Number of times I have read an op asking a simple question instead of answering the op question one will say do a search or read a specific thread (that has tons of posts to get one question answered).
    There has been times when I search for something on here sometimes it gives me an invalid or can't be found page

I don't know about all of you but I come here on my blackberry. �Seaching� for something on a blackberry isn't as quick as on a computer.

I feel that I shouldn't ask any questions to get the response �search it for yourself this has been discussed� when one can easily answer a question as simple as the op question.

How many new users comes here a day? And how many threads and posts are there on this forum? A lot I am guessing. Is it to hard to answer questions that has been discussed in the past?

I'm not tring to make anybody who does that to new posters feel uncomfortable but imagine how one feels coming here new and confused asking a question to get a response basically saying �search it yourself�. How does that new poster feels? Welcoming? Or "guilty for asking"

I enjoy reading threads and reading questions (because you never know what will happen to your device)
    To read replies to questions that say do a search is not really helping the person who is in need of answers. I do admire the ones who takes a minute of their time to answer even if it has been discussed before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 09:32 AM
    Just do a search and you will find the answer to your thread topic question.

05-27-10 09:40 AM
    Not always true.

05-27-10 09:43 AM
    It gets frustrating when there are multiple posts on the very first page of the forum about a specific problem, and someone asks the same question. Or if there has been an ongoing issue with many posts about it and someone comes in without searching or looking around a little thinking that they have just discovered something for the very first time. It clutters up the board with hundreds of similar threads, making it hard to find any new information. Unfortunately, I don't think there will ever be a happy medium. I try to answer questions if I can. But I do get frustrated sometimes, and just close the window, instead of saying do a search. I do searches if I have a specific question, and usually find the answer. I do this on the computer and come here almost every day, so it is easier for me. I do understand it's not always the easiest thing to do from the berry though.
    05-27-10 10:03 AM
    It gets frustrating when there are multiple posts on the very first page of the forum about a specific problem, and someone asks the same question. Or if there has been an ongoing issue with many posts about it and someone comes in without searching or looking around a little thinking that they have just discovered something for the very first time. It clutters up the board with hundreds of similar threads, making it hard to find any new information. Unfortunately, I don't think there will ever be a happy medium. I try to answer questions if I can. But I do get frustrated sometimes, and just close the window, instead of saying do a search. I do searches if I have a specific question, and usually find the answer. I do this on the computer and come here almost every day, so it is easier for me. I do understand it's not always the easiest thing to do from the berry though.
    Agreed. It gets very frustrating when there is 6 threads with that same topic on the first page. The search function is very useful. It is usually faster to get the answer you want if you search it out instead of posting a new thread about it. Yes, it is easier for the op to just post a question rather than search but that is just laziness.
    05-27-10 10:34 AM
    I'm sure it does get frustrating but at the same time with a poster having problems with their device and them being new or wanting to get their problems solved quick instead of spending time reading and reading to find out that their question hasn't been answered or makes them more confused.
    It is frustrating on both sides. I can only imagine how I would feel if something goes wrong with my phone on top of a malfuntion or what ever the issue is to read post after post just to find an answer how much time that takes when it could of been answered in a moments time.

I understand what you are saying though like u said no happy medium

05-27-10 10:36 AM
    Agreed. It gets very frustrating when there is 6 threads with that same topic on the first page. The search function is very useful. It is usually faster to get the answer you want if you search it out instead of posting a new thread about it. Yes, it is easier for the op to just post a question rather than search but that is just laziness.
    Again that is not always true as I have stated in the OP. It isn't quicker on a phone. Again, as I said sometimes I get an invalid page. So how would you know if one did or didn't do a search? You are assuming one didn't do a search.
    When someone asks a question and some answers it with "search it yourself" takes the same amount of time in answering a simple question. That could be considered �laziness�.
    When someone is frustrated because of their phone is giving them trouble one is wanting their phone fix.
    Suppose something happens to your phone and you can't find the answer and you ask a question and someone gives you that same response do a search when it would of used the same amount of time to answer? I hope you won't ever be in such distressed.
    If one don't feel the need to answer because it has been discused and don't want to use that time then wouldn't it be �quicker� not to answer instead of giving the destressed poster more stress and say �do it yourself�???

05-27-10 11:24 AM
    i see nothing wrong with providing the OP a link (or five) to help answer their question. There's so much great information already available on CrackBerry it would be a shame NOT to point out this info to the newcomer. i've learned so much here just from reading threads!

i tend to always leave links for the OP. This way the OP can read what others have already learned. It helps cut back on repetitive threads, as well as showing the OP how to search. i'm always welcoming to newbs and posting links is a great way to help them. It is nice to also leave the OP a personal answer along with the links. That's how i do it anyway...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f19/sea...ghlight=search
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f19/for...ghlight=search
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f19/lea...ghlight=search

Most likely, after you've been here awhile you will understand why many members advise newbies to search.
    05-27-10 11:26 AM
    i see nothing wrong with providing the OP a link (or five) to help answer their question. There's so much great information already available on CrackBerry it would be a shame NOT to point out this info to the newcomer. i've learned so much here just ny reading threads!

i tend to always leave links for the OP. This way the OP can read what others have already learned. It helps cut back on repetitive threads as well as showing the OP how to search. i'm always welcoming to newbs and posting links is a great way to help them. It is nice to also leave the OP a personal answer along with the links. That's how i do it anyway...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f19/sea...ghlight=search
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f19/for...ghlight=search
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f19/lea...ghlight=search
    Links are good

05-27-10 11:36 AM
    It's essentially the same thing as telling the OP to search i've just gone a step further and done a quick search for them in hopes that next time they do it themselves.
    05-27-10 11:41 AM
    You will always get a response from a lot of users cause they have seen it all the time... But that doesn't give them the right to say that you should not have posted the question.

CrackBerry is a friendly forum where we try to allow as questions and suggestions be asked. Yes there is a time when the same thread exists( Users should see similar threads when they go to create one) This helps out a lot..

What people need to realize is they were new to the forum or BlackBerry back in the day as well... Just cause they know more then another person they should not talk them down...

I see it all the time and ask my self "If the person took the time to tell the person to search, why don't they help out by posting some links to help the user."

It's best for that user just to ignore the post and someone more helpful will come along and help answer the question.

We are all here to help and guide everyone.
    05-27-10 11:51 AM
    You will always get a response from a lot of users cause they have seen it all the time... But that doesn't give them the right to say that you should not have posted the question.

CrackBerry is a friendly forum where we try to allow as questions and suggestions be asked. Yes there is a time when the same thread exists( Users should see similar threads when they go to create one) This helps out a lot..

What people need to realize is they were new to the forum or BlackBerry back in the day as well... Just cause they know more then another person they should not talk them down...

I see it all the time and ask my self "If the person took the time to tell the person to search, why don't they help out by posting some links to help the user."

It's best for that user just to ignore the post and someone more helpful will come along and help answer the question.

We are all here to help and guide everyone.
    Exactly

05-27-10 12:03 PM
    Again that is not always true as I have stated in the OP. It isn't quicker on a phone. Again, as I said sometimes I get an invalid page. So how would you know if one did or didn't do a search? You are assuming one didn't do a search.
    When someone asks a question and some answers it with "search it yourself" takes the same amount of time in answering a simple question. That could be considered �laziness�.
    When someone is frustrated because of their phone is giving them trouble one is wanting their phone fix.
    Suppose something happens to your phone and you can't find the answer and you ask a question and someone gives you that same response do a search when it would of used the same amount of time to answer? I hope you won't ever be in such distressed.
    If one don't feel the need to answer because it has been discused and don't want to use that time then wouldn't it be �quicker� not to answer instead of giving the destressed poster more stress and say �do it yourself�???

I have been in need of answers for phone problems before and you know what I did about it? I SEARCHED!! Imagine that. I know it can be a difficult concept but it works! Just like when I was in school and needed to find something out about a specific subject. Whether it be on the computer or on my phone. I always come up with an answer also. I didn't agree that people should be rude to new comers about it. I just agreed that it is rather annoying to have 6 threads on the first page about the same thing all posted within a short time of each other. If those people would have looked first they would have found an answer and not had to post a whole new thread about it.
    05-27-10 02:26 PM
    @ FantasticPhotos...

A lot of forum members become all self righteous after their post count inflates a little. Just ignore em'. There are still a few people here who are willing to help instead of nitpick at you for off-setting their fragile social threshold. I think CB members need to be more patient and willing to help instead of telling people to "do a search". However, if the question has been answered 1,000 in that thread, then that's different.
    05-27-10 02:39 PM
    I agree with most above, it's usually easier to answer a question then it is to just say search. I think I've only started one thread since I've been a member, and it was a while ago. I do know though that now when you enter in a title it does a simple search for you.

So what I don't like is when people post a thread with a title of "Please Help" or "WTF is wrong with my phone." Most likely if they would have made a more descriptive title they would have got their answer right away. It would help us better help them too, and any new users who have the same question. This is why I usually skip over the threads that start with non-descriptive titles.

I think all were asking is that new members read and follow the rules that the moderators made. I know most of us don't like rules, but they are put in place to better assist all of us in learning and discussing the wonderful world of BlackBerry.

05-27-10 03:22 PM
    That's where a nudge from a mod comes in handy, I usually edit the title for them and post up the descriptive title rule.
    05-27-10 05:55 PM
    Exactly why i edited this threads' title and moved it!

05-27-10 06:28 PM
    I have been in need of answers for phone problems before and you know what I did about it? I SEARCHED!! Imagine that. I know it can be a difficult concept but it works! Just like when I was in school and needed to find something out about a specific subject. Whether it be on the computer or on my phone. I always come up with an answer also. I didn't agree that people should be rude to new comers about it. I just agreed that it is rather annoying to have 6 threads on the first page about the same thing all posted within a short time of each other. If those people would have looked first they would have found an answer and not had to post a whole new thread about it.
    What part of �sometimes when I do a search there is an error page� do you not get?

maybe you missed that? You thought being a smart **** was more important?

I'm going by your couple of sentence. That is enough to turn someone off. You are assuming one hasn't tried doing a search. You also forget that some maybe in panic mode.
    Last edited by FantasticPhotos; 05-27-10 at 07:24 PM.
    05-27-10 07:13 PM
    That's where a nudge from a mod comes in handy, I usually edit the title for them and post up the descriptive title rule.
    Thank u

05-27-10 07:17 PM
    Exactly why i edited this threads' title and moved it!

Thank u for that. Don't mind a bit

05-27-10 07:20 PM
    Well, if you do a search and nothing comes up that answers your question, then it seems like it is ok at that time to start a new thread, but it is better to search first. And technically, it states in the forum rules that you should search first before starting a new thread. I'm all about helping people, but rules are rules.

05-27-10 09:36 PM
    Well, if you do a search and nothing comes up that answers your question, then it seems like it is ok at that time to start a new thread, but it is better to search first. And technically, it states in the forum rules that you should search first before starting a new thread. I'm all about helping people, but rules are rules.

You would think...however when one would ask a question someone tells them to search for themselves that apparently it has been discussed. The op said he or she did and came with an error page. I tried a couple of times searching and an error page comes. Then others there will be tons of threads with tons of posts very overwhelming...and times going through that it doesn't quite answer the question. I usually read. I posted thread from my observance of others.

05-28-10 07:46 AM
    I think the reason people assume you don't search even if you did is because they have either seen the question a lot recently, or they do a quick search and get hundreds of results. If you are getting error pages when trying to do a search, maybe mention that in your post, or let an admin know so they can get to work on fixing it. They can't fix it if they don't know it's broke. I agree it is a little rude to just say do a search.

Something I hate even more, is when someone posts a new problem, then in the next post says that they fixed it, and then disappear without sharing a solution. Or get angry when no one replies within 5 minutes. [/off-topic rant]

edit: I just thought of a solution! Modify the design of the forum a little, and remove the New Thread button from anywhere but a search results page! I'm just being stupid here, but I think that would work.
    Last edited by murialita; 05-28-10 at 01:48 PM.
    05-28-10 01:44 PM
    Bottom line is people come here for answers. They want to ask a question and get a answer as fast as they can and move on.. Notice it's mostly new members and their first post... Some stay and some don't. Or some will check back later in the day to see if their question is answered....

It's really not a big deal IMO... It's a internet forum. If people were not talking we would not exist.

So the best we can do and pass on the good word of "BlackBerry" and help them lol
    05-28-10 01:52 PM
    More throwing of vegetables imo...
    05-28-10 07:17 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD