Hey, is my credit card info safe in the CrackBerry App Store when/if I buy an App from my phone? I don't have PayPal so this seems like a better way for me to buy apps. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 04:36 PM
    Over 3 million members on this forum. Yeah, I think it's safe.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfaneseô, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

03-31-10 04:40 PM
    My credit card has been used many times in the app store without a single concern to date. No reason to be concerned seems to me.

03-31-10 05:36 PM
    I've bought 3 diff apps with a card and no problems

03-31-10 08:19 PM
    I can't count how many times I've used my card in there whether for apps, themes, or accessories. I think you're safe

03-31-10 08:37 PM
    I have bought a few apps from here, no problem at all
    03-31-10 09:03 PM
    Thank you all! My mind has been put at ease...Cheers

03-31-10 11:27 PM
    I made the mistake of believing the folks at crackberry.com when they said credit card information would be safe, but it is not safe. They will charge your account for an app & then send you an email saying they need to "verify the account" and please send you phone number so they can contact you for verification in the next 15 minutes. After you respond with your phone number, the customer support people disappear, along with the money they withdrew from your account. Leaving you with no apps, a debit on your account, and no way to contact anyone for customer support.

I've clicked the customer support links on my desktop & keep getting asked to log in, even when I am logged in. I log in, get taken back to the my account page, click contact customer support, and get asked to log in again. If I log in again, I go right back to my account, click contact customer support & up comes the log in screen to start the whole cycle all over again. DO NOT give them your credit card info. Be smart & safe & only do business with reputable sites who use secure payment methods, such as paypal,
    04-02-10 08:37 AM
    Hi cannedoscar74,

MobiHand handles the transactions you made via the Crackberry Mobile AppStore. We received your two orders yesterday, and a third order today. The two orders were processed right away, but the third triggered a fraud check, so you received the "pending" email. (We have a variety of fraud checks, to assure the safety of our customers, but as I'm sure you'll understand, there's always a balancing act between security and convenience.)

We generally process pending orders within 15 minutes, but in the wee hours (US time), as with this order, there is sometimes a longer delay - sorry for the inconvenience!

About your login issue, we haven't seen this problem before, and our DevTeam is trying to reproduce this issue. Our Support team will touch base with you for more info on your experience.

About the security of our transactions, we've been doing this for about five years, and millions of customers trust us with their credit card transactions. I hope this explanation (and follow-up from our Support staff) will allay your concerns.

Best,
    -David
    Last edited by mobihand-david; 04-02-10 at 11:23 AM. Reason: clarification
    04-02-10 11:14 AM
    Hello mobihand-david:

I am sorry that our business relationship has ended. While your support staff has contacted me & finally resolved this issue by delivering the goods you took payment for more than 12 hours ago, your response insure I will no longer do business with crackberry.com

You emailed me & assured me that it would be validated & processed within 15 minutes. The time limit was set by your staff & policies, not by my impatience. When you failed to carry out your own terms, you blamed it on the timing of the transaction, despite that all your advertising banners laud your 24/7 customer service. You failed to show that you can be trusted to carry out what you say you will do, so how can anyone be expected to trust you to protect sensitive financial data.

While your support staff finally solved the problem it was too little too late. I didn't receive my download until much later than you assured me I would & it was after having to go through the trouble of canceling the card you have on file & requesting a new one as your lack of communication to that point made it clear that the odds were better than even that you had compromised my account.

No one should divulge a credit card number to a website, especially when much more secure methods of payment are available. One has to wonder why any business would choose to ask for your credit card information when they can protect themselves & you by using safer methods.
    04-02-10 03:02 PM
    Hey, is my credit card info safe in the CrackBerry App Store when/if I buy an App from my phone? I don't have PayPal so this seems like a better way for me to buy apps. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

As a general guide you are usually safe from fraud when using your card if all of the following are True:

* You selected the supplier and decided to pay by card.
    * You found the website by your own knowledge and efforts, not following a link from an untrusted source (spam)
    * The website has physical contact info for the company behind the store. (e.g a street address which can be verified in case of doubt).
    * The supplier has a reputation and history (peer support) or is "well known" as a genuine business (e.g. Amazon.com).
    * The supplier is located somewhere you trust the legal system.

Finally: (and never pay through a page which doesn't have this)
    * The card payment part of the site MUST use HTTPS and show the CLOSED LOCK symbol in your browser. If you click you will be able to see the verification of the site's identity and traceability of the security certificates. That means you have verified that you are connected to a genuine "Secure Site" and card details are encrypted during transmission.

(The crackberry store passes all these tests)

It doesn't mean that a site is unacceptable if it does not meet all these conditions, but you should exercise more caution and consider the risk.
    04-02-10 03:14 PM
    Let me reiterate. While there are some general rules that usually apply to protect yourself from fraud & misuse, credit card companies & banks that issue debit cards have no guarantees to reverse the charges if fraud occurs. Unlike other verified secure payment methods.

Anyone who bends over backwards to make it seem like they are a 100% secure is suspect. And anyone who refuses to admit they made a simple mistake should be considered highly suspect.
    04-02-10 05:12 PM
    So, according to a question here in the crackberry forums on 03-12-2010 you can use paypal. See the post, "can I use paypal" for the answer, which came from a forums moderator, and stated: "Yes, the CrackBerry AppStore/Mobihand supports paypal. When you go through the check out process you will have the option to use paypal for payment."

Again, more misinformation from crackberry.com, as I was never given the option to use paypal with my recent purchase. To make matters worse I will never install the download, because this site has become so untrustworthy that I am afraid I will probably get a virus or some other piece of malware from files downloaded through here. Thanks a whole lot crackberry, now I have to pay a second time to download the file from a trusted source.
    04-02-10 06:48 PM
    I made the mistake of believing the folks at crackberry.com when they said credit card information would be safe, but it is not safe. They will charge your account for an app & then send you an email saying they need to "verify the account" and please send you phone number so they can contact you for verification in the next 15 minutes. After you respond with your phone number, the customer support people disappear, along with the money they withdrew from your account. Leaving you with no apps, a debit on your account, and no way to contact anyone for customer support.

I've clicked the customer support links on my desktop & keep getting asked to log in, even when I am logged in. I log in, get taken back to the my account page, click contact customer support, and get asked to log in again. If I log in again, I go right back to my account, click contact customer support & up comes the log in screen to start the whole cycle all over again. DO NOT give them your credit card info. Be smart & safe & only do business with reputable sites who use secure payment methods, such as paypal,
    Same exact crap is happening to me, its my first order (and last) and its only .99 and they are doing this. Never deal with them again
    07-29-10 09:41 PM
    Hey guys you do realize that just b/c you're on a safe site does not mean you computer key inputs are safe.... Meaning yeah the site you typed your credit card number into may be safe, but a hacker/software can easily log every key you input into your keyboard, which will expose even the credit card number you typed into that safe website.
    07-30-10 10:43 AM
    Same exact crap is happening to me, its my first order (and last) and its only .99 and they are doing this. Never deal with them again
    I'm also having this issue as well.... Been a few hours and still no word from them. Why take payment if I'm not going to actually get my purchase? I'll just stick to the regular app store from now on, at least I know I'll get it when I pay for it. I was simply looking for an alternative, and would have been a good customer too as I tend to spend a lot of money on themes/games.
    10-09-10 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD