I put up with banners, side Flash ads, embedded google links. But I draw the line with ads that pop up when I go to a site. That's where I draw the line. I've stopped going to a number of sites because these are way too in-your-face and completely suckify the whole site experience for me.

Lose the popups and I promise to buy more product. ok?
    Laura Knotek and rrrebo like this.
    08-07-11 12:58 AM
    I agree 100%. When that popup appeared I thought to myself "if this happens for more than a day I'm gone" and I will be. The forums these days are all bickering and a whole lot of ******** and moaning... popups were the last thing I needed. Lose the pop ups or lose your customers... you decide.
    Laura Knotek and rrrebo like this.
    08-07-11 01:02 AM
    I agree with the previous posters. The last thing I need is annoying pop-ups. I, too, avoid sites that have that junk.
    08-07-11 02:48 AM
    I agree 100%!

Loose them or loose me and a bunch of other CB folks.

Its enough to put up with the Moto ads on a BB website, but the popups
    are a deal breaker!

If you need the cash so bad that you need to do such a nasty thing then charge us
    for using the forums.

Tim
    08-07-11 08:36 AM
    I agree 100%!

Loose them or loose me and a bunch of other CB folks.

Its enough to put up with the Moto ads on a BB website, but the popups
    are a deal breaker!

If you need the cash so bad that you need to do such a nasty thing then charge us
    for using the forums.

Tim
    But if they charge for the forums, the only people here will be people serious about their Blackberries and trolls who havenothing better to spend their money on.
    08-07-11 04:33 PM
    What popups? What ads?
    08-07-11 05:18 PM
    I do not want to buy any Toshiba laptops or anything else.

08-07-11 11:35 PM
    I haven't gotten any popups. When did they start?
    08-07-11 11:40 PM
    several forums have this style now. I would sadly say get used to it since many places used them. I dont like it either but they dont happen all the time. its like 1 time per day or so.
    08-07-11 11:53 PM
    any1 using chrome get these? i know i don't and never have.
    08-08-11 12:31 AM
    I'm using Firefox Beta 6 with Adblock Plus and I don't see any advertisements at all.
    08-08-11 12:34 AM
    I installed Adblock Plus as a Firefox extension and installed Adblock Plus beta as a Chrome extension.
    08-08-11 01:31 AM
    I concur. I got hit with a side-scrolling floating ad and a popup within 10 seconds of logging on this morning. This is inexcusable. The era of juvenile pop-up ads is long gone. Surely there are other ways to get revenue for a site with 3M+ users other than force-feeding obstacle advertisements to us. Smartphone Experts should know their audience better than that. We deserve better. If they want to drive more sales, competitive pricing would be an excellent start.
    08-08-11 05:26 AM
    Too bad we could not adblock the theme posts. Just went through about 30 posts for some Theme. What a waste of "New Posts"...
    08-08-11 07:11 AM
    adblock plus on my firefox, never see it on the desktop. the tablet, however, shows that stuff and I wont go here using that anymore if i can help it.
    08-08-11 07:16 AM
    I agree with the previous posters. The last thing I need is annoying pop-ups. I, too, avoid sites that have that junk.
    +1 the crap in the top banner is annying enough as it is

Too bad we could not adblock the theme posts. Just went through about 30 posts for some Theme. What a waste of "New Posts"...
    Those are beyond ridiculous. Why does the same theme have to be posted in the 9650, 9700 and 9780 theme forums (in addition to the other models)? We get it.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-08-11 at 07:35 AM.
    08-08-11 07:29 AM
    I put up with banners, side Flash ads, embedded google links. But I draw the line with ads that pop up when I go to a site. That's where I draw the line. I've stopped going to a number of sites because these are way too in-your-face and completely suckify the whole site experience for me.

Lose the popups and I promise to buy more product. ok?
    I agree! If the ads continue for another week I will be Crackberry Free. Worst part about the ads is BestBuy is horrible in my town of displaying and even caring about the Playbook product. Two units displayed and neither work and when I pointed out that the charger they were using is not correct they looked at me crazy.
    08-08-11 07:40 AM
    Here's my example. I have FF5 at home, and I see them, 3.6 at work and I see them.

FF4 3.6.18 (at work)
    08-08-11 08:55 AM
    any1 using chrome get these? i know i don't and never have.
    that is what i am using and yes they will still pop up
    08-08-11 10:14 AM
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for sounding out here....

I've reached out to our ad partner and we're going to have the Best Buy pop up campaign halted for now on CrackBerry and the other sites.

For future reference and better understanding, here's some background info on it:

a) Smartphone Experts works with a third party company, NetShelter Technologies, to manage our on site advertising. They're very well known in the space, and work with a bunch of publishers in the mobile and tech field. So if you see something like this hit CrackBerry, it's not "crackberry" doing it, but it's a campaign that's coming through NetShelter. Sometimes we have good awareness of the upcoming campaigns happening on the sites (in the case where an advertiser wants to do something really targeted), and other times we just get the ads that are getting served up around the network. That's why you'll see a lot of similar types of ads running across similar types of tech sites, etc.. NetShelter is working to provide value to the advertiser - that doesn't just come from "spamming" site visitors as that's a short term thing, so they do a lot of creative stuff that I think is pretty cool from a visitor perspective. At the same time, some of the advertisers that they deal with just want to run their campaigns and know what they want to run - and that's where something like this popup campaign might show up.

b) In regards to ads like the pop up one in question (what I'll dub the "annoying" ads), they are set to only show up once per day per visitor per IP address. So if you visit crackberry on your computer, you'll only get it once in 24 hours. However if you visit on another computer (say at work, etc.) you'd see it again. Personally, I don't think once per day is that bad. Obviously some of you guys do. Advertising on the internet is a reality these days. Personally I kind of look at good ad campaigns as a sign of success of a website. Little sites don't get the big ad campaigns - successful ones do (I think it was a few weeks ago that NYtimes (or was it WSJ?) completely flipped their site design colors to all Black for a BlackBerry campaign. I thought it was crazy awesome). But I guess that's me being a fan of advertising.

c) We get that there's a fine line between effective advertising and advertising that's annoying. We've always given NetShelter our direction that we prefer to error on the conservative side (which means we make less money, but there's less threads like this in the forums). You guys might get mad at us for running some ads, but lol, you should be thanking us for a lot of the ones we haven't run

d) Regarding this campaign, so far it only served up 9,000 impressions, so not too many. Also, for those of you wondering why you haven't seen it, note that it all depends where you're located. This on is only in the US i think, so Canadians and those international won't see it.

Hope that helps explain things a bit. I can't guarantee we'll never serve up an ad that some of you find annoying (ads are going to get served up and like I said, we don't have total control over it), but I promise we'll continue to work with our advertising partners and our community here to make sure things are at a happy balance. We always take a long term approach. Short term gains at the expense of long term profitability is never a good approach.

Keep Crack'n!

Kevin
    08-08-11 04:53 PM
    And another update... just talking to our ad publisher...

Going to work towards implementing new ad code that has a variable within it... will allow us to serve different ads to members than to logged out visitors.

I'm thinking this will be the holy grail of happy balance here. We'll be able to ensure regular members never get hit up with "annoying" ads, yet we'll still be able to run some of the more aggressive campaigns if/when we need to for logged out visitors. One more reason to join!

Stay tuned....
    Laura Knotek, pkcable and rrrebo like this.
    08-08-11 05:13 PM
    As most people do not have a static IPs the ads based on the IP once a day thing will not work if the ISP rotates the persons IP on their dynamic IP.

Charge $5 a person to join the forums. Then no ads for them period.

Many other forums have done this with great results, both on the bottom line and in filtering out the pests.

PS, I have never clicked on a popup nor bought anything because of a popup.
    It also seem odd that since you have an online store that you would want to advertise
    a competitor? Like the Droid ads on the Crackberry site. It just doesn't sit well.

Tim
    08-08-11 06:27 PM
    As most people do not have a static IPs the ads based on the IP once a day thing will not work if the ISP rotates the persons IP on their dynamic IP.

Charge $5 a person to join the forums. Then no ads for them period.

Many other forums have done this with great results, both on the bottom line and in filtering out the pests.

PS, I have never clicked on a popup nor bought anything because of a popup.
    It also seem odd that since you have an online store that you would want to advertise
    a competitor? Like the Droid ads on the Crackberry site. It just doesn't sit well.

Tim
    you have to remember that most ads are driven by your websurfing these days. If you are seeing droid adds then you have probably either searched or visited droid sites. Every search you do will build up in a database for better serving what ads you see.
    08-08-11 06:46 PM
    Charge $5 a person to join the forums
    Whaaaa....????
    08-08-11 07:51 PM
    And another update... just talking to our ad publisher...

Going to work towards implementing new ad code that has a variable within it... will allow us to serve different ads to members than to logged out visitors.

I'm thinking this will be the holy grail of happy balance here. We'll be able to ensure regular members never get hit up with "annoying" ads, yet we'll still be able to run some of the more aggressive campaigns if/when we need to for logged out visitors. One more reason to join!

Stay tuned....
    I like this plan. Several other sites similar to this one use that approach. I never saw pop up ads or ads at the side when I am logged in.
    08-08-11 09:26 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD