I am beside myself every day when I come to CB and see the same exact threads started about topics that have been discussed time and time again. Do you feel that you will not get personalized help if you don't start your own thread? Simply posting in a thread about your topic, or even just reading that thread should give you an ample amount of answeres for the problems you are having.

Why clutter up the Bold 9700 forum with useless threads over and over when all we have to do it just take a few seconds to see if someone else has already talked about the same problem you are already having. In most cases you cannot be the only person with a whobbly trackpad, or dust collecting in seams, or your text messages not showing up names, just read people!

I don't know about anyone else but I do like to see new threads with new topics, but having to skim over the same old threads is getting a little old, just do us all a favor and stop posting multiple threads on the same topic.
    12-03-09 08:04 AM
    agreed. Always make it a point to search first, then if you cant find it, ask.
    12-03-09 08:55 AM
    Amen! This thread totally won't help though. This has always been an issue with forums/message boards, which is why I usually stay away from them. Honestly, I've been coming to CB forums less and less lately because I'm sick of weeding through redundant crap.
    12-03-09 11:01 AM
    There are people that are constantly arriving to the forums. Some are just getting a BlackBerry for the first time, and barely have a clue, much less an idea, that a site search is possible.

No forum is going to be perfect. Many just post a thread because they need help most ricky-tick.

You have a choice, help, or leave it for someone who will.

Oh, by the way, threads complaining about people who don't do a search also are very redundant, and almost as annoying as people who are being complained about.

I'm just say'n.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-03-09 at 11:11 AM.
    12-03-09 11:08 AM
    Beside yourself? Really?

Sure, it's somewhat annoying, but is it really so hard to find what you're looking for despite redundant threads? After all, you're familiar enough with the search function to be able to quickly find what you need without "weeding through the clutter".

In all honesty, this has been prevalent since the beginning of forums, and your rant will do nothing to change that culture. I accepted that a long time ago, and once you do, it really won't be all that aggravating anymore.
    12-03-09 11:11 AM
    In all honesty, this has been prevalent since the beginning of forums, and your rant will do nothing to change that culture. I accepted that a long time ago, and once you do, it really won't be all that aggravating anymore.
    Well said!!!

And take a look at this thread even the founder of CB doesn't mind it, so it will never change. Either accept it, or move along

http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/cra...lution-118095/
    12-03-09 11:42 AM
    Beside yourself? Really?

Sure, it's somewhat annoying, but is it really so hard to find what you're looking for despite redundant threads? After all, you're familiar enough with the search function to be able to quickly find what you need without "weeding through the clutter".

This is more of a problem with the administrator (i will probably get slapped for this but it needs to be said).

If the forum administrators did their job and made sure people were well informed and told they had to use the search before posting then this problem would not exist.

I visit many car related forums and most of them are very well administered and there IS NOT a lot of multiple threads on the some subject. In fact if a forum member does post a thread on a subject that is already under discussion then the administrator sends them as note about the search policy and give them one free ride. If they continue to not follow the search rules then they are sent a message and penalized a few points then with each infraction of the same rule the points penalized go up and when you get to 100 points you are denied posting privileges for a period of time.

So okay on this forum it there are many people that come to find out one little bit of information but if they are forced to search before posting for their first say 10 posts then that would greatly reduce the number of threads on the same subject.

Also the administrators need to combine threads of the same subject so that it is easier to find the correct answers to many questions.
    12-03-09 03:11 PM
    Threads like this complaining about people not searching already exist....
    how is that for irony?

I am going to start a twitter app thread because its been two weeks I think without one.
    12-03-09 03:19 PM
    This is more of a problem with the administrator (i will probably get slapped for this but it needs to be said).

If the forum administrators did their job and made sure people were well informed and told they had to use the search before posting then this problem would not exist.

I visit many car related forums and most of them are very well administered and there IS NOT a lot of multiple threads on the some subject. In fact if a forum member does post a thread on a subject that is already under discussion then the administrator sends them as note about the search policy and give them one free ride. If they continue to not follow the search rules then they are sent a message and penalized a few points then with each infraction of the same rule the points penalized go up and when you get to 100 points you are denied posting privileges for a period of time.

So okay on this forum it there are many people that come to find out one little bit of information but if they are forced to search before posting for their first say 10 posts then that would greatly reduce the number of threads on the same subject.

Also the administrators need to combine threads of the same subject so that it is easier to find the correct answers to many questions.

ID also be willing to bet that the forums you visit dont have as many registered users and there for less of a problem
    12-03-09 03:22 PM
    It is interesting that this thread was created, apparently without the OP having bothered to search for one of the many redundant posts on this subject. He must have needed help immediately, or not be familiar with the site and the search function. We will let this be his free ride, as was so generously suggested.

Seriously, there are no plans to implement any requirement to search before posting, nor are there any plans to penalize members for asking redundant questions. As another poster stated, many new members have only the vaguest idea what they need, and no idea how to search for it. The preferred response to such a question is to post the answer along with instructions for how to search for more information. That way the member gets his or her immediate question answered, learns about the search tool, and is welcomed to CrackBerry, not turned away empty.

We will take Moderator action when necessary against anyone who is harassing a member for not searching before posting.

On the other question about merging redundant threads: We do not merge redundant threads as a general rule because the merge is purely chronological. When several threads are interleaved, utter confusion results. We don't do it.
    12-03-09 03:50 PM
    Jeff,
    I called him out on it too!!! give me some credit LOL
    12-03-09 03:51 PM
    One of the big problems is that search for common keywords often produces a huge number of hits, and 50% of them are threads filled with harassing posts from the usual suspects, saying "Use search you moron". It takes experience to learn how to use the forums effectively - experience only gained by trial and error, and the harassment faced by new members will discourage them from getting that experience.

If we're going to act on anything the first project will be to get the unfriendly harassers under control
    12-03-09 04:10 PM
    Please post in the existing threads on this topic.

Forced to search before allowed to post new thread
    Search your question before you post!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f34/new...issues-324306/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ry-com-273629/

You have to provide links to get credit, Tony.

Thread moved from 9700 to the appropriate forum, Site Questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD