I have the tool "ghostery" installed on Firefox, and I was astonished to see how many trackers that CrackBerry has going on:

Mobile Nations: "Excessive" use of trackers causes CrackBerry performance to suffer?-crackberry_ghostery.png

Is it possibly time for Mobile Nations to do a review of the scope of the trackers they have implemented? First, while it may bring revenue to Mobile Nations, it's not very "user friendly": it adds to the bandwidth used by CrackBerry.com visitors and can introduce performance problems.

This may be the way the internet works now, but I think it's important for Mobile Nations to know that users DO pay attention to these things: I get that websites have expenses and need to be able to make money, but there is a line that can be crossed in terms of how MUCH tracking and how much of a performance hit that imposes on users, and I am wondering if maybe, just maybe, Mobile Nations has a toe or two over that line.
    The Aficionado likes this.
    05-25-15 10:43 AM
    The crackberry website sucks. Takes forever to load all the elements and is just mumbled up with no clarity and no flow.
    I just use the app.
    Seeing all those trackers though, I guess it makes sense the site is slow as fk
    05-25-15 10:51 AM
    The site is pretty bad, on Mobile is just awful, my Symbian phones refuse to load it, just crash, even my BB10 struggles
    05-25-15 10:55 AM
    I have the ghostery browser on my nexus 6. I just went to crackberry on it and it blocked 28 trackers. That's a lot. Most sites i go to block in the single digits to ten.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-25-15 10:56 AM
    Yeah I find cb painful to visit. Especially with the new video ads that just start playing on their own

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    05-25-15 11:04 AM
    Yeah I find cb painful to visit. Especially with the new video ads that just start playing on their own.
    The advertisers keep chipping away at "common decency" w.r.t. automatically playing video with loud audio without consent and it's not just on CrackBerry of course... but it's the kind of thing that's going to make Ghostery grow in popularity as more and more people try to take back control over their own browsers... and the response will be that Websites restructure themselves to "just not work" a-la the early 'naughties' "You don't have JavaScript enabled" messages you'd see all the time... now it's going towards "you aren't letting us turn on your bedroom webcam and take a urine sample".

For the time being CrackBerry works OK with Ghostery inabled, but I wonder how long that will be true.
    05-25-15 11:18 AM
    Wanted to jump in here real quick and leave a few comments.

First and foremost, thank you for all the feedback on this. I can assure you that this issue is an extremely important one for our us, and that list of trackers you see is something we're chipping away at as we move forward.

Second, keep in mind that every single one of the trackers you see in that list is there for a reason. Some are there to help us make money (of course), others are there to help us study what works and what doesn't work, and others still are there to let us know when we are having server issues (it happens).

Third, trust me when I say your voices have been heard. Site performance is something we take very seriously, but unfortunately we can't simply flick a switch to make things better. It's a slow and steady process, which is why I really appreciate your feedback on issues like this, always.

If you have any additional feedback or think you have specific action items that would be useful for our tech team, I encourage you to reach out to me direct. My contact details are below, and I'm available 24/7.

Thanks all!
    pkcable, TLD1, Uzi and 3 others like this.
    05-26-15 10:25 AM
    Yeah I find cb painful to visit.

Posted via CB10
    Me too!! I thought it was my computer. Just typing this sentence is slooooow...
    I regularly get "Crackberry.com is not responding"
    05-26-15 05:57 PM
    Wanted to jump in here real quick and leave a few comments.

First and foremost, thank you for all the feedback on this. I can assure you that this issue is an extremely important one for our us, and that list of trackers you see is something we're chipping away at as we move forward
    We scare because we care, James :-) thanks for paying attention.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 10:58 AM
    I agree, it's always 'fun' to watch the lower left corner bar of my Firefox run through all the stuff that's loading.

It's a pretty busy/heavy site though, so I would have nightmares at the thought of 're-doing it'.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 11:08 AM