Very difficult to dial a number such as "1-800-call-me" with a blackberry keyboard. Does anyone know of an app which would help translate letters in a phone number to numbers?

TIA
    01-27-10 12:20 PM
    As far as I know you don't need an app to do that. I just dial 1-800 then hit shift to change it to letters instead of numbers and type out the word. This has always worked for me when dialing 1800-comcast for example.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 12:28 PM
    Wow- so simple-- I never knew

Thanks much!
    01-27-10 12:30 PM
    Blackberry's automatically do this for you if you dial the number like you just typed it. You shouldn't need a translator as the phone already knows. Am I missing something here?
    Nope, not missing anything. Anybody who sells you an app to do this is ripping you off.
    To anyone who needs help with this, see the thread in the How To section titled How to dial numbers like 1-800-BEST-BUY.
    01-27-10 12:31 PM
    As far as I know you don't need an app to do that. I just dial 1-800 then hit shift to change it to letters instead of numbers and type out the word. This has always worked for me when dialing 1800-comcast for example.

Actually, you need to hold down the alt key while dialing the letters.
    01-27-10 12:43 PM
    +1..........

there should be a forum that is read only called new to BB?
    and have all these little things listed.....(not the lecture series)
    Last edited by Tony Bag O Donuts; 01-27-10 at 10:48 PM.
    01-27-10 12:45 PM
    +1..........

there should be a forum that is read only called new to BB?
    and have all these little thinks listed.....(not the lecture series)
    That's an interesting suggestion. I'm going to move this thread to the Site Question and Bug Reporting Forum where the developers and managers are more likely to notice it.
    01-27-10 03:51 PM
    That's an interesting suggestion. I'm going to move this thread to the Site Question and Bug Reporting Forum where the developers and managers are more likely to notice it.
    Thanks.....
    I would put it together if it gets approved....members can pm suggestions, etc.
    01-27-10 03:55 PM
    There used to be button labeled "CrackBerry Newbies." We changed it to "BlackBerry Help" because Newbies seemed pejorative. If we had the ability to see button click statistics, I bet we'd find the only button clicked less often than the Search button would be the Help button...
    01-27-10 04:00 PM
    Yes, alt works. But so does shift, like I said. I tried it. :P I find shift easier to hit on my phone.

01-27-10 06:19 PM
    There used to be button labeled "CrackBerry Newbies." We changed it to "BlackBerry Help" because Newbies seemed pejorative. If we had the ability to see button click statistics, I bet we'd find the only button clicked less often than the Search button would be the Help button...
    say it ain't so!!!!! there is a search button on the forums?
    01-27-10 10:49 PM
    Yes, alt works. But so does shift, like I said. I tried it. :P I find shift easier to hit on my phone.

I guess it depends on the phone then, butcause shift doesn't work on my Bold 9700. I tried it.
    01-28-10 08:45 AM
    If you have the BlackBerry with the full qwerty keyboard, then you don't need an app for that. To type letters in a phone number, just press the "alt" key before each letter that your gonna press. Then it will display "1-800-CALL ME". Just press send and the BlackBerry automatically changes the letters into the numbers that are found on a regular phone.

02-01-10 08:27 AM
    Very difficult to dial a number such as "1-800-call-me" with a blackberry keyboard. Does anyone know of an app which would help translate letters in a phone number to numbers?

TIA
    Try typing 1800, then press the ALT Key and then the Left SHIFT Key (this will lock the keyboard to recognize the letters) then type out 'callme' and press Send. This also works for those company phone systems that you may call that ask you to "type in the last name of the party you are trying to reach".

02-01-10 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD