Unless it's tether. Post about warez, you're banned. Post about cracking an app, suspension. Illegal downloads, thread deleted!

But you want free internet off your data plan, tetherberry! I am really struggling with the double standard used by mods on this subject. A poster clearly asks about "free" tethering on VZW (or another carrier that normally charges for it) and the mods suggest (or stand by while others suggest) tether. I am not trying to play holy-er than thou, just looking for an explanation. Exactly how is tetherberry (when used on vzw or any other carrier that wants to charge for tether) any different than warez or cracking apps? All three violate the TOS of the makers of the product/service.

Discuss.
    01-24-11 11:52 AM
    A lot of times hosting providers themselves are the ones that put the bans on warez and illegal downloads. Look in to it. Because a lot of times, things such as those are determined by a higher power.
    01-24-11 11:55 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/free...kberry-578567/

Is this the thread in question?

01-24-11 11:58 AM
    Reed, no it is not. I am citing the threads where VZW users (that is the only carrier whose TOS I am familiar with but I am sure there are others) clearly ask for instructions on using tether. VZW + tether (without paying the VZW monthly fee) = stealing. I am on my way out the door right now but I will search for a few of the threads I am referring to later today if I have time.
    01-24-11 12:08 PM
    Here are some examples I brought up with a quick search. Some of these may be old but are examples none-the-less. I couldn't find the one that made me really want to post this. Maybe I will search later when I have more time. It was a far more glaring example. But at least one of the examples listed below actually uses the word "hack" when referring to tether on Verizon.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/so-...r-free-187914/

Start on post #5 or 6
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/eas...rberry-451420/

Start on post #8
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/tet...nt-free-93358/
    01-24-11 02:11 PM
    The reason for this is due to the extortionate charges made by some providers. For example I believe O2 UK charge �12.50 per 500MB that you want to share with tethered devices (you pay �5 per 500MB for your phone only)...
    01-24-11 05:29 PM
    So you justify theft by reasoning that a company's profit margin is too high? I see it so clearly now! *rolls eyes*

If I don't like the price I look for the product elsewhere, I don't just throw it in my pocket when nobody is looking and walk out of the store...
    01-24-11 05:43 PM
    I guess there is a double standard of sorts. Evidently stickin it to the man is encouraged and taking bread from the developers table is taboo. The op is valid, stealing is stealing regardless of the degree or the victim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 08:42 PM
    So you justify theft by reasoning that a company's profit margin is too high? I see it so clearly now! *rolls eyes*

If I don't like the price I look for the product elsewhere, I don't just throw it in my pocket when nobody is looking and walk out of the store...
    I'm not saying I personally justify it, but yes, it does tend to be the case here... btw, every phone company in the UK does something very similar, so I'm guessing your response is move away from the UK where it doesn't happen and then die because I can't look after myself? For the record, I don't actually tether myself.
    01-25-11 03:07 AM
    Tethering and access to the internet is NOT a right. It is a privileged. If you can afford it, great. If you can't, you look for a provider that you can afford or you go without. Dial up sucks, internet cafes suck, but if that's all you can afford then that's all you can have.

If you really want to travel across the country here in the US it is fast and very simple to fly. At the same time a plane ticket is very expensive. Many folks can't afford a ticket, even on a third rate airline. What do they do? DRIVE! And if you can't afford driving then hitchhike. If those options are not appealing to you then guess what...you stay home.

Everybody can't have everything all the time. Stealing is stealing despite what anyone perceives as his or her "options". No matter the situation you always have the option to do the right thing.

Also curious to hear back from the mods on this...

Found the one I was really looking for!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/tet...ry-app-572372/
    Last edited by kyroguy; 01-25-11 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added link
    01-25-11 09:56 AM
    I guess RIM condones "stealing" then too huh? https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/5022
    01-25-11 10:12 AM
    I don't think RIM's intention of selling tether is to circumvent a certain carriers TOS. Which is exactly the intent of the posters in the threads I linked to. And I sense your tone when you put "stealing" in quotation marks. I have been very careful to explain that tether can be used legally. It may make the experience of tethering easier for someone that has that feature included in their data plan and for them I say go for it! So RIM is well within their rights to sell tether. I would guess (without reading all the way through it) that in fact the TOS of the tether app itself says that it shouldn't be used to get around a carriers fee for service.

I am asking for a simple explanation of how the mods feel tether is different from warez, etc and thus don't lock threads that are directly asking how to get around TOS. So far in response to my request I have gotten my question moved the bottom of the forums page where it gets no traffic and another answer with condescending tone. I don't need either, just a simple one sentence justification of why they are different.

So...
    01-25-11 10:22 AM
    I guess RIM condones "stealing" then too huh? https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/5022
    Is it safe to assume that by putting the word stealing in quotes, you actually don't believe that it's stealing?
    01-25-11 10:57 AM
    Is it safe to assume that by putting the word stealing in quotes, you actually don't believe that it's stealing?
    I put it in quotes as I do not know the legality of it. I an not a lawyer nor have I read the tether TOS or carries TOS when it comes to tethering.

To kyroguy the moderators here are just volunteers and just follow the directives put forth by the management/administrators of the site. I will point Kevin to this thread to answer your question.
    01-25-11 11:22 AM
    (snipped) I will point Kevin to this thread to answer your question.
    Much appreciated.
    01-25-11 11:59 AM
    Need another example?

forums.crackberry.com/f145/tethering-580804/

01-30-11 05:26 PM
    Tether is a legal app, legally sold. If Verizon wanted to block its use by their customers, they could address the issue with the makers of Tether. As long as it's a legal app, I see no problem pointing people to it. If Verizon chooses to allow it to work, that's a Verizon issue. Verizon used to sell Tether in their online store. As far as I know, they no longer do so. That might be indicative of a changing mindset toward the app.
    01-30-11 05:37 PM
    I am on sprint with 9650. I pay for the UNLIMITED data plan,
    I'm technically using tether for data.
    Tether is just sharing the data.

01-30-11 06:17 PM
    @deathcommand, I don't know the rules on sprint, you may be well within your right to use tether without an additional fee.

@Jeff H, I have to respectfully disagree with you. While there is no debate that Tether is a "legal app, legally sold", that must be put into context. For example, I have a "legal" account here on crackberry. But if I were to start spamming the forums, in other words using my legal account illegally (against the forums TOS) I would undoubtedly suffer the consequences. For that matter the only thing that makes a key gen or warez illegal is that they violate the software authors TOS. I can alter linux all I want, it is open source. But I can't alter crackberry, an independent app or Verizons service or product because of restrictive TOS THAT I AGREED TO WHEN SIGNING UP!!!! If I were to try I would be in violation of the agreement that I made with the respective party, would I not? Additionally, if Verizon could block it don't you think they would? They obviously can't because it "tricks" the network about where the data use is coming from. Tether is a leak in Verizon's bucket, if they could plug it they wouldn't hesitate. (we can have all kinds of moral discussions about Verizons obscene profit margin and vigilante justice using the app but please, lets save that for another thread)

So, should I start using my legal account obtained legally to spam the forums...no. Should I grab a key gen and crack an app I don't want to pay for while justifying it because the app developer might make tons of money off of his overpriced app...no. Should a Verizon subscriber use tether without paying the monthly fee THEY AGREED TO when signing up for service...no.

Still waiting for a definitive answer on this...
    01-30-11 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD