Dear Forum members,

I have found something which is of interest to a lot of members.

for some odd reason the theread was BRUTALLY closed by the moderator.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

attached again. hope this time, the guy will get his senses back

You will love this.

I have just upgraded a Vodafone 9500 running 4.7.0.78 with the new unofficial VZW version 4.7.0.83. The STORM runs much better !!!!
    12-20-08 07:21 AM
    Ok I'm not trying to be rude, but as I said in my PM, what you said DOES NOT WORK. If you look at your screenshot or your device you will see your device is on Platform .98. If you were on OS .83 your Platform would be on .105. Again this method DOES NOT WORK. YOU CANNOT INSTALL THE 9530 OS TO THE 9500.
    12-20-08 07:23 AM
    Here is the files extension for 4.7.0.83 9500AllLang_PBr4.7.0_rel118_Pl4.0.0.105_A4.7.0.83

You will see the PLATFORM # is 4.0.0.105

Now heres your screen shot. You'll see that though it says .83 your platform hasn't changed thus YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY RUNNING .83

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 12-20-08 at 07:32 AM.
    12-20-08 07:29 AM
    the reason the platform hasnt changed is because i did not (and cannot use) the content in the CDMA folder (that's unique for the 9530).

The WHOLE application suit is now .83 and it is running perfectly on the 9500 platform (.98).

my point is that you can get the benefit of any changes made to the applications residing in the Java folder.
    12-20-08 07:35 AM
    the reason the platform hasnt changed is because i did not (and cannot use) the content in the CDMA folder (that's unique for the 9530).

The WHOLE application suit is now .83 and it is running perfectly on the 9500 platform (.98).

my point is that you can get the benefit of any changes made to the applications residing in the Java folder.
    No, if the Platform does not change, then you haven't upgraded. I work with BlackBerry's every day, it's my job.

Again, if the Platform does not change, then you are seeing none of the benefits that the OS has to offer because although it says .83, you're on the same Platform as .78. You can't truly run .83 unless you're on the Platform in which it's designed to run on.

Edit: The changes made to the OS have nothing to do with the Java folder.
    12-20-08 07:39 AM
    ok. I trust you are the expert

will revert to full .78
    12-20-08 07:45 AM
    ok. I trust you are the expert

will revert to full .78
    Listen, I'm not trying to be rude. I swear. I just don't want people thinking this is possible again. there was a thread a while back, and I had to de-bunk it then.

I know it's misleading when you see that .83 in applications. But the truth of the matter is without upgrading the Platform in which the device is running you can't truly upgrade the device itself.
    12-20-08 07:47 AM
    Listen, I'm not trying to be rude. I swear. I just don't want people thinking this is possible again. there was a thread a while back, and I had to de-bunk it then.

I know it's misleading when you see that .83 in applications. But the truth of the matter is without upgrading the Platform in which the device is running you can't truly upgrade the device itself.
    ok. as said i am going back to .78

I have a lot of experience with the BB OS, since I work for an operator.

As much as I know, the installation files are built of two components: System software (the platform) which is in the CDMA folder (and that is different for 9530 and 9500) and the CORE APPLICATION Modules that reside in the JAVA folder. the Java folder modules are IDENTICAL for the 9500, 9530 and RIM maintains JUST ONE VERSION for them. The difference in the devices is ONLY with the Platform (CDMA folder).

What I have done, was using the 9530 updated CORE APPLICATIONS with the 9500 Platform.that is working and you are gainig all bug fixes that have been performed with the CORE APPLICATION Modules.

But again, I respect your view and therefor I will not recommend doing that for people that dont understand what they are doing. enough said.
    12-20-08 08:07 AM
    ok. as said i am going back to .78

I have a lot of experience with the BB OS, since I work for an operator.

As much as I know, the installation files are built of two components: System software (the platform) which is in the CDMA folder (and that is different for 9530 and 9500) and the CORE APPLICATION Modules that reside in the JAVA folder. the Java folder modules are IDENTICAL for the 9500, 9530 and RIM maintains JUST ONE VERSION for them. The difference in the devices is ONLY with the Platform (CDMA folder).

What I have done, was using the 9530 updated CORE APPLICATIONS with the 9500 Platform.that is working and you are gainig all bug fixes that have been performed with the CORE APPLICATION Modules.

But again, I respect your view and therefor I will not recommend doing that for people that dont understand what they are doing. enough said.
    Respectfully, you might work for an operator, that does not mean you have a degree in computer science nor does it mean you are familiar with the JVM or J2ME and the BlackBerry Platform itself.

you cannot upgrade one with out the other. Bottom line. I'm not going to sit here and explain how the process works. But it's is simply impossible to install the 9530's OS onto the 9500. Thus why theres an OS for both models.
    12-20-08 08:15 AM
    It's like putting gasoline in a car that was made for diesel fuel!!! Big no no!
    12-20-08 09:35 AM
    i smell a Pay Per View Main Event coming! lol

Take him down CX.
    12-20-08 09:51 AM
    and with that being said, the 9500 OS seems more stable? haven't had lots of 9500 users complaining.
    12-20-08 10:18 AM
    Seriously?...

As clearly stated you are posting misinfo, it was misinfo to start with and is STILL misinfo. Your post has been edited to remove the steps and shall stay here as reminder of what NOT to do, considering I'm sure many people have already read the misleading info.

Consider the misinforming posts closed.
    12-20-08 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD