that questioning how policing is done is a slap. I believe it is a valid question being asked in the forum, about the forum. I can tell you that I receive much harder slaps than that by a select few every time I post.

Just in recent days, we've seen 'the hypocrisy is mind blowing' thread go on and on. Here is a thread that could be argued was created just to start a battle. And even if it was not, it's definitely resulted in posters on either side going at it. And this thread is going strong current at 122 posts, last one left just a couple of hours ago. If you look in this thread, you will see people calling others out, baiting others. Read through the postings and you will see very thinly veiled attempts to get reactions from people. You will read people telling other people their posts are irrelevant, nonsense, etc, and this is allowed to go on.

Last night, in the thread 'home screen/camera idea for tat' I was reading as someone came in claiming the idea was a rip off from another device. Another poster brought up the fact that this idea has been implemented by other platforms long before the platform that the poster claimed the idea was copying. Well the first poster went off in a volley of name calling which I have not seen on CB before. The person being called the names, in my opinion handled himself very well, keeping to the facts, and not losing his cool. He was a better man than I would have been in that situation. He in fact removed himself from the fray in his last post. I myself reported the post. Mods came in, cleaned up then thread (no reason to go look, the offensive posts are now gone), and I would have been giving a huge thank you to the mods, if both posters had not received the same threats of infractions.

Today, I have seen two posts get closed for reasons I do not understand. 'what's the deal with Crackberry' and 'Hello! I am from a different platform' both posts bring up the same questions I and many others have, one is a straight question, the other did so in a quite humorous way. These are questions that many of us have, complaints many of us share, and I believe have just as much a place in the forums as any other post, and more so than posts that are created simply to start arguments. However they are closed, the hypocrisy thread continues.

So my question is, what can we as CB readers, posters, most importantly fans, do to make CB an enjoyable place again? There must be more than reporting posts. And if it is only reporting posts, then can we start getting these derailing posts removed? For instance, if we're having a conversation about how much we like the camera on our phone, we don't need to be told the iphone's is better, BlackBerry is 2 year old hardware, we chose the wrong phone and BlackBerry is dead. This is not a quote from a post, and may seem like an exaggeration, but anyone who's frequented the forums know that this is a typical exchange anymore.

How about this? Can we perhaps split the forums? Into rants and raves? So that those of us that want to talk about how we enjoy are devices aren't bashed for doing so? And those that want to bash BlackBerry have a place to themselves to do it? I can already guess what the reaction to this idea will be. Those people that are happy to have bought these devices would be for it, we would love to be able to have conversations about OUR PHONES again. Those that like to come and complain, will be against it. Because I don't believe that the vast majority of them are here to voice their complaints, have their voice heard, or look for solutions. I believe the vast majority of them are here simply to disrupt any positive exchange between BlackBerry enthusiasts.

So Kevin, Bla1ze, Adam, mods? How about it? How about giving BlackBerry enthusiasts a place in CB forums to enjoy? Doesn't have to be a big place, just a place where we can have fun again without being attacked for choosing BB10?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 11:14 PM
    I think we can all post here if we don't break the rules
    notfanboy likes this.
    10-07-13 11:18 PM
    I endorse this message.
    10-07-13 11:22 PM
    I endorse this message.
    Seconded.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 11:23 PM
    Yes, to the Crack House!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-07-13 11:27 PM
    Just in recent days, we've seen 'the hypocrisy is mind blowing' thread go on and on. Here is a thread that could be argued was created just to start a battle. And even if it was not, it's definitely resulted in posters on either side going at it. And this thread is going strong current at 122 posts, last one left just a couple of hours ago. If you look in this thread, you will see people calling others out, baiting others. Read through the postings and you will see very thinly veiled attempts to get reactions from people. You will read people telling other people their posts are irrelevant, nonsense, etc, and this is allowed to go on.
    I never expected that thread would become one of the top trending this month. I only tried to show the other side of the story then a whole bunch of people chimed in with different reactions.

You and I butted heads there but I thought we worked through it.
    10-07-13 11:36 PM
    Yes, to the Crack House!

Perfect name for an enthusiasts forum!!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 11:36 PM
    That was so much to type on your BlackBerry! Gotta love the keyboard in times like these.

My favorite people are the ones that act like they're here to save us all, telling us to abandon ship, and to move onto a "real phone." They yell and scream and tell us why other platforms are better and how happy they've been ever since they've left.

I look at those people like people who hold a bunch of religious signs outside major events, on the bullhorn yelling at everyone to repent, screaming about sin, all because they want us to be "saved." Like thanks, but I don't need people screaming at me, telling me what to believe in or what to do.

If this type of person really wants to be helpful, they can start by letting people think for themselves, arrive at their own conclusions, and most importantly, respect their choices.
    10-07-13 11:40 PM
    I never expected that thread would become one of the top trending this month. I only tried to show the other side of the story then a whole bunch of people chimed in with different reactions.

You and I butted heads there but I thought we worked through it.
    I'm speaking of the forums as a whole. Not specifically your thread. Your thread just makes a good example. To be honest, I'm more suprised that the other threads I mentioned were shut down vs yours being left open. Sorry if it seems I singled you out. That wasn't the intention and not the purpose of my post.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 11:41 PM
    Here here.

You don't have to be a "fanboy" to be on CB. But the hijacking of threads needs to stop.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 11:45 PM
    The only way to combat trolling is to learn to not let it bother you and never, ever, reply to it. That is like oxygen to them. Not that I necessarily agree that what you described is actually trolling, but if it is it will subside when it stops getting a rise out of people.
    pkcable, xBURK, BigBadWulf and 1 others like this.
    10-07-13 11:47 PM
    A very eloquent and heartfelt post by the OP. He has articulated what has been on my mind as well. I'm a much newer poster, but in the short time that I have been here, the negativity has become difficult to ignore. Sincerely expressed negativity is still ok in my opinion, and I understand that it is justified in some cases, and is even informative for me.

But the endless stream of snarkiness is tiresome. We all know, this is the internet where anonymity allows people to be mean to each other with impunity. Knowing this, the snark doesn't have the power to offend. It's just ... repetitive and tiresome, and toxic to newer entrants because it derails threads that would otherwise have been perfectly reasonable discussions.

I feel like l just want to (1) Share my experience of using my Q10 (2) Ask crack experts for help (or read existing information) on how to do certain things on the phone.

BBQ10
    10-07-13 11:50 PM
    Rich Cermele here, Moderator & Ambassador Team Leader. I can certainly relate to what you are saying. It's very late at night and I reserve the right to say more on this later, BUT I wanted to give you all some of my initial thoughts on this matter.

First off before we go ANY further please read this thread by our founder Kevin Michaluk. I have instructed my Mods to read this thread also. We are taking a harder line against internet trolls, and forum fighting/personal attacks. That being said we ARE a small staff doing a VERY large job.

What can you do to help? Use the ignore function (from the HTML site, click on the person's name, then from the profile popup, go to Forum Profile, then select Add to Ignore), and mentally ignore. Use the report function. Here's how! And when you DO report let us handle it. Yes we often give out mutiple infractions, to both the trolls and those who attack back. DON'T attack back. Lastly remember CB's true spirit, member's helping members. Stick with the threads asking questions and answer them as best you can. And when you to participate in heated topics, keep your cool, argue your point with facts and DON'T ATTACK OTHERS!

These are just some of my initial thoughts. I agree this IS a discussion we should be having. Hopefully Kevin and others will weigh in. Please feel free to ask your questions, I welcome this dialog!
    10-07-13 11:52 PM
    The only way to combat trolling is to learn to not let it bother you and never, ever, reply to it. That is like oxygen to them. Not that I necessarily agree that what you described is actually trolling, but if it is it will subside when it stops getting a rise out of people.
    Actually the only way to combat trolling would be to give them infractions and then ban them.

I'm not saying people should reply to trolls, but after a while, it's just annoying to read their posts all the time.

It's like driving on a street with a bunch of nails. Sure I can avoid them, but it's just irritating that they're on the street, when I'm just trying to drive.
    R Field and drewread like this.
    10-07-13 11:55 PM
    Actually the only way to combat trolling would be to give them infractions and then ban them.
    They can make new accounts and use an anonymizing proxy to beat IP bans. And once you show them that it bothers you they will go to the effort. People suck.
    10-08-13 12:02 AM
    First off before we go ANY further please read this thread by our founder Kevin Michaluk. I have instructed my Mods to read this thread also. We are taking a harder line against internet trolls, and forum fighting/personal attacks. That being said we ARE a small staff doing a VERY large job.

What can you do to help? Use the ignore function (from the HTML site, click on the person's name, then from the profile popup, go to Forum Profile, then select Add to Ignore), and mentally ignore. Use the report function.
    That a load, Rich, and you know it. I've received infractions for reporting duplicate threads. "Abuse of the reporting system" (the mods found it annoying). I've also suggested threads which contain personal attacks, most recently one against Kevin Michaluk, be shut down. Those suggestions often fall on deaf ears. I've specifically asked why certain members can regularly carry themselves with foul language. No reply.

I may be impassioned about the failings of BlackBerry management but I know there is decorum to be followed here. It would be great if the mods would recognize that as well and act on our suggestions accordingly.
    MarsupilamiX and kevinnugent like this.
    10-08-13 12:12 AM
    Lol I like

Yes, to the Crack House!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free
    10-08-13 12:15 AM
    Rich Cermele here, Moderator & Ambassador Team Leader. I can certainly relate to what you are saying. It's very late at night and I reserve the right to say more on this later, BUT I wanted to give you all some of my initial thoughts on this matter.

What can you do to help? Use the ignore function (from the HTML site, click on the person's name, then from the profile popup, go to Forum Profile, then select Add to Ignore), and mentally ignore. Use the report function. Here's how! And when you DO report let us handle it. Yes we often give out mutiple infractions, to both the trolls and those who attack back. DON'T attack back. Lastly remember CB's true spirit, member's helping members. Stick with the threads asking questions and answer them as best you can. And when you to participate in heated topics, keep your cool, argue your point with facts and DON'T ATTACK OTHERS!

These are just some of my initial thoughts. I agree this IS a discussion we should be having. Hopefully Kevin and others will weigh in. Please feel free to ask your questions, I welcome this dialog!
    Thanks for your response. That is a wonderful post by Kevin, although, it's 2 years old, and I've never seen then forums in the shape they're in now. Even during the PlayBook days, we could still have conversations on here.

I will fully admit to feeding the trolls on multiple occasions, but when every single time you try to have a conversation, and every single time you get hijacked, eventually even the most even tempered person (which I am not) will break.

I've received infractions, and I accept them, and I'll try to be on good behavior for as long as possible after I get one, but within hours of getting my infraction, I see the party I was engaged with doing the same thing in some other thread with some other person. It really does make you wonder sometimes.

That being said, I have seen a slight shift in mod reactions. I've seen things that had skid by in the past get caught recentky... knowing that we'll get infractions for 'troll' or 'isheep' it was nice to see someone state the other day that they got an infraction for calling someone a 'fanboy'. That's the biggest complaint I hear, is the perceived unfairness. And I'm not saying it is truly unfair, but the perception is there. Until recently we were called 'rabid fanboys' all day long but the moment we said 'troll'... infraction. That is the type of situation that needs to be publicly addressed, so that enthusiast will feel like we have a forum again. Even if it's just a separate room in the forums. A Crack house as suggested above.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 12:15 AM
    If this is true, it will need to change.

That a load, Rich, and you know it. I've received infractions for reporting duplicate threads. "Abuse of the reporting system" (the mods found it annoying). I've also suggested threads which contain personal attacks, most recently one against Kevin Michaluk, be shut down. Those suggestions often fall on deaf ears. I've specifically asked why certain members can regularly carry themselves with foul language. No reply.

I may be impassioned about the failings of BlackBerry management but I know there is decorum to be followed here. It would be great if the mods would recognize that as well and act on our suggestions accordingly.
    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free
    10-08-13 12:18 AM
    I am new to this site and I agree with you one hundred percent. I have been a BlackBerry user for over a decade and I have probably heard every negative thing that there is to say about BlackBerry. That being said, when I joined CrackBerry, I thought that it would be kind of like you described in your post, a community of like-minded individuals who chose to congregate with each other over their admiration for BlackBerry devices. I too, was shocked to read what some members were posting and wondered why they were even on this site to begin with. Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that many of us newcomers came to this site for the right reasons and agree with everything you wrote.
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-08-13 12:19 AM
    Sometimes it does seem as if the buzzards are circling over Crackberry's forums. Right now it seems much worse because of the most recent slew of PR trainwrecks. There was a time when TH seemed to have made real progress but he over promised and under delivered and now BBs credibility is at an all time low.

So we loyalists are low-hanging fruit twisting in an ill wind. There isn't a discernable rallying point and KM himself seems worn out and preoccupied with placing blame, highlighting his warnings and hedging his bets. I can't blame him as he saw the institutional flaws a long way off. I hope he sticks and gets a second wind. I have had enough of the post mortem gloating from other people but in the absence of a coherent plan for the future it is hard to defend a company in mid-turtle. If BlackBerry would give KM something anything to work with he can get up off the deck and start fighting back and we can follow suit. But it's BlackBerry it self that has to put an end to this blanket party.

Posted via CB10
    Warlack and pick1eberry like this.
    10-08-13 12:47 AM

Is there a possibility of adding the ignore function into the CB apps and not only for forum comments but blog ones as well?

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    10-08-13 01:02 AM
    Sometimes it does seem as if the buzzards are circling over Crackberry's forums. Right now it seems much worse because of the most recent slew of PR trainwrecks. There was a time when TH seemed to have made real progress but he over promised and under delivered and now BBs credibility is at an all time low.

So we loyalists are low-hanging fruit twisting in an ill wind. There isn't a discernable rallying point and KM himself seems worn out and preoccupied with placing blame, highlighting his warnings and hedging his bets. I can't blame him as he saw the institutional flaws a long way off. I hope he sticks and gets a second wind. I have had enough of the post mortem gloating from other people but in the absence of a coherent plan for the future it is hard to defend a company in mid-turtle. If BlackBerry would give KM something anything to work with he can get up off the deck and start fighting back and we can follow suit. But it's BlackBerry it self that has to put an end to this blanket party.

Posted via CB10
    can we stop on this thing on this thread?

Its irrelevant to what the discussion is, and you're just venting out your frustration at BlackBerry, and using the frustration as a justification to vent.

Its not about loyalists, fanboys or anything. It is precisely about threads are in discussion that gets hijacked by people expressing their frustrations about the company. This response is, what I would be led to believe, a near golden example of this, albeit subtle.

It does not mean that nobody can say anything negative, as per OP's suggestion, but rather it would be the community that needs to decide if the poster is really talking about the subject at hand, or just making pot-shots at anything, akin to a troll.

Now I've used two very sensitve words here, but I'm saying this on the basis to support the OP's arguments that the hijacking needs to stop, and the community needs to really differenciate what is contributing to a thread vs a opportunist pot-shotting at (insert anything here).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    axeman1000 likes this.
    10-08-13 02:07 AM

Rich,

I think that any discussion that is honest and thoughtful should have a place, nevertheless, I don't think this thread is productive. Frankly, I believe it an attempt to "bully" mods. You guys are around the forum, you see what goes on, and what the regular modus operandi of some posters are. The very ones who protest the most are often the ones that carry on with the most histrionics, the most baiting/trolling comments and threads, and the most personal attacks - yes, constantly questioning anyone's right to be here, what the nature of the board should be, what opinions should be allowed etc.

This is only a generalization of course, and subject to limitations of all generalizations, but the fact is, I believe strongly that the posters who back up their comments with the most logic, reason, and thoughtfulness, are not the complainers....the complainers are the most passionate, emotional people - the fact is, that's about the only thing left that can drive unbridled, unquestioned loyalty to BB.

Reality: the situation IS BAD. There ISN'T much good news. Attacking the people who deliver or discuss the very real bad news, is not helpful. Nor is manufacturing artificial good news - often done by lying or misleading - by leaving out important aspects - when people then clarify and correct - they are attacked for being negative.

Often it seems to me that conflicts are often sparked by:

1.Objective or "negative" posters correcting facts, or simply expressing what their opinion in threads that seem detached from reality. Now this is very upsetting to the positivists....but it isn't WRONG. In the spirit of a commitment to the truth, it is philosophically, and morally, commendable, though, the reality being negative, is not palatable to BB fans. Many fans accept this though - to their great credit. Many simply cannot tolerate it - to any degree.
    They fall back on invalid arguments:
    2.this opinion shouldn't be allowed (b/c this is a fansite)
    3.this is tired and we've heard it too much (ignoring that at least 50% of it is illicited by the unreal/misleading positivist threads - some of which I DO believe is purposeful trolling by people wishing to stir up trouble. One poster, for example, starts multiple threads each day with exuberantly over-the-top praise for BB, replete with irrational reasoning and missing or misused information - which i perceive to be thoughtfully picked for it's inflammatory nature (I bet a whole lot of posters can guess who this is))
    4.personal attacks

The anguish the positivist feel is real, but the problem is 2,3,4 are NOT valid - either in forum policy nor in a...culture dedicated to rationalism. In order;
    2..Different opinions are allowed, that is clear - so get over it.
    3..tired of it? enough? Subjective - but again, these posters themselves initiate or drag-out much of it (probably the bulk) Of course, if one's limit is truly reached, one could just use the "ignore" button (web or mental), and let those who want to talk about it continue on....but that's not satisfying is it? Must find way to lash out at them.
    4.personal attacks? Really? Against policy, and frankly, makes you look like childish twerps.

Maybe they can never accept that, and are unable to divorce themselves from their gut, visceral reactions to opinions that differ....maybe they do need their own forum where only "good" news, real or manufactured is allowed, and where BB's present and future are brilliant. I do not know, though ultimately, i suspect they would eschew such a place. I think, at least on some level even if subconscious that they'd be preaching only to a small crowd of delusional where only one idealogy is very allowed...as such....I don't think it would ever be very satisfying: make a good point, everyone applauds, make a bad point, everyone applauds, just make up a point, everyone applauds. ...probably another reason why these same posters cannot bring themselves to simply use the ignore button, they need attention/validation from realists. Endorsement by a drugged-up crazy person who will agree with anything that has "BB" and "great" in it, is not, in reality, much of an endorsement!

..but perhaps it would be needed mental health retreat for those people, where they can say anything they like, among the like-minded. If forum-rules where then strictly imposed (for things like personal attacks or complaining about other posters right to be here or express themselves) OUTSIDE of the unreality sub-forum, then I would vote for it in a democracy!

My gut feeling is that the mods understand this reality, and are acting appropriately, but I do fear that polluting the board with this consistent complaining and negativity (ironically obstensibly claiming to be reacting to complaining and objectivity), may lead to another "housecleaning". It seemed to me that last time this happened, the philosophy was simply: let's just hand out TONS of infractions...this will get the "message" across, and it will sort itself out later!" I understand why this would happen....especially with overloaded mods. Still, it is.....ugly...and not in the spirit of fairness, and ultimately leads, i think, to an undermining of the mods and the board.

I too, wonder why, for example, some posters have tried open bully tactics lately, asking poster after poster "why are you even here!? why don't you leave?!".....One poster seems to confront a new victim with this almost daily! Nevertheless, I remain hopeful that the mods will maintain level-head, objective judgment, and look hard to see who really stirs up the personal attacks and trouble.
    10-08-13 02:33 AM
    I do see your point but I suspect the OP was talking about threads like this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=858262

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 02:42 AM
122 123 ...