I have noticed some very aggressive moderation tonight, that actually has me irked enough that I am posting this

has there been a new mandate as to what is to get moderated out? I noticed a discussion that DID get slightly aggressive on 2 posters parts, but over all had some good conversation back and forward just disappear from a thread.

no warnings, no comments that it was being cleaned up, just gone.

Is this to be a new practice moving forward? is the moderation of crackberry to closer mirror those of other smartphone expert forums?
    10-23-11 10:46 PM
    Yeah.. Its not like I was calling the guy names or anything. I was just saying it irks me that he would say that the guy was being ignoreant or whatever, (I don't remember as the thread is now gone).

I mean I was telling him why some people stereotyped Mac Users as people who didn't work, because of their commercials and that was deleted.

I mean. If I was like, "Yo, Apple sucks!" I understand, but I didn't say that at all, I didn't even say iPhone sucked, or windows or anything.

Just trying to voice my concern.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 10-23-11 at 11:25 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-23-11 11:23 PM
    I also mentioned some of the drawbacks of Mac for business use, and mentioned that Microsoft Office is pretty much necessary for most business needs (and yes, there is MS Office for Macs). My post was also deleted, and I did not state anything that was remotely inflammatory.

I just pointed out that MS Office, not OpenOffice, LibreOffice, or NeoOffice are required.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-23-11 11:27 PM
    That wasn't the only thread I had noticed some aggressive and swift moderation, of the some 20 posts deleted from that thread I would have expected maybe 3 to have an Mod induced edit and warning given, but to wipe out 50% of a thread in which some good conversation had erupted very much was uncrackberry like.

I don't usually question moderation but 3 threads in the span of an hour I noticed posts disappear from that I did not see breaking any rules and it really irked me and had me worried of a change in direction of the way the forum is to be run.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-23-11 11:31 PM
    Now, what was wrong with the discussion of Windows 8, Linux, secure boot, Gnome/Xfce desktops?

Why not move the thread to Off-Topic rather than remove it completely?
    10-23-11 11:55 PM
    Now, what was wrong with the discussion of Windows 8, Linux, secure boot, Gnome/Xfce desktops?

Why not move the thread to Off-Topic rather than remove it completely?
    It was in fact moved to off topic...
    10-24-11 02:42 AM
    It was in fact moved to off topic...
    not before some excellent posts had been deleted first

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-11 05:33 AM
    Over the past week I have noticed my posts being deleted. No mention of why. In the midst of reading a thread I have seen posts disappear. It makes the thread almost unreadable, or at least hard to follow. If someone's post is deleted, at least make the effort to tell them why.

As far as I know there is no new moderation policy, just a few overzealous mods.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-24-11 at 05:39 AM.
    10-24-11 05:35 AM
    Over the past week I have noticed my posts being deleted. No mention of why. In the midst of reading a thread I have seen posts disappear. It makes the thread almost unreadable, or at least hard to follow. If someone's post is deleted, at least make the effort to tell them why.

As far as I know there is no new moderation policy, just a few overzealous mods.
    Nothing has changed - just a continued effort to keep the forums on track. We routinely delete any trolling, insults etc. and no explanation is needed in most cases. The mods are just doing what is expected of them to keep things in order. If at any time there is question on why a post or thread was removed the mod(s) will contact the OP to let him/her know the reason.
    Michelle Haag and John Yester like this.
    10-25-11 11:12 AM
    It is a tough balancing act. On the one hand some of the conversations have gotten crude and just hateful on the other it is a forum.
    I actually made a post to thank someone but referenced an app and a process and I got moved to tips and tricks. My mistake and I will be more careful on where I post.
    I agree with the poster that said sometimes people try to make it like iOS types don't work. Frankly, I have gotten frustrated with some of the people just trashing BlackBerry with things that are not even true and on those posts I've just gotten back against the person that uses iOS. But the whole thing is silly.
    I think we would all be happier if we stop knocking on every other device and just help fellow users and respect other peoples choices. I just ask that if you hate BlackBerry then don't post lies about it. I happen to love my BlackBerry and iPhone users love their iPhones.
    I think a strong response by the moderators will help clean things up a bit and the rest will be up to us.
    Just my view. This website is a great resource. Lets keep the attacks on other devices and their users out. If you are happy with your device, then you have the right device for you regardless of make.
    Go CrackBerry!
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-25-11 11:26 AM
    This is a valid discussion. Moderation, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes Mods do things for the very best of reasons and still upset posters.

Sometimes Mods (not only on CrackBerry) do seem a mite over-zealous but that may just be that they are simply reacting to a single post or a part thereof. Mods are people too and are just as entitled to be having a bad day as you or I.

Mods like all of us have varying degrees of knowledge (and humor) so they may move a thread or delete a post based upon their knowledge only. In another forum which does not permit advertising, I posted an ad and a link for "muffler bearings". I got my thread deleted and an official warning for breaking TOS. Once I explained to the lady mod concerned, and she had called her garage (yes, really) all was well.

Please do not be too hard on our CrackBerry Mods. They try hard and most of them are unpaid.

Like everything in life, we all just do our best. Sometimes this does not please everyone.
    10-25-11 11:46 AM
    I have a complaint. :/

What exactly warranted that the thread I made about not calling iPhones iToys to be closed?
    I mean sure we were posting about how I spelled EyeToy wrong but that could have easily been deleted without closing the thread.

Like, I make an AntiTrolling thread and it gets closed.

Wat.

10-31-11 08:55 AM

What exactly warranted that the thread I made about not calling iPhones iToys to be closed?
    I mean sure we were posting about how I spelled EyeToy wrong but that could have easily been deleted without closing the thread.

Wat.

Your question deserves an answer. However I am not sure that this is exactly the right place to be asking.

In all honesty you may get a faster and more relevant answer by sending a PM to " moderator ".

This will go to the moderator email and I am certain that someone will PM you back with an explanation.
    10-31-11 02:10 PM

Wat.

Shoot a PM to the Mod who closed it, and I'm sure she will explain. I can take a good guess. Most likely there were complaints, and the she evaluated the thread and determined it was either already causing too much flaming OR had the potential to cause more flaming (beyond what was complained about).

You are NOT in trouble for the thread, since you did not receive a PM warning. It's no big deal to have a post or a thread deleted by a mod. Even as a Mod, I once had Kevin himself delete one of my threads, and guess what???? I survived.

10-31-11 06:15 PM
    It has to be a difficult task sorting, moving, deleting and closing things around. Busy place.
    10-31-11 06:29 PM
    I posted a picture in a post once and it was immediately deleted. Nothing obscene or offensive but it was almost as soon as I posted it. Crazy...........

10-31-11 06:49 PM
    I posted a picture in a post once and it was immediately deleted. Nothing obscene or offensive but it was almost as soon as I posted it. Crazy...........

And you seem to have survived the experience unscathed!
    11-01-11 09:06 AM
    And you seem to have survived the experience unscathed!
    You should see the giant paper cut on his arm because of the event!! he can never wear a tshirt again!
    11-01-11 06:31 PM
    In another forum which does not permit advertising, I posted an ad and a link for "muffler bearings"
    Hey, can you hook me up with that link? My muffler's been making noise from the day I bought this car...

11-01-11 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD