Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Support this suggestion

58 55.77%
  • Oppose this suggestion

27 25.96%
  • No opinion either way

19 18.27%
    I am proposing a name change for themes posted on the Crackberry theme forums.

As it currently stands themes are either �free� or �premium�. One definition of premium according to Webster�s is �a high value or a value in excess of that normally or usually expected.�

That has caused thousands of Crackberry users to come to understand that the �free� theme tag that is required by Crackberry, means that free themes are lesser in value. The Crackberry forum guidelines for posting themes states:

Themes must state either Free or Premium in the thread title. This will help to separate the themes and make them easier for all users to navigate.

This Crackberry policy has put themers who post free themes at a major disadvantage. I would like to propose a change in the Crackberry policy of naming themes either �free� or �pay� instead of premium.

If anyone is interested in supporting this change, please respond only once to this thread with your agreement.

thank you.
    12-21-09 06:18 PM
    it isn't a rant/rave. I am simply asking for a policy change by posting this in the forums where the policy is present; the theme forums.
    12-21-09 06:28 PM
    Looks like he posted it EVERYWHERE! Which violates our Cross Posting Rule. Another mod closed all the other threads. Do NOT create any more. THIS is where a thread like this belongs. I think it IS worthy of being discussed thou, and this is the perfect place for it. FTR here is the official Cross Posting Rule, from our Posting Rules & Guidelines....

Cross/Double Posting
    Please post to the MOST relevant forum. Double or cross forum posting or other attempts at flooding the forum with a stream of posts will be removed. If you find that you have posted in the incorrect forum, please contact a moderator to have it moved to the correct location.
    12-21-09 06:41 PM
    I voted no in protest of having to scroll through 17 threads titled "Online Petition" to find what I was looking for.

Seriously, though, IMO as long as CB is "featuring" free themes at the same rate they feature premium themes it doesn't matter to me what they call them. I know what I need from a theme. If there's a free one that accomplishes that, super. If not, I'll pay. Whether they call them kit-kat and mars bar.
    12-21-09 06:54 PM
    I am proposing a name change for themes posted on the Crackberry theme forums.

As it currently stands themes are either �free� or �premium�. One definition of premium according to Webster�s is �a high value or a value in excess of that normally or usually expected.�

That has caused thousands of Crackberry users to come to understand that the �free� theme tag that is required by Crackberry, means that free themes are lesser in value. The Crackberry forum guidelines for posting themes states:

Themes must state either Free or Premium in the thread title. This will help to separate the themes and make them easier for all users to navigate.

This Crackberry policy has put themers who post free themes at a major disadvantage. I would like to propose a change in the Crackberry policy of naming themes either �free� or �pay� instead of premium.

If anyone is interested in supporting this change, please respond only once to this thread with your agreement.

thank you.
    i wish i lived in your world where this is a problem i would feel the need to create and post thisd thread over and over and over again
    12-21-09 07:00 PM
    i wish i lived in your world where this is a problem i would feel the need to create and post thisd thread over and over and over again
    waste of time for this poll...
    Last edited by ReenaRoX; 12-21-09 at 07:09 PM.
    12-21-09 07:02 PM
    This is why, out of the 12 or so themes I have created, I have only shared 1 with the masses. Everyone always has something to say that they think someone else really cares about.
    Last edited by drtwrk127; 12-21-09 at 07:15 PM.
    12-21-09 07:04 PM
    In all honesty, I would not assess that the CB community assumes that free in anyway insinuates something of a lesser quality. IMO, that seems to be a projection of your subjective qualitative assessment.

Most folks understand that free simply denotes that the theme does not cost any money and nothing more than this.

In fact, many of us who spend most of our time in the themes section realize that developers like ECruz, weldmonkey, etc... make superior free themes.

Lastly, I will say that I appreciate the issue you raise if not the way you rasied it.

Cheers!
    12-21-09 07:08 PM
    Don't understand the issue. Premium means you pay a premium for the theme. Free means you don't, changing this to pay and free is irrelevant.
    12-21-09 07:10 PM
    Don't understand the issue. Premium means you pay a premium for the theme. Free means you don't, changing this to pay and free is irrelevant.
    +1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-21-09 07:20 PM
    Usually when things are quoted "premium" they tell you that it's of higher quality or that you get more for the money, ie free membership versus premium membership. The premium always comes with more, correct? I don't feel any of my themes are of lesser quality than those of paid themes. I spend the same amount of time making them and don't feel you get less just because its free. Brook is simply making a statement and I feel she has a right to do so without being harassed for it. You may not agree with her. That's why we were all born with "self control." If you don't like or agree, just move on. No need to insult someone for having an opinion.

12-21-09 07:25 PM
    My gosh this got out of hand. I simply posted it in the theme forums because I felt that this request really only applied to those who use themes. It was posted in each model because Storm users won't look in a Pearl forum, etc. Themers do this all the time when they have themes to sell or give away for multiple models of bbs. I did not see this post as any different.

I did not mention any person or company by name. This is just a request to have a change in policy. I did not post it all over CB as someone mentioned either, just themes.

The personal insults are unnecessary.
    12-21-09 07:25 PM
    waste of time for this poll...
    you must have lots of time then if you felt the need to reply.

12-21-09 07:38 PM
    My gosh this got out of hand. I simply posted it in the theme forums because I felt that this request really only applied to those who use themes. It was posted in each model because Storm users won't look in a Pearl forum, etc. Themers do this all the time when they have themes to sell or give away for multiple models of bbs. I did not see this post as any different.

I did not mention any person or company by name. This is just a request to have a change in policy. I did not post it all over CB as someone mentioned either, just themes.

The personal insults are unnecessary.
    Did not mean to offend, just letting you know about the cross posting rule. Guess I could have been a LITTLE nicer. At least I didn't whack you with my mod stick! Anyways like I said it's worthy of being discussed.
    12-21-09 07:44 PM

Brook is simply making a statement and I feel she has a right to do so without being harassed for it. You may not agree with her. That's why we were all born with "self control." If you don't like or agree, just move on. No need to insult someone for having an opinion.
    Why don't you take a page out of your own notebook. ReenaRoX was just saying her opinion, why are you nagging on her?
    12-21-09 07:49 PM
    Did not mean to offend, just letting you know about the cross posting rule. Guess I could have been a LITTLE nicer. At least I didn't whack you with my mod stick! Anyways like I said it's worthy of being discussed.
    no offense taken I guess my request, when I was thinking about it seemed very innocuous at the time. I did not realize that it was such a sensitive issue. I have only been on CB for a little over a year so I don't know all the background that has gone on before I joined.
    12-21-09 07:56 PM
    Usually when things are quoted "premium" they tell you that it's of higher quality or that you get more for the money, ie free membership versus premium membership. The premium always comes with more, correct? I don't feel any of my themes are of lesser quality than those of paid themes. I spend the same amount of time making them and don't feel you get less just because its free. Brook is simply making a statement and I feel she has a right to do so without being harassed for it. You may not agree with her. That's why we were all born with "self control." If you don't like or agree, just move on. No need to insult someone for having an opinion.

Whether or not people use emarsha's themes, they are simply some of the highest quality themes available. I've never seen a more "premium" theme than hers, although I have seen more expensive themes. It hard not to be more expensive than free.
    Last edited by Dsmithjr; 12-26-09 at 09:14 AM.
    12-21-09 08:00 PM
    When I am searching for themes, I search for "Free Themes" I am not looking for a less quality theme, just a FREE theme that some thoughtful person created and is willing to share it with the rest of the world for free. The "Premium" wording has never made me think that Free is of lesser value, other than cost.
    12-21-09 08:09 PM
    Apparently so! U don't like my comments... Move on. Take ur own advice for once.

Last edited by ReenaRoX; 12-21-09 at 08:25 PM.
    12-21-09 08:22 PM
    easy ladies. this is a thread to discuss a policy change on CB not to hurl personal insults.
    12-21-09 08:33 PM
    What I was attempting to explain to yo earlier was that the mods were trying to come up with a solution to the issue already, along with different sections for 9530's and 9550's.
    12-21-09 08:39 PM
    I apologize.
    12-21-09 09:13 PM
    [QUOTE=brook196;4350787]

"That has caused thousands of Crackberry users to come to understand that the �free� theme tag that is required by Crackberry, means that free themes are lesser in value."

I conducted a search and couldn't find any poll asking about this subject. Where did you compile your information from and have you published the documentation yet?

"This Crackberry policy has put themers who post free themes at a major disadvantage. "

Please explain what disadvantage is caused by this policy.
    12-21-09 09:17 PM
    easy ladies. this is a thread to discuss a policy change on CB not to hurl personal insults.
    +1 (and remember ladies I have a mod stick!)
    12-21-09 09:20 PM
    +1 (and remember ladies I have a mod stick!)
    Umm PK, you can't threaten women with a STICK!!!

Sorry, that's just wrong.
    12-21-09 09:30 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD