I've noticed this for quite a while, but never posted the question: why are the forum search results so drastically different between the cb (pc) site and the cb (mobile) site (using the cb app on z10)? Oftentimes on the mobile site, the returns are nowhere close to the search question. Other times, the mobile site will give 1-2 search results compared to dozens on the pc site (same search questionentered).

Just frustratingly wondering....
    07-16-13 02:31 PM
    That is a good question. Maybe I can get a hold of someone that can give you a good answer.
    07-16-13 02:38 PM
    I think it's the way the search actually generates the query. On desktop there is a little more code involved, and there is things like custom google searches you can add to your site.

On mobile CB10 app, you can only query so much. If you tried to query the entire CB site forums database for a answer, well that could be a complete data hog.

Granted I understand what you mean, so possibly someone better knowledgeable can chime in, but above is my understanding of it from coding experience
    pkcable likes this.
    07-16-13 02:43 PM
    Straight from Kevin
    The issue is that the desktop site has two search engines. The main search box that is in the site header is powered by Google. So that's all Google results. Not based on vbulletin or forum data at all. However, on the desktop site... if you use the search box lower down the page in our "forum super nav"... that's the vbulletin results.

On the mobile site and app, we don't have the google search. Only using vbulletin search. So all he has to do on desktop is use the search box lower down the page and he will be good to go.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-16-13 02:56 PM
    Great work getting this answered guys!
    07-16-13 03:17 PM
    Thanks mods and Kevin, for answering so quickly. I compared the two using Kevin's suggestion of using the desktop vbulletin search at the bottom of the page, not the (Google "enhanced" - ha) search box at the top of the site. But I still get different results. For instance, if I enter the query "z10 battery suddenly depleted" on the mobile site, I get 1 return. On the desktop site, 154 returns. I realize I probably don't (always) want all 154 returns on my phone, but still...

Thanks again!
    07-16-13 03:20 PM